Options

To what degree is everything in life political?

brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,766
A good question prompted by Statics statement in another thread.  Let's see what you all think.
“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

To what degree is everything in life political? 8 votes

Everything in life is political to some degree
12%
static111 1 vote
Most things in life are political to some degree
25%
mace1229rgambs 2 votes
A moderate number of things in life are political to some degree
25%
gimmesometruth27lastexitlondon 2 votes
Many things in life are not political at all (please provide examples)
25%
FiveBelowbrianlux 2 votes
Nothing in life is political, it's all smoke and mirrors
0%
Other (there's always room for "other")
12%
HughFreakingDillon 1 vote

Comments

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    People make things political. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:

And thankfully our pets don't join in that process.

My take is based on my college poli sci instructor who said basically that politics is one group facing off with another group or groups to gain advantage for what they desire.  I would argue that many of the creative arts are non political because the products of creativity are either individual or cooperative efforts to create something unique or enjoyable that has nothing to do with besting another effort or trying to gain advantage over another effort.  Yes, there is political art, to be sure, but much of it is apolitical as well.

I would also say that acts of kindness are apolitical, especially when done in secret.  Same for animal care- that is generally something that I see as not at all political.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,193
    This poll made me think of The Trees by Rush for some reason. It is a good thing many aspects of life are not human.

• Options
    brianlux said:
    hedonist said:

And thankfully our pets don't join in that process.

My take is based on my college poli sci instructor who said basically that politics is one group facing off with another group or groups to gain advantage for what they desire.  I would argue that many of the creative arts are non political because the products of creativity are either individual or cooperative efforts to create something unique or enjoyable that has nothing to do with besting another effort or trying to gain advantage over another effort.  Yes, there is political art, to be sure, but much of it is apolitical as well.

I would also say that acts of kindness are apolitical, especially when done in secret.  Same for animal care- that is generally something that I see as not at all political.
    True. Just being kind for the sake of it - no attachments or statements or acknowledgments. Fuck hoopla. 

But again, some love to turn anything political: eating meat, listening to certain musicians or comedians, what you purchase, how you purchase, how you raise your kid, even the most innocuous statements. 
  • Options
    JW269453 said:
    This poll made me think of The Trees by Rush for some reason. It is a good thing many aspects of life are not human.

Awesome song and lyrics, by the way!
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,853
    it's as political as you make it. i know loads of people who aren't political whatsoever. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    it's as political as you make it. i know loads of people who aren't political whatsoever. 

Me too.  Especially... well, she seems to think she is people:

• Options
  • Options
    We're looking for Static to click that top button. 
    [radio static]
    "Hello Static, come in Static."
    [continued radio static...]

• Options
    brianlux said:
    [radio static]
    You could just pm or @ him.

Unless he has ESP. 
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    [radio static]
    You could just pm or @ him.

Unless he has ESP. 

I do believe he has ESP but it is heavily interrupted by... you guesses it.
    ccczzzshshshschchchczzzchchchczzzzcccc......

• Options
    brianlux said:

That, my friends, is the fucking life.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    brianlux said:

That, my friends, is the fucking life.

It is, for sure!  What you see here is what we fondly call, "The spoiled rotten cat"!

• Options
    Im not political at all. But i do now see some things are pure politics.  But im not learned enough 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    Everything in life is political to some degree
    brianlux said:
    [radio static]
    Just clicked. Will join the convo later.  I tried to be a mixologist last night and made myself two very strong margaritas, that sent me too sleep.  Woke up feeling a bit under the weather.  Today will not be one of my most prolific posting days.   I love that you made a new topic with a poll though!
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    static111 said:
    brianlux said:
    [radio static]
    Just clicked. Will join the convo later.  I tried to be a mixologist last night and made myself two very strong margaritas, that sent me too sleep.  Woke up feeling a bit under the weather.  Today will not be one of my most prolific posting days.   I love that you made a new topic with a poll though!

Oh the woes of a tequila hang over- I know that one!  Take care off yourself this morning and check in when you're feeling better.

• Options
    This seems like the best place to post this.  It rings so true to me (and goddamn, I wish I could hear Carlin's thoughts on the state of today).
    https://youtu.be/pLifGCKfLPQ
  • Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    Made it about 30 seconds. Can't take much of the Tuckwad. Does the video get better?
  • Options
    hedonist said:
    This seems like the best place to post this.  It rings so true to me (and goddamn, I wish I could hear Carlin's thoughts on the state of today).
    https://youtu.be/pLifGCKfLPQ
    that's one of my now-favourite quotes: 'just because you're offended, doesn't mean you're right". I completely agree that it's gone too far. it started with good intentions, but people always have to take shit to extremes. and it's the vocal minority that the mob is fueled by, and if everyone would just take a step back and think about it, it's really not that big a deal. 

I, for one, applauded Kevin Hart when he was shamed about his homophobic slur and didn't bow to the mob. he said (paraphrasing) "i already apologized, I don't need to keep doing it to appease the mob, so fuck you, I'm not hosting the oscars". that's how you do it. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,020
    I said most things to some degree. Your dishwasher is political as well as most appliances. You don't even consider it but those are regulated as to how efficient they can be and how much water they can use. Just about every appliance is controlled by politics. Cars too. 
    Pets were mentioned as not being political, but they are. The city and county determines which types of pets you can have and how many, which breeds of dogs you can have. I have to pay a fee to have a dog in my yard and the government tracks who has pets. I know this because I get an invoice every year with my pet's name on it from the city. What type of lawn I have and how often I water it. There are laws around pharmaceutical gifts and donations that influence which medicines you decide to take. 
    Government/politics has an influence on so many little things by either taxing certain products or materials or giving tax breaks on other items or even kids to your type of roof on your house.  And all those decisions stem from something political one way or another. 
    I'm not saying any of that is bad, most of it is good. But politics plays some role in most things we do.
  • Options
    Hobbes said:
    Made it about 30 seconds. Can't take much of the Tuckwad. Does the video get better?
    I figured he wasn’t the best opener for this :lol:

He’s inconsequential to the piece itself though; I thought it was great. 
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,154
    hedonist said:
    JW269453 said:

Awesome song and lyrics, by the way!

Rand Paul would certainly say The Trees by Rush is not only a highly political song, but an inspiration of his political philosophy. Funny, when I was tooting the horn as a young teenager while listening to the early Rush albums, I never once thought about politics. Unfortunately, Neil’s early lyrics dragged many extreme libertarians into the fan base. Gag. FWIW Neil has claimed The Trees was inspired by a cartoon image and is not political.

“ When Rand Paul was a teenager, the lyrics of Canadian prog-rock band Rush spoke to him. “The Trees,” an allegorical tale of bitchy maples destroying a forest by fighting taller oaks for equality, was a particular favorite. Paul’s admiration for Rush has continued on into adulthood and he’s frequently used the band’s music to score his political life, from victory rallies to campaign commercials, all of which must make what drummer Neil Peart told Rolling Stone in an article published yesterday even more painful: Peart, a newly minted American citizen, would never vote for Paul.

Plus, Peart told Rolling Stone, it’s “very obvious” Paul “hates women and brown people.” Ouch. Those can’t be easy words for Paul to hear given his life-long admiration of Peart’s work. But maybe the Kentucky Republican saw this coming. He and Rush have had a somewhat contentious public relationship since his rise to national prominence in 2010. Back then, a lawyer for the band tried to get Paul to stop using its music at his events and to stop quoting lyrics in his speeches, citing copyright infringement. At the time, the lawyer wrote, “This is not a political issue — this is a copyright issue. We would do this no matter who it is.”

Now that seems to have changed. Though Neil Peart was an exuberant Ayn Rand fan in the ‘70s, he’s abandoned the ideas that influenced much of his early work. Peart calls himself a “bleeding-heart libertarian” who practices the same kind of generosity he lampooned in the 1975 ode to selfishness, “Anthem.” Paul, meanwhile, should probably start looking into possibilities for a new favorite band. Maybe this one.“

• Options
    HobbesHobbes Pacific Northwest Posts: 6,385
    hedonist said:
    Hobbes said:
    I figured he wasn’t the best opener for this :lol:

He’s inconsequential to the piece itself though; I thought it was great. 
    Okay, I skipped passed suckwad and watched the rest. Glad I did. I really enjoyed what John Cleese and Stephen Fry had to say. 
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    edited December 2020
    The degree to which many things are political to a person is determined by the person's privilege.  The more apolitical you are, the more privilege you show, to be entirely disengaged from politics shows an insulation from poverty, discrimination, and disadvantage. 
    ...or just plain old low intelligence or high apathy lol
    Post edited by rgambs on
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    The degree to which many things are political to a person is determined by the person's privilege.  The more apolitical you are, the more privilege you show, to be entirely disengaged from politics shows an insulation from poverty, discrimination, and disadvantage. 
    or a good sense of reality....knowing no matter what you do, the elites still control it all and your vote means little to nothing. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    rgambs said:
    or a good sense of reality....knowing no matter what you do, the elites still control it all and your vote means little to nothing. 
    Again, this is position of privilege. 
    Your vote matters when one candidate recognizes your right to marry the person you love and the other candidate calls your relationship a sin, or worse, and actively works to deny you equal protection under the law. That's just one example, there are others.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    It’s not either/or, black/white. Making assumptions about one’s privilege (one doesn’t  necessarily follow the other) may be incorrect.

Me, I’m disgusted with the whole political process and all involved. Dirt is the rule, honesty an exception. They ALL do it, from the White House on down.

My aversion to these fuckwads is what keeps me away, not some weird sense of advantage or “insulation “.
  • Options
    edited December 2020
    hedonist said:
    rgambs said:
    It’s not either/or, black/white. Making assumptions about one’s privilege (one doesn’t  necessarily follow the other) may be incorrect.

Me, I’m disgusted with the whole political process and all involved. Dirt is the rule, honesty an exception. They ALL do it, from the White House on down.

My aversion to these fuckwads is what keeps me away, not some weird sense of advantage or “insulation “.
    That's because you (and I) live insulated from direct attacks by politicians, and not everyone is so lucky. 

*Edit
    See my above example...
    Post edited by rgambs on
  • Options
    Im not sure i agree either
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    rgambs said:
    Again, this is position of privilege. 
    Your vote matters when one candidate recognizes your right to marry the person you love and the other candidate calls your relationship a sin, or worse, and actively works to deny you equal protection under the law. That's just one example, there are others.
    no it's not. there are many things in the political realm that affect me and my family directly. all I'm saying is that yes, there are incremental changes here and there, and sometimes big ones, but in the bigger picture, not much changes. 

just looking at the civil rights movement that predates my existence and this past year's events is just one example of how people think things change, but in reality they just stay the same. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com