Options

Ukraine

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    I think Roger Waters has finally gone off the deep end:

https://www.stereogum.com/2201705/roger-waters-claims-hes-on-a-ukrainian-kill-list/news/

Roger Waters has claimed to be on a Ukrainian “kill list,” telling Rolling Stone: “Don’t forget, I’m on a kill list that is supported by the Ukrainian government. I’m on the fucking list, and they’ve killed people recently.… But when they kill you, they write ‘liquidated’ across your picture. Well, I’m one of those fucking pictures.” The Pink Floyd co-founder, in recent months, has been an overtly political presence in the media and on his This Is Not A Drill tour, which displays a “War Criminals” montage with a photo of Joe Biden. He also recently wrote an open letter to the Ukrainian first lady asking her to encourage her husband, President Volodymyr Zelensky, to sue for peace with Russia.

Waters has previously gone on the record numerous times as being against the war in Ukraine (among many other global issues), which has been under siege by neighboring Russia since early 2022. In his interview with Rolling Stone, Waters calls the documented Russian war crimes in Ukraine “lies, lies, lies” told by “Western media propaganda.”

“And when I read stuff, which I have done in blogs and things, criticizing me for my … I always go and look and see where it came from,” he says. “And it’s amazing how often when I’ve done the hunt and hunted it down, it is da, da, da.ukraine.org.”

As Rolling Stone lays out, Waters being on a Ukraine government “kill list” is not entirely true. It’s also not not true. There reportedly is a list maintained by a far-right Ukrainian organization that contains thousands of names of people perceived to be enemies. The site has been “roundly internationally condemned” but not taken down by the Ukrainian government. The site also claims not to be a “kill list” but instead “information for law enforcement authorities and special services.”

Ultimately, Rogers blames NATO for Russia’s invasion of Ukraine, calling the ongoing situation an “unnecessary war.” He adds: “And those people should not be dying. And Russia should not have been encouraged to invade the Ukraine after they tried for 20 years to avoid it by suggesting diplomatic measures to Western governments.” Read Rolling Stone‘s full interview with Waters here.

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    You know, I really used to like Roger Waters.  I thought he was misguided in his anti-Israel stance, but now I think it's more than that.  His position on Ukraine is just awful.  I don't understand how someone that is so left, rotates to the right.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    You know, I really used to like Roger Waters.  I thought he was misguided in his anti-Israel stance, but now I think it's more than that.  His position on Ukraine is just awful.  I don't understand how someone that is so left, rotates to the right.  
    I honestly am starting to believe the anti-semite criticisms are now justified. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,786
    mrussel1 said:
    I honestly always thought they were. I honestly can’t stand him and would never even think about seeing him in concert. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I honestly always thought they were. I honestly can’t stand him and would never even think about seeing him in concert. 
    a lot of people did, especially right leaning folks. His criticisms, up until now, seemed justified and balanced to me (as someone who has a limited understanding of the politics of the region). But now he's just blaming jews for random shit, which to me screams bigot. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    I never really dug into his personal views, but assumed it was more anti-Zionist, pro-Palestinian.  But I now agree with HFD (and you).
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    I read the actual transcript and it comes off as less unhinged than the reporter paints it in his piece.  He isn't wrong that the Israel government is sanctioning annexation of Palestinian lands and homes and has been doing so for quite a while.  I didn't read any anti=semitism in the piece.  Of course I am taking the comments of funding as pointing towards AIPAC types and the direct atrocities that are being committed daily on the Palestinians , rather than on Jewish people in general.

I think he is wrong on Ukraine on certain aspects.  He condemns Putin and Russia in the actual interview, then goes on to talk about the west provoking Russia, and that this doesn't justify the Russian response. In reference to the interviewer bringing up a theme of his show being you can't have occupation and human rights, he says" its true of every occupation. It's true of the Russian invasion of the Ukraine. true of every occupation. It's true of the Russian invasion of the Ukraine. It's true of all occupations, of all land by any imperialist power."

I think he is wrong in not believing there are any instances of human rights violations as these things are being pretty well documented. He gets very argumentative with the reporter with a back and forth of who gets the facts where and how believable sources can be. here is an excerpt from the interview.  

Ball: | mean isn't it up to Ukraine to resolve it? Not up to America. | mean this the issue with this frame. of the world. Its great power politics. Don't we believe i the right people to self determination? ‘

Waters: Yes. But the people of the Ukraine elected Zelenskyy as their new president and hopefully their new government in 2019, on the platform that he was going to end the Civil War, as they called it then, in the Donbas, implement the Minsk I agreements, and it's make peace with the Russian and Federation by saying that they would not join NATO. That is the platform he stood on and he got-

Ball: think the Ukrainian public position on that probably moved somewhat when Russia moved 200,000 troops into- ‘

Waters: Well, they didn't do it. They didn't do it. That was three years ago. That's three years ago. Somebody held a gun to Zelenskyy's head and said, "You're not doing that. We don't want you to do that.” Or why did he change his mind? Why did policy change?

Ball: | don't think anyone forces someone to send in 200,000troops andheavy armor. ‘

Waters: Im not saying that, Ball. I'm not an idiot. I'm not saying anyone forced Putin. | was surprised ‘when they invaded. But | was also interested in the language that they used, the special military o
    peration. And also point 8 was that they wanted to de-Nazify. Well that's different because there ‘weren't many Nazi in the Donbas, but there's a lot in the government in Kyiv. So those two things are somewhat self contradictory | think. Though | do understand the concern after the Maidan coup over the fact that the Russians believe that Ukraine is ruled by Nazis. And they may be right or not. “This is why the whole thing of everybody pouring so much energy into propaganda makes it so difficult for people like you and me, who care about the truth, to delve into it and turn the stones over and try. and find out what the truth is. would love to know what the truth is about Russian's raping babies or not and all of that. And the graves that they've found in the -

Ball: The ICC and the UN do have war crime investigators there. We're not just relying on media or relying on Ukrainian government reports, which obviously are going to be unreliable. I's war time. There are independent bodies there that ae finding early evidence of this and are launching ful scale: investigations. We've got to believe in something, haven't we? ‘

Waters: Yes, we have. But the problem s, Ball is that when we send people in to do these jobs, if they come up with inconvenient truths, they are rejected. Look at the invasion of Iraq in 2003. I know you'll g0, "Oh yeah, well ”Yeah, of course they lied about weapons of mass destruction, openly in the United Nations. Colin Powell on the floor of the General Assembly making his speech. "We have intelligence. We know that Saddam Hussein could bomb..." TonyBlair was telling us, "Saddam Hussein" could bomb. Cypress or something in 45 minutes with a nuclear weapon. | mean, we can grin about it, but a million ragsdied, and Hans Blix was oneofthe major... Theywent and they said, there aren't anyweapons of mass destruction. And they told them all and they went, “We're not interested."
    Ball: Yeah. Although he was allowed to say that it was there, the UN didn't endorse the invasion. Most of the USA's allies didn't endorse the invasion. That the UN then could say or its investigators could say we can't see this ‘"

So sure the guy is a little out there on somethings and is maybe off the majority view but he doesn't come off as anti semitic or anti Ukraine when looking at the interview in context.  It is pretty clear that he sees this as a battle between Russia and western powers, chiefly the US...from that perspective it seems like a needless war.  To the people of Ukraine it is a fight for their land and survival. I don't think it is as cut and dried as either or, but I absolutely believe that the people of Ukraine should be fighting for their country. I am not sure we will know all the facts about Russia V Ukraine until the war is over and the histories are written, and even then I will be a little skeptical.

My take is that there is definitely some crazy in that interview but not nearly as much or as bad as the interviewer's story presents.  For the full transcript see 
    https://www.documentcloud.org/documents/23117683-rogerwaters_jamesball_editedtranscript?responsive=1&sidebar=0&title=1 

Also a link to the site that keeps the kill list. trigger warning there are gruesome pictures of what I assume are dead Russian soldiers purportedly posted so their mothers will see them.
    https://myrotvorets-center.translate.goog/?_x_tr_sl=auto&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

and Waters alleged Hitlist page.... People on the list have been killed and after the word Liquidated appears on their image
    https://myrotvorets.center/criminal/uoters-rodzher/
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Thanks for the sharing this.  It takes a bit of the edge off, but it's still a terrible mistake by Roger.  He's an international figure and he is blurring the lines.  In a time like this, you have to speak with moral clarity, and he is not.  In 1936, one could make an argument that Germany was justified in some of their early aggressions because of the oppression of Versailles.  And many did, in the United States.  Squishy statements embolden dictators, giving them a chance to divide the West.  Roger Waters is old enough to know better.  And if he does, and still makes these statements, he's a fool and maybe worse.  
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,796
    mrussel1 said:
    Thanks for the sharing this.  It takes a bit of the edge off, but it's still a terrible mistake by Roger.  He's an international figure and he is blurring the lines.  In a time like this, you have to speak with moral clarity, and he is not.  In 1936, one could make an argument that Germany was justified in some of their early aggressions because of the oppression of Versailles.  And many did, in the United States.  Squishy statements embolden dictators, giving them a chance to divide the West.  Roger Waters is old enough to know better.  And if he does, and still makes these statements, he's a fool and maybe worse.  

my impression during the show we left early is he seemed to relish being in  the run like hell regalia
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

my impression during the show we left early is he seemed to relish being in  the run like hell regalia
    Did you leave early because of the perspective?

I saw him on the last tour, during the Trump presidency, and he was clearly anti-Trump.  But he was not anti-US, pro Russia or anything remotely close. 
  • Options
    I plan on getting a nosebleed ticket for tomorrows show.  I was planning on it previous to hearing about his latest gaffes, but thought I would be out of town...I had a work Visa for SA get delayed so I figured why not.  Can't pass up a chance to hear a crack band play the Pink Floyd hits with Roger. Also a couple of his solo songs are great, hearing "Bravery Of Being Out Of Range" live will be worth the $35 bucks to me.  He is misguided on some things right now for sure, but I don't see him advocating for the destruction of Israel or for Ukraine to simply roll over, if he was telling people to inject bleach and to move to Russia for true freedom etc I would definitely be rethinking my plans.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

I saw him on the last tour, during the Trump presidency, and he was clearly anti-Trump.  But he was not anti-US, pro Russia or anything remotely close. 

part of it. ticketmaster fucked up to start. sold upper bowl. Chose specific seats. row a on the aisle. get there, am reseated. ok , the stage set up sucked. in the rounnd in the shape of a cross. 15 ft high video screens in the shape of a cross. obstructed views halfway up the lower bowl.

then grandpa ranter came on stage. the US is the source of all the worlds ills. (umm roger. look at you own countries history before you talk smack fucker), videos didnt match any of the music in my view AND it wasnt as well played imo.

so I paid that motherfucker $95 plus fees to get yelled at in my own fucking country.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Intermission and I’m blown away.  Not leaving early.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    at what point do Russian troops get so demoralized that they just stop fighting?
    Fear of...
    at what point do Russian troops get so demoralized that they just stop fighting?
    if putin is anything at all like stalin, the retreating soldiers will either be forced to fight the ukranians, or will be shot by their own troops upon retreat.
    ...this.  And it wouldn't surprise me.  Years ago, I meet a Russian man who was here working as a translator.  He told me when he was younger he was given the choice of enlisting in their armed forces or going to a psychiatric institution.  Not being a warrior type, he chose the later, not realizing the horrors he would face there.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options

In rebuke of Putin, rights defenders in Ukraine, Russia, Belarus awarded Nobel

Updated October 7, 2022 at 6:20 a.m. EDT|Published October 7, 2022 at 5:11 a.m. EDT

KYIV, Ukraine — The 2022 Nobel Peace Prize was awarded Friday to a trio of human rights defenders in Ukraine, Belarus and Russia, delivering another pointed international rebuke of Russian President Vladimir Putin for his war in Ukraine, and condemnation of widespread abuses and repression by the Kremlin chief and his ally, Belarusian dictator Alexander Lukashenko.

The prize committee named Ukraine’s Center for Civil Liberties (CCL), which is working to document alleged war crimes by the Russian invaders; the Russian human rights group Memorial; and imprisoned Belarusian human rights advocate Ales Bialiatski as its annual Peace Prize winners, marking the second consecutive year Putin critics were among those designated for the award.

“They have for many years promoted the right to criticize power and protect the fundamental rights of citizens,” the Norwegian Nobel Committee said in announcing the winners.

Although the committee did not name Putin or Lukashenko in its announcement, it was another high-profile reproach of the oppressive means the prize winner’s governments have embraced to centralize power and silence opponents at home and abroad.

Lukashenko, who has brutally repressed critics in Belarus since claiming reelection in a 2020 vote that has widely been denounced as fraudulent, allowed his country to be a launching point for Putin’s failed attempt to seize Kyiv, the Ukrainian capital. And Putin, while initiating a full-scale war against Ukraine, has cracked down harshly on critics of the war, political opponents, journalists and other dissenters.

continues.....

• Options
    edited October 2022
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

part of it. ticketmaster fucked up to start. sold upper bowl. Chose specific seats. row a on the aisle. get there, am reseated. ok , the stage set up sucked. in the rounnd in the shape of a cross. 15 ft high video screens in the shape of a cross. obstructed views halfway up the lower bowl.

then grandpa ranter came on stage. the US is the source of all the worlds ills. (umm roger. look at you own countries history before you talk smack fucker), videos didnt match any of the music in my view AND it wasnt as well played imo.

so I paid that motherfucker $95 plus fees to get yelled at in my own fucking country.
    I find this on par with people complaining about pearl jam not "sticking to music". he's been ranting and raving about the US government for decades. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

I find this on par with people complaining about pearl jam not "sticking to music". he's been ranting and raving about the US government for decades. 
    He didn't limit it to the US government last night.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,108
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

For a guy that couldn't even keep a band together he sure thinks he has all the right ideas on how the world should work together ;)
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

For a guy that couldn't even keep a band together he sure thinks he has all the right ideas on how the world should work together ;)
    Waters is certainly a flawed genius. 
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:

:o 
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,299
    I like David better!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options

Explosion damages bridge to Crimea, hurts Russia supply line
    By ADAM SCHRECK and VASILISA STEPANENKO
    11 mins ago

KYIV, Ukraine (AP) — An explosion Saturday caused the partial collapse of a bridge linking the Crimean Peninsula with Russia, damaging an important supply artery for the Kremlin's faltering war effort in southern Ukraine. Russian authorities said a truck bomb caused the blast, which killed three people.

The speaker of the Russian-backed regional parliament in Crimea immediately accused Ukraine of being behind the explosion; Moscow didn’t apportion blame. Ukrainian officials have repeatedly threatened to strike the bridge and some lauded the destruction, but Kyiv stopped short of claiming responsibility.

The explosion risked a sharp escalation in Russia’s eight-month war, with some Russian lawmakers calling for President Vladimir Putin to declare a “counterterrorism operation” in retaliation, shedding the term “special military operation” that had downplayed the scope of fighting to ordinary Russians.

The Kremlin could use such a move to broaden the power of security agencies, ban rallies, tighten censorship, introduce restrictions on travel, and expand a partial military mobilization that Putin ordered last month.

Hours after the explosion, Russia’s Defense Ministry announced that the air force chief, Gen. Sergei Surovikin, would command all Russian troops in Ukraine. Surovikin, who over the summer was placed in charge of troops in southern Ukraine, had led Russian forces in Syria and was accused of overseeing a brutal bombardment that destroyed much of the city of Aleppo.

Moscow, however, continues to suffer battlefield losses.

On Saturday, a Kremlin-backed official in Ukraine’s Kherson region announced a partial evacuation of civilians from the southern province, one of four illegally annexed by Moscow last week. Kirill Stremousov told Russia’s state-run RIA Novosti agency that young children and their parents, as well as the elderly, could be relocated to two southern Russian regions because Kherson was getting “ready for a difficult period.”

The 19-kilometer (12-mile) Kerch Bridge, on a strait that connects the Black Sea and the Sea of Azov, is a tangible symbol of Moscow’s claims on Crimea and an essential link to the peninsula, which Russia annexed from Ukraine in 2014. The $3.6 billion bridge, the longest in Europe, is vital to sustaining Russia's military operations in southern Ukraine. Putin himself presided over the bridge’s opening in 2018.

The attack on it “will have a further sapping effort on Russian morale, (and) will give an extra boost to Ukraine’s,” said James Nixey of Chatham House, a think tank in London. “Conceivably the Russians can rebuild it, but they can’t defend it while losing a war."

Russia’s National Anti-Terrorism Committee said a truck bomb caused seven railway cars carrying fuel to catch fire, resulting in the “partial collapse of two sections of the bridge.” A man and a woman in a vehicle on the bridge were killed, Russia’s Investigative Committee said. It didn’t say who the third victim was.

All vehicles crossing the bridge are supposed to undergo state-of-the-art checks for explosives. The truck that exploded was owned by a resident of the Krasnodar region, in southern Russia. Russian authorities said the man's home was searched and experts were looking at the truck’s route.

Train and automobile traffic over the bridge was temporarily suspended. Automobile traffic resumed Saturday afternoon on one of the two links that remained intact from the blast, with the flow alternating in each direction, Crimea’s Russia-backed regional leader, Sergey Aksyonov, wrote on Telegram.

Rail traffic was resuming slowly. Two passenger trains departed from the Crimean cities of Sevastopol and Simferopol and headed toward the bridge Saturday evening. Passenger ferry links between Crimea and the Russian mainland were being relaunched Sunday.

While Russia seized areas north of Crimea early during its invasion of Ukraine and built a land corridor to it along the Sea of Azov, Ukraine is pressing a counteroffensive to reclaim those lands.

The Russian Defense Ministry said its troops in the south were receiving necessary supplies through that corridor and by sea. Russia’s Energy Ministry said Crimea has enough fuel for 15 days.

Russian war bloggers responded to the bridge attack with fury, urging Moscow to retaliate by striking Ukrainian civilian infrastructure. Putin ordered the creation of a government panel to deal with the emergency.

Gennady Zyuganov, head of the Russian Communist Party, said the “terror attack” should serve as a wake-up call. “The long-overdue measures haven’t been taken yet, the special operation must be turned into a counterterrorist operation,” he said.

Leonid Slutsky, head of the foreign affairs committee in the Russian parliament’s lower house, said “consequences will be imminent” if Ukraine was responsible. And Sergei Mironov, leader of the Just Russia faction, said Russia should respond by attacking key Ukrainian infrastructure, including power plants, bridges and railways.

Such statements may herald a decision by Putin to declare a counterterrorism operation.

The parliamentary leader of Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy’s party stopped short of claiming that Kyiv was responsible, but appeared to cast the bridge explosion as a consequence of Moscow’s takeover of Crimea.

“Russian illegal construction is starting to fall apart and catch fire. The reason is simple: If you build something explosive, then sooner or later it will explode,” said David Arakhamia of the Servant of the People party.

The Ukrainian postal service announced it would issue stamps commemorating the blast, as it did after the sinking of the Moskva, a Russian flagship cruiser, by a Ukrainian strike.

The secretary of Ukraine's National Security and Defense Council, Oleksiy Danilov, tweeted a video with the Kerch Bridge on fire and Marilyn Monroe singing her famous “Happy Birthday Mr. President” song. Putin turned 70 on Friday.

In Moscow, Foreign Ministry spokeswoman Maria Zakharova said “the reaction of the Kyiv regime to the destruction of civilian infrastructure shows its terrorist nature.”

Local authorities in Crimea made conflicting statements about what the damaged bridge would mean for residents. The peninsula is a popular destination for Russian tourists and home to a naval base. A Russian tourist association estimated that 50,000 tourists were in Crimea on vacation on Saturday.

Elsewhere, the U.N. nuclear watchdog said Ukraine’s Zaporizhzhia nuclear power plant has lost its last remaining external power source as a result of renewed shelling and is now relying on emergency diesel generators.

Ukrainian authorities were also just beginning to sift through the wreckage of the devastated city of Lyman in eastern Ukraine, assessing the humanitarian toll and the possibility of war crimes after a months-long Russian occupation.

The blast on the bridge occurred hours after explosions rocked the eastern Ukrainian city of Kharkiv early Saturday, sending towering plumes of smoke into the sky and triggering secondary explosions. Ukrainian officials accused Russia of pounding Kharkiv, Ukraine’s second-largest city, with surface-to-air missiles in two largely residential neighborhoods.

Kharkiv resident Tetiana Samoilenko's apartment caught fire in the attack. She was in the kitchen when the blast struck, sending glass flying.

“Now I have no roof over my head. Now I don’t know what to do next,” the 80-year-old said.

___

Stepanenko reported from Kharkiv, Ukraine. Francisco Seco contributed from Kharkiv.

___

Follow the AP’s coverage of the war at https://apnews.com/hub/russia-ukraine

• Options
    I like David better!
    I do like David, but man, Rogers is just untouchable. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    benjsbenjs Toronto, ON Posts: 8,938
    I like David better!
    Roger for songwriting, David for that sexy as hell guitar tone, and his not dickishness.
    '05 - TO, '06 - TO 1, '08 - NYC 1 & 2, '09 - TO, Chi 1 & 2, '10 - Buffalo, NYC 1 & 2, '11 - TO 1 & 2, Hamilton, '13 - Buffalo, Brooklyn 1 & 2, '15 - Global Citizen, '16 - TO 1 & 2, Chi 2

EV
    Toronto Film Festival 9/11/2007, '08 - Toronto 1 & 2, '09 - Albany 1, '11 - Chicago 1
  • Options
    Did I mention it was one of the greatest shows I have ever heard. 

Scio me nihil scire

• Options

• Options
    benjs said:
    I like David better!
    Roger for songwriting, David for that sexy as hell guitar tone, and his not dickishness.
    for sure. If I saw Roger on the street (or Billy Corgan), I'd just keep walking. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited October 2022
    Anyone else worried about the nuclear saber rattling and talk of armageddon coming from the two nuclear powers.  This type of thing being casually discussed on the news and in papers has me very uneasy and was one of the main reasons I have/had major apprehensions about a Russian proxy war.
    Scio me nihil scire

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    benjs said:
    I like David better!
    for sure. If I saw Roger on the street (or Billy Corgan), I'd just keep walking. 
    That actually happened to me last year (Billy). 
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    defend this apologists.......

gift article..

Using Adoptions, Russia Turns Ukrainian Children Into Spoils of War

Thousands of Ukrainian children have been transferred to Russia. “I didn’t want to go,” one girl told The New York Times from a foster home near Moscow.

Emma Bubola

By Emma Bubola

Emma Bubola, a Times reporter based in London, spent weeks locating Ukrainian children and families affected by Russia’s resettlement policy.

Oct. 22, 2022, 12:02 a.m. ET

As Russian forces laid siege to the Ukrainian city of Mariupol this spring, children fled bombed-out group homes and boarding schools. Separated from their families, they followed neighbors or strangers heading west, seeking the relative safety of central Ukraine.

Instead, at checkpoints around the city, pro-Russia forces intercepted them, according to interviews with the children, witnesses and family members. The authorities put them on buses headed deeper into Russian-held territory.

“I didn’t want to go,” said Anya, 14, who escaped a home for tuberculosis patients in Mariupol and is now with a foster family near Moscow. “But nobody asked me.”

In the rush to flee, she said, she left behind a sketchbook containing her mother’s phone number. All she could remember were the first three digits.

continues......