i needed something to do on my vacation (pedal kits)

13»

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    Novawind wrote:
    Ex, which BYOC do you like best out of the ones you got? IE which one is the most unique and "good-sounding" if that makes sense?

the most unique would be the envelope filter. the best sounding and the best value overall would probably be the rat clone because of the different modes. but they all sound really good.
    Hey, I told my wif aboot tour pedals, and showed her the pics, and she suggested..............

can of auto spray paint to do a base coat. Then for lettering, there are any number of pre-cut stencils available for nix, or figurine modelling metal paint, nail polish etc.
    I'm gonna repaint my Vexter pedals when I get them.

i have all that stuff. i'm not interested in painting them at all any more. if only because the sharpie irks you. :D
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    exhausted wrote:
    i have all that stuff. i'm not interested in painting them at all any more. if only because the sharpie irks you. :D

Very nice, congratulations on doing such tidy wiring. Wifelet says, why don't I do some, answer is obviously that I would cock it up and it would never work. I'm thinking I might want some kind of auto wah/envelope filter type thing at some stage though.

Nothing like new gear to get the urge to play going.

Painting sugestions were purely for you. I don't expect peeps to live their lives on my terms.
    Music is not a competetion.
    well, if you're looking for the autowah thing, i would actually say this isn't the one. it really isn't that chunky and reactive like some of them are. but it definitely sounds like the 440 jonny greenwood used and can do some interesting things.

i actually really like the clips of the line6 otto filter on their website.

i'm eventually just going to polish the tops of these enclosures i've decided. just shine them up a bit.
    exhausted wrote:
    well, if you're looking for the autowah thing, i would actually say this isn't the one. it really isn't that chunky and reactive like some of them are. but it definitely sounds like the 440 jonny greenwood used and can do some interesting things.

i actually really like the clips of the line6 otto filter on their website.

i'm eventually just going to polish the tops of these enclosures i've decided. just shine them up a bit.

Nah, I wus thinking the ooh-wah sounded groovy. I downloaded the sound clips a while bcak, and I can't remember whoch one I liked. Maybe I'll find some in a shop next year and have a play. In Oz, they are only sold by a couple of on-line dealers, so no chance to have a fiddle.
    I'm kinda infatuated by teh ZVEX line, so I'll probably get the whole set eventually, kinda like collecting stamps.
    i've had the fuzz factory a couple times but i didn't find it that musical.

the box of rock look awesome.

i want his wah probe for sure some day.

the oohwah and seekwah sound beautiful. without tap tempo i'd imagine they're a little tricky for recording though.

mind you, if you let the speed of the pedal be the metronome then you're all good.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    Any chance you could post a pic or copy of the Tremolo Pedals PCB TRACE, and a parts list with values???
    I'm thinking about building one for myself from Perf board with point to point wiring.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal
    ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫ ♫
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Any chance you could post a pic or copy of the Tremolo Pedals PCB TRACE, and a parts list with values???
    I'm thinking about building one for myself from Perf board with point to point wiring.
    Cheers . . .

- Ian C.T. vom Saal

http://buildyourownclone.com/treminstructions.pdf

the parts list is there and the schematic is on the last page.
  • scot88scot88 Posts: 217
    thanks for this thread. i tried making my own pedal years ago from just a circuit board, but i couldn't find all the components to finish it. this site is a blessing. i just ordered the octafuzz, and if this goes well, then the wah is next. anyone have any ideas as far as graphics are concerned? i'm thinking a psychadelic/60's theme to the pedal, but aside from that, i got nothing.
  • ianvomsaalianvomsaal Posts: 1,224
    exhausted wrote:
    http://buildyourownclone.com/treminstructions.pdf the parts list is there and the schematic is on the last page.
    Thanks for posting this . . .
    Unfortunately I'm not that good at reading schematics, so PAGE-12 doesn't really help me out all that much.
    However, I can almost make out the entire trace (solder lines, and what's attached to what) from PAGE-9
    (you can basically see most of the trace through the board, though I wish they had an actually PIC of the
    other side so I'm not guessing on some points).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian
    <b><font color="red">CONTACT ME HERE</font>: www.myspace.com/ianvomsaal</b>
  • Ian, you can just buy the board off them for $6
    http://buildyourownclone.com/pcb.html
    ianvomsaal wrote:
    Thanks for posting this . . .
    Unfortunately I'm not that good at reading schematics, so PAGE-12 doesn't really help me out all that much.
    However, I can almost make out the entire trace (solder lines, and what's attached to what) from PAGE-9
    (you can basically see most of the trace through the board, though I wish they had an actually PIC of the
    other side so I'm not guessing on some points).
    Cheers . . .

- Ian

unfortunately, mine's already all set down, stuck to the pots with the standoffs etc. so i can't really get it apart again to get a clear picture of the board.
  • JoooooshJooooosh Posts: 74
    Looks like I might buy their new shredder kit within the near feature, it sounds killer in the video demonstration.
  • i just ordered and built a delay pedal thanks to this thread.

i can see this pedal building becoming a nasty little addiction
    i'm going with wah and vibrato when i do this again. maybe a tonebender and a chorus someday.
    ok. ok. i started painting the boxes now.

still don't know whether i'll do some hand design or use decals. nothing fancy. and i only painted the top face of the box because 1) i think it looks interesting and 2) i don't have to take the whole pedal apart.

painting each box a different colour of hammered finish paint, then just silver letters/designs and then clearcoat.

see this is why i didn't paint them in the first place. it's going to take like 5 days for the clearcoat to set.
  • seanw1010seanw1010 Posts: 1,205
    I go in and out of that everyday. I've gone over year without coming up with anything to be honest, then out of know where I get two songs written in two days. It's the way it goes. Don't put a deadline on yourself or even a "direction". I'd say do what sounds good at the moment. Doesn't matter what it turns out like, it's all about fun.

thats the same with me. im just starting to write songs, and i have around 50, with maybe 10 solid ones. around 3 weeks ago, i suddenly wrote 2 songs, yet i hadnt wrote any since the beginning on january before then. it comes in bursts, i guess
    they call them fingers, but i never see them fing. oh, there they go
    exhausted wrote:
    ok. ok. i started painting the boxes now.

still don't know whether i'll do some hand design or use decals. nothing fancy. and i only painted the top face of the box because 1) i think it looks interesting and 2) i don't have to take the whole pedal apart.

painting each box a different colour of hammered finish paint, then just silver letters/designs and then clearcoat.

see this is why i didn't paint them in the first place. it's going to take like 5 days for the clearcoat to set.

Don't blame me, I gave up.
  • JoooooshJooooosh Posts: 74
    Voiceless wrote:
    i can see this pedal building becoming a nasty little addiction
    That's my only regret from buying these kits, I know I'm going to be spending a lot of money on them.
    exhausted wrote:
    2) i don't have to take the whole pedal apart.
    That's why I wish my pedals came with the old style jacks with the nut on the outside. I was impatient on letting it dry and put the rubber bumpers on like 2 hours after the final layer of clear coat, now it bubbled up right around them =/