Options

Things that represent the year 2020

Comments

• Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,833
    https://twitter.com/electroboyusa/status/1335741656096677888?s=21
    This totally represents 2020 is that a fountain in the front of the mansion or the pool lol Kelly’s house in the 5th poorest state!ok it could be some one else’s home or one of the five or six homes she owns, but you get the gist of it all.
    google neil young's hawaiian hideaway. jesus. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
    House shamers!
    :lol:
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,736
    This totally represents 2020 is that a fountain in the front of the mansion or the pool lol Kelly’s house in the 5th poorest state!ok it could be some one else’s home or one of the five or six homes she owns, but you get the gist of it all.

Poncho:  "A little more boat?"
    Neil:  "NO, Poncho,  A little more lanais!"
    Billy:  "Fuck it, Ralph, let's go grab a Mai Tai."
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    brianlux said:

LOL. I'd love to just be able to go to hawaii one day. never mind own my own paradise there. it's frickin' gorgeous. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    brianlux said:

LOL. I'd love to just be able to go to hawaii one day. never mind own my own paradise there. it's frickin' gorgeous. 

I went to Oahu when I was a kid and it kind of sucked- all tourist bullshit.  But then years later in the mid 80's I went to Maui with my (then) second wife for a week and I'd never felt so relaxed in my life.  We both called our bosses and arranged for a couple more days off to extend our stay.  It was amazing! But today?  I don't know.  Is it over crowded these day, anyone know?
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”

• Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I went to Oahu when I was a kid and it kind of sucked- all tourist bullshit.  But then years later in the mid 80's I went to Maui with my (then) second wife for a week and I'd never felt so relaxed in my life.  We both called our bosses and arranged for a couple more days off to extend our stay.  It was amazing! But today?  I don't know.  Is it over crowded these day, anyone know?
    my parents have been, and friends of ours go every year. they love it, and i've never heard of the issues you speak of. I'm sure it all depends which island you go to, the season, etc. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    SpunkieSpunkie I come from downtown. Posts: 5,552
    Hit up Mama Fish House if you make it to Maui. I prayed the ocean let me out safely surfing there! Fucker tried to steal my bikini briefs!

I spent Saturday morning looking at covid requirements and case numbers in Honolulu for an impromptu trip. Shoppers does testing for Air Canada, West Jet does testing for Albertans. One Island isn't allowing negative tests to exempt the 14 day isolation requirement.

I might stick with our Federal recommendations not to travel and to test without symptoms.
  • Options
    tish said:
    Hit up Mama Fish House if you make it to Maui. I prayed the ocean let me out safely surfing there! Fucker tried to steal my bikini briefs!

I spent Saturday morning looking at covid requirements and case numbers in Honolulu for an impromptu trip. Shoppers does testing for Air Canada, West Jet does testing for Albertans. One Island isn't allowing negative tests to exempt the 14 day isolation requirement.

I might stick with our Federal recommendations not to travel and to test without symptoms.
    smart ocean. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,894
    Hawaii is offering free round trips for remote workers who want to temporarily move there.

• Options
    tish said:

I did a little body surfing in Hawaii when I was there and this big sneaker wave grabbed a hold of me and slammed me down face first into the ocean floor.  Fortunately it was sand and not rock or shell but I couldn't figure which way was up and I felt sucker punched and it took a while to finally surface.  Scary stuff! 

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,187
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Went to Oahu for 10 days 6-7 years ago. Our Hotel was on Waikiki beach and after spending a couple of days in Honolulu checking out the touristy things I was starting to wonder what the big deal about Hawaii was. My wife and I decided to just rent a car and take our own daily excursions all over the island away from where the tourists hang out. It is amazing how much more beautiful that island is the further you get away from Honolulu. We found some amazing beaches and hiking trails that the locals were surprised to see us obvious tourists at, but everyone we encountered was friendly and welcoming. We ended up driving the entire island throughout our stay and enjoyed the scenery between stops much more than fighting for space on the overcrowded man made Waikiki beach. It ended up being an amazing trip, and one we will not forget. Once the kids are a little older we will likely do the same on Maui.

• Options
    JW269453 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Went to Oahu for 10 days 6-7 years ago. Our Hotel was on Waikiki beach and after spending a couple of days in Honolulu checking out the touristy things I was starting to wonder what the big deal about Hawaii was. My wife and I decided to just rent a car and take our own daily excursions all over the island away from where the tourists hang out. It is amazing how much more beautiful that island is the further you get away from Honolulu. We found some amazing beaches and hiking trails that the locals were surprised to see us obvious tourists at, but everyone we encountered was friendly and welcoming. We ended up driving the entire island throughout our stay and enjoyed the scenery between stops much more than fighting for space on the overcrowded man made Waikiki beach. It ended up being an amazing trip, and one we will not forget. Once the kids are a little older we will likely do the same on Maui.

Maui was beautiful when I went there years ago.  It had some rather touristy areas, of course, though not- big city like Honolulu.  But there were several really great places to get away from the crowd and enjoy the island.  The one place I missed was getting out to was Hana on the northwest side.  We rented a car and tried to make the drive but it is non-stop curves and even though I was driving, I got too car sick to make it the whole way and we had to turn back.  Maybe keep that in mind if you go and anyone in your family has motion sickness issues.  It's too bad- that place is reputed to be magnificent.  In any case, I hope you get a chance to see Maui!

• Options
    FiveBelowFiveBelow Lubbock, TX Posts: 1,187
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Maui was beautiful when I went there years ago.  It had some rather touristy areas, of course, though not- big city like Honolulu.  But there were several really great places to get away from the crowd and enjoy the island.  The one place I missed was getting out to was Hana on the northwest side.  We rented a car and tried to make the drive but it is non-stop curves and even though I was driving, I got too car sick to make it the whole way and we had to turn back.  Maybe keep that in mind if you go and anyone in your family has motion sickness issues.  It's too bad- that place is reputed to be magnificent.  In any case, I hope you get a chance to see Maui!
    I usually just grab something near me and do my best Garth impression in those instances. Motion sickness is no joke.

• Options
    Don't try to hurl back into the wine bottle! 

Charging those windy hills was thrilling, like a roller coaster ride in the Jeep! Gave the hang loose sign to those we passed.

I'm with you on the scare factor of the waves, Bri my boy, throwing you into the sand. I prayed to the ocean to let me out! Glad to survive. It seemed like every surf spot had it's own particular danger, too! 
  • Options
    cincybearcatcincybearcat Posts: 16,113
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

Kauai is where it’s at. Paradise.
    hippiemom = goodness
  • Options
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

So I have heard!  Maybe I'll get there some day.  Sounds like a great place to check out.

• Options
    g under pg under p Surfing The far side of THE Sombrero Galaxy Posts: 18,122
    edited December 2020
    So behind my workplace is a prison with double sets of spaced sharp razor wire fencing. This being the crazy year of 2020 it rained in September and October  more than any year in the last 10 years. That said those razor wire fences colapsed inward after all that rain. Now it's going on two months and they haven't been fixed as yet. 

So if you hear any prisoners escaping in Palm Beach County FL you'll know for sure why.

Peace
    Post edited by g under p on
    *We CAN bomb the World to pieces, but we CAN'T bomb it into PEACE*...Michael Franti

*MUSIC IS the expression of EMOTION.....and that POLITICS IS merely the DECOY of PERCEPTION*
    .....song_Music & Politics....Michael Franti

*The scientists of today think deeply instead of clearly. One must be sane to think clearly, but one can think deeply and be quite INSANE*....Nikola Tesla(a man who shaped our world of electricity with his futuristic inventions)

• Options
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    OnWis97OnWis97 St. Paul, MN Posts: 4,824
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

So I have heard!  Maybe I'll get there some day.  Sounds like a great place to check out.
    I enjoyed Honolulu for the few days I was there but enjoyed the hell out of the Big Island.  It has something like 11of the world’s 13 ecosystems.  Volcanoes National Park is awesome.  Once is probably enough for Honolulu but I would love to get back to the Big Island.  Of course I would also like to try Kauai and Maui.
    1995 Milwaukee     1998 Alpine, Alpine     2003 Albany, Boston, Boston, Boston     2004 Boston, Boston     2006 Hartford, St. Paul (Petty), St. Paul (Petty)     2011 Alpine, Alpine     
    2013 Wrigley     2014 St. Paul     2016 Fenway, Fenway, Wrigley, Wrigley     2018 Missoula, Wrigley, Wrigley     2021 Asbury Park     2022 St Louis     2023 Austin, Austin
  • Options
    PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,228
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

We did the "Road to Hana" drive while on our honeymoon. They gave you a cassette (it was 1998) that guided you and told you when to stop and see things like waterfalls along with a map. There is a point where the tour ends and you are supposed to turn around and head back. The guy we rented the cassette etc. from said..."you don't have to turn back, just keep, going and you'll come back around the other way and there's more to see". So I figured, sure, why not. You end up on unpaved, narrow winding roads along cliffs with no guard rails, and it got dark. Thought I was going to end up in a news item, "Honeymooning couple from Massachusetts killed when rental car plummets off cliff to rocky death 800 feet below". Scariest driving I've ever done. 
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Options
    2020 LED Flickering Dumpster Fire - Christmas Ornament Gift

• Options
    josevolutionjosevolution Posts: 28,304
    hedonist said:
    House shamers!
    :lol:
    lol no doubt 
    jesus greets me looks just like me ....
  • Options
    hedonisthedonist standing on the edge of forever Posts: 24,524
  • Options
    Oh f*ck hedoBabe. I just listened to the first line and...
    GOOD ONE!
  • Options
    GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 9,894
    hedonist said:
    Good call. Roger Daltrey in all of his Tommy glory.

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889

Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

We did the "Road to Hana" drive while on our honeymoon. They gave you a cassette (it was 1998) that guided you and told you when to stop and see things like waterfalls along with a map. There is a point where the tour ends and you are supposed to turn around and head back. The guy we rented the cassette etc. from said..."you don't have to turn back, just keep, going and you'll come back around the other way and there's more to see". So I figured, sure, why not. You end up on unpaved, narrow winding roads along cliffs with no guard rails, and it got dark. Thought I was going to end up in a news item, "Honeymooning couple from Massachusetts killed when rental car plummets off cliff to rocky death 800 feet below". Scariest driving I've ever done. 
    I had a buddy that was "house sitting" on that road.  We had locals over one night and they were taking pictures of the back yard.  It was a few hundred acres w the ocean as a backdrop.  I thought it was interesting that an islander was taking pics.  He told me that this part of the island is all private and most locals will never get to see it so it was a treat for them.

I was in a remote part of the island and had no clue...  These things would happen to me all the time and always thought that everyone did this.
  • Options
    static111 said:

This reminds me of a Dead Kennedys album!
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096
    Poncier said:
    brianlux said:
    JW269453 said:
    brianlux said:
    brianlux said:

I had a buddy that was "house sitting" on that road.  We had locals over one night and they were taking pictures of the back yard.  It was a few hundred acres w the ocean as a backdrop.  I thought it was interesting that an islander was taking pics.  He told me that this part of the island is all private and most locals will never get to see it so it was a treat for them.

I was in a remote part of the island and had no clue...  These things would happen to me all the time and always thought that everyone did this.
    I went in December 1992 for my honeymoon - 3 days in Oahu and then 3 weeks in Maui (Kauai had just had a massive hurricane and was off limits). I loved Maui, it was beauitful. We also took the road past the sign that side Residents Only and headed into the magical mystical mushroom land. I felt like I was in a Tolkien novel. Breathtaking. I was about as chill as you can get and then we made a turn and SHIT - skinny no rail road that winds forever. I am scared of heights and I can still feel the terror. It was nightmare scary.

We stopped at a resident's place - they were selling cold drinks or something and they told us about the ocassional car falling off the road, very cool couple that let us chill out before we got back on the road. . I went from ecstatic to horror. I couldn't even try to enjoy the view because I was touching the cliff wall and telling my now ex-husband to get closer. Phew. That did, after quite a long time, turn into a road that led to the road to Hana. We only got about halfway to Hana; we were walking on a little walkway on a mountain and it collapsed ahead of us.So that was the end of that.  I still think the mystical green mushroom land was the happiest place I've ever been. 

Our hotel was gorgous and there was a road that connected all the hotels and bars along the coast for easy access to bars, etc.. I walked away from my ex one night and just stood in the darkness at the water's edge. I  took in how lucky I was to be standing on this small island in the Pacific and I really felt the beauty and, of course, my internal pull towards the ocean. I never feel as calm and whole as I do when I am AT the ocean.I needed to feel small and grateful surrounded by a mystical land.  I can still feel the intensity of those moments and I treasure that. 

Definitely not a 2020 type feeling!!!!
  • Options
    njnancynjnancy Northern New Jersey Posts: 5,096