Options

SCOTUS (Supreme Court of the United States)

Comments

• Options
    JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    benjs said:
    This is fucking insane....how does Thomas not resign?
    And here I thought John Roberts was so concerned about the optics of the supreme court. If he gave a rat's ass, he'd compel this guy to pack his shit and get out now, or call for an investigation immediately and put him on suspension for the duration.
    Yeah...honestly I don't understand why the media and dems in congress aren't lighting themselves on fire. Imagine if this shit came out about Kagan or Sotomayor
    The media and the dems know that every SCOTUS member has their own baggage. Speaking of Sotomayor, https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/04/politics/sonia-sotomayor-neil-gorsuch-book-recusal-supreme-court-cases/index.html

"Liberal Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who joined the court in 2009 and has been paid millions of dollars from the publisher over the years, declined to recuse herself in all three instances."

I can only imagine there are plenty more stories like this from the SCOTUS but hearsay does not count. It's pretty pathetic that people still believe the stories about Kavanaugh. If you have proof, let's see it. Believing all women is a crock of shit. Funny how those that believe the Kavanaugh accusations don't believe the accusations against Biden. You can't have it both ways. If we have to believe one woman, we have to believe all women. 
    These are public disclosures in plain view.  Thomas was neither declaring them or recusing himself.  You don't see the difference?
    There are no code of ethics for the SCOTUS so there's problem number one. I have no idea why that is but I know it is above my paygrade. 

Yes, I see the difference but that doesn't change the fact that Sotomayor should have recused herself like any judge below SCOTUS would of had to do. 
    First,  yes there are.  These are barred attorneys that follow a very specific code.  Second,  there are federal disclosure requirements and it seems plainly obvious that Thomas violated them.  But it's up to Roberts to enforce them,.  Congress can only censure or Impeach.  The DOJ could file federal charges but that's unlikely. 

Third,  you keep forgetting about Gorsuch in your criticism.  Just a simple oversight?
    All of government is corrupt. Just pile this on top because nothing is going to change. 
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    anyone: (this democrat) is corrupt
    cons: THROW THE BOOK AT THEM! ALL DEMS ARE CORRUPT LIARS!
    anyone: (this conservative) is corrupt
    cons: they're all corrupt! who cares!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,631
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    benjs said:
    And here I thought John Roberts was so concerned about the optics of the supreme court. If he gave a rat's ass, he'd compel this guy to pack his shit and get out now, or call for an investigation immediately and put him on suspension for the duration.
    Yeah...honestly I don't understand why the media and dems in congress aren't lighting themselves on fire. Imagine if this shit came out about Kagan or Sotomayor
    The media and the dems know that every SCOTUS member has their own baggage. Speaking of Sotomayor, https://www.cnn.com/2023/05/04/politics/sonia-sotomayor-neil-gorsuch-book-recusal-supreme-court-cases/index.html

"Liberal Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who joined the court in 2009 and has been paid millions of dollars from the publisher over the years, declined to recuse herself in all three instances."

I can only imagine there are plenty more stories like this from the SCOTUS but hearsay does not count. It's pretty pathetic that people still believe the stories about Kavanaugh. If you have proof, let's see it. Believing all women is a crock of shit. Funny how those that believe the Kavanaugh accusations don't believe the accusations against Biden. You can't have it both ways. If we have to believe one woman, we have to believe all women. 
    These are public disclosures in plain view.  Thomas was neither declaring them or recusing himself.  You don't see the difference?
    There are no code of ethics for the SCOTUS so there's problem number one. I have no idea why that is but I know it is above my paygrade. 

Yes, I see the difference but that doesn't change the fact that Sotomayor should have recused herself like any judge below SCOTUS would of had to do. 
    First,  yes there are.  These are barred attorneys that follow a very specific code.  Second,  there are federal disclosure requirements and it seems plainly obvious that Thomas violated them.  But it's up to Roberts to enforce them,.  Congress can only censure or Impeach.  The DOJ could file federal charges but that's unlikely. 

Third,  you keep forgetting about Gorsuch in your criticism.  Just a simple oversight?
    All of government is corrupt. Just pile this on top because nothing is going to change. 
    Oh okay.  Well there you go.  Nothing to do about it.  I guess other justices have their sposes collecting 80k payments with the note "don't mention Ginnie, if course". Sure. 
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,495
    edited May 2023
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    benjs said:

Classic response. 

Lazy & weak, too. 
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    benjs said:

Classic response. 

Lazy & weak, too. 
    Oh OK, and what are you going to do about it? Sit on a Pearl Jam forum all day and play keyboard warrior with your fellow democrats? 
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    benjs said:

Classic response. 

Lazy & weak, too. 
    Oh OK, and what are you going to do about it? Sit on a Pearl Jam forum all day and play keyboard warrior with your fellow democrats? 
    YO MAMA!
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    benjs said:

Classic response. 

Lazy & weak, too. 
    YO MAMA!
    Yep, exactly. 
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    benjs said:

Classic response. 

Lazy & weak, too. 
    Not a democrat. 

But do go on. 
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    benjs said:

Classic response. 

Lazy & weak, too. 
    YO MAMA!
    Yep, exactly. 
    That was directed at your "what are you going to do about it?" nonsense. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    edited May 2023
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    benjs said:

Classic response. 

Lazy & weak, too. 
    Not a democrat. 

But do go on. 
    Classic response, name calling.

Lazy & weak, too.
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    benjs said:

Classic response. 

Lazy & weak, too. 
    Not a democrat. 

But do go on. 
    Classic response, name calling.

Lazy & weak, too.

You were crying about Hunter the other day, but now all government is corrupt.  :D 

Enjoy your afternoon. 
    Post edited by Kat on
  • Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    benjs said:

Didn’t they vote 9-0 to not be regulated or something like that?  You’re the expert on the law stuff so I figure you know.  Or I can look it up!  I know that’s a thing around here.  
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    benjs said:

Didn’t they vote 9-0 to not be regulated or something like that?  You’re the expert on the law stuff so I figure you know.  Or I can look it up!  I know that’s a thing around here.  
    There are absolutely federal rules and tougher ones just went into effect. The problem is enforcement.  As I said earlier,  it's censure. impeachment and possibly the DOJ but I'm not aware of any justice ever being charged with a crime specific to a federal rule. 
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,779
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,298
    mickeyrat said:
    I can see Robert’s stepping in and proclaiming that Crow doesn’t have too!
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    mickeyrat said:
    Crow wouldn't comply anyway.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    Crow wouldn't comply anyway.
    Legally, he has to on this one.  The first paragraph calls out what the Senate believes to be the legislative purpose of the subpoena.  If Crow tries to fight it, well we have that recent ruling by the court that requires the ex-DA in NYC to testify about the Trump trial.  The right wing court ruled there's a valid legislative purpose to encroach on a state DA.  Considering Crow is not part of any branch of gov't, I can't see his argument not to produce the material.  The question is whether he will provide all the materials.  But it's super risky not to do so.

As part of the Senate Judiciary Committee's ongoing efforts to craft legislation strengthening the ethical rules and standards that apply to the Justices of the Supreme Court, we request that you provide the Committee with certain information by May 22, 2023. This information will help identify specific shortcomings in the “Statement on Ethics Principles and Practices,” as well as current law, that legislation needs to address. Please provide the following information:
  • Options
    edited May 2023
    I guess to be clear, this isn't a subpoena.  But if he doesn't cooperate, I'm sure it will become one. The one problem is that Feinstein needs to be there to get it approved.  Otherwise the committee is split evenly.
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    I guess to be clear, this isn't a subpoena.  But if he doesn't cooperate, I'm sure it will become one. The one problem is that Feinstein needs to be there to get it approved.  Otherwise the committee is split evenly.
    she's back....

_____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,158
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    she's back....

but is she really though?
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    she's back....

but is she really though?

present and able to cast the same votes she did before the shingles....

• Options
    cblock4lifecblock4life Posts: 1,401
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    she's back....

Didn’t anybody else find it a little crazy that you guys were talking about it then she’s back? 
  • Options

COVID emergency orders are among `greatest intrusions on civil liberties,' Justice Gorsuch says
    By Mark Sherman
    Today

WASHINGTON (AP) — The Supreme Court got rid of a pandemic-related immigration case with a single sentence.

Justice Neil Gorsuch had a lot more to say, leveling harsh criticism of how governments, from small towns to the nation's capital, responded to the gravest public health threat in a century.

The justice, a 55-year-old conservative who was President Donald Trump's first Supreme Court nominee, called emergency measures taken during the COVID-19 crisis that killed more than 1 million Americans perhaps “the greatest intrusions on civil liberties in the peacetime history of this country.”

He pointed to orders closing schools, restricting church services, mandating vaccines and prohibiting evictions. His broadside was aimed at local, state and federal officials — even his colleagues.

“Executive officials across the country issued emergency decrees on a breathtaking scale,” Gorsuch wrote in an eight-page statement Thursday that accompanied an expected Supreme Court order formally dismissing a case involving the use of the Title 42 policy to prevent asylum seekers from entering the United States.

The policy was ended last week with the expiration of the public health emergency first declared more than three years ago because of the coronavirus pandemic.

From the start of his Supreme Court tenure in 2017, Gorsuch, a Colorado native who loves to ski and bicycle, has been more willing than most justices to part company with his colleagues, both left and right.

He has mainly voted with the other conservatives in his six years as a justice, joining the majority that overturned Roe v. Wade and expanded gun rights last year.

But he has charted a different course on some issues, writing the court’s 2020 opinion that extended federal protections against workplace discrimination to LGBTQ people. He also has joined with the liberal justices in support of Native American rights.

When the omicron variant surged in late 2021 and early 2022, Gorsuch was the lone justice to appear in the courtroom unmasked even as his seatmate, Justice Sonia Sotomayor, who has diabetes, reportedly did not feel safe in close quarters with people who were not wearing masks.

So Sotomayor, who continues to wear a mask in public, did not take the bench with the other justices in January 2022. The two justices denied reports they were at odds over the issue.

The emergency orders about which Gorsuch complained were first announced in the early days of the pandemic, when Trump was president, and months before the virus was well understood and a vaccine was developed.

The thrust of his complaint is not new. He has written before in individual cases that came to the court during the pandemic, sometimes dissenting from orders that left emergency decrees in place.

The justices intervened in several COVID-related cases.

With Gorsuch and five other conservatives in the majority, they ended the eviction moratorium and blocked a Biden administration plan to require workers at larger companies to be vaccinated or wear a mask and submit to regular testing. Once Amy Coney Barrett joined the court, after Ruth Bader Ginsburg died, they ended restrictions on religious services in some areas.

By a 5-4 vote from which Gorsuch and three conservative colleagues dissented, the court allowed the administration to require many health care workers to be vaccinated.

But on Thursday, Gorsuch gathered his complaints in one place, writing about lessons he hoped might be learned from the past three years.

“One lesson might be this: Fear and the desire for safety are powerful forces. They can lead to a clamor for action —almost any action — as long as someone does something to address a perceived threat. A leader or an expert who claims he can fix everything, if only we do exactly as he says, can prove an irresistible force,” he wrote.

Another possible lesson, he wrote: “The concentration of power in the hands of so few may be efficient and sometimes popular. But it does not tend toward sound government.”

He also had strong words for the Republican-led states that tried to keep the Title 42 policy in place, and the five conservatives justices whose votes extended the policy five months beyond when it would have otherwise ended in late December.

“At the very least, one can hope that the Judiciary will not soon again allow itself to be part of the problem by permitting litigants to manipulate our docket to perpetuate a decree designed for one emergency to address another,” Gorsuch wrote.

In the final paragraph of his statement, Gorsuch acknowledged, but only grudgingly, that emergency orders sometimes are necessary. “Make no mistake — decisive executive action is sometimes necessary and appropriate. But if emergency decrees promise to solve some problems, they threaten to generate others,” he wrote.

• Options
    mickeyrat said:
    mrussel1 said:
    she's back....

Didn’t anybody else find it a little crazy that you guys were talking about it then she’s back? 
    She looks awful. Time to pack it in. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 39,015
    Nobody is talking about the dems wanting to expand the Supreme courts to 9?

They want to move the goal posts.  Stop.  It will screw up in the end anyways.

They’ll scream to change it for their favor then cry again when it backfires.
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114
    edited May 2023

So? That’s better than the current system. Let them keep increasing the justice count until it forces them to reach a compromise for amending the constitution. That will improve the court by lessening the impact one extremist president can havoc onto our laws. The constitution has no limit on justice appointments for this exact reason, and it’s the only real remedy that currently exists politically 

The current court is a joke, but since it has the customary nine justices, enough believe it’s a reasonable court. Let’s hope not too many women needing mifepristone for managed miscarriages don’t die as a potential result of this extremist court. Already the appeals court seems inclined to support the potential ban.

Post edited by Lerxst1992 on
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605

Maybe because it’s already at 9?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,114

cmon, it currently could have meant to be read as from 9.
  • Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,605

cmon, it currently could have meant to be read as from 9.
    Check with the original poster. Who really knows?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options

its not the first time it would expand. Or contract. There is no  constitutionally set number for the court.