Options

When I finish with my shopping cart/basket, I.....

F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
Simple poll, what do you do when you are finished with your shopping and you utilized a store provided cart.
Saw an article claiming that what people do with carts/baskets says a lot about them.
I would tend to agree.

For clarity:
Put back in a designated spot Option = for the basket, this is in the floor position at the base of the register/aisle/self check out or near the door in a designated spot....for the cart it is either in the collection of carts at store entry or designated spots in the parking lot

Leave it where I finish with it Option = for the basket or cart, this means leaving or putting them back anywhere other than a designated area for placement/return. 

Other Option = I don't see how there is any room for Other here but want to give people who play along the space to vote and list what they feel is an option other than the first two. 
The love he receives is the love that is saved

When I finish with my shopping cart/basket, I..... 35 votes

Put back in a designated spot
91%
PureandEasyhedonistdarwinstheoryPoncierLondon Bridgestuckinlinemarkymark550lastexitlondongoldrushiOnlyownMymindmfc2006jwhjr17tbergsMalrothHesCalledDyerI am a patriotGlowGirldankindFiveBelowJohnny Abruzzo 32 votes
Leave it where I finish with it
2%
1ThoughtKnown 1 vote
Other
5%
brianluxWest Coast Dreamgirl 2 votes

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I’m not that big an asshole.

(we’re talking the days when I used to regularly frequent markets in person; thank you, Instacart!)
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    hedonist said:
    I’m not that big an asshole.

(we’re talking the days when I used to regularly frequent markets in person; thank you, Instacart!)

I should probably have made this anonymous.  People may not want to admit they leave them where they finish with them - but anyone who goes to a shop can see that there are lots of folks who do this.  Hopefully if someone is interested to cast a vote and reply they will able to share what they really do.
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    This is definitely one of my pet peeves, I hate folks who just leave them in the middle of the parking lot.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    Most grocery stores here in Canada charge rent for the US of the cart…you must put in a loonie in order to unlock it…

Wal Mart does not.  And on the rare occasion I go to Wal Mart…I leave the cart where I unload.  The customer service at wal mart and most of our grocery stores do not warrant cooperation…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    I honestly draw a very distanced line between people whom just leave the cart wherever and people who did not wear masks last year. Like you cant do the bare minimum just walk to the basket or cart were it is supposed to go.
  • Options
    Most grocery stores here in Canada charge rent for the US of the cart…you must put in a loonie in order to unlock it…

Wal Mart does not.  And on the rare occasion I go to Wal Mart…I leave the cart where I unload.  The customer service at wal mart and most of our grocery stores do not warrant cooperation…

Interesting.  Perhaps an Other vote qualification.  Too late now, I know, but it seems there would be an asterisk here.  You put back because you rent them, otherwise you think the people working at most of these stores should have to retrieve the carts from where you unload due to poor customer service.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    It was pouring out one day and I left the cart where I was.  It's literally the ONLY time I ever did that.  I will walk out of my way to put the buggy back.

Yes "buggy".  I picked that one up whilst living in a holler in Virginia...
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    It was pouring out one day and I left the cart where I was.  It's literally the ONLY time I ever did that.  I will walk out of my way to put the buggy back.

Man, sometimes something as little as a word can bring back memories. The only person I knew who called a shopping cart a “buggy” was my grandmother. She was the kindest soul.
  • Options
    My Mother In Law calls it a carriage.

• Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,931
    Who's going to be the first to admit they leave the cart in the middle of the parking lot?  C'mon...we know you're out there...
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    Who's going to be the first to admit they leave the cart in the middle of the parking lot?  C'mon...we know you're out there...

:lol:  Should have made it anonymous!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,876
    Since my grocery stores don’t have parking lots I either walk it to near the exit where they go or in many cases a worker will just grab it as I am paying at the cash register. 
  • Options
    FiveBelow said:

Man, sometimes something as little as a word can bring back memories. The only person I knew who called a shopping cart a “buggy” was my grandmother. She was the kindest soul.
    I hope memory lane was a good trip my friend.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,946
    Americans.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    If I can leave it safely where it isn’t a hazard to people or vehicles I will leave it there. I rarely use one mind you. 
    My first job was bagging groceries and the best part of that job was going out and collecting the carts all over the mall parking lot. Took my time, chatted with folks.  I’d like to think I’m providing another young person a little “escape” from the zoo that is modern retail. 
  • Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    FiveBelow said:

I hope memory lane was a good trip my friend.
    The Good Place Thumbs Up GIF by NBC

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

If my children call it a carriage, they are grounded.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524

Buggies, carriages...yet no one bats an eye at “living in a holler”?

(I’m team cart)
  • Options
    hedonist said:

Buggies, carriages...yet no one bats an eye at “living in a holler”?

(I’m team cart)
    lol, only one that picked up that slang.  First time I heard that term I said "Do what now?  How does one live where an action takes place?"

• Options
    If I can leave it safely where it isn’t a hazard to people or vehicles I will leave it there. I rarely use one mind you. 
    My first job was bagging groceries and the best part of that job was going out and collecting the carts all over the mall parking lot. Took my time, chatted with folks.  I’d like to think I’m providing another young person a little “escape” from the zoo that is modern retail. 

Interesting!  Thanks for being honest -- your explanation indicates why you do it and does not make you seem like a jerk for leaving it out there.  :lol:  
  • Options
    dankind said:

Imagine if/when they use tonic and wicked in the same sentence...
  • Options
    markymark550markymark550 Columbia, SC Posts: 5,105
    I put a cart in the designated spot. Around here, cashiers take the baskets and return them when they aren't busy. 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited June 2021

Interesting!  Thanks for being honest -- your explanation indicates why you do it and does not make you seem like a jerk for leaving it out there.  :lol:  
    Finding plausible justification for ones own narcissistic tendencies is the clear sign that middle age has full-on set in.  😂
    Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,225
    dankind said:

Dan's kids upon returning from Stop & Shop with Mrs. Kind:

"Dad, we had a wicked pissah time at the sto-ah. Mom let us buy enough tonic to fill the carriage, then we stopped at the packie to get you your favorite wine coolers."
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options

Finding plausible justification for ones own narcissistic tendencies is the clear sign that middle age has full-on set in.  😂
    Too funny

Poncier said:
    dankind said:

Dan's kids upon returning from Stop & Shop with Mrs. Kind:

"Dad, we had a wicked pissah time at the sto-ah. Mom let us buy enough tonic to fill the carriage, then we stopped at the packie to get you your favorite wine coolers."
    I wish for this to happen.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    edited June 2021
    Other
    Other.  I take it back to the front of the store where I got it. 
    I did that just a couple of hours ago.  This guy is out there in the parking lot fighting the fumes and the triple digit heat pushing this train of hot carts back to the front of the store where they started out.  I take my one cart- handle still cool from being in the air conditioned store- and return in to the front of the store just behind the kid pushing that hot cart train.  He turns and thanks me with a look of much gratitude in his eyes.  I'm thinking, "No big deal kid.  It's one cart.  easy peasy."  And I'm an old fucker.  I feel bad for these kids getting shit wages and slaving out there in the heat for us spoiled rotten consumers.
    Post edited by brianlux on
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,775
    brianlux said:
    I did that just a couple of hours ago.  This guy is out there in the parking lot fighting the fumes and the triple digit heat pushing this train of hot carts back to the front of the store where they started out.  I take my one cart- handle still cool from being in the air conditioned store- and return in to the front of the store just behind the kid pushing that hot cart train.  He turns and thanks me with a look of much gratitude in his eyes.  I'm thinking, "No big deal kid.  It's one cart.  easy peasy."  And I'm an old fucker.  I feel bad for these kids getting shit wages and slaving out there in the heat for us spoiled rotten consumers.
    While I understand your thinking here, especially in this unbearable heat, I have no guilt putting the cart in the designated cart spots throughout the parking lots.  What drives me nuts is when you go to pull into a spot and there is a resting cart in the parking spot.  I immediately spout out, you lazy ass mother fuckers.  I have even called out people who do just that, like, really, you're just going to leave the cart there . .. 

Realized I have put my life in jeopardy just asking that question.

People suck.   I put them in the same category as those who throw trash out their car windows, people who leave trash all over where they have spent the day . . the park, the beach.  Just ignorant and self absorbed.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    dankind said:

Irreconcilable differences. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,719
    Other
    brianlux said:
    While I understand your thinking here, especially in this unbearable heat, I have no guilt putting the cart in the designated cart spots throughout the parking lots.  What drives me nuts is when you go to pull into a spot and there is a resting cart in the parking spot.  I immediately spout out, you lazy ass mother fuckers.  I have even called out people who do just that, like, really, you're just going to leave the cart there . .. 

Realized I have put my life in jeopardy just asking that question.

People suck.   I put them in the same category as those who throw trash out their car windows, people who leave trash all over where they have spent the day . . the park, the beach.  Just ignorant and self absorbed.

Yes, and I apologize if I was sounding like pointing fingers.  If I'm running late or having trouble walking, I'll put the cart in the closest designated spot as well.  But yeah, when they are left out in a parking space or shoved up on the nearest foliage or whatever, that's just wrong!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739

Interesting.  Perhaps an Other vote qualification.  Too late now, I know, but it seems there would be an asterisk here.  You put back because you rent them, otherwise you think the people working at most of these stores should have to retrieve the carts from where you unload due to poor customer service.

The only store I do that too is Wal Mart…can’t stand that shithole store…
    Give Peas A Chance…