Options

LINGONBERRY LEAGUE (Spiritual_Chaos' boutique vinyl label)

13»

Comments

• Options
    FR181798 said:
    The artwork looks great BTW. I like the drawer thing. I've never seen that before.
    Thank you :)

mickeyrat said:
    FR181798 said:
    The artwork looks great BTW. I like the drawer thing. I've never seen that before.

it does. was this your concept? or his originally?
    It was mine

Basically, with this being rough homedemos, I wanted to somewhat capture his songwriting. And he has in several interviews through the years talked about how he writes songs - he sits down at his desk with a notepad, a pen, a recorder and a small children's keyboard. So my first idea was to have all these things on the cover. But it proved difficult getting these to photograph, so I simplified it. 

The drawer thing I liked because it gave an opportunity to throw in a potpourri of mementos and fragments of things for fans to see. Like seeing a glimpse of things in the background in a Danny Clinch-video from the PJ HQ. So there are some demo-cassettes in there and a glimpse of lyrics to songs that were written but never recorded. And his first single that he pressed by himself in like 1981 when no one knew who he was.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,001
    edited August 2022

Late night working.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,768
    FR181798 said:

mickeyrat said:
    FR181798 said:

It was mine

Basically, with this being rough homedemos, I wanted to somewhat capture his songwriting. And he has in several interviews through the years talked about how he writes songs - he sits down at his desk with a notepad, a pen, a recorder and a small children's keyboard. So my first idea was to have all these things on the cover. But it proved difficult getting these to photograph, so I simplified it. 

The drawer thing I liked because it gave an opportunity to throw in a potpourri of mementos and fragments of things for fans to see. Like seeing a glimpse of things in the background in a Danny Clinch-video from the PJ HQ. So there are some demo-cassettes in there and a glimpse of lyrics to songs that were written but never recorded. And his first single that he pressed by himself in like 1981 when no one knew who he was.

well done sir. very creative. cant say I have seen such an idea, tying the inner and outer sleeve as you have. most often the inner is generic.

so is this guy still around? plans on gifting him a copy?
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    FR181798 said:

mickeyrat said:
    FR181798 said:

It was mine

well done sir. very creative. cant say I have seen such an idea, tying the inner and outer sleeve as you have. most often the inner is generic.

so is this guy still around? plans on gifting him a copy? 
    Yes. I pitched the idea of the vinyl directly to him, and he has been involved. I sent him his copies he wanted today actually :)

• Options
    - Got too few inserts because the pressing plant got too few inserts from the printer. Still hasn't gotten the missed one sent to me. zzz
    - My idea to put every single album into a plastic sleeve is a step that takes a lot of times, instead of just shipping them without a plastic sleeve. I am to kind and caring for my own good. But will start sending out albums next week, and drop them off at the record stores that was nice enough to act as a "pick up point".

Here is the artist doing an unboxing when he got his album(s):

https://www.instagram.com/reel/ChkEFBQq4cF/?utm_source=ig_web_copy_link
  • Options
    FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,164
    Looks really good. Looks a much better "package" than some big acts are putting out. The nerd in me would like to read a little step by step of how this came about, what was involved in getting this manufactured etc. I would hope you are really proud of this.
    In terms of packing for posting, more expensive but the ideal solution would have been a separate polylined inner. It's good you included a poly outer sleeve as it gives it a little bit of protection in the post and when they are shipped to you but I tend to think people re-sleeve records themselves anyway depending on their own outer sleeve preference. The pizza style boxes are okay, I would say vinyl shipping materials have moved on a bit since these were the best available.  Nowadays it's all about oversized mailers that keep the sleeve away from the corners but again they can be pricey. 
  • Options
    FR181798 said:
    Looks really good. Looks a much better "package" than some big acts are putting out. The nerd in me would like to read a little step by step of how this came about, what was involved in getting this manufactured etc. I would hope you are really proud of this.
    The whole timeline, or something specific?

I'm shipping packages now. Every day. Should have rented a truck and went to the post terminal, but cheapening out and walk with two post bags every day to my local post office/kiosk. 

A friend is helping me fill his car to the brim tonight and leave at the post office too. 
  • Options

Shipped I would imagine 200-250 albums (waiitng for more "poster" inserts for the rest
    Today I will start deliver albums to the five record stores around Sweden, nice enough to act as pick-up points for people. Shit to have to drive for 5 hours to Stockholm with albums, but don't really dare to ship them. 
  • Options
    Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 29,001
    edited September 2022

So it begins. A scalper selling it for five times the price. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,768
    edited September 2022

So it begins. A scalper selling it for five times the price. 

consider it a compliment......

you made something flippable!!!!
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    So much hassle with a few select people who bought this...

Might be doing a reissue of an older album by another Swedish artist. But have so little time this year, so who knows. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,785
    Too bad you couldn't just have the select few return item and credit them. Sure it's tough being a one person operation. I admire that you did it. Very cool.
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Too bad you couldn't just have the select few return item and credit them. Sure it's tough being a one person operation. I admire that you did it. Very cool.
    98% has gone well. But with some of the buyers there been hassle. Pain in the ass kind of things. 

But I was doing things for the first time. A lot of things can be streamlined. Lessons learned etc.

I was also a bit too nice giving people the choice to pick up their album at one of four different record stores in five different cities around Sweden (to save on their shipping). This led to some people not getting the email informing them that it had arrived and could be picked up and people not picking the album up for months etc (I told them to please pick up their album within a month). In my naive mind I thought people would rush to pick up their copy ASAP. Made me stressed out also, because the record stores helped out with their time by handing the albums out etc. many were thankful because it made people visit the store etc. But yeah.

Next time I will not serve people by transporting 100+ album across the country to Stockholm (I don't even have a driver's licence) so they can save on shipping.  I will also take "market standards" price and not "this is just a hobby-thing, so who am I to charge for it?"-prices. And, I will solve some webshop-kind of solution instead of what I did this time -- having people transfer money to my bankaccount labeled with a order-ID I had to give everyone manually who preordered. That caused hassle too. People labeling their transfer VINYL or with nothing at all instead of with their unique number, making it impossible for me to know who it came from. Etc.

But it was just 2% hassle all in all. But still... 

Seems the next project might happen. Will have to be a double LP.

And then I will be less nice to people. PAY UP AND GET IT SHIPPED AND I TAKE NO RESPONSIBILITY FOR YOU PICKING THE PACKAGE UP OR WHAT THE POST OFFICE DOES AFTER I DROP IT OFF. AND YES THE SHIPPING COST MIGHT BE EXPENSIVE BUT I ACTUALLY LOOSE MONEY ON IT WHEN YOU COUNTER IN PACKAGING AND EVERYTHING.
  • Options
    Set to discuss a new release at the end of the month. Pretty tricky though, with it having had a release years ago (CD) but no art is saved. So making the cover will need some thinking about.

Will try to make some money off it for the work I put in this time to maybe. Haha.