SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States)

1434445464749»

Comments

• curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,836
    Oh, I am!
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
  • OnWis97OnWis97 Posts: 4,970
    CM189191 said:
    teskeinc said:
    mickeyrat said:
    gift article.....

Biden set to announce support for major Supreme Court changes
    By Tyler Pager and Michael Scherer
    July 16, 2024 at 17:16 ET
    President Biden is finalizing plans to endorse major changes to the Supreme Court in the coming weeks, including proposals for legislation to establish term limits for the justices and an enforceable ethics code, according to two people briefed on the plans.
    He is also weighing whether to call for a constitutional amendment to eliminate broad immunity for presidents and other constitutional officeholders, the people said, speaking on the condition of anonymity to discuss private deliberations.
    The announcement would mark a major shift for Biden, a former chair of the Senate Judiciary Committee, who has long resisted calls to reform the high court. The potential changes come in response to growing outrage among his supporters about recent ethics scandals surrounding Justice Clarence Thomas and decisions by the new court majority that have changed legal precedent on issues including abortion and federal regulatory powers.
    Biden previewed the shift in a Zoom call Saturday with the Congressional Progressive Caucus.

continues.....

what took so long? was he waiting to see how many rights the supreme court could take away before he finally did something?
    Can you list the rights that the Supreme Court has taken away of the “many”. I might have missed some. 

I know they sent abortion to the states so each state could decide but what others?

idk the right to bodily autonomy seems like a pretty big one

now give me your liver, I need it more than you do and will make better use of it

I'm reminded of Andrew Sullivan's infamous, astonishingly tone-deaf "Setting aside the Dobbs decision..." comment. Dobbs is far from a side note for anyone with a uterus.
    Setting aside the chance at death, the weight loss from cancer is pretty great.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,623
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 Posts: 23,028
    i wonder if alito's wife is flying her "LESH GO BARNDON!!" flag at half mast, or upside down today.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    "You Can't Touch This": Challenging the Power of The Supreme Court (with Dahlia Lithwick). Episode: https://www.thebulwark.com/p/you-cant-touch-this-challenging-the . Media: https://api.substack.com/feed/podcast/146998931/e9df3b04c41ba5868ff04d0d0b0aebac.mp3?token=e78cefd6-3934-4f97-a8b1-c007ccd43ee0 . <p>Michael Steele speaks with Dahlia Lithwick, Senior Editor at Slate and host of Slate's Supreme Co... -- Sent from Podcast Republic.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    US Supreme Court's Clarence Thomas took more undisclosed travel funded by billionaire, senator says - https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-supreme-courts-clarence-thomas-took-more-undisclosed-travel-funded-by-2024-08-05/

• Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 38,194
    mickeyrat said:
    US Supreme Court's Clarence Thomas took more undisclosed travel funded by billionaire, senator says - https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us-supreme-courts-clarence-thomas-took-more-undisclosed-travel-funded-by-2024-08-05/
    But if they only knew what RBG took! If only THEY knew!!!!!!
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,314
    mickeyrat said:
    I wish we could just all have some common sense.  Clearly Thomas benefiting from his position, and it is in one of the only roles were it is extremely clear what is right and wrong.  Clearly he doesn't deserve to remain on the court.  His lack of accountability is amazing.  If he were a liberal judge the GOP would wan him gone....if we had people with standards and morals in government, both sides would want him gone.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,405
    mickeyrat said:
    I wish we could just all have some common sense.  Clearly Thomas benefiting from his position, and it is in one of the only roles were it is extremely clear what is right and wrong.  Clearly he doesn't deserve to remain on the court.  His lack of accountability is amazing.  If he were a liberal judge the GOP would wan him gone....if we had people with standards and morals in government, both sides would want him gone.
    agreed...it's a fucking mess. Robert's should be strongly condemning this
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,543
    Thomas is the worst justice to serve in the last 50 years and maybe longer. I don't recall enough specifics from my constitutional law classes to remember other corrupt justices from early 20th and 19th century courts.
    It's a hopeless situation...
    mickeyrat said:

but now, with the bribery ruling by that same body......

at this point, IRS should be involved.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,012
    mickeyrat said:
    Well said. 

Supreme Court’s ‘shadow docket’ returns with a vengeance

By John Fritze and Devan Cole, CNN
    6 minute read
    Updated 4:46 PM EDT, Wed August 21, 2024
    Passing storm clouds are seen over the US Supreme Court on July 30 2024 in Washington DC
    Passing storm clouds are seen over the U.S. Supreme Court on July 30, 2024 in Washington, DC.
    Kevin Dietsch/Getty Images
    CNN  — 

Less than a month ago, Justice Elena Kagan suggested the Supreme Court consider dialing back its review of significant cases on its controversial emergency docket.

“Our summers used to be actually summers,” Kagan told a group of judges in California, lamenting the “relentless” filing of emergency appeals.  “We’ve gotten into a pattern where we’re doing too many of them.”

Since then, the Supreme Court’s emergency caseload has exploded.

In coming days, the high court is expected to tackle short-fuse challenges to President Joe Biden’s latest effort to reduce student debt and to cut planet-warming pollution by limiting power plant emissions. And the court must decide whether Arizona, a presidential battleground, may require thousands of people to prove their US citizenship before voting this year. Also pending is a fight over Biden’s requirement that family planning clinics that receive federal public health funding provide referrals for abortions for patients who request it.

The court’s emergency docket – the “shadow docket,” to critics – is where the justices deal with questions that need resolution faster than the months it can take to submit briefs, hear oral arguments and draft formal opinions on its regular docket.
    The cases usually deal with the narrow question of what will happen as that underlying legal process plays out. But the orders can have significant and immediate real-world consequences.

“There’s just no disputing that this has been a busier summer for emergency applications, both by volume and by significance, than any summer we’ve seen in a long time – if ever,” said Steve Vladeck, a CNN Supreme Court analyst and professor at the Georgetown University Law Center, who says the court is essentially inviting these cases by issuing emergency rulings with more impact.

continues....