Options

Can We Just Talk About Jeff Freaking Ament For A Second?

HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,832
edited August 2020 in The Porch
I just freaking love this guy. I love all of his musical output. I've always loved him as a bass player (as I am one). But his solo projects, I listen to most or all of them. His most recent release American Death Squad is freaking amazing. His songs for PJ are some of all time faves. 

What's your favourite Jeff Ament song/project?

@dimitrispearljam you don't need to answer this one. LOL

P.S.: if anyone has any Jeff picks, I'm in the market. 

here's what i've got:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on

Comments

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    Right there with you, man. He writes some badass tunes. Love his solo stuff, RNDM & of course, PJ.

I think I have a “Tone” bass pick, btw.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,427
    Jeff definitely comes off to me as the most creative guy in the band.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Can you talk about Jeff? Yes, please. My favorite. :smile:
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    Love his contributions to the new PJ album. I do need to dig more into his solo stuff admittedly. 
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,786
    Yep.
    Yep.
    Yep.
    Creative. Dig his hard edge. Loved him expanding my musical mind with rndm. Got on a Joseph Arthur kick from that. Richard beats those drums nicely. Good stuff all around. Fantastic what he does for kids and skateparks. 
    Tough picks to get. Was super cool he donated a box of picks for the mystery box.
  • Options
    lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 11,946
    I have some cool jeff bits . I always try to get that spot in front of jeff. Best place to be 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    Yep.
    Yep.
    Yep.
    Creative. Dig his hard edge. Loved him expanding my musical mind with rndm. Got on a Joseph Arthur kick from that. Richard beats those drums nicely. Good stuff all around. Fantastic what he does for kids and skateparks. 
    Tough picks to get. Was super cool he donated a box of picks for the mystery box.
    This is what happened with me and Joseph 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • Options
    Ament & EV win co-MVP award for Gigaton. Jeff with a big contribution on this record with synth on DOTC, music and lyrics to Alright, and stellar guitar riff on Quick Escape.

This was a great Jeff album!
    "Darkness comes in waves, tell me, why invite it to stay?"
  • Options
    another new Jeff project, Deaf Charlie. awesome, can't wait. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    YourDirtisMyfoodYourDirtisMyfood Boston Posts: 4,496
    If Jeff really came up with the Stickman design, that might be my favorite project of his outside actually performing with Pearl Jam.
  • Options
    Im constantly  blown away by jeff. 
    He really carries so many songs along with his punchy basslines
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    raindog80raindog80 Reggio Emilia, Italy Posts: 1,141
    edited September 2020
    JA is the fuckin' sheriff - the best.
    I really love all his projects and also his solo music (WMHB is my fav. one). 
    Post edited by raindog80 on
    "I like beautiful melodies telling me terrible things" - Tom Waits
    pearljamonline.it
  • Options
    CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,158
    Remember when Jeff was on a bunch of mtv Rock n jock? Haha good stuff

underrated musician for sure 
  • Options
    Yes.  The sheriff.!
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    The bass line in Army Reserve is amazing.  It’s like he took something from a George Clinton song and just made it fit seamlessly with PJ.   That being said my favorite JA is Three Fish JA.  The world needs another Three Fish record.
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Options
    igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,394
    I miss igotid88
  • Options
    Absolutely loved Heaven/Hell.  

In many ways… I consider it a precursor to Gigaton… He worked with Josh Evans on it.  I think you can hear the influence/connective tissue.

Love JA so much.  He brings such a unique element to the band. 
  • Options
    demetriosdemetrios Canada Posts: 87,833
    edited October 2020

• Options
    the new Deaf Charlie track was kind of a surprise, given the first track they released together. interesting. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    bigbiggzybigbiggzy Posts: 713
    The new track is CRAYZEE original... 
  • Options
    julieferjuliefer New Westminster, BC Posts: 379
    Aside from the music, I love how his projects tend to be a complete package with costumes, colour schemes and everything all working together. He's a super talented artist in so many different forms.
  • Options
    juliefer said:
    Aside from the music, I love how his projects tend to be a complete package with costumes, colour schemes and everything all working together. He's a super talented artist in so many different forms.
    agreed. i'd love to be able to buy some jeff art. closest i have is the RNDM mask. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    if i ever see pearl jam live again, my plan is to be wearing my RNDM mask along with something like this:

Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    I threw  my rndm sweatband to Jeff in Amsterdam.  He threw  me his.  He wore it for the encore and gave me it back so i got both. Good man is the sheriff
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    I threw  my rndm sweatband to Jeff in Amsterdam.  He threw  me his.  He wore it for the encore and gave me it back so i got both. Good man is the sheriff
    that's fabulous. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    edited October 2020
    Was lucky enough to see RNDM at a small club in Vancouver and was up against the stage on Jeff's side the full show. He had his RNDM balaclava on a speaker side stage. Near the end of the show I watched a dude sprint up and grab it and then run into the bathroom. A roadie ran in after him and did a fully body search but the guy didn't have it. He must have had a buddy in there that he handed it off to. After the show Jeff was signing my show poster and I told him what happened. He was pretty annoyed and said that was his last one. Was an incredible show and I got the whole band to sign the poster. 
  • Options
    halv said:
    Was lucky enough to see RNDM at a small club in Vancouver and was up against the stage on Jeff's side the full show. He had his RNDM balaclava on a speaker side stage. Near the end of the show I watched a dude sprint up and grab it and then run into the bathroom. A roadie ran in after him and did a fully body search but the guy didn't have it. He must have had a buddy in there that he handed it off to. After the show Jeff was signing my show poster and I told him what happened. He was pretty annoyed and said that was his last one. Was an incredible show and I got the whole band to sign the poster. 
    some people are just dicks. 

would love to see jeff and co in smaller venue like that. won't ever come to winterpeg is my guess. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    Awesome story
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    edited October 2020
    I met jeff in an airport and nobody else was there apart from my friend simon and jeffs body guard.  We spoke for 10 mins  like i knew him for ever.
    Then we parted. It was my birthday i totally forgot .
    Post edited by lastexitlondon on
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

• Options
    halvhalv Posts: 680
    I met jeff in an airport and nobody else was there apart from my friend simon and jeffs body guard.  We spoke for 10 mins  like i knew him for ever.
    Then we parted. It was my birthday i totally forgot .
    Amazing!