Options

Has anyone gotten the vaccine?

Comments

• Options
    oftenreadingoftenreading Victoria, BC Posts: 12,842
    I guess Trudeau ’s “one dose summer” marketing slogan was a failure.  So now we are back to getting fully vaccinated by September…he’s more of a snake oil salesman…but can you really trust anyone who wore “blackface” 3 times in the 90’s.
    https://apple.news/AkayLeP0_RDiC7IfEnWq-5w

Growing evidence from multiple studies showing that one dose of vaccine (Pfizer, Moderna and AZ) provides 60 - 80% protection against all covid infections and 80 - 90% protection against serious illness, thus confirming the wisdom of a strategy prioritizing single dose to as many people as possible first rather than two doses to half that number and leaving the rest unprotected. 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
  • Options
    Oh look, a study showing that waiting at least 12 weeks to give the second dose of a Pfizer leads to an immune response that is 3.5 times stronger than if the second dose is given at 3 weeks. The strategy of delaying the second dose pays off. 

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    Piss off, Canada!
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    Piss off, Canada!
    If you have a problem with the majestic Canadian Goose then you have a problem with me.

Piss off Masshole!
  • Options
    Meltdown99Meltdown99 None Of Your Business... Posts: 10,739
    jhager79 said:
    Windsor Regional Hospital is trying to acquire vaccines out of Michigan…

our senior levels of government has screwed up vaccine acquisitions bad hospitals are going it alone…

it’s a clusterfuck up here in the North…

id like to see the US border opened…I’d just cross and get my second shot in Michigan.

I never thought the Canada/ US border would close, now I'm positive it's never going to re-open.
    Have a co-worker who is flying into Illinois today to get his J&J vaccine instead of waiting. 
    I don’t blame him.  I think more and more Canadians will be doing that.  Time to open the border.  
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,870
    my 14 year old daughter who is immune compromised has her appointment May 30 for the Pfizer shot. My 11 year old is pissed she can't get her shot until she turns 12 in august. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,261
    my 14 year old daughter who is immune compromised has her appointment May 30 for the Pfizer shot. My 11 year old is pissed she can't get her shot until she turns 12 in august. lol
    Who'd have thought we'd ever live in a world where a kid was angry they couldn't get a shot.

This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    Who'd have thought we'd ever live in a world where a kid was angry they couldn't get a shot.

I know, right? LOL
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,997
    My nephew turns 12 in July and he feels the same way. Both of his older sisters have already been vaccinated. I am proud of him because he has been very diligent about wearing a mask. 
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    GlowGirl said:
    My nephew turns 12 in July and he feels the same way. Both of his older sisters have already been vaccinated. I am proud of him because he has been very diligent about wearing a mask. 
    both my girls have been too. Mostly the youngest; she and her friends have been amazing all the way through this. when it was a friend's birthday, they organized outdoor, masked, and distanced "parties" for that friend to make them feel special on their day if an indoor party wasn't allowed by health orders (and that's been the whole time I think). They did it again just the other day; I dropped her off at the school park and she and 5 others had a little picnic outside, masked, one of them messaged on Whatsapp "don't forget your hand sanitizer!". it's incredible how a bunch of 11 year olds can adapt maturely and half of adults refuse to even do so. 

she and one friend will play mind craft together while facetiming, so it's like they're in the same room while playing; constant teams meetings with a big group of them. I've been very impressed with all of them. never even any tears. Just "let's make the best of this and we'll get through it". 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Johnny AbruzzoJohnny Abruzzo Philly Posts: 10,539
    edited May 2021
    Poncier said:

Yeah, mine are 10 & 9. I hope it's not too long until they can get their shots.

My uncle is developmentally disabled - when he got his shots he clapped and everyone around joined in with him in clapping.
    Post edited by Johnny Abruzzo on
    Spectrum 10/27/09; New Orleans JazzFest 5/1/10; Made in America 9/2/12; WF Center 10/21/13; WF Center 10/22/13;
    Baltimore Arena 10/27/13; WF Center 4/28/16; WF Center 4/29/16; Fenway Park 8/7/16; Fenway Park 9/2/18;
    Asbury Park 9/18/21; Camden 9/14/22

Tres Mtns - TLA 3/23/11; EV - Tower Theatre 6/25/11; Temple of the Dog - Tower Theatre 11/5/16
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,997
    GlowGirl said:
    both my girls have been too. Mostly the youngest; she and her friends have been amazing all the way through this. when it was a friend's birthday, they organized outdoor, masked, and distanced "parties" for that friend to make them feel special on their day if an indoor party wasn't allowed by health orders (and that's been the whole time I think). They did it again just the other day; I dropped her off at the school park and she and 5 others had a little picnic outside, masked, one of them messaged on Whatsapp "don't forget your hand sanitizer!". it's incredible how a bunch of 11 year olds can adapt maturely and half of adults refuse to even do so. 

she and one friend will play mind craft together while facetiming, so it's like they're in the same room while playing; constant teams meetings with a big group of them. I've been very impressed with all of them. never even any tears. Just "let's make the best of this and we'll get through it". 
    That’s great. Kids are so resilient. It’s adults that I worry about. I have twin nephews who are only three years old. They started preschool this year and have to wear their little masks. Since they had never been to school before and love it there I think they think that mask wearing is a normal part of going to school. They willingly put their masks on for school days. I think they will surprised when they don’t have to wear them anymore. 
  • Options
    Poncier said:

Yeah, mine are 10 & 9. I hope it's not too long until they can get their shots.

My uncle is developmentally disabled - when he got his shots he clapped and everyone around joined in with him in clapping.
    Love it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

That’s great. Kids are so resilient. It’s adults that I worry about. I have twin nephews who are only three years old. They started preschool this year and have to wear their little masks. Since they had never been to school before and love it there I think they think that mask wearing is a normal part of going to school. They willingly put their masks on for school days. I think they will surprised when they don’t have to wear them anymore. 
    my wife is an Early Childhood Educator and she cried nearly every day in the beginning not being able to see the smiles of the little ones, and actually, more importantly, they couldn't see hers. at that age they often wouldn't recognize her until she was far enough away and would pull down her mask to smile at them, and then they'd finally get all excited and smile at her. she truly believes this is going to cause some type of psychological issues with the really young ones later on....kids as young as two communicate a lot via facial expression, and without that, she sees a lot of stress and sadness in them. I sure hope it didn't last long enough to have any lingering effects on them. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Matts3221Matts3221 Posts: 658
    GlowGirl said:
    GlowGirl said:

my wife is an Early Childhood Educator and she cried nearly every day in the beginning not being able to see the smiles of the little ones, and actually, more importantly, they couldn't see hers. at that age they often wouldn't recognize her until she was far enough away and would pull down her mask to smile at them, and then they'd finally get all excited and smile at her. she truly believes this is going to cause some type of psychological issues with the really young ones later on....kids as young as two communicate a lot via facial expression, and without that, she sees a lot of stress and sadness in them. I sure hope it didn't last long enough to have any lingering effects on them. 

Wife is also a teacher , we both believe that there will be issues decades from now with all of these children. I think of the toll is has taken on adults and I just think those in early education are falling behind and at such an age that it will scar them for a long time. I pray I am wrong.  
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    My 11-year-old daughter is upset that can't get the vaccine yet; my son is 8 and feels the same way.

Strange times, indeed.

If they are approved for their age cohort around August, as I've read a few places, that would be good.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    jhager79 said:
    Windsor Regional Hospital is trying to acquire vaccines out of Michigan…

our senior levels of government has screwed up vaccine acquisitions bad hospitals are going it alone…

it’s a clusterfuck up here in the North…

id like to see the US border opened…I’d just cross and get my second shot in Michigan.

I never thought the Canada/ US border would close, now I'm positive it's never going to re-open.
    Have a co-worker who is flying into Illinois today to get his J&J vaccine instead of waiting. 

It's going to open. Apparently the government is currently working on the plan for gradual reopening.

On the very bright side, more than 50% of the eligible population (41% of the total population) has received at least one vaccination now!
  • Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,691
    edited May 2021
    ^ our target is 75% one dose and 20% both before feds endorse lessening restrictions.
    Post edited by Spunkie on
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 12,070
    My step dad had AZ 2 months ago 1st dose.  And has no antibodies after doing a blood test.  Food for thought. 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    The head of our local hospital has asked the Canadian Government to clarify whether crossing into Michigan to get vaccinated is an essential medical procedure…good for him.  Hopefully he gets it clarified soon…
    Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I was supposed to get my second shot this morning - right NOW, in fact - but woke up feeling pukey and unwell.  Rescheduled for next week.  Woohoo.
  • Options
    My step dad had AZ 2 months ago 1st dose.  And has no antibodies after doing a blood test.  Food for thought. 
    https://www.mdanderson.org/cancerwise/what-do-negative-positive-antibody-test-results-mean-after-a-covid-19-vaccine.h00-159459267.html

Can antibody tests determine if the COVID-19 vaccine was effective?

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) discourages antibody testing for assessing immunity after getting the vaccine.

A vaccinated person is very likely to get a negative result from a serology test, even if the vaccine was successful and protective. That’s because different serology tests detect antibodies to different parts of the virus.

Some tests detect antibodies to the spike protein of the virus, which are produced in response to viral infection or the vaccine. Others detect antibodies to a different part of the virus called the nucleocapsid protein, which are produced in response to infection, but not by the current vaccines.

MD Anderson’s Blood Bank uses an antibody test designed to detect antibodies to the nucleocapsid protein, which means donors who have received the COVID-19 vaccine will likely receive a negative antibody test result.

“A vaccinated person should not be alarmed or worried if they receive a negative antibody test result because this test does not detect antibodies from the Pfizer, Moderna and Johnson & Johnson’s Janssen COVID-19 vaccines, which were developed against the spike protein of the virus,” says Fernando Martinez, M.D., medical director of Laboratory Medicine. “This reinforces the guidance from the CDC that serology tests should not be used to test for immunity.”

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2021
    Az we had.  And both me and my lady had anti bodies after 1st dose. I found it odd as this is not an mrna vaccine and is like a soup of antibodies instead  of a spike instruction.   But good news i suppose.   My dr said it goes to show we need 2 doses. Im no medic
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Az we had.  And both me and my lady had anti bodies after 1st dose. I found it odd as this is not an mrna vaccine and is like a soup of antibodies instead  of a spike instruction.   But good news i suppose.   My dr said it goes to show we need 2 doses. Im no medic
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/research-raises-questions-over-delayed-second-vaccine-doses-for-seniors-1.5362333

Research raises questions over delayed second vaccine doses for seniors

Give Peas A Chance…
  • Options
    edited May 2021
    https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/coronavirus/research-raises-questions-over-delayed-second-vaccine-doses-for-seniors-1.5362333

Research raises questions over delayed second vaccine doses for seniors

Outdated information. A study released last week shows that seniors who have a second dose delayed 12 weeks have a much higher immune response, with 3.5 times the antibodies produced. This includes people in their 80s. 

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-01299-y
    Post edited by oftenreading on
  • Options
    My step dad is only 56
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    Indifference71Indifference71 Chicago Posts: 14,750
    Got my 2nd Pfizer dose yesterday.  My arm is really sore but other than that I'm feeling pretty good....hopefully it stays that way.
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,983
    get my second shot (Phizer) tomorrow after work.
    bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    get my second Pfizer shot tomorrow Am

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,648
    Shot 1 Day 1…..perfect. Not even a sore arm after 12 hours.  

Shot 1 Day 2…..weird maybe? All day i’ve felt like im floating or out of my body but close behind :lol: