Options

Viruses / Vaccines 2

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    AW124797 said:
    Happy trolling? Haha. I made one comment and was instantly trolled by Mr Expert and, as usual, followed by the Angry Mob. Can't have a dfferent opinion or a civil debate here. Pure lunacy and entertainment. I can imagine each topic being discussed in the same manner on this forum. 
    Because your opinion is that same tired old dance from the last two years from the "vaccines don't work" crowd. it's ignorant and/or selfish simply because you a) don't grasp the science and/or 2) don't care about others this may affect. 

science evolves with knowlege. try it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,496

If you're dismissing over a million deaths (just in the US alone) because the victims were overweight, elderly or had underlying conditions, you're not here for a civil debate. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    I don't understand why anyone is bothering with this universal influenza vaccine.  The flu is only risky to young children, older people and people with co-morbidities.  So call it 50% of the population.  I'm not really concerned about them.  Seems like a waste of time for me personally.  Which is my entire frame of reference.   https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/3542699-us-begins-testing-a-universal-flu-vaccine/
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    mrussel1 said:
    I don't understand why anyone is bothering with this universal influenza vaccine.  The flu is only risky to young children, older people and people with co-morbidities.  So call it 50% of the population.  I'm not really concerned about them.  Seems like a waste of time for me personally.  Which is my entire frame of reference.   https://thehill.com/changing-america/well-being/prevention-cures/3542699-us-begins-testing-a-universal-flu-vaccine/

(Looks at checklist). Well, these don't apply to me so I don't care. Of course I hope to be an older person one day, so it's kind of a dilemma for what to do for the people that matter (i.e., me). Maybe I'll start caring with enough lead time so things are going good by the time I become an older person. Not there yet though, so in looking out for #1, I don't care and you should not, either.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    What the BA.5 Subvariant Could Mean for the United States https://nyti.ms/3Ayrgia
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Screw the FDA. They don’t actually care about the people; it’s more about kickbacks and their questionable (to put it lightly) relationship with the Pharm industry.

Fuck em. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,792
    hedonist said:
    Screw the FDA. They don’t actually care about the people; it’s more about kickbacks and their questionable (to put it lightly) relationship with the Pharm industry.

Fuck em. 
    Yet they seem shocked that nobody trusts them anymore. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,802
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 
    Kickbacks?  Have any examples of kickbacks?
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 
    When Rolling Stone is critical of the FDAs approval process,  we need to sit up and listen.  They have proven themselves to be not only medial experts,  but also experts in Duke rape cases and UVA culture issues.  You'll have to excuse me for not giving a fuck about RS.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    mrussel1 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 
    When Rolling Stone is critical of the FDAs approval process,  we need to sit up and listen.  They have proven themselves to be not only medial experts,  but also experts in Duke rape cases and UVA culture issues.  You'll have to excuse me for not giving a fuck about RS.
    Hahahahaha! 
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 
    Oxy and lots of other drugs. The film Dope Sick comes to mind. Kinda think many insurance companies are in on it too. Personally, I find it interesting that I can get virtually any opioid prescribed for my post-cancer pain, but alternative medicine like acupuncture? No bloody way — not enough money to be made.

If you’re pro FDA and not cynical of their “work”, that’s great for you. I disagree. I think they’re made up of some pretty shitty people. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 
    Oxy and lots of other drugs. The film Dope Sick comes to mind. Kinda think many insurance companies are in on it too. Personally, I find it interesting that I can get virtually any opioid prescribed for my post-cancer pain, but alternative medicine like acupuncture? No bloody way — not enough money to be made.

If you’re pro FDA and not cynical of their “work”, that’s great for you. I disagree. I think they’re made up of some pretty shitty people. 
    You're accusing them of criminal activities.  So I'm wondering where that has come out, been proven,  etc. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 

You're accusing them of criminal activities.  So I'm wondering where that has come out, been proven,  etc. 
    For one, Purdue pleaded guilty to criminal wrongdoing in 2020. I imagine there are many others but I won’t be doing research to placate you. I’m more than comfortable in my assessments 😉

This has nothing to do with RS for me, by the way. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 

For one, Purdue pleaded guilty to criminal wrongdoing in 2020. I imagine there are many others but I won’t be doing research to placate you. I’m more than comfortable in my assessments 😉

Well it's just strange to besmirch the agency charged with protecting the public health of this country,  along with the 18k employees.  But screw them, right.

When they approve a drug,  do you do your own research and testing before you take something prescribed by your physician?
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,732
    I get it about being skeptical of the FDA, but then I feel that way about all government agencies- FDA, EPA... FBI, CIA, BBC, B.B. KING, DORIS DAY, MATT BUSBY... you name it. 
    But it's not that I'm against these agencies.  The hard right would like to see them all disbanded (terrible idea, in my opinion).  I just want to see them be more efficient and accountable. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    I get it about being skeptical of the FDA, but then I feel that way about all government agencies- FDA, EPA... FBI, CIA, BBC, B.B. KING, DORIS DAY, MATT BUSBY... you name it. 
    But it's not that I'm against these agencies.  The hard right would like to see them all disbanded (terrible idea, in my opinion).  I just want to see them be more efficient and accountable. 
    Absolutely.  I think some forget that these agencies are made up of just normal people who work hard every day, and try to do a good job.  Many are physicians and researchers that are giving up much larger incomes in the private sector, to work in a federal agency.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:
    Absolutely.  I think some forget that these agencies are made up of just normal people who work hard every day, and try to do a good job.  Many are physicians and researchers that are giving up much larger incomes in the private sector, to work in a federal agency.  

I had a friend years ago who worked in a government office.  Smart guy, hard worker, liked his job.  He said to me one time (wow!  so very reminiscent of what you just said!), "I get so sick of people asking me why I would work for the government.  They tell me how f'ed up and crooked and evil the government is.  That's bullshit.  The government is mainly made up of normal people like me just trying to work hard and do a good job."
    I was a federal employee working for the 2000 Census and can attest to that.  True, for me it was a temp position that lasted a little less than a year, but some of the people I worked with were regular full time federal employees.  That was a very busy office.  We worked hard and there a spirit of teamwork and pride in what we were doing.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 

Well it's just strange to besmirch the agency charged with protecting the public health of this country,  along with the 18k employees.  But screw them, right.

When they approve a drug,  do you do your own research and testing before you take something prescribed by your physician?
    How could I possibly test something my doc has prescribed? I research each of them though, and choose whether or not to take them. I’ve turned down plenty and still have intense pain. Every. Fucking. Day. 

Yet, I have a problem when drugs like Oxy and morphine and fentanyl are being prescribed for long-term use. Those can fuck a person up. So can low-dose antidepressants, which while they can work for pain, there’s no way I’m taking something for months that can fuck with my mind. But lots of people are cool with it and that’s fine. I’m just not one of them. 

And of course, there’s a striking need for more efficiency and accountability. Doesn’t happen that often though on any government level — which I find sad, and frustrating.

So yeah, fuck the FDA. I honestly don’t believe the powers that be have anything other than the bottom line in mind (and how to keep increasing it). 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 

How could I possibly test something my doc has prescribed? I research each of them though, and choose whether or not to take them. I’ve turned down plenty and still have intense pain. Every. Fucking. Day. 

Yet, I have a problem when drugs like Oxy and morphine and fentanyl are being prescribed for long-term use. Those can fuck a person up. So can low-dose antidepressants, which while they can work for pain, there’s no way I’m taking something for months that can fuck with my mind. But lots of people are cool with it and that’s fine. I’m just not one of them. 

And of course, there’s a striking need for more efficiency and accountability. Doesn’t happen that often though on any government level — which I find sad, and frustrating.

So yeah, fuck the FDA. I honestly don’t believe the powers that be have anything other than the bottom line in mind (and how to keep increasing it). 
    Okay I get it.  You think that Oxy, Morphine and other narcotic pain killers should never have been legalized in the United States.  I can see that because it's all about the bottom line at the FDA.  I was just looking at their quarterly reporting and the net income of the FDA is through the roof.  Their bottom line has never been stronger, probably the most profitable gov't agency.  

And if I go over to Breitbart, I can read all about the kickbacks and swelling profits at the EPA as well.  
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    mrussel1 said:
    brianlux said:

I had a friend years ago who worked in a government office.  Smart guy, hard worker, liked his job.  He said to me one time (wow!  so very reminiscent of what you just said!), "I get so sick of people asking me why I would work for the government.  They tell me how f'ed up and crooked and evil the government is.  That's bullshit.  The government is mainly made up of normal people like me just trying to work hard and do a good job."
    I was a federal employee working for the 2000 Census and can attest to that.  True, for me it was a temp position that lasted a little less than a year, but some of the people I worked with were regular full time federal employees.  That was a very busy office.  We worked hard and there a spirit of teamwork and pride in what we were doing.

That's great.  Gov't service is something that should be celebrated, and it used to be in this country.  Now thanks to social media, political vendettas and loonies at the end of the bar that now have a platform, gov't workers are the enemy.  It's sad.  
  • Options
    edited July 2022
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 

I know you're not a Gov. Newsom fan, but I wonder, there is a new plan for California to produce it's own insulin (and possibly other drugs in the future) with the intent to make medications more affordable.   I wonder if that might give you some hope (at least as a California resident)?

• Options
    edited July 2022
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 

I know you're not a Gov. Newsom fan, but I wonder, there is a new plan for California to produce it's own insulin (and possibly other drugs in the future) with the intent to make medications more affordable.   I wonder if that might give you some hope (at least as a California resident)?

Unfortunately, no, as for me (at least) it’s not about affordability. 

And Mr Russell, I never said those drugs shouldn’t be legal. Please don’t put words in my mouth; it’s unnecessary. 
  • Options
    And an aside for the mods: Why does my post have “about” with ellipses? I didn’t put them there. 
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 

They have been examples of FDA employees suddenly getting mid 6 figure salaries with private companies.
    Nothing really illegal about hiring former FDA employees. But it’s definitely a conflict of interest when you’re supposed to be restricting potential future employers with a massive pay increase.
    A drug that really shouldn’t have been approved gets approved, then the FDA employees working on it get hired on privately at 10 times their previous salary.
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    It’s good to know it’s not just MAGA that is trying to tear down our institutions and governance. 

Like everything, there are people involved. So I’m sure some unethical behavior from time to time. 

And I hope y’all are aware that FDA plays in a much bigger space then just prescription meds. They do a lot of good … and even, dare I say it… can be too strict at times with manufacturers.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,119
    mace1229 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 

They have been examples of FDA employees suddenly getting mid 6 figure salaries with private companies.
    Nothing really illegal about hiring former FDA employees. But it’s definitely a conflict of interest when you’re supposed to be restricting potential future employers with a massive pay increase.
    A drug that really shouldn’t have been approved gets approved, then the FDA employees working on it get hired on privately at 10 times their previous salary.

The American system is set up for private companies to benefit from innovation. Part of that includes allowing workers to move from govt jobs to private sector. That is pure capitalism, letting the wealthier companies get better. 

In other countries, if govt resources are used for advances in medicine, or even energy, the govt, and by extension, their taxpayers, benefit financially. In America, if big pharma develops a new treatment with help from R and D credits (thanks taxpayers!) , they profit. And who pays the most internationally? Americans, of course. Who gets the best deals on cheaper medicine developed in part by American taxpayers? Europeans??
  • Options
    It’s good to know it’s not just MAGA that is trying to tear down our institutions and governance. 

Like everything, there are people involved. So I’m sure some unethical behavior from time to time. 

And I hope y’all are aware that FDA plays in a much bigger space then just prescription meds. They do a lot of good … and even, dare I say it… can be too strict at times with manufacturers.
    For example, they went too far with the baby formula issue with that manufacturer in the midwest.  
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    mace1229 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:
    mrussel1 said:
    hedonist said:

Fuck em. 

The American system is set up for private companies to benefit from innovation. Part of that includes allowing workers to move from govt jobs to private sector. That is pure capitalism, letting the wealthier companies get better. 

In other countries, if govt resources are used for advances in medicine, or even energy, the govt, and by extension, their taxpayers, benefit financially. In America, if big pharma develops a new treatment with help from R and D credits (thanks taxpayers!) , they profit. And who pays the most internationally? Americans, of course. Who gets the best deals on cheaper medicine developed in part by American taxpayers? Europeans??
    Yes. And if that first paragraph is true, and I agree it is, it makes those government employees not want to be in bad standing with the big companies they are supposed to monitor. Because they want a job with them in the future.
    Probably not illegal unless you get someone admitting there was bribing going on with job offers, but definitely sets up a conflict of interest. There may not even be any discussions about what to let slide, but just a culture of if I shut you down I know I’ll never get hired.