POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS OF THE 1990s - ROUND 1

MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
edited April 2021 in All Encompassing Trip
With the Oscars and other award shows over for the year, I figured a movie based 'Weakest Link' would be a fun thing. Since we are here in this forum for a 90s based band, I decided we could choose the BEST FILM for all the BEST PICTURE WINNERS of the 1990s.

Alright, so here we play a game to determine the BEST OSCAR WINNING BEST PICTURE OF THE 1990S.

You are going to pick the film that you think is the "Weakest Link" after 2 days I remove the two (2) movies with the most votes. We will then move on to Round 2.

Complete list of Best Picture Oscar Winners of the 1990s
1990, Dances with Wolves1991, The Silence of the Lambs1992, Unforgiven1993, Schindler's List1994, Forrest Gump1995, Braveheart1996, The English Patient1997, Titanic1998, Shakespeare in Love1999, American Beauty

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS OF THE 1990s - ROUND 1 37 votes

Dances with Wolves
8%
dankindoftenreading1ThoughtKnown 3 votes
The Silence of the Lambs
0%
Unforgiven
2%
mcgruff10 1 vote
Schindler's List
0%
Forrest Gump
2%
Yefa 1 vote
Braveheart
0%
The English Patient
24%
hedonistPonciermarkymark550erebusMedozKAsterisk on the StreetBLACK35tempo_n_groovebbiggs 9 votes
Titanic
24%
mca47mickeyratGlowGirled243421RiotZacteddieceeriepadaveF Me In The BrainGlorified KC 9 votes
Shakespeare in Love
32%
darwinstheoryLedbetterman10Thorns2010BrainofBGAtbergsHesCalledDyerGern BlanstenJohnny AbruzzohauntingfamiliarHobbesmrussel1JojoRice 12 votes
American Beauty
5%
JimmyVWest Coast Dreamgirl 2 votes

Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The English Patient
    Shit, I don’t know if I hated Titanic more than The English Patient...
  • MedozKMedozK Tennessee Posts: 9,209
    The English Patient
    hedonist said:
    Not even close. One had action, the other put me to sleep.
  • hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The English Patient
    MedozK said:
    hedonist said:
    Not even close. One had action, the other put me to sleep.
    I regret I saw both!
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,602
    Shakespeare in Love
    The 90's were so great for movies.  Three that are missing are Pulp Fiction, Saving Private Ryan and Goodfellas.  

In my view, Saving Private Ryan was one of the best, but also a critically important movie in our history.  It was made at a time when the Greatest Generation started dying off quickly, and it was important to remember the sacrifices these boys made for us, against a truly evil enemy.  And it was done in a way that wasn't about the glory of war, but the real pain, anguish and loss.

How it lost Best Picture to fucking Shakespeare in Love is one of the great mysteries of the universe.  Who gives a shit about that movie today, whereas 23 years later, Ryan is ever more important.  
    The English Patient
    mrussel1 said:
    The 90's were so great for movies.  Three that are missing are Pulp Fiction, Saving Private Ryan and Goodfellas.  

In my view, Saving Private Ryan was one of the best, but also a critically important movie in our history.  It was made at a time when the Greatest Generation started dying off quickly, and it was important to remember the sacrifices these boys made for us, against a truly evil enemy.  And it was done in a way that wasn't about the glory of war, but the real pain, anguish and loss.

How it lost Best Picture to fucking Shakespeare in Love is one of the great mysteries of the universe.  Who gives a shit about that movie today, whereas 23 years later, Ryan is ever more important.  
    I agree completely. I remember being so mad when SIL won. I couldn't believe it.
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Shakespeare in Love
    SIL was such a stupid lousy movie - had no business even being nominated.
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Shakespeare in Love
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:

I agree completely. I remember being so mad when SIL won. I couldn't believe it.
    Both of my uncles fought in the war and this came out shortly after Uncle Mikey (European theater) died.  I remember I went on opening night and cried like a baby.  It still gets me every time when Ryan asks if he is a good man at the end. 
    The English Patient
    First couple rounds of this poll will be pretty easy. After that, damn, there are some classics which will have to be eliminated.
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Titanic
    Swore never (ever!) to watch Titanic because of that fucking song.  Easily my least favorite song of all time and worked in an office where your desk phone would play the radio station when this movie came out and the song was huge.  Every time the song was on half of the office would hit "hold" on their phones, which would play the song at their desks.  Holy shit, I heard this song every 20 minutes for about a month.  I hate this movie, as a result, with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,810
    American Beauty
    Haven't seen Shakespeare or The English Patient. Minus those two, American Beauty is the weakest link. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Shakespeare in Love
    MedozK said:
    First couple rounds of this poll will be pretty easy. After that, damn, there are some classics which will have to be eliminated.
    Agreed. 91-94 were all great.  I guess that's a theme right? 1991-1994 were awesome for music and movies. 
  • F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,587
    Titanic
    @Dankind voting on Costner.  I would have bet money on that being your vote, lol!
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,195
    Shakespeare in Love
    MedozK said:
    mrussel1 said:

Back when I used to watch the award shows and the best picture never actually won. English Patient, SIL - blech. I was pissed that damn movie won. I could watch Saving Private Ryan anytime I stumbled across it when I was channel surfing in the 2000's. Such a good movie. I know some will trash anything Spielberg, but this movie delivered on all levels with an amazing cast.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,694
    Titanic
    hedonist said:

• dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    edited April 2021
    Dances with Wolves
    @Dankind voting on Costner.  I would have bet money on that being your vote, lol!
    Titanic has an unforgivably shitty script and pretty bad acting, but I still think it's a masterpiece in almost every other way. I know every inch of that boat by the end, and that's quite a feat to accomplish!

My dorm crew actually destroyed my television set the night Forrest Gump beat Pulp Fiction. That piece of absolute shit film (albeit with a great soundtrack) is next!

The first 20 minutes or so of Saving Private Ryan (minus the inexcusable Spielberg touch sight gag of the soldier taking off his helmet only to have a bullet tear through his head) had the makings of a great film, then the dialogue happened. Also, fuck Schindler's List!

Out of this list, Unforgiven FTW!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
    Shakespeare in Love
    Swore never (ever!) to watch Titanic because of that fucking song.  Easily my least favorite song of all time and worked in an office where your desk phone would play the radio station when this movie came out and the song was huge.  Every time the song was on half of the office would hit "hold" on their phones, which would play the song at their desks.  Holy shit, I heard this song every 20 minutes for about a month.  I hate this movie, as a result, with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

I'm with you. I hate Céline Dion. Swore never to see it and still haven't. Every kid in our school took their gf to this movie. Luckily for me, I was single. Sucks that it broke all the box office records. Couldn't stand seeing it take out many of may all time favorites.
    Shakespeare in Love
    dankind said:
    Titanic has an unforgivably shitty script and pretty bad acting, but I still think it's a masterpiece in almost every other way. I know every inch of that boat by the end, and that's quite a feat to accomplish!

My dorm crew actually destroyed my television set the night Forrest Gump beat Pulp Fiction. That piece of absolute shit film (albeit with a great soundtrack) is next!

The first 20 minutes or so of Saving Private Ryan (minus the inexcusable Spielberg touch sight gag of the soldier taking off his helmet only to have a bullet tear through his head) had the makings of a great film, then the dialogue happened. Also, fuck Schindler's List!

Something is seriously wrong with you.  
    Shakespeare in Love
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

His hate for Spielberg is strong.
    Shakespeare in Love
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

How can one hate Raiders of the Lost Ark?
    Shakespeare in Love
    Either Silence or Unforgiven from this list. Never like Gump that much besides the stellar soundtrack. Schindler's List is so depressing that one viewing was enough. American Beauty was pretty good and at a time when it seemed secretly making dead people the main character was a thing. Dances and Braveheart have a lot of bloat and their lead actors egos are on full display throughout. Looking back, it is amazing these were the best films for their years when there was so many great movies.
    Titanic
    dankind said:

hahaha.  You are consistent, I love it.
    I also am not a Gump Fan.
    Shaving Ryan's Privates was just OK -- agree about the start of it being riveting.  Probably watched the start of that movie a dozen times.  # of times I watched it all of the way through?  2x.  Once in theater and once when first on HBO or whatever cable co showed it.  Rest of times it is a pop in movie.  Some scenes I really like but I don't enjoy watching the movie.

Agree on Unforgiven.  Also liked SOTL a lot - although the book was better. 

tbergs said:
    Either Silence or Unforgiven from this list. Never like Gump that much besides the stellar soundtrack. Schindler's List is so depressing that one viewing was enough. American Beauty was pretty good and at a time when it seemed secretly making dead people the main character was a thing. Dances and Braveheart have a lot of bloat and their lead actors egos are on full display throughout. Looking back, it is amazing these were the best films for their years when there was so many great movies.

Pretty much agree with everything here. 
  • Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,315
    Shakespeare in Love
    "We all have it coming kid."
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
    Titanic
    tbergs said:

I'm with you. I hate Céline Dion. Swore never to see it and still haven't. Every kid in our school took their gf to this movie. Luckily for me, I was single. Sucks that it broke all the box office records. Couldn't stand seeing it take out many of may all time favorites.

Haha. 

My 2nd least favorite song also features prominently in a movie, although the movie is not what made the song famous.  Well, Almost Famous.
    F that movie after the stupid Tiny Dancer scene. 
    My wife has a poster for that movie up in our house.  Cannot complain since I have dozens of PJ posters (at least one in every room!) but F that movie.  That song makes me want to take a shower and scrub a layer of skin off.
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,853
    The English Patient
    I saw almost all of these in the theatres.  English Patient was a "date movie".  I thought the movie acting was dazzling but Fargo was wayyyy better.
    Titanic
    I saw almost all of these in the theatres.  English Patient was a "date movie".  I thought the movie acting was dazzling but Fargo was wayyyy better.

The English Patient
    dankind said:

Gump is one of those movies I have to stop and watch no matter where I am.

Fell asleep during my first watch of Pulp.  Had to wait another year before I saw it again and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Shakespeare in Love
    tbergs said:

Haha. 

My 2nd least favorite song also features prominently in a movie, although the movie is not what made the song famous.  Well, Almost Famous.
    My wife has a poster for that movie up in our house.  Cannot complain since I have dozens of PJ posters (at least one in every room!) but F that movie.  That song makes me want to take a shower and scrub a layer of skin off.
    I've never actually seen Almost Famous. Never looked interesting, but on the subject of hated movie songs, another around that time that I fucking despise is that schlock Aerosmith song from that equally shitty bloat pile known as Armageddon. God there were some awful movies that had equally annoying theme songs and made all the girls swoon.
    edited April 2021
    Shakespeare in Love

mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:

How can one hate Raiders of the Lost Ark?
    Still probably one of my favorite movies of all time. The 80's and 90's were the time of Harrison Ford for me. Loved all his movies. Another missing from this list is The Fugitive. Great movie and Tommy Lee Jones as a crabby ass marshal was perfect.
    The English Patient
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:

Haha. 

I've never actually seen Almost Famous. Never looked interesting, but on the subject of hated movie songs, another around that time that I fucking despise is that schlock Aerosmith song from that equally shitty bloat pile known as Armageddon. God there were some awful movies that had equally annoying theme songs and made all the girls swoon.
    Next list should be Oscar winning songs.

@MedozK
    Shakespeare in Love
    dankind said:

Gump is one of those movies I have to stop and watch no matter where I am.

Fell asleep during my first watch of Pulp.  Had to wait another year before I saw it again and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Who falls asleep during a movie with 90's Samuel in it!? Iconic.
This discussion has been closed.