Gigaton would be a better album if...

Comments

• BrainofBGABrainofBGA Australia Posts: 3,888
    ...they could’ve played it live!

really like the album, such a shame that they haven’t had the chance to give it the live treatment. 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,904
    If anything, I'd cut two songs, because albums should be about 10 tracks and 45 minutes.

Maybe Superblood Wolfmoon and Buckle Up? 

But for the most part, the album is great. doesn't need and real tweaking.
    I do like how people not only made up tracks that don't exist, but they are having the band cop someone else's sound and not even sounds from PJs more dominant years.

IDK if it was the studios or a step in the production, recording to tape or just old mastering techniques, but those mid 90s albums (Vs- Yield) had a looseness that really complimented their sound. I feel like everything since s/t has been a bit too polished. And I get maybe thats what they want now, but I really miss that airiness of the recordings.

Gigaton, does come close to that and I really love that about this record.

• turner78turner78 Atlanta, GA Posts: 144
    IDK if it was the studios or a step in the production, recording to tape or just old mastering techniques, but those mid 90s albums (Vs- Yield) had a looseness that really complimented their sound. I feel like everything since s/t has been a bit too polished. And I get maybe thats what they want now, but I really miss that airiness of the recordings.

Gigaton, does come close to that and I really love that about this record.

This seems to happen when bands have been around for awhile. Way too much tinkering on each song in the studio trying to get it perfect. 

With that being said, I really like most of the songs. Not really a fan of Never Destination or Take the Long Way. 
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,272
    What's with the Super Blood hate?
    I miss igotid88
  • SM187650SM187650 Canada Posts: 696
    Take the long way is my favorite track. 
  • mcdevittpbmcdevittpb Posts: 212
    Double album.  4 Sides. Add Can’t Deny Me, Get It Back, and Of The Earth. 
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,818
    This is my favorite album since yield. It will be interesting to see how the songs translate live.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    it wasn't released amid a global pandemic when no one was paying attention, nor had energy to pay attention
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,664
    matt84 said:
    90% of the songs were replaced by better ones. Hate to be so negative towards this band, but it’s definitely the weakest album they’ve put out in my opinion.

And yes - Can’t Deny Me should definitely have been included.
    What record are you listening to? This record blows backspacer and Lightning bolt out of the water. This is a great album. To say it’s weak is odd to me IMO. Listen again maybe. 
    I feel the same. Don't like it at all. 
    Duke, that’s not the same 
  • MH56465MH56465 Posts: 30
    ...Superblood Wolfmoon had been an instrumental.

terrible, terrible lyrics.
  • CP218430CP218430 Posts: 1,891
    I don't hate any song but Superblood Wolfmoon is my least favorite. I actually put this on yesterday for the first time in a looooong time (I think pandemic album when I think of this one and that's not good) and listened again today...I like it. It has legs. These songs will be phenomenal live. I don't think "Can't Deny Me" needed to be on here, not sure where it would've worked with the flow. Big fan overall.
    98: St. Louis. 2000: Alpine. 2003: Chicago. 2006: Chicago Night 2, Milwaukee Night 1. 2007: Chicago (Lolla). 2009: Chicago 1 & 2. 2011: Alpine 1 & 2. 2013: Chicago & LA Night 1. 2016: Chicago 1 & 2. 2018: Chicago 1 & 2. 

"Let the Ocean dissolve away my past."
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,272
    MH56465 said:
    ...Superblood Wolfmoon had been an instrumental.

terrible, terrible lyrics.
    What's so bad about the lyrics? 
    I miss igotid88
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,475
    I like the album, a lot; Easily my favorite PJ album of the last 15 years, possibly since Yield. 

I also agree it would be better if they got to tour and play these songs live. 
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,039
    Double album.  4 Sides. Add Can’t Deny Me, Get It Back, and Of The Earth. 
    Absolutely!  I think this would make a phenomenal album even better. 
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,831
    Just get rid of buckle up and add anything.  
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • matt84matt84 Posts: 588
    matt84 said:
    90% of the songs were replaced by better ones. Hate to be so negative towards this band, but it’s definitely the weakest album they’ve put out in my opinion.

And yes - Can’t Deny Me should definitely have been included.
    What record are you listening to? This record blows backspacer and Lightning bolt out of the water. This is a great album. To say it’s weak is odd to me IMO. Listen again maybe. 
    I bought the album day one and have listened to it many many times. I still do! Every time I listen to it I hope it’ll just suddenly click with me and I’ll say, “hey this is a great album”. But I think the time has passed. I just don’t think it’s very good at all. And although Lightning Bolt and Backspacer are no masterpieces - I think they are a much more enjoyable listen.
  • LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,743
    Haven't heard it yet. Bits and pieces only and doc.  
  • 2-feign-reluctance2-feign-reluctance TigerTown, USA Posts: 23,140
    Great record, I'd change nothing except add in the song they released last fall.
    www.cluthelee.com
  • PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,763
    hrd2imgn said:
    it wasn't released amid a global pandemic when no one was paying attention, nor had energy to pay attention
    thats the way you debate old school on Make a GIF
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• PB11041PB11041 Earth Posts: 2,763
    I could quibble about the tracking and that possibly side C maybe carries things on too long.  But it's their most cohesive records since Binaural.  And their most interesting sounding one too.
    His eminence has yet to show. 
    http://www.hi5sports.org/ (Sports Program for Kids with Disabilities)
    http://www.livefootsteps.org/user/?usr=3652

• Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    CP218430 said:
    I don't hate any song but Superblood Wolfmoon is my least favorite. I actually put this on yesterday for the first time in a looooong time (I think pandemic album when I think of this one and that's not good) and listened again today...I like it. It has legs. These songs will be phenomenal live. I don't think "Can't Deny Me" needed to be on here, not sure where it would've worked with the flow. Big fan overall.

Glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I tried to listen to the album yesterday but it just gives me vibes of the start of our ongoing pandemic.

I know that is not a reason to not like an album but for me hearing it puts me in a weird space ( if that makes any sense )

Honestly its a shame that is how my brain reacts to hearing that album.

• drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,375
    Only way to improve it is change the title.  Not a fan of that title.  Great album tho 
    This
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    Matts3221 said:
    CP218430 said:

Glad I am not the only one who feels this way. I tried to listen to the album yesterday but it just gives me vibes of the start of our ongoing pandemic.

I know that is not a reason to not like an album but for me hearing it puts me in a weird space ( if that makes any sense )

Honestly its a shame that is how my brain reacts to hearing that album.

It makes perfect sense.

There's no right or wrong opinion on this album, it's all subjective. I personally love it, but can completely understand your perspective. 
  • Tjm007Tjm007 Posts: 145
    Will Buckle up ever be played live ?
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,831
    Tjm007 said:
    I hope to god not. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,417
    Tjm007 said:
    This is a good question.  I’m guessing it will be played but it makes me wonder.  Are there any studio album songs besides the gimmick songs that haven’t been played at least once? 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

I friggin' love Buckle Up.
  • mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,375
    I friggin' love Buckle Up.
    Me too. If I had to drop one song, it would be Retrograde.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com