Options

To what degree is everything in life political?

2»

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Other (there's always room for "other")
    and if someone who is affected by your example, a gay couple that can't marry or has a leader that openly disparages the entire idea; what if they choose not to vote? is that also coming from a place of privilege? cause it's not just middle class white males that don't vote. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,014
    Most things in life are political to some degree
    rgambs said:
    The degree to which many things are political to a person is determined by the person's privilege.  The more apolitical you are, the more privilege you show, to be entirely disengaged from politics shows an insulation from poverty, discrimination, and disadvantage. 
    ...or just plain old low intelligence or high apathy lol
    I would agree in the sense that the wealthier you are, the more you can afford to disregard government sanctions and probably not notice. You don't have to worry about smog checks because you always have a new, nice car. You don't have to worry about your lawn because you don't care about water restrictions since you can afford the tax penalty. You don't care about heating and cooling a huge mansion because you can afford the increased tiered billing scale designed to make people use less during peak times. You don't notice that your dishwasher doesn't clean with the newer water restrictions because you have the high end model with all the bells and whistles that is able to clean anyway. The wealthier you are probably aware of such things and how much the impact the middle and lower class.
  • Options
    rgambsrgambs Posts: 13,576
    Most things in life are political to some degree
    and if someone who is affected by your example, a gay couple that can't marry or has a leader that openly disparages the entire idea; what if they choose not to vote? is that also coming from a place of privilege? cause it's not just middle class white males that don't vote. 
    Refusing to participate in the political process is not the same as refusing to acknowledge the political nature of an issue though.
    Monkey Driven, Call this Living?
  • Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    edited December 2020
    Everything in life is political to some degree
    rgambs said:
    Refusing to participate in the political process is not the same as refusing to acknowledge the political nature of an issue though.
    And of course it all expands beyond electoral politics.  Choosing to boycott a coffee chain because some of the farmers downstream don’t get paid fairly or have good working conditions is a political act as well.  Not spending money at Amazon because enriching shareholders while looting small businesses and providing hazardous conditions for workers is also a political act.  Not buying fast fashion and choosing to find things that might be a little more expensive and durable..buying produce from the farmers market instead of Kroger.  All political acts that have nothing to do with electoral politics.  Some choices that depending on how privileged/insulated you are you may not even see as affecting the lives of others and being political.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    Other (there's always room for "other")
    rgambs said:
    who is refusing to acknowledge the political nature of an issue? we were talking about my apparent privilege by my comment that many people believe the process is a sham designed to enact little change. do i believe it? if I did, i wouldn't vote every election. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com