Options

Things you believe are obsolete and need to go.

Comments

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,186
    Cursive. I have no idea how to write in cursive anymore and don't particularly like trying to decipher someone else's attempt.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,726
    FiveBelow said:
    Cursive. I have no idea how to write in cursive anymore and don't particularly like trying to decipher someone else's attempt.

I think that one is already all but gone.  I find that sad.  Every now and then I'll come across a used book that has been inscribed to a friend or family member and quite often, the older the inscription, the more beautiful the writing.  It's a lost art and I always see that as sad and unfortunate. For example, back in the early 80's I met a man from the Boston area who was a master at hand chasing wood.  His pieces of hand made furniture were works of art- another all but lost art.  Very sad.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,029
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

I think that one is already all but gone.  I find that sad.  Every now and then I'll come across a used book that has been inscribed to a friend or family member and quite often, the older the inscription, the more beautiful the writing.  It's a lost art and I always see that as sad and unfortunate. For example, back in the early 80's I met a man from the Boston area who was a master at hand chasing wood.  His pieces of hand made furniture were works of art- another all but lost art.  Very sad.
    My penmanship is HOR-AH-BLE.  Horrible.  My teachers tried hard with me but for whatever reason myself and my two siblings should have become doctors.  Are handwriting is that bad...
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

It is definitely a lost art. My wife writes beautifully, I on the other hand...not so much. The funny thing is I have always been artistic but it has never translated to my penmanship.
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

My penmanship is HOR-AH-BLE.  Horrible.  My teachers tried hard with me but for whatever reason myself and my two siblings should have become doctors.  Are handwriting is that bad...

FiveBelow said:
    brianlux said:
    FiveBelow said:

It is definitely a lost art. My wife writes beautifully, I on the other hand...not so much. The funny thing is I have always been artistic but it has never translated to my penmanship.

My cursive used to be good but not great.  Both my parents wrote beautifully in cursive and, feeling a bit unskilled that way, I started to print.  Eventually I got so good at printing that a friend of mine once described my printing as being "like a typewriter".  But now days-  no more!  The hands are getting old and shaky.  My handwriting- cursive OR printing- generally sucks.  Kind of a bummer.  But I can still type, haha!
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,509
    My wife generously calls my handwriting chicken scratches.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I never learned proper typing (home keys, etc.). I still hunt and peck a bit, but I haven't been fired for taking too long to type yet.

The fucking machine works when you press the correct buttons; I don't think an entire elective class that teaches this "skill" is necessary. :lol:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    I never learned proper typing (home keys, etc.). I still hunt and peck a bit, but I haven't been fired for taking too long to type yet.

The fucking machine works when you press the correct buttons; I don't think an entire elective class that teaches this "skill" is necessary. :lol:
    Home keys...I have also adapted quite well to hunting and pecking.

• Options
    PJ_SoulPJ_Soul Vancouver, BC Posts: 49,543
    edited March 2021
    Kitchen cellophane. Why would everyone not just use Press n Seal? Cellophane doesn't work.
    With all its sham, drudgery, and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy. ~ Desiderata
  • Options
    PJ_Soul said:
    Kitchen cellophane. Why would everyone not just use Press n Seal? Cellophane doesn't work.

C. keeps some cellophane around and though I rarely use it, when I do, it never tears off correctly and always bunches up on itself.  Profane cellophane!

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    Put it in the freezer. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's not as versatile and more expensive.  It's not good for wrapping food directly, only as a covering.  Saran Wrap gives me the best seal on for wrapping burritos to go in the freezer.  I usually end up using foil sheets anyways though because they are easier when I'm rolling and wrapping myself.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    PJ_Soul said:
    It's not as versatile and more expensive.  It's not good for wrapping food directly, only as a covering.  Saran Wrap gives me the best seal on for wrapping burritos to go in the freezer.  I usually end up using foil sheets anyways though because they are easier when I'm rolling and wrapping myself.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    BronyBrony Posts: 628
    Hard seltzer. 
  • Options
    WobbieWobbie Posts: 29,476
    twitter.
    If I had known then what I know now...

Vegas 93, Vegas 98, Vegas 00 (10 year show), Vegas 03, Vegas 06
    VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Seattle1 09, Seattle2 09, Salt Lake 09, LA4 09
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Nuclear weapons. 

• Options
    UFC

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Ted Cruz

VIC 07
    EV LA1 08
    Columbus 10
    EV LA 11
    Vancouver 11
    Missoula 12
    Portland 13, Spokane 13
    St. Paul 14, Denver 14
    Philly I & II, 16
    Denver 22
  • Options
    Worrying. 

I've decided from now on everything is gonna be alright!
  • Options
    Worrying. 

Good for you!  Bravo!  If I could do that, I would probably add ten years to my life!

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,798
    obsoletists
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,794
    Worrying. 

I like that!
  • Options
    mookeywrenchmookeywrench Posts: 5,757
    Grumpy old people frustrated with changes revolving around the most mundane aspects of their lices.

.....and shitty auto correct.
    350x700px-LL-d2f49cb4_vinyl-needle-scu-e1356666258495.jpeg
  • Options
    Grumpy old people frustrated with changes revolving around the most mundane aspects of their lices.

.....and shitty auto correct.

My lice are just itching to change.
    Haha, sorry, had to do it.

Hey, don't knock the little things grumpy old people have to deal with.  A sore knee, back or foot when you're 35 is no big deal.  At 70, it can  make or break your day.  
    (Not me though.  Hack or pack.  I'm hacking, every day.)

• Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    dankind said:

Honestly maybe the best class I took in High School ( took it in either 92 or 93 ), stuck with me my whole life. Made typing papers in class so easy and I cannot imaging having to look at a keyboard to type out anything.
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:
    dankind said:

Honestly maybe the best class I took in High School ( took it in either 92 or 93 ), stuck with me my whole life. Made typing papers in class so easy and I cannot imaging having to look at a keyboard to type out anything.

I envy that!  The only way I was able to pass typing class in high school was to look at a couple of sentences and then type as fast as I could while looking at the keyboard.  I still look at the key board.  Here, I will attempt to type a few sentences without looking:
    Not looking:
    I esd treslly jappu to teieve the new Dinotrau Junotr album in the mail tofay.  Si fat, it sojhnds great!
    Looking:
    I was really happy to receive the new Dinosaur Jr album in the mail today.  So far, it sounds great!

Ahhhhh hahaha!  No can do!!!

• Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    The Oscars...
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    dankind said:

I envy that!  The only way I was able to pass typing class in high school was to look at a couple of sentences and then type as fast as I could while looking at the keyboard.  I still look at the key board.  Here, I will attempt to type a few sentences without looking:
    Not looking:
    I esd treslly jappu to teieve the new Dinotrau Junotr album in the mail tofay.  Si fat, it sojhnds great!
    Looking:
    I was really happy to receive the new Dinosaur Jr album in the mail today.  So far, it sounds great!

LOL

We did it on typewriters and it was so boring. Like using the finger keys typing dad 50 times than sad for 50 times , start with finger keys and then branch out from there. Always with 45 min exercise of not looking down and just typing simply words.

Again I hated it at the time , in college when I did not have to look down while typing something out and I could see others struggling I was so glad I took it.

Not making fun of those that cannot type on finger keys but just seems difficult.

• Options
    MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Paper can be cut down by about 99%
  • Options
    Matts3221 said:
    brianlux said:
    Matts3221 said:
    dankind said:

Not looking:
    Looking:

LOL

We did it on typewriters and it was so boring. Like using the finger keys typing dad 50 times than sad for 50 times , start with finger keys and then branch out from there. Always with 45 min exercise of not looking down and just typing simply words.

Again I hated it at the time , in college when I did not have to look down while typing something out and I could see others struggling I was so glad I took it.

Not making fun of those that cannot type on finger keys but just seems difficult.

Good for you for sticking with it!  I often wished I had but I get by with my sort of hybrid typing style. 
    I recently discovered there's a word for the type of typing people do on Smartphones called, simply enough, thumbing.   Is that what Vedder is doing to get back to heaven?

MayDay10 said:
    Paper can be cut down by about 99%

Paying bills on-line sure helps that way.  I still get a lot of unnecessary and unwanted junk mail though.  It's almost impossible to stop that.
    The other thing that would help would be to go to hemp paper.  We're still behind on that one because too many areas still have issues with pot.  The whole thing would be solved if the feds made pot legal.  Ending prohibition is overdue!