Options

HELP NEEDED - I think I purchased a counterfeit 1998 Dallas Poster - Seeking photos for comparison

2»

Comments

• Options
    Dvdpenny72Dvdpenny72 Seattle Posts: 108
    on2legs said:
    Your photos definitely don't look like the nice crisp, clean lines you get with a screen print.  There's a lot of noise around the edges that looks like a scanner was used and it's a reprint.

I'd agree that it doesn't look the same. I'd personally also open that frame up and check the paper type. These 98's are printed on several different stocks but if you have any others it's pretty easy to tell upon touch. Kinda nothing like them
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,420
    Also, you can see a big difference in the area that says Murder City Devils.  The eBay one is missing the ink offset of the red over the blue you get from a screen print and it’s missing the white drop shadow as well. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    pdalowskypdalowsky Doncaster,UK Posts: 14,698
    100 Pacer said:
    SHZA said:
    100 Pacer said:
    SHZA said:
    You outbid me. I'd say congrats, but...
    Ebay's buyer protection is excellent though. The pics do look a bit suspect. Surprising that people are selling fakes of these. Pretty elaborate scam to get it framed too 
    There have been fake ‘96s and ‘98s on the market for the last 20 years.
    Evidence, please 
    We’d have to hop in the DeLorean but sadly it’s down while I wait for parts to arrive.

There was a fella named Piotr based in Europe on eBay selling fake ‘96s and ‘98s in the early 2000’s (the fake ‘96 Istanbul comes to mind - I strung him along for weeks before pointing out the obvious) and quite a few flooded the market. The fake ‘03 San Antonio/Houston that flooded the market as well. Many others sadly.
    Hartford comes to mind
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 8,997
    Yeah, if someone has zero feedback that’s pretty suspicious. I understand not being a frequent seller, but your first interaction on eBay is a counterfeit poster? Who doesn’t have an eBay account with some purchases already? And if you don’t, I doubt you’re jumping to eBay to sell a poster. That’s a major red flag. 
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    Also, you can see a big difference in the area that says Murder City Devils.  The eBay one is missing the ink offset of the red over the blue you get from a screen print and it’s missing the white drop shadow as well. 
    The offset in the murder city devils matches badge matches the image of the poster on page 213 of Pearl Jam vs Ames Bros book.  I'm confident this is the original source for the scan.   

• Options
    I bought the 98 AP off of a member here and it doesn't have the offset on the white either around the Murder City Devils badge.

The poster I have is very crisp and not fuzzy where is says Slushie.  The paper is thin but so is my LA98 which no one was making counterfeits of.
  • Options
    I think the giveaway is how fuzzy the details are in the OP’s poster.  The offset could have been unintentional when the poster was screened by Ames.  An artist will usually use registration marks to line up each color screen so the ink ends up in the right spots. But if they don’t accurately line up the marks you could unintentionally get that offset in a genuine poster.  But the details would still be crisp and you wouldn’t get those fuzzy dots like you would get if a copy was digitally scanned and then printed. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    on2legs said:
    I think the giveaway is how fuzzy the details are in the OP’s poster.  The offset could have been unintentional when the poster was screened by Ames.  An artist will usually use registration marks to line up each color screen so the ink ends up in the right spots. But if they don’t accurately line up the marks you could unintentionally get that offset in a genuine poster.  But the details would still be crisp and you wouldn’t get those fuzzy dots like you would get if a copy was digitally scanned and then printed. 
    Something else on my poster is it has bleed over or layered colors that show up that both Dave and OP's posters don't.  A printer wouldn't have been able to pick that up.
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    Something else on my poster is it has bleed over or layered colors that show up that both Dave and OP's posters don't.  A printer wouldn't have been able to pick that up.
    Dave's poster has that look too.  If you look closely at the photos he posted you can see the bleed and/or layering of colors from the different screens like you describe.  Look at the tear drop shape around the date.  You can see distinct blue and red and also a darker color between them where the colors overlapped slightly.  And I agree with you, Chris... it would be very hard for a digital printer to reproduce it.  It's tough to see too much detail on the photos on ebay to really compare (which might be intentional by the seller).

• Options
    I've always wanted a good Dallas 98 fake for a cheap price since I'd never pay current value.  
  • Options
    I've always wanted a good Dallas 98 fake for a cheap price since I'd never pay current value.  
    Buy yourself a nice plotter and have at it.