#46 President Joe Biden

Comments

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    edited October 2023
    mace1229 said:
    But paycheck to paycheck was just one point. Housing is crazy. Houses have doubled in 5 years, causing rent to go up as well. Interest rates have been way up in the last year. Inflation was way up. Cost of cars are way up. I read an article a few months ago that because more people can't afford new cars, the used market has gone way up and people are driving older cars much longer. Which makes repairs and maintenance more costly because auto shops are slammed try to keep older cars running longer than before. Good if you're a mechanic, bad if you're everyone else.  It shouldn't be a surprise that more Americans are finding it harder to live on what they make compared to a few years ago.
    There are upper class people that live paycheck to paycheck you know? Some people just are not good with money whether they make $25K/year or $250K/year. 

You wouldn't believe how many people I see that make $250-$400K and have no investment income whatsoever.
    when I complained to a buddy about our disparity in income, he said "I just have more debt than you". true enough. (he's not bad with money, he was referring to bigger house, more cars, etc)
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,532
    edited October 2023
    mace1229 said:
    But paycheck to paycheck was just one point. Housing is crazy. Houses have doubled in 5 years, causing rent to go up as well. Interest rates have been way up in the last year. Inflation was way up. Cost of cars are way up. I read an article a few months ago that because more people can't afford new cars, the used market has gone way up and people are driving older cars much longer. Which makes repairs and maintenance more costly because auto shops are slammed try to keep older cars running longer than before. Good if you're a mechanic, bad if you're everyone else.  It shouldn't be a surprise that more Americans are finding it harder to live on what they make compared to a few years ago.
    There are upper class people that live paycheck to paycheck you know? Some people just are not good with money whether they make $25K/year or $250K/year. 

You wouldn't believe how many people I see that make $250-$400K and have no investment income whatsoever.
    when I complained to a buddy about our disparity in income, he said "I just have more debt than you". true enough. (he's not bad with money, he was referring to bigger house, more cars, etc)
    I have so many examples of people that look like they live under a bridge but have a million $$ in the bank. It's amazing.

One of my wealthiest clients lives in a very modest home, rarely if ever goes on vacation, and drives modest vehicles. He complains about taxes constantly but his struggle right now is whether or not he wants to buy another commercial building for $8mil. Never stepped foot in college.

I really can't put my finger on what it is about people that either makes them financially responsible or not. 

Not that we argue much but I have had some arguments with my wife about some of this stuff. She has the "you can't take it with you" attitude and I'm more about making sure we'll be comfortable until we die. I did cave and put in a pool a few years ago so I'm hoping that keeps her happy for awhile but now she's starting to complain about remodeling the kitchen.
    Post edited by Gern Blansten on
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mace1229 said:

One could argue more debt means that he is indeed not good with money.  Lots of info goes into what that evaluation could look like.

The love he receives is the love that is saved
    mace1229 said:

One could argue more debt means that he is indeed not good with money.  Lots of info goes into what that evaluation could look like.

I'm talking about assets though. not credit card debt

www.headstonesband.com

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    mace1229 said:

I have so many examples of people that look like they live under a bridge but have a million $$ in the bank. It's amazing.

One of my wealthiest clients lives in a very modest home, rarely if ever goes on vacation, and drives modest vehicles. He complains about taxes constantly but his struggle right now is whether or not he wants to buy another commercial building for $8mil. Never stepped foot in college.

I really can't put my finger on what it is about people that either makes them financially responsible or not. 

Not that we argue much but I have had some arguments with my wife about some of this stuff. She has the "you can't take it with you" attitude and I'm more about making sure we'll be comfortable until we die. I did cave and put in a pool a few years ago so I'm hoping that keeps her happy for awhile but now she's starting to complain about remodeling the kitchen.

happy wife. happy life.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    mace1229 said:

I'm terrible with money. always have been. ever since money came into my life in the form of an allowance. would spend it all instantly. I'd go to the toy store and I'd be disappointed if I didn't find something to spend my money on.

for me, it's filling the happiness hole. I've been struggling with the cycle of "fuck, I have to stop spending" and I'm responsible a good while. then I fall back into it. Buying Lost Dogs on vinyl for instance. No WAY I should have forked out $450US on that. or that stupid Pearl Jam baseball bat. or most of the records and posters (and all merch really). It's just a personality flaw. 

www.headstonesband.com

• mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    mace1229 said:
    You're smarter than this.  You can't say "interest rates are way up" and then say "inflation is way up".  It's like you're living in the moment with no context.  Interest rates are intentionally up to cool inflation.  And it is clearly working.  YOY inflation is way down from the peak.  It doesn't happen overnight.  And we all know that inflation sky rocketed world wide when demand for good and fuel exploded before the supply chains were ready post-pandemic. You know all of this. 

And housing prices are NOT up because of inflation.  Housing prices exploded because people were de-leveraged on debt coming out of the pandemic and flush with cash.  Interest rates were still historically low and so bidding wars ensued.  Much of this has to do with the lack of affordable housing in this country.  But unless you are arguing that the federal gov't should start building houses for people, this is a market issue, not a gov't one.  
  • I’d be willing to wager that the majority of those folks living paycheque to paycheque have the latest iPhone, with the unlimited data plan, 60” flat screen tv, with the premium cable package, live well outside of where they work and drive a car or truck with all the bells and whistles and shitty mpg, and maybe a few kids. Just a guess. Whatever happened to “personal responsibility?”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    mace1229 said:

I'm terrible with money. always have been. ever since money came into my life in the form of an allowance. would spend it all instantly. I'd go to the toy store and I'd be disappointed if I didn't find something to spend my money on.

for me, it's filling the happiness hole. I've been struggling with the cycle of "fuck, I have to stop spending" and I'm responsible a good while. then I fall back into it. Buying Lost Dogs on vinyl for instance. No WAY I should have forked out $450US on that. or that stupid Pearl Jam baseball bat. or most of the records and posters (and all merch really). It's just a personality flaw. 
    I would suggest unloading that Lost Dogs to me for a hundo.  The reissue is coming and you're going to get stuck with it.  Make the right call now... you know my PM.  
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    edited October 2023
    Well Trumpolinni did pass that great tax break package that is supposed to trickle down to middle class has it? 
    When it passed they told us it would rocket the GDP upwards. Now 5 years or so later the same people who voted for the ones who passed the tax cuts are saying the GDP being higher doesn't mean a damn thing.

IRONY!
    MAGA!
    www.myspace.com
    mrussel1 said:
    mace1229 said:

I would suggest unloading that Lost Dogs to me for a hundo.  The reissue is coming and you're going to get stuck with it.  Make the right call now... you know my PM.  
    haha, I've had it listed on discogs for months for the same price I bought it here. it doesn't seem to be in as high demand as it once was. 

www.headstonesband.com

I’d be willing to wager that the majority of those folks living paycheque to paycheque have the latest iPhone, with the unlimited data plan, 60” flat screen tv, with the premium cable package, live well outside of where they work and drive a car or truck with all the bells and whistles and shitty mpg, and maybe a few kids. Just a guess. Whatever happened to “personal responsibility?”
    Yep...and a lot of them complaining are just bad with money.

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    I'd disagree that the "majority" are bad with money. the majority are not like me. lol. the majority just don't have the funds to save. 

www.headstonesband.com

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,121
    edited October 2023
    I think you may be missing the point that Halifax, Gern, and I are making.
    It doesn't have to be credit card debt to indicate someone is bad with money.
    Buying too big a house, having too many or too expensive cars, this is part of the American "living beyond means" issue, and absolutely is a sign of being bad with money 
    Buying too big a house, having too many or too expensive cars, this is part of the American "living beyond means" issue, and absolutely is a sign of being bad with money 
    Yeah some people just can't stop buying fucking cars...I still drive a 2009 Ford Expedition that has been paid off for about eight years now. I'm in the market for replacing it but no fucking way I'm buying anything now.

Some people just cannot resist.

• F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain Posts: 31,121
    edited October 2023
    Yeah some people just can't stop buying fucking cars...I still drive a 2009 Ford Expedition that has been paid off for about eight years now. I'm in the market for replacing it but no fucking way I'm buying anything now.

Some people just cannot resist.
    I live in a rich area and drive a car I bought, used, for $34k.  It is nice, but a 2018, and not too fancy.  I could afford to buy a Ferrari if I wanted.
    Why in the fuck would I?
    My neighbors all drive fancy cars.
    They can drive them.  I'll save that money.

Biden isn't the root of American stupidity when it comes to money management.  Our greed owns us.
    I'm not missing any point. I never said he bought a house outside his means. I said he has a bigger house than me and more cars, which means he has more liabilities/assets. I never said he couldn't afford them. 

Of course living beyond your means is a sign of being bad with money. 

Look, I'm a fucking accountant. lol. I know how this works. I'm just personally terrible with money cuz I think stuff will make me happy. It's like drugs. It gives me the rush when I hear the mailman come. But beyond that, it's just a weight. Everyone struggles with something. This is my "something". 

www.headstonesband.com

• I love how repubs and those who support them complain about “personal responsibility” when it comes to government benefits like social security, Medicaid, Medicare, Obamacare, housing subsidies or SNAP or any other type of “handout” but just dismiss it and lay the inability of people to live within their means as the fault of dems and a dem presidency. The hypocrisy knows no bounds.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077
    edited October 2023
    Have people tried pulling themselves up by their boot straps? 

I haven't heard that phrase in some time... at least 4 years or so. 

Weird, I know. 
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,269
    mace1229 said:
    Another sign of a hot economy. Mechanics are doing great. I used to be able to call my mechanic and get my truck in for maintenance/repair within 1-2 days. Now it's like 10 days. Their prices have increased because of supply and demand. 

Our economy ebbs and flows. Gas prices will decrease, food costs will decrease....and at the same time our economy will slow down. Then the GOP will scream about that. But again....they offer NO LEGISLATION to fix anything that they complain about.
    Isn't the problem with the car market a shortage of supply, not a surplus of demand because everyone is buying new cars? They cut back on production that created more demand. That's not a hot economy, it's just a shortage in supply that raises prices. 
    That shortage in supply lead to people keeping their car longer, which also increased the cost of used car and maintenance, since, like you said, its a 10 day wait not instead of just 1.
    With that shortage of new cars, the average price for a new car went up by 10k according to KBB.
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    Another sign of a hot economy. Mechanics are doing great. I used to be able to call my mechanic and get my truck in for maintenance/repair within 1-2 days. Now it's like 10 days. Their prices have increased because of supply and demand. 

Our economy ebbs and flows. Gas prices will decrease, food costs will decrease....and at the same time our economy will slow down. Then the GOP will scream about that. But again....they offer NO LEGISLATION to fix anything that they complain about.
    Isn't the problem with the car market a shortage of supply, not a surplus of demand because everyone is buying new cars? They cut back on production that created more demand. That's not a hot economy, it's just a shortage in supply that raises prices. 
    That shortage in supply lead to people keeping their car longer, which also increased the cost of used car and maintenance, since, like you said, its a 10 day wait not instead of just 1.
    With that shortage of new cars, the average price for a new car went up by 10k according to KBB.
    I'm sure that is some of it but it's still a supply/demand issue. But people are still buying the vehicles to get in line. I have at least two clients that bought trucks several months ago that still haven't been delivered. If they waited until now to buy them they would still be nine months out.

Weird, I know. 
    That is only a solution when the GOP is in the White House.

• mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

So, you are saying that the reason people can't afford new cars is in no way the fault of Joe Biden? Glad we can agree there.
  • mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,269
    edited October 2023
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

So, you are saying that the reason people can't afford new cars is in no way the fault of Joe Biden? Glad we can agree there.
    Yes, I think Biden has had little impact on the current economy. 
    I just disagree that this is a hot economy and everything is great financially. Cost is increasing a lot faster than wages and jobs.
  • josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 29,217
    Well Trumpolinni did pass that great tax break package that is supposed to trickle down to middle class has it? 
    When it passed they told us it would rocket the GDP upwards. Now 5 years or so later the same people who voted for the ones who passed the tax cuts are saying the GDP being higher doesn't mean a damn thing.

IRONY!
    MAGA!
    Facts 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077

Weird, I know. 
    That is only a solution when the GOP is in the White House.
    Funny how that works. 
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

Yes, I think Biden has had little impact on the current economy. 
    I just disagree that this is a hot economy and everything is great financially. Cost is increasing a lot faster than wages and jobs.
    The most recent GDP report is reflective of the economy. As is the current unemployment rate. We are a capitalist society so if goods sell at a higher price they will be priced right there. No reason to compete if people are buying it regardless.

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mace1229 said:

That's because us poors can't afford new cars and have to keep getting repairs done until the car literally dies before we can buy again.  A mechanic is cheaper than a new car everything.  And you better be able to get to work with the cost of groceries and rent going up.  
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,715
    mickeyrat said:
    mace1229 said:

happy wife. happy life.
    From my experience you can have money (lots of money) or love, but you can’t have both.  Most of the wealthy I know use the exorbitant amount of “toys” they purchase or excessive work hours as compensation for unhappiness.  Just my opinion.