Options

Organized robberies in L.A. Hints of societal breakdown?

Comments

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,781
    so theres a thing here in columbus. groups of teens carjacking. other petty property crimes.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719

:rofl:  I love it!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,008
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    It will be the norm as long as it’s minimized and allowed to happen. We’re not even supposed to cal it looting because that has too much of a negative connotation. And yet they can loot freely and as already pointed out, almost no consequence even if caught.
    No, that's flat out wrong. It's incorrect to call it looting because it isn't looting, it's robbery. Looting is a different thing. 
    Per Wikipedia: Looting is the act of stealing, or the taking of goods by force, typically in the midst of a military, political, or other social crisis, such as war,[1] natural disasters (where law and civil enforcement are temporarily ineffective),[2] or rioting.[3] 

How is this not looting? That’s exactly what it is, but we’re not supposed to call it that.

Because the sort of robbery you are talking about is not in the midst of a military, political or social crisis such as war or natural disaster. It's just robbery. That seems like a pretty simple distinction. 
    Not picking you out because this has been a discussion, but there seems to be more grievance with the term than the incredible amount of crime that’s taking place over there. 
    Not sure what I'm supposed to say about the level of crime. I prefer accurate use of terms to avoid confusion in discussion, so that's why I commented on this. 
    this stems from the "Cancelled!" thread where mace posted an article where one person in that article claimed that looting was a racist term only used when black people are the criminals. 

most of the article made sense, in that it made the distinction, as you did, between looting (opportunistic stealing during a crisis) and robbery (planned stealing of goods). 
    ??? I haven’t even opened that thread in at least 2 weeks, probably been months since I even posted there.
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    edited November 2021
    mace1229 said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    It will be the norm as long as it’s minimized and allowed to happen. We’re not even supposed to cal it looting because that has too much of a negative connotation. And yet they can loot freely and as already pointed out, almost no consequence even if caught.
    No, that's flat out wrong. It's incorrect to call it looting because it isn't looting, it's robbery. Looting is a different thing. 
    Per Wikipedia: Looting is the act of stealing, or the taking of goods by force, typically in the midst of a military, political, or other social crisis, such as war,[1] natural disasters (where law and civil enforcement are temporarily ineffective),[2] or rioting.[3] 

How is this not looting? That’s exactly what it is, but we’re not supposed to call it that.

Because the sort of robbery you are talking about is not in the midst of a military, political or social crisis such as war or natural disaster. It's just robbery. That seems like a pretty simple distinction. 
    Not picking you out because this has been a discussion, but there seems to be more grievance with the term than the incredible amount of crime that’s taking place over there. 
    Not sure what I'm supposed to say about the level of crime. I prefer accurate use of terms to avoid confusion in discussion, so that's why I commented on this. 
    this stems from the "Cancelled!" thread where mace posted an article where one person in that article claimed that looting was a racist term only used when black people are the criminals. 

most of the article made sense, in that it made the distinction, as you did, between looting (opportunistic stealing during a crisis) and robbery (planned stealing of goods). 
    ??? I haven’t even opened that thread in at least 2 weeks, probably been months since I even posted there.
    my apologies if I mixed you up with another poster. My memory isn't always the best. 

edit: it was nicknyr. sorry about that mace. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    No worries, I was just really confused. 
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    I think we need to agree on some definitions here.  Can we agree on these?:
    Looting, the act of looting, the act of stealing during a general disturbance.
    Robbery:  The act of taking someone's property without the owner's consent, but it has some elements that theft doesn't require. Robbery involves taking property from a person and using force, or the threat of force, to do it.
    Theft: the act of taking someone else's property without the owner's consent and with the intention to permanently deprive the owner of its use or possession.

If we can agree on those definitions, then the incidents involved in the article linked at the beginning of this thread involve both theft and robbery, not looting.  Those incidents did not involve looting during protests.  In other words, this is not another Black Lives Matter, or George Floyd thread.  It's about what appears to be an increase in crimes that are not involved in social unrest or protesting.  It revolves around the concern I have regarding what seems to me to be a collapse of morals among certain groups of people who commit these acts without regard to their victims.  This is why I question whether this all might be a sort of warning sign or precursory indication of some form of social breakdown. 

Have there been other reported cases of these massive smash and grabs before last week? If so, then that would probably change my mind, but I haven’t heard of any.

in my opinion this started during the 2020 riots and set a precedent in what is acceptable. Looting was taking place during several of the riots. I remember video of people walking out of the Nike store in daylight just feet away from police who just stood there and watched. 
    Fast forward 18 months and it looks connected to me. Too big of a coincidence that it happens the day the verdict comes out (unless like I said before this has been happening). Instead of setting buildings on fire that can eventually put you in jail, why not just steal thousands of dollars of goods instead?  If the looting of summer 2020 didn’t happen I don’t see these smash n grabs happening as the new form of protest. Therefore I see it connected to the riots and why I justify calling it looting.

Thats my take on it and I’m not too concerned if you share my opinion or not based on the definition. Not that I’m not interested in others’ opinions, but more as I see this as an insignificant detail in everything going on right now. You can disagree it’s connected and I will respect that opinion.

But to answer your question it has the potential be to part of a societal breakdown if it’s allowed to continue. Not even trying to stop it before I could only imagine encourages it. If they use any video to make arrests and prosecute these incidents then I could see it stopping. I heard they made 2 arrests, which isn’t a lot for the amount of people involved, but hopefully that means they are investigating it and will lead to more.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    Robbery:  The act of taking someone's property without the owner's consent, but it has some elements that theft doesn't require. Robbery involves taking property from a person and using force, or the threat of force, to do it.
    Theft: the act of taking someone else's property without the owner's consent and with the intention to permanently deprive the owner of its use or possession.

If we can agree on those definitions, then the incidents involved in the article linked at the beginning of this thread involve both theft and robbery, not looting.  Those incidents did not involve looting during protests.  In other words, this is not another Black Lives Matter, or George Floyd thread.  It's about what appears to be an increase in crimes that are not involved in social unrest or protesting.  It revolves around the concern I have regarding what seems to me to be a collapse of morals among certain groups of people who commit these acts without regard to their victims.  This is why I question whether this all might be a sort of warning sign or precursory indication of some form of social breakdown. 

Have there been other reported cases of these massive smash and grabs before last week? If so, then that would probably change my mind, but I haven’t heard of any.

in my opinion this started during the 2020 riots and set a precedent in what is acceptable. Looting was taking place during several of the riots. I remember video of people walking out of the Nike store in daylight just feet away from police who just stood there and watched. 
    Fast forward 18 months and it looks connected to me. Too big of a coincidence that it happens the day the verdict comes out (unless like I said before this has been happening). Instead of setting buildings on fire that can eventually put you in jail, why not just steal thousands of dollars of goods instead?  If the looting of summer 2020 didn’t happen I don’t see these smash n grabs happening as the new form of protest. Therefore I see it connected to the riots and why I justify calling it looting.

Thats my take on it and I’m not too concerned if you share my opinion or not based on the definition. Not that I’m not interested in others’ opinions, but more as I see this as an insignificant detail in everything going on right now. You can disagree it’s connected and I will respect that opinion.

But to answer your question it has the potential be to part of a societal breakdown if it’s allowed to continue. Not even trying to stop it before I could only imagine encourages it. If they use any video to make arrests and prosecute these incidents then I could see it stopping. I heard they made 2 arrests, which isn’t a lot for the amount of people involved, but hopefully that means they are investigating it and will lead to more.

It seems to be a fairly recent thing but not specific to L.A.  The following article mentions other "smash and grab" more than one incident in San Francisco (as Hedonist mentioned), Hayward and Walnut Creek in the East Bay Area, and a Louis Vuittan store in Chicago.

There is nothing new about looting occurring during riots (that goes back several decades), and these incidents are thefts and robberies, so I would be hesitant to point to rioting as a cause. 

The article link above cites various reasons including lack of law enforcement resources, decriminalization of lower level crimes, organized crime rings hiring low-level criminals to carry out the theft, increased crime during holidays (which would indicate a more temporary situation), ease of selling stolen items on line-line sites and flee markets (eBay, for example, has sometimes been referred to as the biggest fencing operation in the world). 

The article does not mention rioting and rules out pandemic as a likely cause.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

It seems to be a fairly recent thing but not specific to L.A.  The following article mentions other "smash and grab" more than one incident in San Francisco (as Hedonist mentioned), Hayward and Walnut Creek in the East Bay Area, and a Louis Vuittan store in Chicago.

There is nothing new about looting occurring during riots (that goes back several decades), and these incidents are thefts and robberies, so I would be hesitant to point to rioting as a cause. 

The article link above cites various reasons including lack of law enforcement resources, decriminalization of lower level crimes, organized crime rings hiring low-level criminals to carry out the theft, increased crime during holidays (which would indicate a more temporary situation), ease of selling stolen items on line-line sites and flee markets (eBay, for example, has sometimes been referred to as the biggest fencing operation in the world). 

This may be a first for the AMT, but I’ll admit I think I changed my mind on this. The first ones Friday night could still be under the guise of a protest for the verdict (I’ve always believed the looting was more taking advantage of the situation than making your voice heard, and that would be no different for those on Friday).
    But these seemed more organized, using vehicles to block streets and a flash mob that takes some planning. I still think the timing is too much of a coincidence. Possibly they thought it’d be easier to get away with it if there were protests going on at the same time or something. 
    As long as these are successful with minimal or no consequences, I’d predict it gets worse and not better. It sounds like it’s still a low priority, so I expect to see more cases.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:
    mace1229 said:
    brianlux said:

This may be a first for the AMT, but I’ll admit I think I changed my mind on this. The first ones Friday night could still be under the guise of a protest for the verdict (I’ve always believed the looting was more taking advantage of the situation than making your voice heard, and that would be no different for those on Friday).
    But these seemed more organized, using vehicles to block streets and a flash mob that takes some planning. I still think the timing is too much of a coincidence. Possibly they thought it’d be easier to get away with it if there were protests going on at the same time or something. 
    As long as these are successful with minimal or no consequences, I’d predict it gets worse and not better. It sounds like it’s still a low priority, so I expect to see more cases.

I really hope this kind of thing doesn't spread.  One encouraging note is that I'm not seeing a lot of crime reported this Black Friday.  Reports around the Bay Area at least seem to indicate things were fairly normal.  Hope it stays that way!

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    The debate on looting as a term cracks me up - specifically that Wikipedia is the quoted source.
    Opinion supported by other opinions.  
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Societal breakdown?  Possibly.  People are getting smarter, or dumber on how blatant they can be.

I have noticed an increase in mini bikes and people riding w no helmets.  That is a law here in NY.
    Something else that is going up is mini bike crime.  Organized hits or robberies using them as getaway vehicles.
    The smash and grabs have always happened just not as frequent now.  You have a lot of copycats that see that and think they can do it too.

With the ease of penalties on theft there have been organized walmart and other store "walkouts".  They load up there carts and just walk out.  If they get caught they are just let go nowadays.

With everything being videoed and everyone always w a phone in their hand these things are being filmed more for more people to see.
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,504
    It is nothing new, it has happened sporadically in the past. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and remember it happening a few times at a mall, amusement parks and county fairs. Large groups of teenagers and young adults grabbing merchandise and then fleeing. The lack of social media back then kept it localized. Now someone does it in California, and someone else sees it online and gets the idea to do it it at their location and it becomes a trend.
  • Options
    It is nothing new, it has happened sporadically in the past. I grew up in the SF Bay Area and remember it happening a few times at a mall, amusement parks and county fairs. Large groups of teenagers and young adults grabbing merchandise and then fleeing. The lack of social media back then kept it localized. Now someone does it in California, and someone else sees it online and gets the idea to do it it at their location and it becomes a trend.
    it goes viral....  Yeah man, let's go steal too!
  • Options
    Societal breakdown?  Possibly.  People are getting smarter, or dumber on how blatant they can be.

I have noticed an increase in mini bikes and people riding w no helmets.  That is a law here in NY.
    Something else that is going up is mini bike crime.  Organized hits or robberies using them as getaway vehicles.
    The smash and grabs have always happened just not as frequent now.  You have a lot of copycats that see that and think they can do it too.

With the ease of penalties on theft there have been organized walmart and other store "walkouts".  They load up there carts and just walk out.  If they get caught they are just let go nowadays.

With everything being videoed and everyone always w a phone in their hand these things are being filmed more for more people to see.
    Your  comment about more video camera and phones is interesting.  On the one hand, video security devices are going to assist in capturing more criminals.  On the other hand, they are becoming more common and I'm beginning to think that is not just because they are more available.  I think they are becoming more necessary.  A friend of mine, for example, who is a level headed person not prone to dramatizing, paranoia, or fads, recently installed five video surveillance cameras around his house because theft is on the rise here- and this is just little Podunk Placerville, not some typical big inner city crime ridden town.   He agrees with my notion that society is beginning to become unhinged and crime and chaos is on the increase.
    And honestly, if he and I are wrong.... great!  But I'm not betting on it.

• Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    I don't see this as a societal collapse. 
    "You know what I blame this on the breakdown of? Society."
    --Moe Szyslak
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    It's just an evolution in crime. They have been done before, just not in such quick succession I think.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    It's just an evolution in crime. They have been done before, just not in such quick succession I think.

I can't see it as "just".  I grew up in suburban Bay Area south of San Francisco in the 50's.  I don't think anyone in the neighborhood kept their doors locked.  We didn't.    Us kids on our block used to wander into the homes of other kid's we knew. When we went away for a day or two, we kept the doors unlocked.
    And then one day we came home and we had been robbed.  That felt like the end of innocence to me.  And now everyone locks their doors and people have video surveillance around their house.  What a sad deal all this is.

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,967
    brianlux said:

I can't see it as "just".  I grew up in suburban Bay Area south of San Francisco in the 50's.  I don't think anyone in the neighborhood kept their doors locked.  We didn't.    Us kids on our block used to wander into the homes of other kid's we knew. When we went away for a day or two, we kept the doors unlocked.
    And then one day we came home and we had been robbed.  That felt like the end of innocence to me.  And now everyone locks their doors and people have video surveillance around their house.  What a sad deal all this is.
    By "just" I mean that stores will adjust to help prevent such things. Which is the way most things go...we adapt to change.

Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    brianlux said:

By "just" I mean that stores will adjust to help prevent such things. Which is the way most things go...we adapt to change.

That they must do that is something that disturbs me. 

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I think putting all this in context is important. Overall crime is at a nearly 40 year low. That includes violent and property. The advent of 24 hour and global news, along with social media and everyone with a camera in their hand, lends to the perception that things are getting worse, when they aren't. you're just more aware of what's going on because of the barrage of recordings and the media's bottom line being heavily influenced by reporting on what captures people. it isn't puff pieces about a local dog shelter.  

https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I think putting all this in context is important. Overall crime is at a nearly 40 year low. That includes violent and property. The advent of 24 hour and global news, along with social media and everyone with a camera in their hand, lends to the perception that things are getting worse, when they aren't. you're just more aware of what's going on because of the barrage of recordings and the media's bottom line being heavily influenced by reporting on what captures people. it isn't puff pieces about a local dog shelter.  

https://www.disastercenter.com/crime/uscrime.htm

I hope so, my friend.  I'm all in favor of a better world, not a worse one!

• Options
    Sure does seem like nothing is being done about it and there are no consequences.

14 arrested in connection to smash-and-grab thefts in Southern California, authorities say

LOS ANGELES — The Los Angeles Police Department announced Thursday more than a dozen arrests after a series of smash-and-grab thefts across the city in recent weeks where nearly $340,000 worth of merchandise was stolen.

Fourteen people were arrested in connection with 11 brazen robberies between Nov. 18 and 28, and all are out of custody, police Chief Michel Moore said. Most bailed out or met no-bail criteria, and one is a juvenile, he said. 

Gascón’s office said in a statement Thursday that those who commit smash-and-grab thefts will be held accountable. 

“Our office has been collaborating with multiple law enforcement agencies and once all the evidence has been gathered, we will review the cases to determine what criminal charges should be filed,” Alex Bastian, special advisor to Gascón, said in the statement. “These brazen acts hurt all of us: retailers, employees and customers alike.” 

San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin last week announced felony charges against nine people for a series of thefts, and Bay Area prosecutors announced a joint effort to combat organized retail theft.

In the Bay Area, the City Council in Walnut Creek this week approved an additional $2 million for policing after nearly 100 thieves wearing ski masks carried out a smash-and-grab mob robbery at a Nordstrom store in November. An estimated $125,000 in merchandise was stolen. 

14 arrested in connection to smash-and-grab thefts in Southern California, authorities say (msn.com)

09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,774
    Sure does seem like nothing is being done about it and there are no consequences.

14 arrested in connection to smash-and-grab thefts in Southern California, authorities say

LOS ANGELES — The Los Angeles Police Department announced Thursday more than a dozen arrests after a series of smash-and-grab thefts across the city in recent weeks where nearly $340,000 worth of merchandise was stolen.

Fourteen people were arrested in connection with 11 brazen robberies between Nov. 18 and 28, and all are out of custody, police Chief Michel Moore said. Most bailed out or met no-bail criteria, and one is a juvenile, he said. 

Gascón’s office said in a statement Thursday that those who commit smash-and-grab thefts will be held accountable. 

“Our office has been collaborating with multiple law enforcement agencies and once all the evidence has been gathered, we will review the cases to determine what criminal charges should be filed,” Alex Bastian, special advisor to Gascón, said in the statement. “These brazen acts hurt all of us: retailers, employees and customers alike.” 

San Francisco District Attorney Chesa Boudin last week announced felony charges against nine people for a series of thefts, and Bay Area prosecutors announced a joint effort to combat organized retail theft.

In the Bay Area, the City Council in Walnut Creek this week approved an additional $2 million for policing after nearly 100 thieves wearing ski masks carried out a smash-and-grab mob robbery at a Nordstrom store in November. An estimated $125,000 in merchandise was stolen. 

14 arrested in connection to smash-and-grab thefts in Southern California, authorities say (msn.com)

Problem solved. I’m sure they’ll all learn their lesson. 
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Who said anything about “problem solved?” A few posts were lamenting that nothing would be done and that there’d be no consequences though. Funny that.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:

Who said anything about “problem solved?” A few posts were lamenting that nothing would be done and that there’d be no consequences though. Funny that.

I think he had to have been joking... right, Nick?

• Options
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Not joking. There’s little consequence to their action, which I’m sure they knew before hand. Plus it looks like the Bay Area is refunding the police to combat this. This article seems to confirm all this, unless I’m misunderstanding? 
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    A chi-chi restaurant I regularly pass by on my walks was robbed last night. Guys pull up, guns drawn, take shit from a patron and boom. Gone!

It’s pretty much a regular thing here now, unfortunately. 

This is the general feeling of those around my neighborhood toward this and similar situations. 

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Was it Brad Pitt?
    :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    nicknyr15 said:
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

Not joking. There’s little consequence to their action, which I’m sure they knew before hand. Plus it looks like the Bay Area is refunding the police to combat this. This article seems to confirm all this, unless I’m misunderstanding? 

I certainly hope you are right.  It would be great to see these robberies and thefts diminish just like it would be great to see corporate theft diminish.  Of course, that's about as likely as wishing to win the lottery four times.  :lol:

• Options
    brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:
    :lol: brianlux said:
    nicknyr15 said:

I certainly hope you are right.  It would be great to see these robberies and thefts diminish just like it would be great to see corporate theft diminish.  Of course, that's about as likely as wishing to win the lottery four times.  :lol:
    I hear ya! The problem here is every time I bring something up I feel like people get so politically defensive. I don’t live in a red state or in a rural area and probably never will not for any other reason than preference for city life. It’d be nice  to have discussions without people getting so defensive politically that they need to search for a rebuttal instead of honestly discussing an obvious problem.