Options

POLL - The WEAKEST LINK of BRITISH BANDS - ROUND 4

13»

Comments

• Options
    The Beatles
    tbergs said:
    Well I threw one at Floyd so f-off you Beatles haters. Pretentious bunch of brits!
    Your nan!
  • Options
    GibsonGibson Toronto Posts: 2,535
    Pink Floyd
    While I dislike the Beatles the most, Pink Floyd has the weakest catalogue. Yes, their big albums shaped rock and roll as we know it today, but the first half (if not more) of their catalogue was weird (and not good) as heck.

*and there's no denying that all the remaining bands shaped rock & roll in one way or another.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024:

• Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,721
    Pink Floyd
    I'm with Bob on this one:
    Bob Dylan quote The Rolling Stones are truly the greatest rock and roll

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    The Beatles
    Gibson said:
    While I dislike the Beatles the most, Pink Floyd has the weakest catalogue. Yes, their big albums shaped rock and roll as we know it today, but the first half (if not more) of their catalogue was weird (and not good) as heck.

*and there's no denying that all the remaining bands shaped rock & roll in one way or another.
    First half is their prime! White teenage girls’ libidos basically set the tone for what shaped rock & roll back then. 

Floyd reshaped rock & roll (many times over) without that particular following, starting with the goddamn Beatles and Stones, both of which got better (or “weird as heck,” as you say) because they saw early Floyd (and Hendrix) shows all around London. 

Take away Syd, Jimi, and Brian Wilson, and I think the Beatles and Stones would’ve stayed stuck in their respective ruts. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,243
    Pink Floyd
    dankind said:
    Gibson said:

First half is their prime! White teenage girls’ libidos basically set the tone for what shaped rock & roll back then. 

Floyd reshaped rock & roll (many times over) without that particular following, starting with the goddamn Beatles and Stones, both of which got better (or “weird as heck,” as you say) because they saw early Floyd (and Hendrix) shows all around London. 

Take away Syd, Jimi, and Brian Wilson, and I think the Beatles and Stones would’ve stayed stuck in their respective ruts. 
    It's an interesting argument because the most influential bands or artists aren't necessarily the best so if this poll was based on influence, I may have voted differently, but what you saw from the Beatles was a band willing to evolve and who worked harder than any other band during their time. To the point they broke apart and became completely different than how they started. As much as I love LZ, they didn't evolve a lot. They had a formula and they hammered away at it successfully. I can's speak to the Stones or PF lesser known parts of their catalog, but honestly, I don't really like the output on a lot of albums. I tried to get in to some of it after hearing others fawn over it, but it does nothing for me. Kind of like Radiohead, I don't get in to them at all. As for the Beatles, a lot of their later musical influence came from non-traditional sources as well and I think what they created is amazing.

I think a lot of the bands PJ was influenced by for the most part sucked, but without them, they would have never become the amazing rock band they are. It doesn't matter if you have a ton of original music if no one wants to listen to it. There's a balance to be had in order to be successful and create good music. 
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    The Beatles
    In a perfect world, all the guys from The Rolling Stones thread would just come on over to this thread and blow every other band out of the water!
  • Options
    23scidoo23scidoo Thessaloniki,Greece Posts: 18,506
    The Beatles
    In a perfect world, all the guys from The Rolling Stones thread would just come on over to this thread and blow every other band out of the water!
    True W. but we're on PJ forum!!
    Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    Prague Krakow Berlin 2018. Berlin 2022
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

I wish i was the souvenir you kept your house key on..
  • Options
    The Beatles
    23scidoo said:
    True W. but we're on PJ forum!!
    :lol:  
  • Options
    The Beatles

Athens 2006. Dusseldorf 2007. Berlin 2009. Venice 2010. Amsterdam 1 2012. Amsterdam 1+2 2014. Buenos Aires 2015.
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    OffSheGoes35OffSheGoes35 Posts: 3,487
    edited November 2021
    The Beatles
    Just in case an RS fan happens to mosey on over, please vote for The Beatles. If you vote for the Stones, it is actually a vote against The Stones.
    Post edited by OffSheGoes35 on
  • Options
    The Beatles
    Pink Floyd feeling the love.

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Pink Floyd
    Go away Floyd, go away....
  • Options
    The Beatles
    tbergs said:
    Go away Floyd, go away....
    You go away, sir!

You go away!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Pink Floyd
    23scidoo said:

After all these years and the nauseating over abundance of Beatles threads on another forum I participate in,  I'm actually somewhat Beatled out (but have fond memories, nevertheless), but that ^^^ is just silliness and so over-the-top.  I hope you are at least somewhat joking?!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    The Beatles
    brianlux said:
    23scidoo said:

After all these years and the nauseating over abundance of Beatles threads on another forum I participate in,  I'm actually somewhat Beatled out (but have fond memories, nevertheless), but that ^^^ is just silliness and so over-the-top.  I hope you are at least somewhat joking?!
    You’re a joke, sir!

You’re a joke!!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Pink Floyd
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    23scidoo said:

You’re a joke, sir!

You’re a joke!!
    Hello, hello, hello? Is there anybody in there?
  • Options
    Pink Floyd
    dankind said:
    brianlux said:
    23scidoo said:

You’re a joke, sir!

You’re a joke!!

Hey no fair!  Everybody know that already! :lol:

• Options
    Led Zeppelin
    brianlux said:
    I'm with Bob on this one:
    Bob Dylan quote The Rolling Stones are truly the greatest rock and roll

I couldn’t agree more. 
  • Options
    The Beatles
    dankind said:
    Pink Floyd feeling the love.

You're handling this really well, DK. We'll get 'em next time.
  • Options
    The Beatles
    Oh excuse me, no one will leave unscathed except the Led Zeppelin freaks.  ;)
    Soft underbellies they have, but they aren't to be trifled with either. 

I wrote this in a Monty Python accent and laughed to myself...  Hohum, it's Friday.
    Ha! Made me laugh too.
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd each with 15 votes have been eliminated in Round 4.
  • Options
    The Beatles
    brianlux said:
    23scidoo said:

50% Brian..
    EV, Taormina 1+2 2017.

• Options
    The Beatles
    MedozK said:
    The Rolling Stones and Pink Floyd each with 15 votes have been eliminated in Round 4.
    Piss off!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
This discussion has been closed.