Parenting high school children

Good lord.  I have three kids.  10, 13, 16.  My 16 year old was the most rule abiding, super respectful, grades always great, hard working child that ever was.....and then he wasn't.  Parenting high school, can drive, work, need to be everywhere with friends all the time, need to do ALL THE THINGS, and then try to hide SOME of those things -- you know which things.  My goodness.  No one prepared me for this.  I do hold the reigns pretty tight sometimes --  I know that.  If any of you high school parent veterans want to offer advice -- I'll take it!  You parents out there that have younger kids -- you get to wait to offer advice.  You have big ideas - i did too.  But you're not there yet. 

And then tonight....he gets home from skiing all day and says, "Hey dad.  Don't you have like a bunch of record players?  Can I have one for my room?"  We spent the next hour going through records - me giving him a bunch to start with and it's like....all is okay in the world -- for now.  

Serious on the advice piece.  Parenting small children was a dream compared to the perceived freedom and lack of discipline that a 16 year old has.  Love that kid.  Reminds me of....me. 
“I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America

Comments

• Its a thankless task indeed. Ive raised 4 if my own and i now  have the unenviable task of raising someone  else's.   All i can say is i am invisible. I agree my 4 year old is easy
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Beat them.

I'm kidding of course.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,650
    Military school.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    Ha! Great answers. Part of my reasons for remaining childless.

I appreciate the OP’s post in its humor and honesty. Wish I had a response in kind, except  to say that you too were once that age. That “I just have to!” state of mind that may or may not ease over time.

Hell, I dunno either :lol:

I do wish you luck!
  • JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,692
    Patience is the key. We raised 3 through their teenage years. They each had a few years that were a little rough, but eventually they settled back in to not being jerks (as much). We just had to wait it out and go with the flow.
  • Kids are assholes past the age of  5 esspecaily,  boys 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    Kids are assholes past the age of  5 esspecaily,  boys 
    I have said to my wife countless times: "our son is an asshole" (He's 17 currently)
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Patience is the key. We raised 3 through their teenage years. They each had a few years that were a little rough, but eventually they settled back in to not being jerks (as much). We just had to wait it out and go with the flow.

I agree. Patience, love and affection even when they don't seem to want that (they do), and a light touch. Where possible give the benefit of the doubt and recognize that learning requires fucking up. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Poncier said:
    I have said to my wife countless times: "our son is an asshole" (He's 17 currently)
    You  speak the truth sir
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Poncier said:
    You  speak the truth sir

At certain ages, you wonder if you're actually raising a psychopath :lol: 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,890
    I don’t mean to derail this thread but I’ve thought a lot about how there’s NO WAY I would bring a child into the world these days. All the anger, dysfunction, misinformation and crap on “social media.”

Is our U.S. totally fucked or will the next generation bring us back to functional civility?
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    Wobbie said:
    I don’t mean to derail this thread but I’ve thought a lot about how there’s NO WAY I would bring a child into the world these days. All the anger, dysfunction, misinformation and crap on “social media.”

Is our U.S. totally fucked or will the next generation bring us back to functional civility?
    As long as you're not bringing a child into the world, Wobbie, I still have hope. Not that I'm too concerned about it, of course, since a specimen of your vintage likely just ejaculates dust.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,653

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,426
    I've raised four kids.  Tough love is my best advice. Don't be afraid to let them know how much they rely on you (phone, food, shelter, clothes, transportation, etc.) and come down hard when needed.

We had a few "if you don't like it go pack your shit" conversations which usually got our point across.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • JojoRiceJojoRice Posts: 4,204
    I'm not a parent but I'm currently in my 11th year of teaching high school.  You definitely have to have some patience and don't hesitate to lay down the law and set boundaries.  Just make sure you stick to whatever laws/boundaries that you lay down.  
    "I got memories, I got shit"

ISO 2016 Greenville shirt. Size medium. PM me if you have one for sale/trade.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,426
    edited January 2022
    I'm amazed to look back at my high school years vs our kids. 

No cell phones meant no way for parents to check up. I had a curfew but if I broke it my parents had no fucking idea where I was. Sometimes they would call friends/girlfriends to see if they knew anything but I cannot imagine going through that myself.

I also think today kids are much smarter related to drunk driving, etc. We were fucking idiots.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
    dankind said:
    Wobbie said:

As long as you're not bringing a child into the world, Wobbie, I still have hope. Not that I'm too concerned about it, of course, since a specimen of your vintage likely just ejaculates dust.

haha....asshole. :angry:

I'm serious, dan....I would imagine parent have always worried about their kids, but isn't it much worse today? usta be, the parents could somewhat mold the values of their children. now, you have "social media influencers" who can do that.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    I'm amazed to look back at my high school years vs our kids. 

No cell phones meant no way for parents to check up. I had a curfew but if I broke it my parents had no fucking idea where I was. Sometimes they would call friends/girlfriends to see if they knew anything but I cannot imagine going through that myself.

I also think today kids are much smarter related to drunk driving, etc. We were fucking idiots.
    all of this 100%.   I can't imagine being a teen today and having your parents know where you are all the time.  It was glorious heading out for a night and parents having no idea where we going. The only thing they knew was pretty much who I was going out with.  Of course I'm sure all of that added 1000% to parents anxiety back then...unless it was more out of sight out of mind kind of deal. I imagine our parents all thought we were going to end up in a ditch.  hard to believe we survived teens to mid 20s with all the fucked up shit we did that would never fly today.  crazy but fun to think back on those times.
  • dankind said:
    Wobbie said:

I fuckin spat my drink  out. Well done dan
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    I would advise that you remember how you were when you were young.  Did you ever lie about where you were, what you were doing, etc…..?  I did so I approached raising teenagers asking not what they should do but rather what I did and assumed I would have to deal with those issues as they arose.  I’ve had both go to court.  One for a driving violation and one I wish would have been a driving issue.  Let’s see, they both did some underage drinking, just like I did.  I dealt with the younger getting arrested for purchasing heroine and when that happened I could have kicked myself in the ass because I knew for 3 months that something was wrong. Absolute worst time in my life so far.  Both are great adults now, extremely successful,  etc so for that I thank God.  
    If you think somethings wrong, there is. 
    Assume that at anytime they could be lying to you. 
    If you have to deal with an issue like I did tough love is what ended it.  When I refused to go the hospital the second time he totaled his car  while DUI that’s when he finally got the message that I was done.  He was breaking my heart and I just couldn’t take watching him kill himself.  My only comment was “how many chances do you think god gives you?” Obviously there’s more to tell but always trust your instincts and check them every time they walk in the house.  I also took him for urine tests every other day….I wasn’t taking any chances.  I was the tough love, husband was not.  Get on the same page with your spouse/partner because if not it’s that much more difficult.  Good luck!  I’m always here if anyone needs help or questions.  
  • Meltdown99Meltdown99 Posts: 10,739
    Sell the unruly older ones…the younger ones will fall in line…

Give Peas A Chance…
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    If you think somethings wrong, there is. 

Assume that at anytime they could be lying to you. 

I'm not a parent either, but I was young once.  This is 100% true, pay attention, talk to your children.  If you think there is an issue with one of your kids, take them aside and talk to them.  Make them talk to you.  Ask them the hard questions, about drugs, drinking, school issues, friend issues, relationship issues, let them know that they can come to you.  I never felt that way with my parents, and my parents were great people; providers; but not very approachable.  You need to be approachable and engaged, especially now with social media.  Pay attention.
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    THANKS PURE FOR ADDING WHAT I MISSED!!!!  I love and appreciate what you added.  
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,522
    two girls, 13 and 16. hoo boy it's an interesting road. the shit i was getting into at both their ages....i can't even fathom either of them doing. And I know for a fact the older one doesn't (homebody). But the younger one is super social and when she's around friends, we don't exist. She's a lovely kid, but I know when she gets to be an older teen there will definitely be some issues with boundaries and rules and such. 

the pandemic has definitely tempered a lot of the potential issues, so far, for sure. more limitations for socialization in big groups. 

I agree with Gern 100%. I have no idea how my parents didn't end up in a mental ward with the shit they knew i was doing, the people I was doing it with, and where were probably doing it, and had no idea if they'd get a call that I was in the morgue or missing or half eaten by a bear. 

the biggest advice is stay engaged. the worst thing you can do is alienate them out of frustration and pride. you WILL get hurt. Told you are hated, stupid, ignorant, etc. Put the pride away and focus on what matters, not those words, but where they are coming from. Ask them questions ALL THE TIME. "how was your day?". "hmmmmppphhh" (stomps downstairs). Next day: "how was your day?". "hmmmmpphhh (stomps downstairs). Until one day you'll get "not bad".

One of the biggest lessons I learned about parenting, I actually learned as a teenager. 

My sister was complaining to her friend how our parents are the strictest of anyone we knew (truth), and how awful it is that we have to leave wherever we are before anyone else, and hours before anyone else, and how her friend gets to do whatever she wants. She turned to my sister and said "at least you know they care". 

that hit me like a ton of bricks. as much as I despised my parents, and didn't want to talk to them most of the time, I knew their hearts were in the right place, because they kept showing me they were. that had an affect. (and I actually used that whenever some dick would make fun of my curfew-"at least my parents give a shit!"). 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• two girls, 13 and 16. hoo boy it's an interesting road. the shit i was getting into at both their ages....i can't even fathom either of them doing. And I know for a fact the older one doesn't (homebody). But the younger one is super social and when she's around friends, we don't exist. She's a lovely kid, but I know when she gets to be an older teen there will definitely be some issues with boundaries and rules and such. 

the pandemic has definitely tempered a lot of the potential issues, so far, for sure. more limitations for socialization in big groups. 

I agree with Gern 100%. I have no idea how my parents didn't end up in a mental ward with the shit they knew i was doing, the people I was doing it with, and where were probably doing it, and had no idea if they'd get a call that I was in the morgue or missing or half eaten by a bear. 

the biggest advice is stay engaged. the worst thing you can do is alienate them out of frustration and pride. you WILL get hurt. Told you are hated, stupid, ignorant, etc. Put the pride away and focus on what matters, not those words, but where they are coming from. Ask them questions ALL THE TIME. "how was your day?". "hmmmmppphhh" (stomps downstairs). Next day: "how was your day?". "hmmmmpphhh (stomps downstairs). Until one day you'll get "not bad".

One of the biggest lessons I learned about parenting, I actually learned as a teenager. 

My sister was complaining to her friend how our parents are the strictest of anyone we knew (truth), and how awful it is that we have to leave wherever we are before anyone else, and hours before anyone else, and how her friend gets to do whatever she wants. She turned to my sister and said "at least you know they care". 

that hit me like a ton of bricks. as much as I despised my parents, and didn't want to talk to them most of the time, I knew their hearts were in the right place, because they kept showing me they were. that had an affect. (and I actually used that whenever some dick would make fun of my curfew-"at least my parents give a shit!"). 
    Great post
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

I wrecked cars, got high, etc. when I was a teenager….but I was a good kid….and the world was a much better place.

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Wobbie said:
    I wrecked cars, got high, etc. when I was a teenager….but I was a good kid….and the world was a much better place.
    Don’t you mean that you wrecked dinosaurs and the world was a less populated place?

Nothing else to add. I’m lucky to be alive. Good luck.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    Wobbie said:
    Those Model-T's were expensive to fix, your folks must have been pissed.
  • Good points on how we fucked shit up but expect maybe  our kids won't.  They will.
    Im proud my eldest 3 made it to 18 . 21. 23  in one piece  and are now wonderful humans.  Still got a 4 year old to guide and like i say somebody elses 15 year old boy oh boy.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Wow.  I have thoroughly enjoyed reading through this.  Humorous, insightful, truly touching.  My kids are wonderful...except for when they're not.  
    Honestly, I was moved and inspired by a lot of what I read through this.  Keep it coming!
    “I suppose our capacity for self-delusion is boundless.” ― John Steinbeck, Travels with Charley: In Search of America