I call BS on some fans reaction to Purple 10

densandensan Posts: 563
edited November 2020 in The Porch
This is my opinion and nothing else. Most of it is conjecture.  I have thought for years that PJ merchandise is not what it appears to be. Meaning I do not believe this is extra income to for the band. If you knew these guys like I think I do, you would know better.

I believe the whole thing with merchandise just got out of hand, and PJ had to compromise their beliefs for the good of others. I think about the economy and all the people that work for PJ in some capacity. Think about the process, and all that are involved from the idea to actually pressing the vinyl, making the socks, drawing the poster, printing the poster, shipping the stuff, packing, etc. I believe families now depend on PJ to put food on their tables. I do not think I am the only one who feels this way. My proof is the latest surge in merchandise. We want this stuff, and it helps people.

BS that Mike, Ed, Matt, Jeff, and Stone want more the money. Fing BS. Almost every show I attended in Seattle was for some cause. They played for free. Get to know your band and maybe listen to their music. Answers any questions I may have. PJ have played countless benefits of the years. It would be awesome if the fan base would give PJ the benefit of doubt. 
Stay safe and best to you all
Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
Post edited by densan on

Comments

• FR181798FR181798 Posts: 2,166
    edited November 2020
    10c are definitely a business so doesnt bother me how much merch they sell. Think peoples main gripe was the constant selling of new merch but no annual singles or at least an update on something they paid for. That looks like its coming to some sort of closure with yesterdays update.

As for the purple Ten. I dont think this is a money grab thing from 10c. I honestly dont think they thought 10c members are looking for another copy of Ten. I think they got a small batch out of courtesy to members to give them the opportunity. Think the whole exclusive thing was just badly worded. You see that often and unfortunately it does cause confusion.

As its going to be sold at Target, its just like all these other classic albums that you see reissued on colored vinyl from time to time. It will be Sony who agreed to that.
    Post edited by FR181798 on
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    FR181798 said:
    10c are definitely a business so doesnt bother me how much merch they sell. Think peoples main gripe was the constant selling of new merch but no annual singles or at least an update on something they paid for. That looks like its coming to some sort of closure with yesterdays update.

As for the purple Ten. I dont think this is a money grab thing from 10c. I honestly dont think they thought 10c members are looking for another copy of Ten. I think they got a small batch out of courtesy to members to give them the opportunity.

As its going to be sold at Target, its just like all these other classic albums that you see reissued on colored vinyl from time to time. It will be Sony who agreed to that.
    Sounds reasonable. The fact that they are going to press the vinyl speaks volume to me. I really did not care either way what they did, but this shows an honest effort to make people happy. I agree with you. Thanks
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • guypjfreakguypjfreak Posts: 2,281
    If its for sale and you want say socks etc no worries go for it.. I don't think they are bringing out stuff just to make money.. As any band people want merch.. The band members have to earn money.. My son made a big thing about pj bringing out reissues of their albums.. Evey band is bringing out reissues lol.. The love for vinyl is back which helps.. Go pj and any other band.. Get your merch out 
  • HoccapukHoccapuk Posts: 532
    edited November 2020
    Peoples gripes with this reissue are two fold. First it was listed as a 10c exclusive (both original listing and in the news letter) and it’s not, and not everyone noticed the target sticker either.  Second the shipping costs.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,113
    edited November 2020
    we have a right to be upset. we love the band. we love the 10c and sadly we love the merch.  using the word 'exclusive' was misleading as not everyone including myself is familiar with the target sticker (and my eyes can't see it that well anyway even after zooming in).  if they said it would also be available at Target, then that would be fair. It was misleading no matter how you say it and leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Like the feeling you get when your sibling lies to you. You still love them and cherish them but it just leaves a yucky taste for a little bit.  Maybe if the net expenses would be the same it wouldn't be as bad but in this economy every $ means something and shipping is free with Target for many including myself. Edit; it's also buy 2 get 1 free on Target. FYI
    Post edited by elwayvedder on
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    we have a right to be upset. we love the band. we love the 10c and sadly we love the merch.  using the word 'exclusive' was misleading as not everyone including myself is familiar with the target sticker (and my eyes can't see it that well anyway even after zooming in).  if they said it would also be available at Target, then that would be fair. It was misleading no matter how you say it and leaves a sour taste in my mouth. Like the feeling you get when your sibling lies to you. You still love them and cherish them but it just leaves a yucky taste for a little bit.  Maybe if the net expenses would be the same it wouldn't be as bad but in this economy every $ means something and shipping is free with Target for many including myself. Edit; it's also buy 2 get 1 free on Target. FYI
    I just do not see your point. Totally kidding. I see your point. I keep thinking it will be numbered, or something different. If not, I know I would get Hell for listing something here that is not true. I did not see the target symbol either, and I am happy to say I do not know it. I know the dog with the target on its eye, and that makes me mad. leave the dog alone. I cannot see either. Get off my grass or I will sue you. Be safe my friend. :) Appreciate all you do too!
  • tino_11tino_11 Posts: 2,099
    we have a right to be upset. we love the band. we love the 10c and sadly we love the merch.  using the word 'exclusive' was misleading as not everyone including myself is familiar with the target sticker (and my eyes can't see it that well anyway even after zooming in).  if they said it would also be available at Target, then that would be fair. 
    This 100%. Things like this, on top of the holiday singles and the lack of communication on postage costs for the vault, are eroding trust in 10c. I don't think fans perception of 10c has been lower in my time being a member. Most of the issues could be resolved with more and better communication delivered in a timely manner. 
    10c, if you are reading, this is honest feedback. Please take it as that, not just a big whinge!

'F*** the pessimists. F*** 'em.' Eddie Vedder
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    If you look at my ~400 album vinyl collection on Discogs and sort by sale price (median or max), the first thing you’d notice is that the top of the list is dominated by PJ, The National and the Jack White Extended Universe. The second thing you’d notice is that while I have a lot of records by all of those artists, the ones at the top aren’t just any releases - they’re the PJ Vaults, Cherry Tree member exclusives and TMR Vault packages. 

I don’t personally buy records for their resale value, but the point is that there’s a big difference in the vinyl collecting world between fan club exclusives and other limited runs that are more widely available. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • ClapperClapper Posts: 208
    If I was in the band, I'd shut down 10 club all together. It's not worth listening to the constant bitching.  What about the revenue from those membership dues you say? By my estimate if they charged  actual market value for show tickets, they'd be able to replace a year of that revenue every 5-10 shows.  I just don't know what the ROI for the band is on keeping 10c going at this point.  
    1993 - Toronto
    1996 - Toronto
    1998 - Barrie
    2000 - Toronto
    2003 - Buffalo, Toronto
    2005 - Hamilton, Toronto
    2006 - Toronto I, Toronto II
    2008 - EV solo Toronto I
    2010 - Buffalo, Newark
    2011 - Toronto I, Toronto II, Hamilton
    2013 - London, Chicago, Buffalo, Brooklyn I, Brooklyn II, Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II
    2014 - Detroit
    2016 - Philadelphia I, Philadelphia II, New York I, New York II, Ottawa, Toronto I, Toronto II, Chicago I, Chicago II
    2018 - Boston I, Boston II
  • i said this tons of times..
    pj is a professional band,they are professional musicians,its their job..
    what ever they put out to sale its always fine by me..i would do the same if i run a business from the moment there people will buy it.
    its always up to fans and buyers if they want to buy something..
    i dont even care about if its exclusive or if its limited..thats their call too.
    my huge problem is this
    all those shipping companies and courier companies,had huge problem with their business during lockdowns and flights banned..so now they try to make that loss.
    and fuckin triple the price to everything..
    they charge crazy shit cos they know we dont have any option,u want somewthing u will pay the shipping cost.
    its not fair the buyer to pay the loss of the pandemic those shipping companies  had..
    they struggle?
    go figure how many problems all individuals had when they lost their jobwhen their store was close for months,when tourism was closed and they had no income etc..
    its ridiculous and disrespecful what they doing...(especially if u see that normal post office,DID NOT do the same,their prices are the same.)

"...Dimitri...He talks to me...'.."The Ghost of Greece..".
    "..That's One Happy Fuckin Ghost.."
    “..That came up on the Pillow Case...This is for the Greek, With Our Apologies.....”
  • i said this tons of times..
    pj is a professional band,they are professional musicians,its their job..
    what ever they put out to sale its always fine by me..i would do the same if i run a business from the moment there people will buy it.
    its always up to fans and buyers if they want to buy something..
    i dont even care about if its exclusive or if its limited..thats their call too.
    my huge problem is this
    all those shipping companies and courier companies,had huge problem with their business during lockdowns and flights banned..so now they try to make that loss.
    and fuckin triple the price to everything..
    they charge crazy shit cos they know we dont have any option,u want somewthing u will pay the shipping cost.
    its not fair the buyer to pay the loss of the pandemic those shipping companies  had..
    they struggle?
    go figure how many problems all individuals had when they lost their jobwhen their store was close for months,when tourism was closed and they had no income etc..
    its ridiculous and disrespecful what they doing...(especially if u see that normal post office,DID NOT do the same,their prices are the same.)

I don’t know about Europe dimi, but USPS shipping costs to Canada have skyrocketed. It’s ridiculous really.  I’ve stopped buying from US sellers on Discogs. It’s half the price to get a record from Germany.
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,799
    I am convinced they outsourced the operations of the 10C, including the website and merchandise, when they closed the old board and started the digital memberships. There is a cottage industry that runs fan clubs for bands. Revenue from music evaporates and these other revenue streams expand. This band and the 10C got too big to manage internally. Dog collars. Halloween shirts. Limited editions of old music. Those are marketing strategies executed by professionals that know how use a band's popularity to generate revenue. It is what is. Can't blame them for wanting to make a buck while they can. OP this is about generating revenue when they cannot play gigs and new music generates less direct revenue.
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,685
    I think they are a small operation who relies on some bigger outside vendors to execute stuff because they are a small operation and because of that some stuff has to be comprised or falls through the cracks. It doesn't help that the band appears to be kinda hands off 10c stuff. maybe I'm wrong, but it comes across that way. 

But for the most part (shipping and communications aside), I still think the 10c experience is great and their engagement with fans is more robust than most every other band who just e-mail blast merch drops randomly and don't feel special.

• Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,799
    I think they are a small operation who relies on some bigger outside vendors to execute stuff because they are a small operation and because of that some stuff has to be comprised or falls through the cracks. It doesn't help that the band appears to be kinda hands off 10c stuff. maybe I'm wrong, but it comes across that way. 

But for the most part (shipping and communications aside), I still think the 10c experience is great and their engagement with fans is more robust than most every other band who just e-mail blast merch drops randomly and don't feel special.

That is exactly right.  Id guess Jeff may be the one giving the yay or nay on particular designs, but someone else is driving the bus.
  • Miscommunication or complete lack of communication. That is where they need to improve. Many of the other complaints are valid, some are a little nitpicky. Simple, clear communication doesn't cost anything. They could easily do a better job at that.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • SeaSea Posts: 3,010
    We don’t need multiple threads on this topic. Please use the existing thread to discuss, disagree politely. Please Be nice. We're very big on RESPECT here. Respect for each other, the band and the Ten Club Community forum environment. Thank you.
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/228366/forum-posting-guidelines

This discussion has been closed.