Options

POLL- The WEAKEST LINK: BEST PICTURE OSCAR WINNERS OF THE 1990s - ROUND 1

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Titanic
    tbergs said:
    tbergs said:
    Swore never (ever!) to watch Titanic because of that fucking song.  Easily my least favorite song of all time and worked in an office where your desk phone would play the radio station when this movie came out and the song was huge.  Every time the song was on half of the office would hit "hold" on their phones, which would play the song at their desks.  Holy shit, I heard this song every 20 minutes for about a month.  I hate this movie, as a result, with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

I'm with you. I hate Céline Dion. Swore never to see it and still haven't. Every kid in our school took their gf to this movie. Luckily for me, I was single. Sucks that it broke all the box office records. Couldn't stand seeing it take out many of may all time favorites.

Haha. 

My 2nd least favorite song also features prominently in a movie, although the movie is not what made the song famous.  Well, Almost Famous.
    F that movie after the stupid Tiny Dancer scene. 
    My wife has a poster for that movie up in our house.  Cannot complain since I have dozens of PJ posters (at least one in every room!) but F that movie.  That song makes me want to take a shower and scrub a layer of skin off.
    I've never actually seen Almost Famous. Never looked interesting, but on the subject of hated movie songs, another around that time that I fucking despise is that schlock Aerosmith song from that equally shitty bloat pile known as Armageddon. God there were some awful movies that had equally annoying theme songs and made all the girls swoon.

I actually love that song and love that movie because of that song.....bear with me on this explanation.

The number of times my buddy (who I lived with after college when this movie was released and they were both popular) laughed our asses off at this piece of shit movie and sang "I don't want to close my eyes....!" or some horrid line from that even bigger piece of shit song would likely baffle anyone.  I am betting this was laughed at 500 times over a 5 year period.  We found every opportunity to make fun of it.  I could call this guy right now and make mention of the movie, the characters, the plot, the song, the band and I am 100% sure we would be joking and laughing about it right away.

For this reason I love them both.
    Even though they suck.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    The English Patient
    tbergs said:
    Swore never (ever!) to watch Titanic because of that fucking song.  Easily my least favorite song of all time and worked in an office where your desk phone would play the radio station when this movie came out and the song was huge.  Every time the song was on half of the office would hit "hold" on their phones, which would play the song at their desks.  Holy shit, I heard this song every 20 minutes for about a month.  I hate this movie, as a result, with the passion of a thousand burning suns.

I'm with you. I hate Céline Dion. Swore never to see it and still haven't. Every kid in our school took their gf to this movie. Luckily for me, I was single. Sucks that it broke all the box office records. Couldn't stand seeing it take out many of may all time favorites.

Haha. 

My 2nd least favorite song also features prominently in a movie, although the movie is not what made the song famous.  Well, Almost Famous.
    F that movie after the stupid Tiny Dancer scene. 
    My wife has a poster for that movie up in our house.  Cannot complain since I have dozens of PJ posters (at least one in every room!) but F that movie.  That song makes me want to take a shower and scrub a layer of skin off.
    I tried to watch Almost Famous. Maybe I did? I just recall the hype and how giddy some were about it.

GG, I had that scene in my head :lol:
  • Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    The English Patient
    tbergs said:
    dankind said:
    @Dankind voting on Costner.  I would have bet money on that being your vote, lol!
    Titanic has an unforgivably shitty script and pretty bad acting, but I still think it's a masterpiece in almost every other way. I know every inch of that boat by the end, and that's quite a feat to accomplish!

My dorm crew actually destroyed my television set the night Forrest Gump beat Pulp Fiction. That piece of absolute shit film (albeit with a great soundtrack) is next!

The first 20 minutes or so of Saving Private Ryan (minus the inexcusable Spielberg touch sight gag of the soldier taking off his helmet only to have a bullet tear through his head) had the makings of a great film, then the dialogue happened. Also, fuck Schindler's List!

Out of this list, Unforgiven FTW!
    Gump is one of those movies I have to stop and watch no matter where I am.

Fell asleep during my first watch of Pulp.  Had to wait another year before I saw it again and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Who falls asleep during a movie with 90's Samuel in it!? Iconic.
    The movie was not doing it for me.  Had never seen Reservoir Dogs either so wasn't sure what was going on with the mixed up timeline when I finally woke up.
  • Options
    eddieceddiec Posts: 3,837
    Titanic
    It shouldn't have won the Oscar, but I always liked Shakespeare. Yes, it was light-hearted and foolish at times, but it was a unique take on one of the most popular pieces of literature ever written.

I don't think I can vote against Braveheart. It's one of my all-time favorites. (My wife grew up not far from where they filmed all the battle scenes.) But if Pulp Fiction had won, I'd have a big dilemna.
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Dances with Wolves
    Not a bad movie, but I will never forgive the academy for voting this the best picture over Goodfellas. I haven’t watched the Oscars since. True story. 
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,632
    Shakespeare in Love
    Not a bad movie, but I will never forgive the academy for voting this the best picture over Goodfellas. I haven’t watched the Oscars since. True story. 
    Agreed.  Not close either.  
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Dances with Wolves
    mrussel1 said:
    tbergs said:
    mrussel1 said:
    dankind said:
    @Dankind voting on Costner.  I would have bet money on that being your vote, lol!
    Titanic has an unforgivably shitty script and pretty bad acting, but I still think it's a masterpiece in almost every other way. I know every inch of that boat by the end, and that's quite a feat to accomplish!

My dorm crew actually destroyed my television set the night Forrest Gump beat Pulp Fiction. That piece of absolute shit film (albeit with a great soundtrack) is next!

The first 20 minutes or so of Saving Private Ryan (minus the inexcusable Spielberg touch sight gag of the soldier taking off his helmet only to have a bullet tear through his head) had the makings of a great film, then the dialogue happened. Also, fuck Schindler's List!

Something is seriously wrong with you.  
    His hate for Spielberg is strong.
    How can one hate Raiders of the Lost Ark?
    There are four or five Spielberg movies that do it for me. Raiders of the Lost Ark is one of them. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,891
    edited April 2021
    Titanic
    Never saw Shakespeare in :Love nut everytime I hear or think of that movie i think of this scene :lol:  Shake-a-speare

Post edited by eeriepadave on
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,457
    Shakespeare in Love
    tbergs said:
    dankind said:

Fell asleep during my first watch of Pulp.  Had to wait another year before I saw it again and thoroughly enjoyed it.
    The movie was not doing it for me.  Had never seen Reservoir Dogs either so wasn't sure what was going on with the mixed up timeline when I finally woke up.
    My older sister took me to see Pulp Fiction knowing what a life-changing move it was. First time I was like "what the hell was that" and then 2nd time onwards I was just amazed. Quoted that movie with people in school the whole senior year. My high school years - best of times for movies and music. Too bad I was a complete dork. (was?)
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    Dances with Wolves
    Shakespeare in Love probably has the best script out of this group. Awful leads, though. And I think it would’ve been better as a play. 
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    The English Patient
    tbergs said:
    dankind said:

My older sister took me to see Pulp Fiction knowing what a life-changing move it was. First time I was like "what the hell was that" and then 2nd time onwards I was just amazed. Quoted that movie with people in school the whole senior year. My high school years - best of times for movies and music. Too bad I was a complete dork. (was?)
    Same.  Second time I saw it, loved it.  Lot's of good quotes from that movie.

"Say WHAT ONE MORE TIME MUTHAFUCKA!!!"
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Shakespeare in Love
    Someone throw one more vote at The English Patient so it can join the other 2 and then next round won't be 25 votes for it and 3 for eliminating whatever else gets a vote.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    edited April 2021
    Dances with Wolves
    tbergs said:
    Someone throw one more vote at The English Patient so it can join the other 2 and then next round won't be 25 votes for it and 3 for eliminating whatever else gets a vote.
    I can’t do it yet. 

That scene where the Sikh dude helps Juliette Binoche’s character rappel around with a flare to view the hidden cathedral art is one of my favorite moments in any film ever. 

Thing is, I can’t remember much else about the film at all. But that scene will stick with me forever.
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,625
    Titanic
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    I can’t do it yet. 

That scene where the Sikh dude helps Juliette Binoche’s character rappel around with a flare to view the hidden cathedral art is one of my favorite moments in any film ever. 

Thing is, I can’t remember much else about the film at all. But that scene will stick with me forever.

I remember thinking it would be the worst garbage I ever watched and I ended up liking it. 
    Same things with Shakespeare in Love.  Could not really have much lower expectations and thought it was boring but a good movie.
    Guessing I only watched both of these once, though.  Just because I like a boring movie does not mean I ever want to see it again.  :lol:               

Also, I don't remember that scene, perhaps I will need to watch that one again, at least to see that part.
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Shakespeare in Love
    English Patient was great.  A gut wrenching love story.  I would recommend anyone to smoke a joint and watch that movie...it's a move where you have to pay attention to everything.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,969
    Shakespeare in Love
    I should have voted for Titanic
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    Dances with Wolves
    dankind said:
    tbergs said:
    I can’t do it yet. 

I remember thinking it would be the worst garbage I ever watched and I ended up liking it. 
    Same things with Shakespeare in Love.  Could not really have much lower expectations and thought it was boring but a good movie.
    Guessing I only watched both of these once, though.  Just because I like a boring movie does not mean I ever want to see it again.  :lol:               

Also, I don't remember that scene, perhaps I will need to watch that one again, at least to see that part.
    Tom Stoppard wrote Shakespeare in Love. If you can just imagine decent lead actors saying those lines, you'd have a movie I'd watch often.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Dances with Wolves
    English Patient was great.  A gut wrenching love story.  I would recommend anyone to smoke a joint and watch that movie...it's a move where you have to pay attention to everything.
    I’ve never seen the English Patient. I think it was because Elaine Benes hated it so much. 
  • Options
    The English Patient
    If you smoked wouldn't you be worried about popcorn instead of the movie?  Or maybe your next snack?
  • Options
    Shakespeare in Love
    I’ve never seen the English Patient. I think it was because Elaine Benes hated it so much. 
    Classic episode. Sack Lunch!
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13;
    WF Center 10/22/13; Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16;
    Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18; SeaHearNow Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,889
    Unforgiven
    Unforgiven was one big pile of dog crap.  I hated that movie.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    tbergstbergs Posts: 9,244
    Shakespeare in Love
    mcgruff10 said:
    Unforgiven was one big pile of dog crap.  I hated that movie.  
    Who the hell are you?! Grab a few trays of ice and a nice bottle of cab and try again.
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • Options
    Shakespeare in Love
    I think the Unforgiven was great.  Yes it was slow, but the acting was spectacular. 
  • Options
    Titanic
    Unforgiven is a masterpiece as a Western.  Yes, it is slow - as most Westerns are. 
    The last however many minutes of the movie when Clint has some drinks and heads back into town are among my favorite that I've seen put to film.
    Absolutely amazing.
  • Options
    The English Patient
    Unforgiven is a masterpiece as a Western.  Yes, it is slow - as most Westerns are. 
    The last however many minutes of the movie when Clint has some drinks and heads back into town are among my favorite that I've seen put to film.
    Absolutely amazing.
    No it is not...
  • Options
    Titanic
    Absolutely amazing.
    No it is not...

:lol:     You do not like it, either?

Ahh well, that is why they make so many movies.  Some people love Gump and Saving Private Ryan.  Some people love Unforgiven.

• Options
    Shakespeare in Love
    Absolutely amazing.
    An utterly riveting 10 minutes or so, after a long tense buildup. Great movie. Probably my favorite on this list, since Pulp Fiction didn't, you know, win.

• Options
    Titanic
    I guess if Westerns are not your thing you wont be excited by this.....but while Clint is questioning the woman on the horse....and grabbing the bottle?  Classic stuff.

• Options
    Shakespeare in Love
    I guess if Westerns are not your thing you wont be excited by this.....but while Clint is questioning the woman on the horse....and grabbing the bottle?  Classic stuff.

God damn that movie's so good.

• Options
    Shakespeare in Love

God damn that movie's so good.
    I agree.  It's a slow burn and I love it. 
This discussion has been closed.