Options

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS OF THE 1990s - ROUND 1

13»

Comments

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Shakespeare in Love
    I can't believe how old Clint was there and that was 30 years ago!
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    The English Patient
    Unforgiven is a masterpiece as a Western.  Yes, it is slow - as most Westerns are. 
    The last however many minutes of the movie when Clint has some drinks and heads back into town are among my favorite that I've seen put to film.
    Absolutely amazing.
    No it is not...

:lol:     You do not like it, either?

Ahh well, that is why they make so many movies.  Some people love Gump and Saving Private Ryan.  Some people love Unforgiven.

I'm surprised.  You dismissed MJ but hold true to Clint.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Shakespeare in Love
    Unforgiven is a masterpiece as a Western.  Yes, it is slow - as most Westerns are. 
    The last however many minutes of the movie when Clint has some drinks and heads back into town are among my favorite that I've seen put to film.
    Absolutely amazing.
    No it is not...
    Disagree....the dialogue is a little slow and cheap sometimes but it's a great movie.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Titanic
    Absolutely amazing.
    No it is not...

Ahh well, that is why they make so many movies.  Some people love Gump and Saving Private Ryan.  Some people love Unforgiven.

Really?  Where are the reports of Clint being a child molester?

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Shakespeare in Love
    Anything even remotely related to or referencing Shakespeare must automatically go.  
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Shakespeare in Love
    Anything even remotely related to or referencing Shakespeare must automatically go.  
    Bad middle school experience?
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Titanic

Ha.  I had multiple classes on Willie S in college -- nothing else in those classes, just the genius of Shakespeare. 
    Know very well that many people hated having to read his works.
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,418
    Shakespeare in Love
    mrussel1 said:
    Every single year from 7th to 12th grade we had to read Shakespeare.  Sometimes two or three works in a school year.  I'll never understand the hard-on that the US education system has for that hack!
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The English Patient
    Absolutely amazing.
    No it is not...

I have wonderful memories of Mr. Eastwood from childhood. Never once heard anything even smelling like that. 
  • Options
    Titanic
    hedonist said:
    Absolutely amazing.
    No it is not...

I have wonderful memories of Mr. Eastwood from childhood. Never once heard anything even smelling like that. 

So Eastwood is a bozo - I agree with that.  Haven't heard of him as a raper or kiddie diddler. 
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,457
    Shakespeare in Love
    Clint Eastwood was considered quite the veteran actor in 1992 when he acted in and directed Unforgiven. I don't know if anyone would've been expecting him to still be going 20-30 years later.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Dances with Wolves
    mrussel1 said:
    Haha!

An old college friend of mine wrote a very derivative but still somewhat amusing play called Shakespeare's a Dick about a drunk guy whose hatred of Shakespeare is so strong that the spirit of Shakespeare notices and objects by cursing the drunkard to speaking only Shakespeare.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    Dances with Wolves
    Wait, I just looked at the totals. How the fuck are there only two votes for Dances With Wolves? Somebody tell me something redeeming about that film.

It's a goddamn episodic mess with no thread. Melodramatic and cliched as fuck from the script to the score to the cinematography to the lighting. Awful lead actors. Narcissistic direction. Just an empty waste of time on what was the point again, with some lovely "consensual" cultural rape appropriation to top it all off.

Hate this fuckin' movie like the Dude hates the fuckin' Eagles.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Titanic
    dankind said:
    Wait, I just looked at the totals. How the fuck are there only two votes for Dances With Wolves? Somebody tell me something redeeming about that film.

It's a goddamn episodic mess with no thread. Melodramatic and cliched as fuck from the script to the score to the cinematography to the lighting. Awful lead actors. Narcissistic direction. Just an empty waste of time on what was the point again, with some lovely "consensual" cultural rape appropriation to top it all off.

You must have been pissed off when The Last Samurai basically stole the whole movie and just placed it in Japan. 
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Titanic
    eddiec said:
    dankind said:

You must have been pissed off when The Last Samurai basically stole the whole movie and just placed it in Japan. 

Hahaha.  I liked that movie as well. 
    Also, Avatar.  Dances with Blue Monkeys
  • Options
    Shakespeare in Love
    dankind said:

It'll be gone next round I'm sure. 
  • Options
    Dances with Wolves
    eddiec said:
    dankind said:

I was hardened enough to just not bother by the time that one came out.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    edited April 2021
    Unforgiven
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Unforgiven was one big pile of dog crap.  I hated that movie.  
    Who the hell are you?! Grab a few trays of ice and a nice bottle of cab and try again.
    Garbage I say! 
    By the way, just had a glass of rose with lots of ice. ;) 
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    Shakespeare in Love
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Who the hell are you?! Grab a few trays of ice and a nice bottle of cab and try again.
    Garbage I say! 
    ROSE??? Dude..
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,888
    edited April 2021
    Unforgiven
    mrussel1 said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tbergs said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    Garbage I say! 
    ROSE??? Dude..
    Sorry it was a Grenache!  Definitely not manly but good! Lol
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,828
    edited April 2021
    Dances with Wolves
    dankind said:

I will happily vote out Dancing With the Wolves.  Will go do it right now.

Edit: Also hate the fucking Eagles.
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Dances with Wolves
    dankind said:

I will happily vote out Dancing With the Wolves.  Will go do it right now.

Edit: Also hate the fucking Eagles.
    Double thumbs up often! 😂.  

• Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    edited April 2021
    Shakespeare in Love
    I remember when Dances came out on VHS and the price was insane, like almost $100. It was near impossible to rent too. I think when we finally got our turn on the list, the copy we rented was shit due to someone else messing up the tape. Took it back and had to wait like another 2 weeks until they got a replacement copy.

Found this old article which was a fun trip down memory lane.

https://www.baltimoresun.com/news/bs-xpm-1991-08-28-1991240185-story.html

Hunt for Red October was one of my favorites as well. Barely makes the 90's, but the best of the Jack Ryan films.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    The English Patient
    With 12 votes Shakespeare in Love and with 9 vote tie The English Patient and Titanic have all been eliminated in Round 1
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,457
    Shakespeare in Love
    MedozK said:
    With 12 votes Shakespeare in Love and with 9 vote tie The English Patient and Titanic have all been eliminated in Round 1
    I think this is a good indicator of the demographic that's voting on this.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,383
    Shakespeare in Love
    MedozK said:
    I think this is a good indicator of the demographic that's voting on this.
    Evenbros?
This discussion has been closed.