Options

GOP

Comments

• Options
    Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Your Mom's Posts: 17,991
    Maybe we'll get lucky and the Jan 6 charges will prevent him from running
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Chicago; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,948
    mrussel1 said:
    So pardon ha! Then why go through the song & dance of investigation’s if all the comes of it is pardons for everyone! Then we are truly fucked if this country has to tip toe around the court yard bully.
    Why investigate?  Because the indictment was important.  Thiessen is right, the special counsel could release a full report on situation laying out in detail what happened.  Make a deal with teh senate to do a full oversight hearing, televise it, hammer him.  It could do more than the trial. 

Plus, you all assume that a guilty verdict is coming.  We don't know that.  You only need one juror to blow it up.  That's not a high bar.  A Grand Jury only needs a majority to indict.  

Then as with the whole process, let it play out. Talk of pardon is a tad bit early no?

But if/when found guilty there HAS to be penalty/sanction. Otherwise its all bullshit. Our constitution and its laws either matter or they dont. It IS that simple.
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    gimmesometruth27gimmesometruth27 St. Fuckin Louis Posts: 22,182
    if trump agrees to never run for office again in exchange for a pardon, he will run for the presidency again. nobody can stop him. it's a free country. 

last i heard pardons are not conditional, just an admission of guilt.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

"Well, you tell him that I don't talk to suckas."
  • Options
    if he gave my his word to never run again, i would be a damed fool to believe him. 

fuck that.
    There is nothing noble in being superior to your fellow man; true nobility is being superior to your former self.- Hemingway

• Options
    Halifax2TheMaxHalifax2TheMax Posts: 36,688
    mrussel1 said:
    So pardon ha! Then why go through the song & dance of investigation’s if all the comes of it is pardons for everyone! Then we are truly fucked if this country has to tip toe around the court yard bully.
    Why investigate?  Because the indictment was important.  Thiessen is right, the special counsel could release a full report on situation laying out in detail what happened.  Make a deal with teh senate to do a full oversight hearing, televise it, hammer him.  It could do more than the trial. 

Plus, you all assume that a guilty verdict is coming.  We don't know that.  You only need one juror to blow it up.  That's not a high bar.  A Grand Jury only needs a majority to indict.  
    When I have more time to expound on my thoughts, I’ll ask these questions:

What did we get from the senate watergate committee and Ford’s pardon of Tricky Dick?

What did we get from the Iran-Contra hearings and subsequent pardons?

What did we get from the Whitewater special prosecutor investigation and what did it lead to?

What did we get from the Iraq War origin hearings and the subsequent pardon of Scooter Libby?

What did we get from the Benghazi hearings?

What did we get from the 1/6 hearings, a mature, adults in the room, true investigation and accounting for the ‘Murican people?

Put POOTWH on trial, make him appear in court and televise the trial from start to finish. Then, whether POOTWH is found guilty or not, let the ‘Murican people decide whether he’s the repub nominee and POTUS. Then those who elected him own where the nation ends up. This is not on the dems to clean up or to try and avoid in the interest of bipartisanship.
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Libtardaplorable©. And proud of it.

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,702
    mickeyrat said:
    He has to do this because the "Freedom" caucus is holding up all business in congress right now.  So he's throwing a bone.  He will prove to be an exceptionally weak leader. They all will because they let the circus run the show. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

What did we get from the senate watergate committee and Ford’s pardon of Tricky Dick?

What did we get from the Whitewater special prosecutor investigation and what did it lead to?

What did we get from the Iraq War origin hearings and the subsequent pardon of Scooter Libby?

What did we get from the 1/6 hearings, a mature, adults in the room, true investigation and accounting for the ‘Murican people?

Put POOTWH on trial, make him appear in court and televise the trial from start to finish. Then, whether POOTWH is found guilty or not, let the ‘Murican people decide whether he’s the repub nominee and POTUS. Then those who elected him own where the nation ends up. This is not on the dems to clean up or to try and avoid in the interest of bipartisanship.
    I would argue that there has been very few Watergate Hotel break-ins since Nixon's pardon.  If you are trying to draw a line from Watergate to today's dysfunction, I would argue against that.  There's no direct line.  We returned to political normalcy for 20+ years.  Everything changed with Newt and Rush.  I will also argue the advent of 24 hour news, but that's a little bit of a reach. 
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I would argue that there has been very few Watergate Hotel break-ins since Nixon's pardon.  If you are trying to draw a line from Watergate to today's dysfunction, I would argue against that.  There's no direct line.  We returned to political normalcy for 20+ years.  Everything changed with Newt and Rush.  I will also argue the advent of 24 hour news, but that's a little bit of a reach. 
    we should not downplay the effect of operatives like the white house plumbers and roger stone. especially stone who was involved with the watergate people and was coincidentally or not so, involved in the maga movement and 1/6.

maybe if someone had paid a price back then instead of gotten a pardon, then maybe things might be different today. these people are emboldened because there is never any real consequence or accountability. 

• Options
    add to the above, these people feel that they can get away with big crimes, get a long sentence, do a year or 3 in prison, and then get a pardon. it is fucking bullshit how non violent drug offenders serve more time than people involved with ratfucking the entire government.

• Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

we should not downplay the effect of operatives like the white house plumbers and roger stone. especially stone who was involved with the watergate people and was coincidentally or not so, involved in the maga movement and 1/6.

maybe if someone had paid a price back then instead of gotten a pardon, then maybe things might be different today. these people are emboldened because there is never any real consequence or accountability. 
    Those dudes are followers, not leaders.  I am not worried about Stone in the least.  I really don't think that Stone got involved with Trump because Nixon was pardoned.  
  • Options

2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,164
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

Great, now look who’s getting blamed.

• Options
    You're goddammed right we blame him for forcing Dave and Taylor into Kimonos. 

• Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,570
    Borrowed from twitter... 

A woman in a hot-air balloon was lost, so she shouted to a man below, "Excuse me. I promised a friend I would meet him, but I don't know 
    where I am.”

"You're at 31 degrees, 14.57 minutes north latitude and 100 degrees, 49.09 minutes west longitude," he replied.

"You must be a Democrat,” the woman shouted back. 

"I am. How did you know?"
    said the man.

"Because everything you told me is technically correct, but the information is useless, and I'm
    still lost. Frankly, you've been no help,” the woman replied.

"You must be a Republican,” answered the man.

"Yes. How did you know?" she said.

“Because,” the man replied, “you’ve risen to where you are due to a lot of hot air, you made a promise you couldn't keep and you expect me to
    solve your problem. You're in exactly the same position you were in before we met but somehow now it’s my fault.”
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:
    mrussel1 said:

I am drawing a line through those events and lack of consequences to what is occurring today. While not a straight line, certainly an arc of history. Whether it’s a vertical or inverted arc, I’m not sure as I’m still formulating my thoughts on how they connect to Watergate, the Pentagon Papers and the Tricky Dick administration. There’s too much overlap from many of the principal playas then and those of today to be dismissed as “political normalcy.”
    09/15/1998 & 09/16/1998, Mansfield, MA; 08/29/00 08/30/00, Mansfield, MA; 07/02/03, 07/03/03, Mansfield, MA; 09/28/04, 09/29/04, Boston, MA; 09/22/05, Halifax, NS; 05/24/06, 05/25/06, Boston, MA; 07/22/06, 07/23/06, Gorge, WA; 06/27/2008, Hartford; 06/28/08, 06/30/08, Mansfield; 08/18/2009, O2, London, UK; 10/30/09, 10/31/09, Philadelphia, PA; 05/15/10, Hartford, CT; 05/17/10, Boston, MA; 05/20/10, 05/21/10, NY, NY; 06/22/10, Dublin, IRE; 06/23/10, Northern Ireland; 09/03/11, 09/04/11, Alpine Valley, WI; 09/11/11, 09/12/11, Toronto, Ont; 09/14/11, Ottawa, Ont; 09/15/11, Hamilton, Ont; 07/02/2012, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/04/2012 & 07/05/2012, Berlin, Germany; 07/07/2012, Stockholm, Sweden; 09/30/2012, Missoula, MT; 07/16/2013, London, Ont; 07/19/2013, Chicago, IL; 10/15/2013 & 10/16/2013, Worcester, MA; 10/21/2013 & 10/22/2013, Philadelphia, PA; 10/25/2013, Hartford, CT; 11/29/2013, Portland, OR; 11/30/2013, Spokane, WA; 12/04/2013, Vancouver, BC; 12/06/2013, Seattle, WA; 10/03/2014, St. Louis. MO; 10/22/2014, Denver, CO; 10/26/2015, New York, NY; 04/23/2016, New Orleans, LA; 04/28/2016 & 04/29/2016, Philadelphia, PA; 05/01/2016 & 05/02/2016, New York, NY; 05/08/2016, Ottawa, Ont.; 05/10/2016 & 05/12/2016, Toronto, Ont.; 08/05/2016 & 08/07/2016, Boston, MA; 08/20/2016 & 08/22/2016, Chicago, IL; 07/01/2018, Prague, Czech Republic; 07/03/2018, Krakow, Poland; 07/05/2018, Berlin, Germany; 09/02/2018 & 09/04/2018, Boston, MA; 09/08/2022, Toronto, Ont; 09/11/2022, New York, NY; 09/14/2022, Camden, NJ; 09/02/2023, St. Paul, MN;

Brilliantati©
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,164
    mrussel1 said:

They could have selected Signals and steered clear of 2112 and the related robes. Still would need that wig
  • Options
    mrussel1 said:

They could have selected Signals and steered clear of 2112 and the related robes. Still would need that wig

well its was 2112 that said fuck you to the whole industry and set them on THEIR path.

Signals followed the then new wave synth trend.
    Further to honor/parody that era is fitting to Foos and there irreverence......

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    https://news.yahoo.com/paid-500-000-bail-george-210615038.html  On Thursday, documents revealing the identities of the three people who paid scandal-plagued congressman George Santos' $500,000 bond will be unsealed

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options

• Options
    On top of signing a bill to eliminate water/shade breaks from work safety requirements. Go Tejas!

Brilliantati©
  • Options

House Republicans push off Biden impeachment bid for now as hard-right clamors for action
    By Lisa Mascaro
    1 hour ago

WASHINGTON (AP) — Eager to impeach President Joe Biden, hard-right House Republicans forced a vote Thursday that sent the matter to congressional committees in a clear demonstration of the challenge that Speaker Kevin McCarthy faces in controlling the majority party.

The ability of single lawmaker in the 435-member House to drive an impeachment resolution this week caught Republicans off guard and many of them viewed it as a distraction from other priorities.

The measure charges Biden with “high crimes and misdemeanors” over his handling of the U.S. border with Mexico.

Rep. Lauren Boebert, backed by allies, was able to use House rules to force a snap vote on such a grave constitutional matter. The 219-208 party-line vote sent her resolution to committees for possible consideration, like any other bill. They are under no obligation to do anything.

Still, Boebert, R-Colo., argued during debate, “The House is taking historic action."

The episode underscores the hold that the House conservative flank exerts over McCarthy, compelling him to accommodate their hard-right priorities if he wants to stay in power.

Conservatives are gearing up for more. The process Boebert employed is the same method that Rep. Anna Paulina Luna, R-Fla., relied on to force a vote Wednesday to censure Democratic Rep. Adam Schiff over his investigations into Donald Trump's ties to Russia.

“There’s going to be no end to this,” Schiff said.

“Kevin McCarthy has no control over his conference,” Schiff said. ”The race to the extreme is now running the House of Representatives and of course it’s doing terrible damage to the institution.”

During Thursday's debate, Republicans were admonished multiple times by the presiding officer to tone down their remarks.

Democrats argued that the case against Biden made a mockery of the seriousness of impeachment and was merely an attempt to distract from the twice-impeached Trump, the former Republican president now indicted for hording classified documents under the Espionage Act.

“Today they're dishonoring this House and dishonoring themselves by bringing to the floor this ridiculous impeachment referral resolution,” said Massachusetts Rep. Jim McGovern, the top Democrat on the House Rules Committee, suggesting Trump put his allies up to it.

"This body has become a place where extreme, outlandish and nutty issues get debated passionately, and important ones not at all," McGovern said. “In short, the Republican Party is a joke.”

The vote capped days of maneuvering by McCarthy, R-Calif., to quell the uprising within his party over a roll call that many did not to take.

A sudden vote to impeach Biden would have been politically difficult for GOP lawmakers and a potentially embarrassing spectacle for McCarthy, splitting his party. In a private meeting Wednesday, McCarthy encouraged lawmakers to consider the traditional process for bringing such consequential legislation forward. Boebert had used what is called a privileged resolution to force the vote.

In the end, McCarthy negotiated a deal with her to send the Biden impeachment resolution for review to the House Judiciary Committee and the House Homeland Security Committee, fending off a vote for some time.

“I think it’s best for everybody,” McCarthy said.

But conservatives said more such votes are ahead.

“We are just beginning,” said Republican Rep. Chip Roy of Texas, an influential member of the House Freedom Caucus.

Conservatives are lining up votes, for example, to impeach Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas and censure Democratic Rep. Bennie Thompson, who was the chairman of the committee investigating the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the Capitol. It’s part of their effort to steer control of the House from the traditional centers of power, including the speaker’s office.

“This is what we were talking about,” said Republican Rep. Matt Gaetz of Florida, a leader in the conservative efforts to block McCarthy’s rise to speaker.

Boebert said that if the committees drag their feet, she would bring her resolution back to the floor “every day for the rest of my time here in Congress,” forcing a House vote on Biden’s impeachment.

Rank-and-file Republicans were angry at being forced into the position of having to vote on a resolution to impeach Biden even though they had not gone through the traditional process of an impeachment inquiry. They resented a single lawmaker jumping the queue of priorities.

In one fiery exchange overheard Wednesday on the House floor, Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene, R-Ga., laid into Boebert for taking the Biden impeachment on her own. Greene has her own articles of impeachment against the president.

Greene confirmed a report about the exchange later and said of Boebert, “She has a great skill and talent for making most people here not like her.”

Boebert declined to comment about the conversation, only saying it's "not middle school."

Trump was impeached twice — on corruption and obstruction charges over withholding military aid to Ukraine while seeking political dirt on Biden, and later on charges of inciting the Jan. 6, 2021, insurrection at the Capitol. Both times, Trump was acquitted by the Senate.

___

Associated Press writers Farnoush Amiri and Stephen Groves contributed to this report.

• Options
    so does anybody want to talk about the boebert and greene spat on the house floor last night, or nah?

acting like a couple of 4th graders out there.