Options

Late to the Party: Bands you really got into well after they made their mark.

2»

Comments

• Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    edited November 2021
    Oh I should definitely add Bloodkin. I'm not sure I ever even heard of them before I read Patterson Hood's memoriam of singer Daniel Hutchens. Might be a case of a bad band name keeping them off my radar. This summer I bought their discography off bandcamp. The Blues in Heaven is easily one of the best songs of the 2000s. That song should have been a hit.
    Post edited by ceska on
  • Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,488
    Drive By Truckers, really got into them with American Band and now love it all!

Built to Spill, wasn’t until Ancient Melodies, but my first actual albums were Keep It Like a Secret and Perfect From Now On!
    I only started listening to them a couple of years ago. It has been cool to go back and discover all the music. We went to see them last month in Indianapolis and they were great.
  • Options
    SpartanacusSpartanacus San Diego Posts: 798
    The most head scratching one as they are easily my favorite band now (eclipsed PJ) is QOTSA.  Their classic debut came out in 1998 and despite knowing their 2002 hit 'No One Knows' I didn't get into them until about 2012, shortly before '...Like Clockwork' came out.  

Others are a bunch of 'Black' bands...BRMC, Black Keys, Black Angels, and to a lesser extent Black Mountain (got about 20 cool songs).

Finally I'll add that I really got into Cage The Elephant, The Kills, Dead Weather, and the good old Toadies late (Toadies was very late...they have a couple dozen songs that really kick ass).
  • Options
    Clutch.  Don't know how I missed out on them.
    Drive By Truckers.  Heard a tune by them I really dug about 2 years ago on the radio.
    Grateful Dead.  I hear songs come up and was like why didn't I listen to them?

There might be a few more.

Interesting thing about the above bands is I still don't actively listen to them.  I am afraid to get caught up in a frenzy and be upset that I can't see them as they should have been seen.  I recently started to listen to the album Soup by Blind Melon.  I remember a few songs and enjoyed the album but couldn't fully get into it knowing that Hoon was gone...

Anyone else weird like me on here?

• Options
    Oh Mac Miller is another one.  That dude is a treasure.  He is another one I delved into a bit and pulled back out of.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    Drive By Truckers.  Heard a tune by them I really dug about 2 years ago on the radio.

Interesting thing about the above bands is I still don't actively listen to them.  I am afraid to get caught up in a frenzy and be upset that I can't see them as they should have been seen.  I recently started to listen to the album Soup by Blind Melon.  I remember a few songs and enjoyed the album but couldn't fully get into it knowing that Hoon was gone...

I very much like and have Working Man's Dead and American Beauty, but they are not typical lengthy jam band Dead albums, so I can't say I'm really a big fan.  Give me another 55 years and I might become a Dead Head after all.  :lol:
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

I very much like and have Working Man's Dead and American Beauty, but they are not typical lengthy jam band Dead albums, so I can't say I'm really a big fan.  Give me another 55 years and I might become a Dead Head after all.  :lol:
    I only listen to the Dead live, or when I go see the Dead cover band 1/2 Step, which are fan friggin tastic  or when my GF listens to them.  I am a big fan of anything that has Pigpen in it.

https://halfstepgd.com/the-band
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    The Beatles

I didn't like them what I was young, not even when I was done high school, but slowly I started like the odd song, and then with each passing year I liked their music more and more.  Now I really like them, especially the back half of the catalog.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    The Beatles

I didn't like them what I was young, not even when I was done high school, but slowly I started like the odd song, and then with each passing year I liked their music more and more.  Now I really like them, especially the back half of the catalog.

That's a cool and, to me, unusual story, Zod.  When the Beatles first hit it big in the U.S., spurned on by their introduction to us kids by appearing on the Ed Sullivan show, they were and instant mega-smash hit with just about everybody.  Even my parents, who had the obligatory knee jerk reaction about the long hair (good grief, it barely made it over their ears and they wore neat and tidy matching suits!), I think even they in their own kind of subtle way thought they were at least cute. 

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    Tom Waits - 2004
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,099
    edited November 2021
    brianlux said:
    Zod said:
    The Beatles

That's a cool and, to me, unusual story, Zod.  When the Beatles first hit it big in the U.S., spurned on by their introduction to us kids by appearing on the Ed Sullivan show, they were and instant mega-smash hit with just about everybody.  Even my parents, who had the obligatory knee jerk reaction about the long hair (good grief, it barely made it over their ears and they wore neat and tidy matching suits!), I think even they in their own kind of subtle way thought they were at least cute. 

I think for me too was they were before my time.  When I was a kid it was listening to 80s music, or in my teens to 90's rock music.   I was more familiar with the stones because they were still touring and I remember the Steel Wheels album/tour/Mixed Emotions being super big.  It wasn't until the later 90s when I got less interested in new music, that I started to regress and listen to more of the rock music that came out before I was born.   I always knew about The Beatles, and was familiar with their more popular songs, but I never sat down and started listening to albums until that point.   Even that's been a slow burn of me appreciating them a little bit more every year.

One of my favourite finds in the last 10 years (Even though it came out in '03) was an alternate version of the Let it Be album called Let it Be Naked....  I love that album so much :)

I also suppose it doesn't help that my parents aren't that into Rock music.  My dad loves Jazz and my Mom loves showtunes/musicals.  Not much exposure to 60s/70s rock in my household growing up.   There was 1 copy of John Lennon's Shaved Fish album, alot of John Denver, and a cassettle tape of a Night at the Opera :)
    Post edited by Zod on
  • Options
    Mark Lanegan

Was a casual Trees back in the day but never listened to the solo stuff (including MLB releases) until a couple years ago.  There is the Gutter Twins, collaborations with Duke Garwood, Isobel Campbell, QOTSA, etc. 

It has been a blast exploring all this material and trying to get all the wax in my collection. His books are a wild ride too. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    brianlux said:

I only listen to the Dead live, or when I go see the Dead cover band 1/2 Step, which are fan friggin tastic  or when my GF listens to them.  I am a big fan of anything that has Pigpen in it.

https://halfstepgd.com/the-band
    live dead is a lot better than studio imo. Found a few studio cds. Terrapin station. What the heck is going on with most of that one.
  • Options
    Zod said:
    brianlux said:
    Zod said:
    The Beatles

I think for me too was they were before my time.  When I was a kid it was listening to 80s music, or in my teens to 90's rock music.   I was more familiar with the stones because they were still touring and I remember the Steel Wheels album/tour/Mixed Emotions being super big.  It wasn't until the later 90s when I got less interested in new music, that I started to regress and listen to more of the rock music that came out before I was born.   I always knew about The Beatles, and was familiar with their more popular songs, but I never sat down and started listening to albums until that point.   Even that's been a slow burn of me appreciating them a little bit more every year.

One of my favourite finds in the last 10 years (Even though it came out in '03) was an alternate version of the Let it Be album called Let it Be Naked....  I love that album so much :)

I also suppose it doesn't help that my parents aren't that into Rock music.  My dad loves Jazz and my Mom loves showtunes/musicals.  Not much exposure to 60s/70s rock in my household growing up.   There was 1 copy of John Lennon's Shaved Fish album, alot of John Denver, and a cassettle tape of a Night at the Opera :)

I haven't heard Let it Be Naked.  I'll check it out, thanks!

• Options
    pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,804
    edited November 2021
    Avett brothers 2013 with Magpie and the Dandelion. Didn’t see them live until 2017. 

Drive by truckers. 2014. I didn’t know anything until they played local and my friend suggested I check them out. They were incredible and I was hooked. Still remember the show like it was yesterday. 

Arcade Fire. Missed The funeral totally. Heard Neon Bible and loved it and loved everything else since 
    Post edited by pledgeagrievance on
  • Options
    Zod said:
    brianlux said:
    Zod said:
    The Beatles

So Zod, like you I didn't care for the Beatles.  I was listening to an WFUV show where the DJ pulls out all sorts of interesting things.  Alternate takes, rare b-sides.  He plays it all.

Then one day they are doing a Beatles day.  The song "The Two of us" comes on and I liked it well enough but it was the end that hooked me.  John Lennon whistling the tune at the end.  Man I love whistling, lol.  Any song w whistling is a great song, they just are, well except that Miley Cyrus song, she broke the consecutive streak for great songs w whistling..

Anywho.  The Two of Us on the Naked album is fantastic.  I have been searching for a copy on ebay and is next on my list to get on Vinyl and CD.

Brian check that out.
    https://youtu.be/jdEAuvqfKXU
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    Zod said:
    The Beatles

That is my exact same Beatles experience. 

As for bands I should have been into (being all in on the 90s rock during my teen years) I was also late on 311 & Incubus, as I only really started listening to them in the past 5 years. On the opposite end, I missed the boat on Wu-Tang until recently as well.
  • Options
    pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,191
    Led Zeppelin. They were so overplayed during my teen years just never got into them.  Over the last 10-15 years or so I've come to appreciate their greatness and really started to listen more openly.  Really enjoy now that I don't hear them every 10 minutes.

• Options
    jjflashjjflash Posts: 4,834
    The Grateful Dead 

Being a college student in an era when Woodstock was celebrating its 25th anniversary and hippiedom was boomeranging back into vogue,
    it seemed preordained, a collegiate currency, that the Grateful Dead would be a fixture in one's music rotation - at least classics like Truckin' and Friend of the Devil, and the not too distant success of Touch of Grey. Having little exposure to their music, I obstinately chose not to like them, even debating a roommate that Jerry Garcia was not a good guitar player. Boy oh boy, was I wrong.

Maybe my ears - and third eye - just weren't ready for them yet. Fast forward less than a year post-college and the same roommate who I'd debated was now living in Hawaii. The combination of some Maui Waui bud he'd sent, Princess Leia-looking headphones for big sound quality, and a One From the Vault CD led to a watershed moment - GDTRFB struck a good chord, and dang if It Must Have Been the Roses didn't burrow in like an earworm. Initial cherry picking of a few songs led to immersive full album repeats on the headphones. That album became my gateway into the Dead's universe. I've since spent the last 20+ years traveling the back roads of their catalog. While PJ remains my favorite, the Dead are easily my most played.
  • Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,515
    The Afghan Whigs. I don't think I was even aware of their existence until the mid-2010s! I don't know how I got through so much time not hearing them, but when I finally did I fell in love right away. That are amazing.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    The Afghan Whigs. I don't think I was even aware of their existence until the mid-2010s! I don't know how I got through so much time not hearing them, but when I finally did I fell in love right away. That are amazing.
    Wow!  I remember them.  This band and James were two I never got into also that I should have.
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    Adele - I completely missed the hype over 21 and didn't really start listening until well after 25 came out
    The Smiths - they had already broken up before I had even heard any of their songs
    System of a Down - I didn't get into them until Hypnotize/Mesmerize came out
    Tool - I was late to the Tool love. It was after Lateralus came out that I really discovered them
  • Options
    Adele - I completely missed the hype over 21 and didn't really start listening until well after 25 came out
    The Smiths - they had already broken up before I had even heard any of their songs
    Tool - I was late to the Tool love. It was after Lateralus came out that I really discovered them
    You didn't miss anything w The Smiths...
  • Options
    Of The AggieOf The Aggie The ATX Posts: 1,492
    Oh I love the Smiths now. I wish I had been into them when they were still together.
  • Options
    Oh I love the Smiths now. I wish I had been into them when they were still together.
    +1
  • Options
    I was definitely late to the part with Bad Brains and learned about them from a former cool-dude person on the forums who went by that as their user name.  I was watching the "American Hardcore" DVD again last night and marveling the one band no other punk outfit wanted to have to follow because they were so good (and so many other punk bands, despite their tremendous energy, did not play well). 
    This one's always cool to watch:
    Another version of The Big Takeover: