Comments

• hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    I know what I’m getting someone for his birthday!

Who am I kidding...I’ll be on it more than he. 
  • Was able to snag one on Gamestop for my 13 year old after whiffing at bestbuy.

What a pain in the ass to get.
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,264
    Was able to snag one on Gamestop for my 13 year old after whiffing at bestbuy.

It's preorder for now. Comes out in November 
    I miss igotid88
  • igotid88 said:
    Was able to snag one on Gamestop for my 13 year old after whiffing at bestbuy.

It's preorder for now. Comes out in November 
    I know, i meant to say it was a pain in the ass to secure a pre order, but was able to.
  • Can u still preorder one?

I think I will dip my toe into this realm again.
  • Can u still preorder one?

I think I will dip my toe into this realm again.
    Not sure. It was a train wreck last night. I got lucky on Game Stop. I suggest trying there, or Best Buy. My son told me they have been coming in and out of stock.

• PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    I think I’m going to go with the Xbox this year 😱
  • MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Not sure what I am doing.  My Ps4 doesnt really get a ton of use, and really hasnt this round.  The whole way games are delivered and storage space issues annoy me.

Full backwards compatibility would have sold me.  
  • pjsteelerfanpjsteelerfan Maryland Posts: 9,883
    My PS4 works great, still a ton of games coming out on it for years to come. Can wait a year or two and get PS5 when it goes on sale. 
    ...got a mind full of questions and a teacher in my soul...
  • mca47mca47 Posts: 13,248
    I was late to the Pre-order party.
    Damnit!
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,099
    im on the fence here...have an xbox one X.....i like it, but the new console wont have any next gen developed games for 2 years....bummer

I hear PS5 next gen games will look great, leaning towards a PS5.....but ive been rocking an xbox for 15 years now

prob gonna wait til after launch
  • I have a PS4 that doesn't get enough use, and also a PS3 that I just recently fired up again to play through a few of the old games... I might get a PS5 down the road when my PS3 goes, but definitely wont' be able to justify it until then.

Well, if any of you stumble upon a pre-order....
    Let me know.

I was able to preorder a XBOX series X on Bestbuy yesterday.....I guess I made my decision, it was a pain in the ass....got lucky

People are paying over $1000 on ebay, what a joke....more will be coming out prior to release

I read a bunch of people fucked up and got an XBOX ONE X by accident, Series X sounds and looks the same when your trying to check out quickly....Should of named it something different n coll...IDK maybe SCORPION, Dummies

• MayDay10MayDay10 Posts: 11,611
    Im on the fence right now.  

Thinking of going with the XBox unit this round.  I just really dig backwards compatibility.
    I got notified at 3AM on my phone that Target had more pre-orders.
    Sigh.
  • RygarRygar Posts: 8,685
    edited September 2020
    CROJAM95 said:
    im on the fence here...have an xbox one X.....i like it, but the new console wont have any next gen developed games for 2 years....bummer

I hear PS5 next gen games will look great, leaning towards a PS5.....but ive been rocking an xbox for 15 years now

prob gonna wait til after launch
    Two years?  I assume you mean exclusives, specifically?  
    I think we'll see them a lot sooner.  Halo Infinite next year and Forza not far behind.  Both the PS5 and XBX games ought to look and play great.

I got my XBX pre-order in with minimal trouble aside from the overloaded sites.
    Post edited by Rygar on
  • Jason PJason P Posts: 19,122

Hello fellow nerds!  Jason P has thoughts.  Lots of thoughts.

First up as a disclaimer, I have almost no fanboy loyalty.  I’ve bought every system since the original Atari (with the exception of SEGA systems and Jaguar).  I care not who makes the system, I just want a good system.  I thought the 360 was better system then the PS3.  And even though Xbox passed the PS4 in power midway thru the current gen, the PS4 has been my preferred gaming system in the current gen.  Nintendo gonna Nintendo so they are not really in this discussion. 

First up, thoughts on needing a new system right now … it will be awesome if you can get one, but not necessary, especially with the industry realizing how much money can still be made on the current gen user base, I think there is a two year window to ease into getting a new system with still being able to play new games, but they won’t look as nice.

That said, my prime objective is to get either a PS5 or Series X on launch. 

Pre Orders

Sony was a complete shit show.  No other way to describe it.  No information for months, then a quick presentation with no preorder info, a tweet about preorders the next day, and then Walmart unleashed the kraken and chaos descended upon the internet.  I got a pre-order notification email at about 7:30 from Best Buy and spent the next several hours hitting refresh / F5 with a system in my cart only to get gut punched.  The only other experience I can make an analogy to is the Pearl Jam 20 ticket debacle. 

Xbox:  After the PS5 debacle, I decided I wasn’t going to sit at home and try for a Series X and get my soul crushed.  The weather was way too nice on Tuesday.  I decided to check in on my phone at 11 am Tuesday.  I was in a woods, sitting on a log atop a hill with 2 bars of 4G service and was able to snag a Series X.  People can say the Microsoft preorders were as bad as Sony, but at least we had a chance before the bots cleaned everything out. 

Exclusives

I’ve never cared too much about exclusives since I typically get both systems, but they are are a deal to some / most people.  Sony has had a clear day 1 advantage, especially with Halo being pushed back.   Microsoft has taking a lot of flac for not having exclusives, so they did what any super mega corp would do and backed up the Brinks truck to Bethesda and bought them for $7.5 billion dollars

(insert Sony’s reactions …)

Elder Scrolls and Fallout (and upcoming Star Field)  are system sellers.  Fortnite and Minecraft may be more popular, but the user base of those games still need lunch money from their parents.  Sony will have an advantage for a year or two, but I imagine Microsoft will have a staggered release for Elder Scrolls 6 and Fallout 5 where you will have to wait a year to play them on PS5 … I don’t think they spent $7.5B to be a Sony game publisher.  For perspective, Disney spent $4B on the entire Star Wars franchise.

System and Hardware Pricing

I was pleasantly surprised to see the PS5 priced at $500 for disc and $400 for digital.  I don’t need a disc drive so I was hoping to pick up a PS5 digital.  That is a good deal.  Yes the Series S is $300, but it is in a different weight class.  PS5 and Series X are pretty much identical in components (slight edge to series X on paper).  I think both companies are selling these at a loss on launch.  Either way, it is a great deal for the consumer … basically getting a $1000 gaming PC for $500 / $400. 

Now for controllers … PS4 controllers can play PS4 games on the PS5 but can’t play PS5 games on the PS5 … translation:  get ready to buy more controllers at $70 if you want to play PS5 games on your PS5.  Xbox current gen controllers will be able to play new Xbox Series X (I agrees they should have called the thing SCORPION or something …).  This is something that people who already own Xbox controllers really need to consider because that is a huge cost savings … and a probably a reason why Sony was able to lower their pricing to competitive levels if they can make profit on selling new PS5 controllers. 

Also for consideration for anyone with uber expensive racing wheels … it appears current Fanatec wheels on the current xbox will work with the Series X … I will be able to confirm when my Series X arrives … based on my history of racing wheels on Sony’s side, I do not expect to see cross-compatibility.

Game Pricing

Uhhhggg … looks like the industry is moving to the $70 standard for new games.  Enter Microsoft Game Pass:  $10 / month for a huge amount of games is going to make a lot of sense for a lot of people.  I’ve been tempted by it in the past, but since the PS4 was my primary system, I never tried it.  You are going to get Halo / Forza / Fallout / Elder Scrolls / Doom / Gears day one for $10 a month.  If you only plan on buying 2 of these games a year you will be saving money with Game Pass.  Microsoft will continue to buyout studios making this an even better deal.  

Sony has straight up said they can’t do what Microsoft is doing.  It is cost prohibitive to them.  And with news today on how to play an enhanced version of the current Spiderman game on PS5 … it requires you to own the PS4 version and then you also need to buy the ultimate version of the Miles Spiderman game to play an enhanced version, it is not a good look on what to expect in the future from Sony.  Microsoft is enhancing current Forza and Gears games with 4K / 120 FPS for no charge. 

Good points Jason P.
    I think the debacle surrounding the Xbox pre-orders was all about site overload, which is common for big releases of most anything.  And sites like Amazon and Best Buy being slow (super slow in Amazon's case) to even get the pre-order page up.
    I imagine the Sony pre-order was just as bad (or worse considering for popularity, despite the short notice).

The only thing I'll say is that I'm not convinced MS will time-limit the triple A Bethesda games to Xbox.  On the one hand it will surely influence console sales to some degree, but every copy of that game sold on a bigger install base of Sony is still money in MS' pocket.  I kind of think they'll get some new 1st party exclusive IPs, but we'll have to wait and see.

• igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,264
    I saw that PS5 wouldn't be backwards compatible but now I see that it is
    I miss igotid88
    Rygar said:
    Good points Jason P.
    I think the debacle surrounding the Xbox pre-orders was all about site overload, which is common for big releases of most anything.  And sites like Amazon and Best Buy being slow (super slow in Amazon's case) to even get the pre-order page up.
    I imagine the Sony pre-order was just as bad (or worse considering for popularity, despite the short notice).

The only thing I'll say is that I'm not convinced MS will time-limit the triple A Bethesda games to Xbox.  On the one hand it will surely influence console sales to some degree, but every copy of that game sold on a bigger install base of Sony is still money in MS' pocket.  I kind of think they'll get some new 1st party exclusive IPs, but we'll have to wait and see.

Yeah, that is just speculation on my part on when PS5 will get these.  Lots of things for Microsoft to consider ... I think a lot will depend on how much of the market Microsoft controls when these games are ready for release.  If they are leading sales of systems, they will probably launch day 1 on PS5 to avoid consumer blow-back.  But if PS5 has a commanding market lead, it would only make sense to make them exclusives.  Or they could go the route of Sony / COD Activision where the PS4 got exclusive game modes although I'm not sure that model fits Bethesda games.

Still, they spent $7,500,000,000.  Lonestar, can you give some perspective?

Xbox Series X better have “The Show” baseball game... or I’m gonna throw mine off the roof

not playing a baseball game for years robbed me 😡

i wonder if the 4K Blu-ray Drive is a little better than Xbox one x
    igotid88 said:
    I saw that PS5 wouldn't be backwards compatible but now I see that it is
    I read that it was only backwards compat to the PS4.
    CROJAM95 said:
    Xbox Series X better have “The Show” baseball game... or I’m gonna throw mine off the roof

not playing a baseball game for years robbed me 😡

i wonder if the 4K Blu-ray Drive is a little better than Xbox one x
    2021 is the rumour!