Options

What is your most prized vinyl record in your collection?

Comments

• Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,756
    record has a silly warp but plays, had it since I was a kid, got doyle to sign it not too long ago. Usually bust it out during the halloween season. I had a metallic sharpie, but he used his and I love it.
  • Options
    picked this up in nyc as a kid. Read the typed sleeve and wanted to hear it. Sure it was cheap too. Maybe 10 bucks? Wouldn't have the cash if it was more. Test pressing didn't mean anything to me.
  • Options
    got this 'well loved' happy record from salvation army. I feel this should be in a museum. There are all love notes written all over it and scratched out. I interpret it as a fan who maybe got a broken heart when he died. Glad I have it for now and it didn't get tossed in the trash.
  • Options
    rgambs said:
    No value because they are played to death and we're stored wrong so they have some warp but I have my parents' vinyl collection that has some real gems.  Despite the condition they were almost all bought right at release so I assume that means they were first presses.  They also have all the original artwork and materials included...
    Beatles: White Album, Let it Be, Sgt Peppers, Rubber Soul
    Pink Floyd: Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here---Bonus treat, there are 4 rectangles cut from the DSM inner sleeve, because they were snowed in at the Redfeather Lakes in Colorado and couldn't get out to buy some rolling papers 🤣
    Lynyrd Skynyrd: Street Survivors with the original album cover
    AC/DC: Highway to Hell
    Led Zeppelin: IV, Physical Graffiti, CODA, Houses of the Holy
    Black Sabbath: Self-Titled, Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Neil Young: Harvest
    Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Some honorable mentions that I remember getting a ton of spins and that show the depth of the collection...Styx: Pieces of Eight, Paradise Theatre
    Uriah Heep is in there, Yes, a few Doobie Bros albums, Deep Purple S-T, Graham Nash: Songs for Beginners, John Mayall's Blues breakers, Aerosmith: Toys in the Attic and S-T, a couple Kansas records that I really loved, Paul McCartney: Ram, Journey and Boston debuts, Meatloaf: Bat out of Hell and Back into Hell...fuck I really loved those two.  Paraphrasing from childhood memory "Wait a minute, boy, stop it.  What do you think you're doing?
    And I said God Damn It Daddy, you know I love you, but you've got a hell of a lot to learn about rock and roll!"
    🤣🤣. Gotta get that in my ears now.
    Zeppelin IV and the White Album were the two most frequent spins, Elton John, Styx Paradise Theatre and Meatloaf were my personal favorites as a child under the age of 10.
    Priceless stuff with great stories attached...thanks for sharing them.
  • Options
    hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Southwest Burbs of Chicago Posts: 4,864
    Burl Ives. Lollipop Tree.  My first album circa 1978, still own it, still spin it.  
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,654
    A couple of my signed albums. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    Guy DudebroGuy Dudebro Posts: 1,345
     One  of my grails arrived yesterday. 35 years after my first opportunity to buy one and 25 years after buying one out of Goldmine that got  lost in the mail along with two others that can never be replaced. Sex Pistols- Bad Boys, Live in Sweden.  1978 Swedish pressed bootleg with Beatles inspired deluxe cover. 1000 pressed.  Cover is VG but the record is EX. Looks like it was played once with only one visible spindle mark on side A. $80 bucks and I'm thrilled to finally  add one to my collection!

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    pjpjpaul said:
     I bought a signed copy from Pete’s site.  And that signed Better than Ezra is awesome!
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    pjpjpaul said:
     I bought a signed copy from Pete’s site.  And that signed Better than Ezra is awesome!
    And “awesome” is better than “Good.” :glasses:
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options

My first record, I still own it 43 years later. 
  • Options
    Loujoe said:
    rgambs said:
    No value because they are played to death and we're stored wrong so they have some warp but I have my parents' vinyl collection that has some real gems.  Despite the condition they were almost all bought right at release so I assume that means they were first presses.  They also have all the original artwork and materials included...
    Beatles: White Album, Let it Be, Sgt Peppers, Rubber Soul
    Pink Floyd: Meddle, Dark Side of the Moon, Wish You Were Here---Bonus treat, there are 4 rectangles cut from the DSM inner sleeve, because they were snowed in at the Redfeather Lakes in Colorado and couldn't get out to buy some rolling papers 🤣
    Lynyrd Skynyrd: Street Survivors with the original album cover
    AC/DC: Highway to Hell
    Led Zeppelin: IV, Physical Graffiti, CODA, Houses of the Holy
    Black Sabbath: Self-Titled, Paranoid, Sabbath Bloody Sabbath
    Neil Young: Harvest
    Elton John: Goodbye Yellow Brick Road

Some honorable mentions that I remember getting a ton of spins and that show the depth of the collection...Styx: Pieces of Eight, Paradise Theatre
    Uriah Heep is in there, Yes, a few Doobie Bros albums, Deep Purple S-T, Graham Nash: Songs for Beginners, John Mayall's Blues breakers, Aerosmith: Toys in the Attic and S-T, a couple Kansas records that I really loved, Paul McCartney: Ram, Journey and Boston debuts, Meatloaf: Bat out of Hell and Back into Hell...fuck I really loved those two.  Paraphrasing from childhood memory "Wait a minute, boy, stop it.  What do you think you're doing?
    And I said God Damn It Daddy, you know I love you, but you've got a hell of a lot to learn about rock and roll!"
    🤣🤣. Gotta get that in my ears now.
    Zeppelin IV and the White Album were the two most frequent spins, Elton John, Styx Paradise Theatre and Meatloaf were my personal favorites as a child under the age of 10.
    Priceless stuff with great stories attached...thanks for sharing them.
    Oh loved Styx
    domo arigato Mr. Roboto

• Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    Just scored a Benny.   I must add it to this list 
  • Options
    First play the shit out of it until the grooves flatten
  • Options
    edited March 2021
    First post vinyl cds sound so good vinyl, and first of a certain band(did not have a functioning record player, still bought it as it was out earlier than the cd)
    Post edited by hrd2imgn on
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,680
    hrd2imgn said:

My first record, I still own it 43 years later. 

Sweet (in every sense of the word!)
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 38,975
    hrd2imgn said:
    First post vinyl cds sound so good vinyl, and first of a certain band(did not have a functioning record player, still bought it as it was out earlier than the cd)
    I still have mine too.  50,000 advanced copies before the CD came out.
  • Options
    Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,044

• Options

I think all the originals are black and are double LP's.  Am I wrong?
  • Options

• Options

I think all the originals are black and are double LP's.  Am I wrong?
    See above post. I bought this at the show in 1999. Only 198 copies pressed. I believe it was only sold at shows on that tour. 
  • Options

If you bought that on the tour and the matrix numbers are right then that is something.  I have never seen or heard of a single LP version being authentic. So seeing this is interesting.

Pretty cool piece of history right there.  I bought the repress from 2011 and that wasn't cheap for $100.  
  • Options

If you bought that on the tour and the matrix numbers are right then that is something.  I have never seen or heard of a single LP version being authentic. So seeing this is interesting.

Pretty cool piece of history right there.  I bought the repress from 2011 and that wasn't cheap for $100.  
    Yup. Matrix numbers match. I think I paid $20 at the show. It’s definitely my prized possession as far as vinyl goes. Alternate cover for this version too. 

• Options

Yup. Matrix numbers match. I think I paid $20 at the show. It’s definitely my prized possession as far as vinyl goes. Alternate cover for this version too. 

Where is the UFO pic?  I have to go look at my copy again, lol.  There are sooo many boot versions of this.

So cool to get this.  Ialmost bought their RSD version of Like Clock work at the show but figured why bother since I have a copy already?  I wonder if it was some crazy variant too?

• Options

Where is the UFO pic?  I have to go look at my copy again, lol.  There are sooo many boot versions of this.

So cool to get this.  Ialmost bought their RSD version of Like Clock work at the show but figured why bother since I have a copy already?  I wonder if it was some crazy variant too?

I don’t know anything about the RSD Like Clockwork version. I just have the original. 
  • Options

No UFO pic. This is the inside of gatefold. That’s it. Nothing else but the record. 
  • Options
    DarthMaeglinDarthMaeglin Toronto Posts: 2,414
    I love this thread, thanks OP!

Beach Boys Endless Summer was the first non-children’s album I owned (was a gift) and MJ’s Thriller was the first album I bought with my own money so those are both very close to my heart and have received regular play over the years.

As an adult, I stumbled across a Led Zeppelin bootleg, For Badgeholders Only (part 2) in a used vinyl shop in the early zeros, bought it for $30 or $40 (Canadian, lol). While I eventually tracked down a download of the full concert the vinyl gets more regular play, lol.
    "The world is full of idiots and I am but one of them."

10-30-1991 Toronto, Toronto 1 & 2 2016, Toronto 2022
  • Options
    I love this thread, thanks OP!

Beach Boys Endless Summer was the first non-children’s album I owned (was a gift) and MJ’s Thriller was the first album I bought with my own money so those are both very close to my heart and have received regular play over the years.

As an adult, I stumbled across a Led Zeppelin bootleg, For Badgeholders Only (part 2) in a used vinyl shop in the early zeros, bought it for $30 or $40 (Canadian, lol). While I eventually tracked down a download of the full concert the vinyl gets more regular play, lol.
    I knew a person that would buy any Led Zep boot he could find.  He had shows that were never released, albums with the full banter of the band.

He would tell me stories about the records.  One of them included Robert Plant asking the crowd "is there anyone NOT on ludes tonight?"
  • Options

No UFO pic. This is the inside of gatefold. That’s it. Nothing else but the record. 
    Love it.  I'm curious to find out more about this record now.
  • Options

Here’s an article that talks a little bit about it

https://www.revolvermag.com/culture/white-whale-vinyl-queens-stone-ages-debut-one-got-away
  • Options

Here’s an article that talks a little bit about it

https://www.revolvermag.com/culture/white-whale-vinyl-queens-stone-ages-debut-one-got-away
    I need to find some info that is anything but discogs quotes.