i needed something to do on my vacation (pedal kits)

Comments

• exhaustedexhausted Posts: 6,638
    well, my wife called me and apparently the package showed up today despite the tracking saying it arrived monday. so we're back in business.
  • exhausted wrote:
    well, my wife called me and apparently the package showed up today despite the tracking saying it arrived monday. so we're back in business.

Cool, keep us posted.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

https://www.facebook.com/aghostwritersapology/
    i built the envelope filter tonight. it took me about 2.5 hours. 1 hour to do the circuit board and 1.5 to put it into the box and wire it up (i was trying to be really neat).

everything worked 100% on the first go.

only problem was that the screws didn't fit the enclosure which is annoying but they switched enclosures and some kits got mixed up. apparently, he'll send out new ones so no big deal.

definitely the radiohead-ish filter sound. not obscenely funky like your typical autowah though.
  • lucylespianlucylespian Posts: 2,403
    I'm gonna get a Vexter fuzz, then paint it myself. Art stores have lots of "paint pens" for doing ceramic mugs and stuff, so I'm gonna try that. Will be more fun than paying double for the paint job.
    Music is not a competetion.
    in the end i went with a black sharpie. haha. i decided i'd just end up screwing up any attempt at a nice finish.
    exhausted wrote:
    in the end i went with a black sharpie. haha. i decided i'd just end up screwing up any attempt at a nice finish.

What a sook, you can build a pedal, but you can't paint it.

Doh !!!!
  • exhausted wrote:

Shoot in my opinion, it still works! Good enough.
    E. Lansing-98 Columbus-00,03,10 Detroit-00,03 (1&2),06, 14 Cleveland-03,06,10 Toledo-04, Grand Rapids-04,06 London-05, Toronto-05, Indianapolis 10, East Troy (1&2) 11, Chicago 13, Detroit 14

What a sook, you can build a pedal, but you can't paint it.

Doh !!!!

well, i'm just too pragmatic and wanted to get to the payoff of new sounds. i can still do my sticker overlays later if i want.
  • keeponrockinkeeponrockin Posts: 7,446
    I love the simplicity.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
  • exhausted wrote:

Looks freaking killer like that.

• JoooooshJooooosh Posts: 74
    How's the tremolo? I'm thinking about buying that kit.

2.5 hours for one build is pretty good, I think mine both took about 4 hours. You also did a pretty clean job wiring, definitely looks better than mine.
    Very nice tidy build.

It's an age thing, when I was young, aesthetics were of littel interest to me, now they are.

I was just thinking that if you are competent enough to build the pedals, which you clearly are, then a little paint job would be no problem, and a quick trip to an art store will give enough stuff to do the job easy.
    Very nice tidy build.

It's an age thing, when I was young, aesthetics were of littel interest to me, now they are.

I was just thinking that if you are competent enough to build the pedals, which you clearly are, then a little paint job would be no problem, and a quick trip to an art store will give enough stuff to do the job easy.

i've tried in the past with some of the switchers i've built and honestly, i don't have the patience and proper tools to do anything but an amateurish job on the paint.

i'm the exact opposite with aesthetics. i used to drive a red convertible in my youth. now i drive a toyota echo.
    Jooooosh wrote:
    How's the tremolo? I'm thinking about buying that kit.

it sounds great. very transparent and smooth. the only thing i don't like is that the minimum speed is too fast for me. i like really slow tremolo.

so i need to swap out a resistor to change that. maybe put them on a switch for fast/slow ranges.
    I'm 16. I love having things lookin good! Clothes, guitars, hell I'm buying a pedalboard so those look neat.
    Believe me, when I was growin up, I thought the worst thing you could turn out to be was normal, So I say freaks in the most complementary way. Here's a song by a fellow freak - E.V
    i built the muff tonight. it's absolutely bone crushing.
    I'm 16. I love having things lookin good! Clothes, guitars, hell I'm buying a pedalboard so those look neat.

Yeah, young guys these days seem more switched into that stuff.

I was much more a bare-bones guy when young, but times have changesd a lot too. I had one push-bike growing up, designer clothes did not exist, $300 sungalsses were conspicuously absent on the face of teh most well-off kids in my school. Xmas tree lights were a luxury.

These days are better for that stuff.

So, are you gonna paint exhausted's pedals for him, so he's not a feral ??

BTW, there is a great R/V of teh Brian Setzer Hot Rod in that Guitar World I was talking aboot, the one with JAck White on teh cover. Check it oot !!
    Yeah, young guys these days seem more switched into that stuff.

I was much more a bare-bones guy when young, but times have changesd a lot too. I had one push-bike growing up, designer clothes did not exist, $300 sungalsses were conspicuously absent on the face of teh most well-off kids in my school. Xmas tree lights were a luxury.

These days are better for that stuff.

So, are you gonna paint exhausted's pedals for him, so he's not a feral ??

BTW, there is a great R/V of teh Brian Setzer Hot Rod in that Guitar World I was talking aboot, the one with JAck White on teh cover. Check it oot !!

I don't mean DESIGNER clothes necessairly (I'm not gonna wear a $50 shirt, just because) but I also want clothes to look good.

And don't get me started on the purple gretsch haha.
  • MichaelMcKevinMichaelMcKevin Posts: 1,161
    exhausted wrote:

Really diggin' the raw look!
    Camden I '06, Camden II '06, Bonnaroo '08, Camden I '08, Camden II '08, Philly Spectrum II/III/IV '09, MSG I '10, MSG II '10, Made In America '12, Wrigley '13, Brooklyn II '13, Philly I '13, Philly II '13, ...
  • Pacomc79Pacomc79 Posts: 9,404
    Nice touch with the deluxe knobs on the tremolo.

You should paint a brown smiley face and put a prince symbol with the letters TON after it for the marketing. :D
    My Girlfriend said to me..."How many guitars do you need?" and I replied...."How many pairs of shoes do you need?" She got really quiet.
    i'll have to do some clips this weekend once i'm done building the rat. these are really cool pedals.

the muff is seriously a monster. it's amazing.
    exhausted wrote:
    i'll have to do some clips this weekend once i'm done building the rat. these are really cool pedals.

the muff is seriously a monster. it's amazing.
    How do they compare to the real thing?
    I don't mean DESIGNER clothes necessairly (I'm not gonna wear a $50 shirt, just because) but I also want clothes to look good.

And don't get me started on the purple gretsch haha.

I'm not having a go. I only wear Billabong, so I'm in no position to knock anyone. Mind you it lasts forever, and always looks good.

And really, the purple Gretsch says it all dunnit ?
    I'm not having a go. I only wear Billabong, so I'm in no position to knock anyone. Mind you it lasts forever, and always looks good.

And really, the purple Gretsch says it all dunnit ?
    Haha!
    How do they compare to the real thing?

i haven't played a vintage one but i've played the black russians, the big NYC reissue and the new little big muff and it's much better than the NYC ones and even better than the russian which has always been my favourite.

this kit feels more like a distortion than a fuzz but that big saturation is there too. the black russian muff is just a big rubbery sponge of highly compressed fuzz which is charming in it's own way. if the russian is like 66% fuzz and 33% distortion, this kit is maybe 50/50.
    the rat's done.

now i can spend the rest of my vacation playing them.
    Hey, I told my wif aboot tour pedals, and showed her the pics, and she suggested..............

can of auto spray paint to do a base coat. Then for lettering, there are any number of pre-cut stencils available for nix, or figurine modelling metal paint, nail polish etc.
    I'm gonna repaint my Vexter pedals when I get them.
  • NovawindNovawind Posts: 836
    Nice, which Zvex pedals are you getting?

Ex, which BYOC do you like best out of the ones you got? IE which one is the most unique and "good-sounding" if that makes sense?
    If idle hands are the devil's workshop, he must not be very productive.

7/9/06 LA 1
    7/10/06 LA 2
    10/21/06 Bridge 1
    Novawind wrote:
    Nice, which Zvex pedals are you getting?

Ex, which BYOC do you like best out of the ones you got? IE which one is the most unique and "good-sounding" if that makes sense?

I'm prolly getting the fuzz first, then the box of rock.. TBH they are all pretty interesting. I like the ooh-wah and those wacky ones like the seek-wah/trem-wah as well as the super duper two in one. If I needed a clean boost, that is what I would get.

I really like the sound of the Nano too. I'm in the US in a few months, with specific music shopping plans, so I'll be filling me pockets then for sure.

I like amps. I prefer to seek tone variation through amps, than guitars. I nearly scored a Mesa Road King today at a bargain price, but was outbid with 6 secs to go. Oh well !!