Options

An Experiment - The First Song You Ever Saw Live

Comments

• Options
    AponeApone Posts: 579
    Go - Leeds 2006
    2006: Leeds; 2012: Manchester 1; 2014: Leeds; 2017: London 1 (EV); 2018: Amsterdam 1, London 1, London 2; 2019: Amsterdam 1 (EV), Dublin (EV); 2022: Berlin, London 1, London 2, Budapest, Krakow, Amsterdam 1, Amsterdam 2; 2023: Chicago 1, Chicago 2
  • Options
    DJ253147DJ253147 Posts: 609
    edited November 2020
    Corduroy-Honolulu Dec. 9/2006
    Post edited by DJ253147 on
  • Options
    RP112579RP112579 Tinley Park, IL Posts: 3,359
    Long Road- Chicago, 1998
    6/29/98 Chicago-United Center
    6/18/03 Chicago-United Center
    5/17/06 Chicago-United Center
    7/19/13 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    10/11/13 Pittsburgh-Consol Energy Center
    10/17/14 Moline-IWireless Center (No Code)
    10/20/14 Milwaukee-Bradley center (Yield)
    4/26/16 Lexington-Rupp Arena
    8/20/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/22/16 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/18/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    8/20/18 Chicago-Wrigley Field
    9/5/23 Chicago-United Center
    9/7/23 Chicago-United Center
  • Options
    maximumlawmanmaximumlawman Regensburg, Germany Posts: 219
    Oceans, Frankfurt 1992. 
  • Options
    KS80184KS80184 Posts: 386
    Long Road, Detroit 1998
  • Options
    Father HubbardFather Hubbard Chicago Posts: 1,551
    tschav said:
    Do the Evolution, East Troy ‘98
    Same here!
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    Release
    Boston Garden 4/10/94
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    JimmyVJimmyV Boston's MetroWest Posts: 18,922
    Release, 4/10/94. Boston Garden

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Options
    stuckinlinestuckinline Posts: 3,359
    Betterman Cleveland 5-20-2006
  • Options
    Corduroy, 6/12/2000 Pinkpop
    There's a trapdoor in the sun!
    2000 Pinkpop Festival, Netherlands
    2006 Arnhem, Netherlands
    2006 Antwerp, Belgium
    2007 Nijmegen, Netherlands
    2009 Philadelphia 4, PA
    2010 Bristow, VA
    2012 Amsterdam 1, Netherlands
    2013 Buffalo, NY
    2013 Baltimore, MD
    2015 Global Citizen Festival New York, NY
    2016 Hampton, VA
  • Options

At some point where we got enough data we stopped counting, but these are the top 10 songs from the responses we got that were people’s first song they ever heard. Response number in column one, times opened with in column two.

the hypothesis going into this was that an overwhelming majority of people witnessed Release as their first ever performance. This has proved our hypothesis correct, but take into account how many more times its been opened with over the other in the top 10 here. Sometimes is likely the most surprising number even though the average fans debut show was anywhere between 1996-2000 and Sometimes as an opener is within that wheelhouse. A lot more data came in after we stopped counting (count all the votes, I know, but this isn’t a real election) so Long Road may have ended up with a higher total than Sometimes. Wash is lower on the list even though it’s been opened with more because more of the times they chose to open with it was in 1991 before many current fans began attending shows.
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,760
    Release 15/10/13
  • Options
    TravelarTravelar Kalamazoo, USA Posts: 3,359
    Animal, Detroit 6/25/2003
  • Options
    Save WhoSave Who Posts: 294
    Release - East Lansing 1998
    You should do this with closers.  I bet that show had one of the rarest with Soldier of Love
  • Options
    Save Who said:
    Release - East Lansing 1998
    You should do this with closers.  I bet that show had one of the rarest with Soldier of Love
    I think that may be a little too wide of a margin. Can’t assume it’s all Ledbetter, but there is something more significant about the first song people ever saw than the first closer they ever saw. Not to say it’s less memorable or relevant, but the data may not be as intriguing. 
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • Options
    ryph raphryph raph Posts: 887
    edited November 2020

WASH

SATURDAY OCTOBER 26TH 1991

CLEVELAND MUSIC HALL

Opening band

There was no one there at the time. 

Post edited by ryph raph on
    10-26-91 Cleveland
    4-2-92
    7-29-92
    5-4-95 Hovercraft / Cleveland
    8-26-98
    4-25-03
    5-20-06
    8-21-08 E.V. Chicago
    10-31-09 Philadelphia
    5-09-10 Cleveland
    5-10-10 Buffalo
    6-26-11 E.V. Detroit
    10-11-13 Pittsburgh
    10-12-13 Buffalo
    10-29-13 Charlottesville
    4-18-16 Hampton
    8-22-16 Chicago

• Options
    Corduroy, Hartford, '98
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    Release 15/10/13
    Worcester 1. Helluva good show. 

• Options
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    Release 15/10/13
    Worcester 2 - not as good as Ed was hungover from Worcester 1.  :D 
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,893

At some point where we got enough data we stopped counting, but these are the top 10 songs from the responses we got that were people’s first song they ever heard. Response number in column one, times opened with in column two.

the hypothesis going into this was that an overwhelming majority of people witnessed Release as their first ever performance. This has proved our hypothesis correct, but take into account how many more times its been opened with over the other in the top 10 here. Sometimes is likely the most surprising number even though the average fans debut show was anywhere between 1996-2000 and Sometimes as an opener is within that wheelhouse. A lot more data came in after we stopped counting (count all the votes, I know, but this isn’t a real election) so Long Road may have ended up with a higher total than Sometimes. Wash is lower on the list even though it’s been opened with more because more of the times they chose to open with it was in 1991 before many current fans began attending shows.
    I hope that Sometimes doesn't contest the vote ;)

• Options
    ComeToTXComeToTX Austin Posts: 7,577
    Act of Love - Austin '95
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    Release 15/10/13
    True...and our expectations were through the roof after night 1. Still, we got Other Side that night!

• Options
    DT6012DT6012 Posts: 201
    Long Road - Red Rocks 6/20/95...technically.

I’ve always considered Why Go my first live PJ song!

Was at what would have been my first show on Wolf Mountain in Park City. Crowd was singing “Why go home? Why go home?” as Eddie explained that they couldn’t play because of the thunderstorm that rolled through. 
  • Options
    JimmyV said:
    JimmyV said:
    PJNB said:
    Release 15/10/13
    True...and our expectations were through the roof after night 1. Still, we got Other Side that night!
    I (foolishly) skipped Worcester 1 being a Tuesday night & having already scored tix for Hartford & also Brooklyn 2, which was fine... those two nights more than made up for the 'down' night of Worcester 2. 
  • Options
    KV4053KV4053 Mike's side, crushed up against the stage Posts: 1,462
    ryph raph said:

WASH

SATURDAY OCTOBER 26TH 1991

CLEVELAND MUSIC HALL

Opening band

There was no one there at the time. 

#winner
    I know I was born and I know that I'll die. The in between is mine.
  • Options
    madtowndavemadtowndave Minneapolis, MN Posts: 4,012
    Sometimes
    Nashville 2000
    Nashville-00
    Nashville-03
    Chicago-07
    E.V. Milwaukee-08
    Chicago 1 & 2-09
    Alpine Valley 1 & 2-11
    Wrigley-13
    St. Paul-14
    Milwaukee-14
    Denver-22
    St. Paul 1 & 2 - 23
  • Options
    Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,479
    +1 Sometimes Randalls 96

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,628

Might be interesting to see a column, or another sheet charting the years people responding took in those shows.

Probably a lot of interesting ways to look at this.  Cool idea for a thread.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    AndoAndo Denver Posts: 410
    Breakerfall Saratoga Springs 2000
  • Options
    mattcozmattcoz Chicago Posts: 2,165
    Interstellar Overdrive into Corduroy