Pearl Jam playing the battlegorund states?

Was this news that I somehow missed or had forgotten about?

Howard Stern brought it up in his interview with Eddie. 

Was a fall tour in those states announced? Or is this news to everyone, and was it meant to be a more of a VFC affair?
"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"

Comments

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,781
    edited November 2020
    It was already talked about before. They were planning to announce it I'm guessing around the time they were going to do the Stern show.
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    It was already talked about before. They were planning to announce it I'm guessing around the time they were going to do the Stern show.
    Ah okey. Would like to know more about this. If it was a big thing with other bands, or something by themselves... Stern should have delved into it.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • There was another thread about this.  A few weeks ago Sirius XM played shows from states the band had planned to visit this fall.  At minimum there would have been shows in Wisconsin, Pennsylvania, Michigan and Ohio.  And likely several more.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,542
    i seem to recall jeff mentioning St Paul Minnesota as a tour stop they would be on the day he made the comment. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• Just curious and more to play devil's advocate (and speaking as someone who is glad how this election turned out) but how much difference does playing swing states really make? Their audience for an arena show is 15k-25k and many of the folks in attendance already have their minds made up even prior to attending. I get that every vote counts and I applaud them for doing it, but does it really make a difference in the grand scheme of things, especially when such a little portion of the show is dedicated to political banter? I'm sure others will disagree but I think playing a concert doesn't do much in terms of swaying anyone's political opinion. With that in mind, I do greatly applaud them for their other initiatives (social media campaigns, speaking at various virtual town hall style events, putting out some election/voting-centric merch, etc...) which I think make more of an impact on the vote than a show.

• HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,542
    Just curious and more to play devil's advocate (and speaking as someone who is glad how this election turned out) but how much difference does playing swing states really make? Their audience for an arena show is 15k-25k and many of the folks in attendance already have their minds made up even prior to attending. I get that every vote counts and I applaud them for doing it, but does it really make a difference in the grand scheme of things, especially when such a little portion of the show is dedicated to political banter? I'm sure others will disagree but I think playing a concert doesn't do much in terms of swaying anyone's political opinion. With that in mind, I do greatly applaud them for their other initiatives (social media campaigns, speaking at various virtual town hall style events, putting out some election/voting-centric merch, etc...) which I think make more of an impact on the vote than a show.

i doubt it moves the needle in any significant way. they know that most of their audience is the choir. i guess maybe they hope to sway the remaining folk and then maybe that will have a domino effect? not sure. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

• JeBurkhardtJeBurkhardt Posts: 4,709
    Just curious and more to play devil's advocate (and speaking as someone who is glad how this election turned out) but how much difference does playing swing states really make? Their audience for an arena show is 15k-25k and many of the folks in attendance already have their minds made up even prior to attending. I get that every vote counts and I applaud them for doing it, but does it really make a difference in the grand scheme of things, especially when such a little portion of the show is dedicated to political banter? I'm sure others will disagree but I think playing a concert doesn't do much in terms of swaying anyone's political opinion. With that in mind, I do greatly applaud them for their other initiatives (social media campaigns, speaking at various virtual town hall style events, putting out some election/voting-centric merch, etc...) which I think make more of an impact on the vote than a show.

They might not change anybody’s minds about who to vote for, but they partner with voter registration groups to make information on registering available for those who aren’t already registered. 
  • There would have been a large effort to register new voters. Apparently, the Missoula show registered 4,000 new voters with 90% going on to vote in the next election. That’s success, with at least getting the vote out.
  • They certainly made a lot of media appearances (podcasts, radio, etc.) over the last couple of months with the get the vote out message.  A lot more than we normally hear from them.  Who knows what impact that had, and how that compares to any possible impact if there could have been shows, but it probably had some impact. 
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,943
    And it’s not just about Pearl Jam moving the needle... it’s the combined efforts of Pearl Jam and lots of other bands, celebrities, and organizations moving the needle. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    There would have been a large effort to register new voters. Apparently, the Missoula show registered 4,000 new voters with 90% going on to vote in the next election. That’s success, with at least getting the vote out.
    Pretty damn impressive if true.
  • Agreed. Pretty sure I read it from that Times article about PJ and voting.