Options

Late to the Party: Bands you really got into well after they made their mark.

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,681
Inspired by a Loujoe comment mentioned to me on another thread, let's see what bands you got into big-time well after they had already made it big or had already been a cult classic.
Here's my list:

Dinosaur Jr.  I had read about Dino in Michael Azerrad's Our Band Could Be Your Life, sampled their music, and wrote them off as a band with interesting music but a "bad" singer.  Several years later, I gave them another go and they became one of my very favorites.  And J's voice?  Yeah, technically it's pretty weak but I totally love it anyway.
The Dream Syndicate. Dare I say it?  This one is almost inexcusable.  I have had their album Medicine Show since a year or two after it came out in 1984.  I vaguely remember that I may have seen them live in San Francisco in the mid 80's.  HELLO!  Just a few years ago, I finally branched out into more of their albums as well as band leader Steve Wynn's work and became a FANATIC.  (Evident by the fact that I now have 20 TDS/Wynn related albums).
The Ramones and New York Dolls.  Alright, seriously, it's embarrassing to mention those names within this context.  I got into them both around the same time (maybe 15 years ago) and, needless to say, have been a huge fan of both ever since.
Dean Moon.  It took reading about the death in 2017 of Dead Moon's Fred Cole to even know about this band.  For cryin' out loud, the band had been around for almost 30 years!  The more I hear, the more I love their raw, low-fi thrash and Fred's ragged macabre-obsessed songs and singing.  Gritty, garagey, and great!
Joy Division.  Talk about late to the party!  I'm a very recent convert.  Damn, I mean Ian Curtis has been dead for 21 years.  Apparently so was part of my brain!  I now love that band!  I will no doubt have all their stuff (which, sadly  isn't much) before too long.
Television.  Not as severe as the above, but still a significant late start for me.  Excellent stuff!  Marque Moon is massively great.

Alrighty, tardy music fans.  Time to fess up!  Whatcha got?

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

Comments

• Options
    JPPJ84JPPJ84 Hamburg, Germany Posts: 3,440
    Easy. Pearl Jam 😎
  • Options
    JPPJ84 said:
    Easy. Pearl Jam 😎

Good one!  I'm sure you were not the first. 
    I really liked them when Ten came out, then kind of lost interest, then really got back into them in that middle period with Yield, No Code, Riot Act, and the self title "Avocado".
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JT167846JT167846 Posts: 807
    Porcupine Tree and STP as they'd broken up by the time I'd gotten into them. But to be honest most bands had been big for a couple of years before I fell in love with their music. 1995 was when I went head over heels for rock-but better late than never.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
  • Options
    Hi!Hi! Posts: 3,095
    edited October 2021
    I just started getting into DMB. I like the positive vibes the music emotes while maintaining a measurable amount of pain underneath it all. Songs like Lie in Our Graves and the line from Cry Freedom “human to human tomorrow is no place to place our better days” really hits me hard. My favorite album so far is Stand Up and I really love the live Dave and Tim album. Sad I’m late to the party, but better late than never. I’ve also been watching a few interviews with Dave from talk shows ect. He is so funny and I love when he starts doing different voices. His personality and mannerisms are quite infectious. I seen them earlier this year for the first time and had a blast, I get really excited when Dave starts dancing. I am a little sad I won’t be able to see them with Boyd and Leroi Moore and learning about the circumstances surrounding them not being in band.

Detroit 2000, Detroit 2003 1-2, Grand Rapids VFC 2004, Philly 2005, Grand Rapids 2006, Detroit 2006, Cleveland 2006, Lollapalooza 2007, Detroit Eddie Solo 2011, Detroit 2014, Chicago 2016 1-2, Chicago 2018 1-2, Ohana Encore 2021 1-2, Chicago Eddie/Earthlings 2022 1-2, Nashville 2022, St. Louis 2022

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    Tom Waits-when I briefly heard him like 15 yrs ago I was like this is the worst! Now I undestand and really dig his depth, sound and storytelling. Not feel good music for sure.

King Crimson-picked up in the court of the crimson king and was blown away. Since grabbed a best of. Loved the diversity of songs. Gave it to my friend and he too was wondering how this band flew under our radar. Surely a timing thing of when we grew up. 

Sure there are and will be others.
  • Options
    goldrushgoldrush everybody knows this is nowhere Posts: 7,271
    Bob Mould solo - I’d heard some Hüsker Dü but really wasn’t that interested in them. I absolutely loved both Sugar albums, but somehow I didn’t actually hear any of Bob’s solo albums until Silver Age came out in 2012. It prompted me to go back to the start of HD and work my way through the years.

Clutch - I first heard them when a friend took me to see a gig on the From Beale Street to Oblivion tour in 2007. I have no idea how I’d missed them before.

Another cool thread idea @brianlux, I’m sure I’ll think of some more along the way 
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Options
    BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,901
    edited October 2021
    A few of mine:

Pearl Jam - first album I bought on release date was No Code. First PJ album I bought was Vitalogy, but that was quite a bit after it’s release. 

The War on Drugs - first album I got into of there’s was Deeper Understanding. Just bought the new LP. 👌 Making my way through their back catalogue now. 

Tool - a friend of mine was into them. 

You Am I - one of Australia’s greatest bands. Saw ‘Em live a few times, grabbed a live album and played that a fair bit. Picked up some
    of their earlier albums quite cheaply at a local store. Awesome band! Uniquely Australian. 

Beastie Boys - bought their anthology release out of interest not long after it was released. I remember loving the Body Movin’ clip when Hello Nasty was out. Slowly but surely made my way through their back catalogue Paul’s Boutique and Ill Communication specifically. 

Countless others! Too many to name. 
    Post edited by BrainofBGA on
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,689
    KYUSS
    Corrosion of Conformity
    Name a jazz player/group....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,283
    Nada Surf
    Spoon
    TV on the Radio 
    Heartless Bastards 
    There’s a lot more just can’t think of them..
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    goldrush said:
    Bob Mould solo - I’d heard some Hüsker Dü but really wasn’t that interested in them. I absolutely loved both Sugar albums, but somehow I didn’t actually hear any of Bob’s solo albums until Silver Age came out in 2012. It prompted me to go back to the start of HD and work my way through the years.

Clutch - I first heard them when a friend took me to see a gig on the From Beale Street to Oblivion tour in 2007. I have no idea how I’d missed them before.

Another cool thread idea @brianlux, I’m sure I’ll think of some more along the way 

I almost added Mould and Husker Du because I've recently been listening to some of both after reading Mould's autobiography, See A Little Light, but I can't say yet that I'm a big fan.  Maybe with time.

• Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,057
    Flaming Lips 
    DMB - I've always liked them, but skipped their shows after my first experience was just watching them jam for what seemed like way too long. Now, I really enjoy their live shows.
  • Options
    PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,223
    Jack Johnson - I discovered him around 2008-10 thanks to Eddie and his appearances at the Kokua Festival!
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Drive By Truckers, really got into them with American Band and now love it all!

Built to Spill, wasn’t until Ancient Melodies, but my first actual albums were Keep It Like a Secret and Perfect From Now On!
  • Options
    Sonic Youth 

Bought Goo, maybe, three years ago in a sale. Then continued forwards, in order, then backwards and then through the post sonic solo works.

Always knew who they were, of course, but never got into them before.
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 28,996
    I'm always late to the party. The biggest one has to be Pearl Jam, where I didn't get into them until I saw them live in 1996. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    Nick Cave

The Smiths
  • Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    Pretty much any band my Mom & Dad listened to that I enjoy now. Too many to mention. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    Pretty much any band my Mom & Dad listened to that I enjoy now. Too many to mention. 

It's interesting to think about how strongly boomer's kids and Gen x'ers kid's gravitated toward 60's and 70's rock, yet we boomers generally did not take strongly to our G.I. generation parent's favorites like Glen Miller, Perry Como, Al Jolson, Bing Crosby, etc.  It took me til clear up to just last year to get hip to the fact that Bing Crosby was not just a great pop singer, but a first-rate jazz singer as well.  I was clued into that by reading some books by the late jazz critic and novelist Nat Hentoff.

• Options
    2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,141
    brianlux said:

It's interesting to think about how strongly boomer's kids and Gen x'ers kid's gravitated toward 60's and 70's rock, yet we boomers generally did not take strongly to our G.I. generation parent's favorites like Glen Miller, Perry Como, Al Jolson, Bing Crosby, etc.  It took me til clear up to just last year to get hip to the fact that Bing Crosby was not just a great pop singer, but a first-rate jazz singer as well.  I was clued into that by reading some books by the late jazz critic and novelist Nat Hentoff.
    Yeah, though the only band that was my Grandparents generation that my Pop would play was Glenn Miller. I have distinct memories of him playing that on Sunday mornings cooking breakfast. 
    www.cluthelee.com
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,378
    Nick Cave
    Mastodon
    Manchester Orchestra
    Elliott Smith

I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,030
    Steely Dan
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    DissidentRival74DissidentRival74 Six One Five Posts: 150
    Blind Melon - didn't really get into them until 99 when I bought Soup for $8 at a grocery store in Gardiner, MT.  Now (unfortunately) they are on top of my "Bands i wished i had seen live" list...
    "I'm only civil because I don't know any swear words."
  • Options
    JH6056JH6056 Posts: 2,427
    Blind Melon - didn't really get into them until 99 when I bought Soup for $8 at a grocery store in Gardiner, MT.  Now (unfortunately) they are on top of my "Bands i wished i had seen live" list...
    Keep an eye out for a documentary about Blind Melon that PJ BFF photographer Danny Clinch is making or has already made.  But I don't think it's been released yet, maybe they're waiting until after being in a theater isn't such an issue?
  • Options
    JH6056 said:
    Keep an eye out for a documentary about Blind Melon that PJ BFF photographer Danny Clinch is making or has already made.  But I don't think it's been released yet, maybe they're waiting until after being in a theater isn't such an issue?
    All I Can Say
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
  • Options
    Pearl Jam - 1998
    Starsailor - 2007
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,422
    Leonard Cohen - I first heard his songs on a tribute album featuring REM, Lloyd Cole, The Pixies.

Wilco - my wife introduced me to them in 2006.  I was aware of them, but the only song I knew was "Heavy Metal Drummer".  I am now a mega-fan!
  • Options
    JOEJOEJOE said:
    Leonard Cohen - I first heard his songs on a tribute album featuring REM, Lloyd Cole, The Pixies.

Wilco - my wife introduced me to them in 2006.  I was aware of them, but the only song I knew was "Heavy Metal Drummer".  I am now a mega-fan!

Great choices, Loujoe! 
    I was late to the party with Cohen myself.  I like "Suzanne" a lot but not much else until many years later I saw him on the show Sunday Night hosted by Jools Holland and David Sanborn.  Cohen played a couple of number with Sonny Rollins that are just amazing and really sparked my respect for the man and his music. Both of them!

• Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,845
    Radiohead- Really got into them after In Rainbows came out.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,282
    Faith No More.  I was indifferent towards The Real Thing when it came out.  And then Angel Dust arrived and changed my life!
  • Options
    ceskaceska New York Posts: 1,076
    Definitely Drive-By Truckers. I got into them in 2013. Missed the entire Isbell/Tucker/Neff eras. I don't mind not having seen them with Isbell. I would really have enjoyed seeing them with Shonna Tucker. I was relatively late to Neko Case (2008) and Kathleen Edwards (2103) too.