GOP

Comments

• Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,536
    edited November 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/27/business/leon-cooperman-students-israel-protests/index.html

Hedge fund billionaire Leon Cooperman is blasting college students for protesting against Israel, joining a growing list of powerful university donors to speak out on the issue.

“These kids in college have sh*t for brains,” Cooperman told CNN in a phone interview.

We need to ban college.  Every student should be jailed.  Then we can finally ban kids. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/01/us/cornell-university-antisemitic-threats-thursday/index.html

Hey I get the sarcasm, but we literally have “liberal” college students at Cornell this week chanting in support of ethic cleansing by citing the River to sea song. Are we going to state they don’t understand what they are singing for? If so, yes they should be banned.

no race or group of people has been ethnically cleansed more than the Israelis and Jews. Yet you read this forum, and there is only crying about a direct retaliation to a 9/11 level attack on Israel. Why is this country treated differently ? Why is it ok to sing about ethnic cleaning against Israel - that is clear in the first few seconds of the video attached to that news article? Why are no liberals here demanding Hamas surrender?

it’s sad that I need to stand with our conservative posters. Yes we should ban the college kids who are learning this hatred from somewhere.

JB is 100% correct. Either the students are singing in support of ethnic cleansing, or they have $hit for brains. Which is it?
    BTW - I don't totally agree with your positioning of River to Sea to be an ethnic cleansing song.  That song has been in use for generations, even before Hamas and others adopted it.  It can viewed a number of ways, as a Free Palestine, Single state solution, or in worse cases, the removal of Jews.  And then finally, your adoption which is ethnic cleansing.  So to be clear, I don't believe for one fucking second that every student that supports Palestine at these rallies is pro-genocide.  That's absurd.  

it’s not my positioning, its a well known, controversial slogan that at best is at odds with peace. I am only referring about those students singing a song of fucking hatred. And two of your three interpretations apparently imply the removal of Israelis, so if that's not cleansing, if you think it’s absurd, where are they going to live, if not between the river and the sea?

Glad the liberals are so woke.  

• static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:
    https://www.cnn.com/2023/10/27/business/leon-cooperman-students-israel-protests/index.html

Hedge fund billionaire Leon Cooperman is blasting college students for protesting against Israel, joining a growing list of powerful university donors to speak out on the issue.

“These kids in college have sh*t for brains,” Cooperman told CNN in a phone interview.

We need to ban college.  Every student should be jailed.  Then we can finally ban kids. 

https://www.cnn.com/2023/11/01/us/cornell-university-antisemitic-threats-thursday/index.html

Hey I get the sarcasm, but we literally have “liberal” college students at Cornell this week chanting in support of ethic cleansing by citing the River to sea song. Are we going to state they don’t understand what they are singing for? If so, yes they should be banned.

no race or group of people has been ethnically cleansed more than the Israelis and Jews. Yet you read this forum, and there is only crying about a direct retaliation to a 9/11 level attack on Israel. Why is this country treated differently ? Why is it ok to sing about ethnic cleaning against Israel - that is clear in the first few seconds of the video attached to that news article? Why are no liberals here demanding Hamas surrender?

it’s sad that I need to stand with our conservative posters. Yes we should ban the college kids who are learning this hatred from somewhere.

JB is 100% correct. Either the students are singing in support of ethnic cleansing, or they have $hit for brains. Which is it?
    BTW - I don't totally agree with your positioning of River to Sea to be an ethnic cleansing song.  That song has been in use for generations, even before Hamas and others adopted it.  It can viewed a number of ways, as a Free Palestine, Single state solution, or in worse cases, the removal of Jews.  And then finally, your adoption which is ethnic cleansing.  So to be clear, I don't believe for one fucking second that every student that supports Palestine at these rallies is pro-genocide.  That's absurd.  

it’s not my positioning, its a well known, controversial slogan that at best is at odds with peace. I am only referring about those students singing a song of fucking hatred. And two of your three interpretations apparently imply the removal of Israelis, so if that's not cleansing, if you think it’s absurd, where are they going to live, if not between the river and the sea?

If Gaza is good enough for Palestinians it is certainly good enough for Israelis.  Maybe they just need to spend a few years living in each others shoes?  Swap living conditions and then come to the table in good faith.  I'm sure both sides could learn a lot.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 29,404
    edited November 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

I don't think you know what ethnic cleansing means.  For example, in the 19th century,  there was a serious movement to relocate Africans to Liberia.  Under your definition,  it appears you think that's cleansing.  It's not.  What Milosevic tried is cleansing.  Don't call me woke because you either misunderstand or choose not to understand differences in words. 
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

No mention of how or what Israeli children are taught about Palestinians and Palestine in public schools in Israel? No mention of the songs the orthodox sing? When you criticize Israel for its past and current atrocities, I’ll take your posts more seriously but your refusal to acknowledge that it takes two to tango is telling.

Where would Israel be without the $3B+ of economic aid and another $2B-3B in military aid from US taxpayers? Do you ever wonder how quickly they might come to the negotiating table if it were pulled? Conversely, what if the US invested the same in Palestine and created a level playing field? Think things might be different?
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

I don't think you know what ethnic cleansing means.  For example, in the 19th century,  there was a serious movement to relocate Africans to Liberia.  Under your definition,  it appears you think that's cleansing.  It's not.  What Milosevic tried is cleansing.  Don't call me woke because you either misunderstand or choose not to understand differences in words. 
    Woke was a comment at the liberal side of the forum, to no one in specific. I should have been more specific 

Yes,I used the term cleansing loosely, because of the history of the Jews in WWII as well as their fate against the Romans. And the history of the world clearly not accepting these people anywhere is well documented,  so I think that thought process is well justified in this case, as relocation anywhere other than Israel has been impossible

However, back to the main point, to see wealthy college students barely old enough to shave singing the current chants inspired by Hamas was horrifying, whether or not prior generations claim to have some sort of more benevolent inspiration for that jingle. 

If Israelis believe that song is about the entire destruction of their homeland, is it not horrifying seeing crowds of rich American kids chant it? That’s the woke angle, and it’s directed at all the liberals here. No one was outraged here Oct seven, and no one was outraged to hear wealthy college kids sing that offensive song. DEI supposedly tells us to consider how words are interpreted, except in one case in the far left world.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

Woke was a comment at the liberal side of the forum, to no one in specific. I should have been more specific 

Yes,I used the term cleansing loosely, because of the history of the Jews in WWII as well as their fate against the Romans. And the history of the world clearly not accepting these people anywhere is well documented,  so I think that thought process is well justified in this case, as relocation anywhere other than Israel has been impossible

However, back to the main point, to see wealthy college students barely old enough to shave singing the current chants inspired by Hamas was horrifying, whether or not prior generations claim to have some sort of more benevolent inspiration for that jingle. 

If Israelis believe that song is about the entire destruction of their homeland, is it not horrifying seeing crowds of rich American kids chant it? That’s the woke angle, and it’s directed at all the liberals here. No one was outraged here Oct seven, and no one was outraged to hear wealthy college kids sing that offensive song. DEI supposedly tells us to consider how words are interpreted, except in one case in the far left world.

It's hard to be outraged in a world full of terrorism and especially in the US domestic Terrorism and multiple mass shootings weekly.

Taking the long view of the Israel/Palestine conflict, it is hard to get outraged over anything, because it's been going on so long.  Any strike by any Palestinian group that takes the lives of civilians is labelled terrorism and any strike by the IDF that takes the lives of civilians is labeled as defense.

Nobody likes what happened on October 7th, nobody likes Israels disproportionate response against Palestinian civilians.  

I understand that the express goal that day by Hamas was killing civilians or otherwise.  However Israel has killed civilians by 10:1 at least since Oct 7 and I don't see that making Israelis, or Palestinians or anyone in the region safer.
    Scio me nihil scire

• mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

I have found through my own experience of seeing things online that this is where the conversation ultimately goes to in a nano-second. any time you say anything about being supportive of Palestinians the knee jerk from many is "ANTISEMITE!". that's what makes these conversations so impossible. I can be pro-Palestine and anti-Israeli government and be pro-Jewish all at the same time. But some are so hell bent on being the victim. MSM is not helping at ALL. 
    don't forget that if you say you support palestinians, people will say you support hamas, and are thus an anti semite, which is not the case. i got called an anti semite on here because i said i hated netenyahu and the likud party platform when they sunk that palestinian flotilla back in 2010 or 2011. you can be pro-palestinian and pro israel, and at the same time be anti likud party and anti hamas. 
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

I have found through my own experience of seeing things online that this is where the conversation ultimately goes to in a nano-second. any time you say anything about being supportive of Palestinians the knee jerk from many is "ANTISEMITE!". that's what makes these conversations so impossible. I can be pro-Palestine and anti-Israeli government and be pro-Jewish all at the same time. But some are so hell bent on being the victim. MSM is not helping at ALL. 
    don't forget that if you say you support palestinians, people will say you support hamas, and are thus an anti semite, which is not the case. i got called an anti semite on here because i said i hated netenyahu and the likud party platform when they sunk that palestinian flotilla back in 2010 or 2011. you can be pro-palestinian and pro israel, and at the same time be anti likud party and anti hamas. 
    it is the same thing as being pro america but anti maga.
    "You can tell the greatness of a man by what makes him angry."  - Lincoln

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

Well the last admonishment on words here is interesting, as you didn't consider the proper definition of ethnic cleansing.   Removal from a land is not cleansing.  Using a term like ethnic cleansing "loosely" is irresponsible.   Let's also be clear that I support the right of Israel to exist, peacefully.  

So back to the point, I again think you are misrepresenting the song.  It's not a Hamas inspired song.  I'm pretty sure this song existed as a Palestinian freedom song well before the advent of Hamas.  You can check me on that.  I do know that Hamas was formed in the late 80s.  So if that's true, then I don't know how you say that it's Hamas-inspired.  Therefore, because the song is used in many ways, to conclude that these college kids think Jews should be murdered en masse because they sing that song, is a HUGE jump and now you are claiming to understand what every one of these kids both think and believe.  And sorry, you can't do that.  
  • Go BeaversGo Beavers Posts: 8,962
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

Being the gatekeeper of outrage doesn’t put a person above anyone else. 
  • HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 36,553
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

no one was outraged here on Oct 7? WUT I was glued to the media that day and several days after. I finally had to stop trusting people weren't posting videos of dead children. 
    new album "Cigarettes" out Fall 2024!

www.headstonesband.com

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

the meaning of the song is debatable. many believe it to be simply about Palestinian freedom, or a one state solution of all living side by side, or a two state solution. some believe, yes, it is about the exterminations of the Jewish people. 

why is it that Israelis get to determine the intent of some college students in the US, or anyone else anywhere else? people are rightly horrified at the actions of the Israeli government in the past two weeks. It's abhorrent. 

it could be argued we should be equally disgusted that your biggest offering to children being blown to smithereens is "war is ugly". 

www.headstonesband.com

• mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,871
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14

Mayor Pete is just so incredibly gracious, well thought, amazing speaker. I hope he runs for Prez one day. He'd be amazing at it. 

www.headstonesband.com

• brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    Mayor Pete is just so incredibly gracious, well thought, amazing speaker. I hope he runs for Prez one day. He'd be amazing at it. 

Agreed!
    And MAGA Mike can go to hell.  He's the worst thing to happen to U.S. government since 45.
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

Well the last admonishment on words here is interesting, as you didn't consider the proper definition of ethnic cleansing.   Removal from a land is not cleansing.  Using a term like ethnic cleansing "loosely" is irresponsible.   Let's also be clear that I support the right of Israel to exist, peacefully.  

So back to the point, I again think you are misrepresenting the song.  It's not a Hamas inspired song.  I'm pretty sure this song existed as a Palestinian freedom song well before the advent of Hamas.  You can check me on that.  I do know that Hamas was formed in the late 80s.  So if that's true, then I don't know how you say that it's Hamas-inspired.  Therefore, because the song is used in many ways, to conclude that these college kids think Jews should be murdered en masse because they sing that song, is a HUGE jump and now you are claiming to understand what every one of these kids both think and believe.  And sorry, you can't do that.  

wiki is not perfect, but does provide facts supporting both contentions. I brought up “woke” because college students can be thought of as major supporters of woke values. I am not using woke like republicans do, I am pointing out the student  demo usually cares about emotions or feelings, how words are perceived by victims…well except in the case of one group of people apparently. 

2% of the population, 40% of the hate crimes. I think BLM might be jealous.

My point is, if students are publicly protesting, it is their responsibility to understand the words they utter and woke values tells us to consider how our words are received

The short answer from the original point back when JB kicked this off, is probably the kids have $hit for brains (and don’t realize how evil their words are received by the Israeli people), because they have no idea what they are chanting about, and their parents are wasting $100k a year on their $hitty education.

From the river to the sea" (Arabic: من النهر إلى البحر, romanizedmin an-nahr ’ilā l-baḥr) is a political slogan associated with Palestinian nationalism. The slogan refers geographically to the area between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea, which includes the State of Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza Strip.[1][2]

The slogan has been employed by political groups since the 1960s to advocate for Palestinian liberation, with origins in the Palestinian National Council's initial charters, which demand a Palestinian state geographically encompassing all of historic Palestine. The slogan's meaning is contentious. Some construe it as a call for the dismantling of the Jewish state. Conversely, the slogan may be interpreted as advocating for a democratic state of Palestine encompassing what is today Israel and the Palestinian territories, where individuals of all religions would have equal citizenship.[1][3][4]

The slogan has been used by militant groups including Hamasand Islamic Jihad that have vowed to destroy Israel. It is regarded by the ADL as antisemitic or hate speech suggesting that it denies the right of Jews for self-determination, or advocates for their removal or extermination.

• Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 11,077
    edited November 2023
    I like Pete, and would vote for him in a heartbeat. Unfortunately, I can't envision any scenario where America elects a gay president, at least not anytime soon. 

An African American president broke the GOP, what do you think a gay president would to do them? 
  • Of course you and the ADL will ignore this part because Israel isn’t going to “share.” Because Israelis don’t view Palestinians as “equals.”

Conversely, the slogan may be interpreted as advocating for a democratic state of Palestine encompassing what is today Israel and the Palestinian territories, where individuals of all religions would have equal citizenship.[1][3][4]
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN; 05/04/2024 & 05/06/2024, Vancouver, BC; 05/10/2024, Portland, OR;

Brilliantati©
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,692
    River to See is one of those songs that is too vague and open to interpretation.  Maybe a better choice of songs for students to sing would be...

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

edited November 2023
    so you're attributing an entire "ideology" (woke) to 100% of a fairly large group of people (university students) in order to tell them how they should conduct themselves (don't sing songs that I might find offensive, even though the meaning of that song is widely disputed). 

huh

www.headstonesband.com

so you're attributing an entire "ideology" (woke) to 100% of a fairly large group of people (university students) in order to tell them how they should conduct themselves (don't sing songs that I might find offensive, even though the meaning of that song is widely disputed). 

huh
    and apparently if they have any support towards the Palestinian people they are $hit for brains and receiving a $hitty education. eyeroll
    Scio me nihil scire

• Ladies and gentlemen, your repub party in congress. And it’s all the dems’ fault. But boy are the knives coming out, yo! It’s like a junior high gym class except with more drama. MEOW! WOOF-WOOF!

The People’s House is back in business — and crazier than ever

So you thought the election of a new speaker might calm the chaos and fratricide among House Republicans?

Oh, my sweet summer child.

This week, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) forced a vote in the House on censuring Rep. Rashida Tlaib (D-Mich.) on accusations of being antisemitic. It was funny enough that Congresswoman Jewish Space Lasers herself was accusing somebody else of being antisemitic. But her censure resolution was so over the top — it accused Tlaib of “leading an insurrection” — that 23 Republicansjoined all Democrats in tabling it.

After the vote, Rep. Chip Roy (R-Tex.) said via X, formerly Twitter, that the censure resolution “was deeply flawed and made legally and factually unverified claims, including the claim of leading an ‘insurrection’.”

Greene shot back on social media: “You voted to kick me out of the freedom caucus, but keep CNN wannabe Ken Buck and vaping groping Lauren Boebert and you voted with the Democrats to protect Terrorist Tlaib.”

To unpack this Greene crazy: Rep. Ken Buck (R-Colo.) has criticized fellow Republicans’ plan to impeach President Biden without any evidence, and Rep. Lauren Boebert (R-Colo.) was kicked out of a Denver performance of the musical “Beetlejuice” with her date after causing a disturbance that involved both vaping and groping.

Asked about this accusation from Greene, Roy told the Hill’s Mychael Schnell: “Tell her to go chase so-called Jewish space lasers if she wants to spend time on that sort of thing.”

To this, Greene replied with a new post: “Oh shut up Colonel Sanders, you’re not even from Texas, more like the DMV.” Roy, who grew up in Northern Virginia, has a white goatee not unlike the whiskers on the chin of the late founder of Kentucky Fried Chicken.

Ladies and gentlemen, the People’s House is back in business.

In the nine days since Republicans pulled Mike Johnson from the back benches, the new speaker has presided over a second failed attempt to expel indicted Rep. George Santos (R-N.Y.), the introduction of not one but two resolutions to censure Tlaib, and a resolution to censure Rep. Jamaal Bowman (D-N.Y.) for pulling a fire alarm during a vote. Johnson managed to turn an area of near-unanimous support into a partisan brouhaha by making funds to help Israel defend itself against Hamas contingent on a provision making it easier for the wealthy to cheat on their taxes. With just two weeks to go until the federal government runs out of funding, Johnson is floating a cockamamie “laddered” approach that would replace the looming shutdown threat with 12 new shutdown threats.

If this is the new speaker’s idea of a functioning House, maybe having the House speakerless and inoperative for 22 days wasn’t so bad after all.

The internecine feuding in the GOP resumed immediately after Johnson’s elevation. Ways and Means Committee Chairman Jason T. Smith (Mo.) publicly blasted Rep. Matt Gaetz (Fla.) for causing the crisis by filing the motion to oust Speaker Kevin McCarthy (Calif.). Gaetz responded — by, some speculated, insinuating on social media that Smith is gay. Smith “called me a liar,” Gaetz wrote. “It’s a somewhat predictable projection. Because he lives a lie every day.” Gaetz declined to elaborate.

Oversight Committee Chairman James Comer (R-Ky.) stepped up his efforts to impeach Biden with the panel’s announcement that “Joe Biden received $40,000 in laundered China money.” Bank records indicate it was actually repayment of a loan Biden made to his brother when the current president was a private citizen.

Comer’s wild allegations keep crumbling upon scrutiny, which might explain why he said of his impeachment inquiry: “I don’t know that I want to hold any more hearings, to be honest with you.” He prefers closed-door depositions, which he can selectively leak to create false impressions.

Buck pointed to his colleagues’ allergy to facts when he announced this week that he was retiring from Congress. “Too many Republican leaders are lying to America, claiming that the 2020 election was stolen, describing January 6 as an unguided tour of the Capitol and asserting that the ensuing prosecutions are a weaponization of our justice system,” Buck said in a video explaining why he was quitting. Of these “self-serving lies,” he continued: “These insidious narratives breed widespread cynicism and erode Americans’ confidence in the rule of law. It is impossible for the Republican Party to confront our problems and offer a course correction for the future while being obsessively fixated on retribution and vengeance for contrived injustices of the past.”

Johnson’s response to all this: more self-serving lies. In his first interview as speaker, he told Fox News’s Sean Hannity that “it looks and smells a lot like” Biden received bribes. He also said Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas had “committed impeachable offenses” and agreed with Hannity that Biden has experienced “cognitive decline.” (At a subsequent news conference, Johnson maintained that the impeachment inquiry, which Comer and others are using as a fundraising tool, is “outside the scope of politics.”)

“People are curious. What does Mike Johnson think about any issue under the sun?” Johnson said to Hannity. “Well, go pick up a Bible off your shelf and read it. That’s my worldview.”

What about the bit about bearing false witness, Mr. Speaker?

Johnson was caught in another whopper by the nonpartisan Congressional Budget Office this week. Republicans claimed that their bill offering $14.5 billion in aid to Israel was “offset” by cutting the same amount from the IRS. But the CBO forecast that the cuts to the IRS would actually cost the federal government an additional $12.5 billion — as reduced enforcement makes it easier for people to cheat on their taxes.

“Only in Washington when you cut spending do they call it an increase in the deficit,” Johnson respondedto the CBO.

Only in Louisiana, apparently, do they think that if you stop collecting taxes, your tax receipts will increase.

Johnson has continued moving spending bills through the House along party lines, at levels that violate the bipartisan budget dealenacted this year. In the Senate, by contrast, a package of spending bills passed this week on a broadly bipartisan vote of 82-15. Sen. Patty Murray (D-Wash.), chairwoman of the Senate Appropriations Committee, admonished her House counterparts “to get serious about governing, get back to the spending agreement they negotiated, and work with us to finalize bipartisan bills.”

But that isn’t going to happen. The House “chaos caucus,” which ousted McCarthy and turned the lights out in the chamber for 22 days, has found its man. Johnson is well on his way to being a chaos speaker.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/2023/11/03/mike-johnson-first-full-week-house-gop-speaker/

Brilliantati©
    edited November 2023
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

wiki is not perfect, but does provide facts supporting both contentions. I brought up “woke” because college students can be thought of as major supporters of woke values. I am not using woke like republicans do, I am pointing out the student  demo usually cares about emotions or feelings, how words are perceived by victims…well except in the case of one group of people apparently. 

My point is, if students are publicly protesting, it is their responsibility to understand the words they utter and woke values tells us to consider how our words are received

The short answer from the original point back when JB kicked this off, is probably the kids have $hit for brains (and don’t realize how evil their words are received by the Israeli people), because they have no idea what they are chanting about, and their parents are wasting $100k a year on their $hitty education.

From the river to the sea" (Arabic: من النهر إلى البحر, romanizedmin an-nahr ’ilā l-baḥr) is a political slogan associated with Palestinian nationalism. The slogan refers geographically to the area between the Jordan River and the Mediterranean Sea, which includes the State of Israel, the West Bank, and Gaza Strip.[1][2]

The slogan has been employed by political groups since the 1960s to advocate for Palestinian liberation, with origins in the Palestinian National Council's initial charters, which demand a Palestinian state geographically encompassing all of historic Palestine. The slogan's meaning is contentious. Some construe it as a call for the dismantling of the Jewish state. Conversely, the slogan may be interpreted as advocating for a democratic state of Palestine encompassing what is today Israel and the Palestinian territories, where individuals of all religions would have equal citizenship.[1][3][4]

The slogan has been used by militant groups including Hamasand Islamic Jihad that have vowed to destroy Israel. It is regarded by the ADL as antisemitic or hate speech suggesting that it denies the right of Jews for self-determination, or advocates for their removal or extermination.

So let's get back to the pejorative of "shit for brains".  That's what I have a real problem with in this whole conversation.  I think using a statement like that is ridiculous and lazy.  That's why I have picked this fight.  I think that many, maybe even most of these students do not understand the whole history of the Jews, or the Palestinians for that matter.  But most of them grew up in an era of right wing Likud gov't and it's very easy to see them as the bad guy.  And in many cases, they have been.  That doesn't excuse Hamas and they are clearly worse, without question.  But kids are just that.  Kids.  They aren't "shit for brains".  They shouldn't be banned and they shouldn't demonized and assumed that every one of them that sings this ambiguous song thinks that Jews should be wiped off the Earth.  That's what is absurd.  

So my experience with you as that you are a smart, measured poster.  Signing on to the bullshit rhetoric from posters like JB who use extreme terms without regard for the meaning or ramifications does you a disservice.  Take that for what it is.  I appreciate the passion you have for Israel.  I feel the same for Ukraine.  But that's a much simpler situation and easier to identify what is right and wrong, morally.  

Also, your comment about the 100k education.  I bet very, very few of these protesters has any formal education or classes in Middle Eastern politics.  It's not going to be part of core curriculum.  So anyone that has studied it is likely on a history track or something similar.  In other words, a distinct minority.  Their understanding is not coming from the education side of the university.  That's just my opinion, having sent two kids through college recently (including one that is a history major). 
    Post edited by mrussel1 on
  • JB16057JB16057 Posts: 1,269
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

So let's get back to the pejorative of "shit for brains".  That's what I have a real problem with in this whole conversation.  I think using a statement like that is ridiculous and lazy.  That's why I have picked this fight.  I think that many, maybe even most of these students do not understand the whole history of the Jews, or the Palestinians for that matter.  But most of them grew up in an era of right wing Likud gov't and it's very easy to see them as the bad guy.  And in many cases, they have been.  That doesn't excuse Hamas and they are clearly worse, without question.  But kids are just that.  Kids.  They aren't "shit for brains".  They shouldn't be banned and they shouldn't demonized and assumed that every one of them that sings this ambiguous song thinks that Jews should be wiped off the Earth.  That's what is absurd.  

So my experience with you as that you are a smart, measured poster.  Signing on to the bullshit rhetoric from posters like JB who use extreme terms without regard for the meaning or ramifications does you a disservice.  Take that for what it is.  I appreciate the passion you have for Israel.  I feel the same for Ukraine.  But that's a much simpler situation and easier to identify what is right and wrong, morally.  

Also, your comment about the 100k education.  I bet very, very few of these protesters has any formal education or classes in Middle Eastern politics.  It's not going to be part of core curriculum.  So anyone that has studied it is likely on a history track or something similar.  In other words, a distinct minority.  Their understanding is not coming from the education side of the university.  That's just my opinion, having sent two kids through college recently (including one that is a history major). 
    I was quoting what Leon Cooperman said. I never gave my opinion on this and you are incorrectly citing that it was my quote. 
    static111 said:

huh
    and apparently if they have any support towards the Palestinian people they are $hit for brains and receiving a $hitty education. eyeroll

The point was how the meaning is interpreted by the people living there, which is not in dispute. Thanks for paying attention.
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

I was quoting what Leon Cooperman said. I never gave my opinion on this and you are incorrectly citing that it was my quote. 

If the “kids” don’t get how their words are interpreted to whom they are singing to…They. Don’t. Belong. In. The. Ivy. League.

Maybe not “demonize” them as MR says I did, but since they are stepping in $hit without basic knowledge, they are open to attack. Plus, they want to speak as adults, and have a voice on a complex issue, let’s treat them as adults, not kids.

and again, if the original aggressors in this conflict assign specific meaning to the song, and their adversaries view it as “ advocates for their removal or extermination” per Wikipedia, let’s assign some responsibility to these kids, or take away their free ride in life their parents are likely providing them.
    And MR, when I mentioned cleansing/genocide, I am specifically referring the the comments in the original video I linked from the scared young woman named Zoe who specifically discusses this exact point. Not sure if you or any of the others (who indirectly without quote attacked this point a few comments above) who refuse to believe this point bothered to watch her speak.
    JB16057 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:
    JB16057 said:

If the “kids” don’t get how their words are interpreted to whom they are singing to…They. Don’t. Belong. In. The. Ivy. League.

Maybe not “demonize” them as MR says I did, but since they are stepping in $hit without basic knowledge, they are open to attack. Plus, they want to speak as adults, and have a voice on a complex issue, let’s treat them as adults, not kids.

and again, if the original aggressors in this conflict assign specific meaning to the song, and their adversaries view it as “ advocates for their removal or extermination” per Wikipedia, let’s assign some responsibility to these kids, or take away their free ride in life their parents are likely providing them.
    Sorry, I think that's a bullshit argument, in regards to the song.  If there are four different levels of interpretation, you are taking the most radical one and applying it to them as a whole.  But sure, you should take away their free ride from their parents, whatever that means.