Options

What is your most prized vinyl record in your collection?

Croos1226Croos1226 philly burbs Posts: 336
I got this idea from pearljammer78's post about discogs, but I don't have an account so I thought this might be an alternate way to share.
I hope you don't mind pearljammer78.
So, I guess i'll start thing off...
The Who - Tommy - Track first pressing, laminated cover with numbered booklet. 
OK, who's next?...pun fully intended!

Comments

• Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    edited August 2020
    I have a white album.
    A hand down from my mom.  In awful condition but with cleaning it plays.  
    Have a Sgt Peppers from her as well.
    Love that she played them when they originally came out.

Also, a Ten, OG, unopened.  Was a gift from a group here as part of the Holy Grail series.  

Post edited by F Me In The Brain on
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 6,930
    I guess Benaroya given its value and scarcity. Thats the one I'd save in a fire. 

The most sentimental to me are The Beach Boys Christmas album and Endless Summer. They were my Dads and I have countless memories tied to them. 

I also have a six eyed mono pressing of Kind of Blue. Sleeve is from a library, but the record is pristine. For some reason thats really special to me as well despite having no emotional resonation with me (other than the music).

• Options
    Edved82Edved82 Ireland Posts: 1,251
    edited August 2020
    Got some 70s era Zep and Floyd pressings which are nice. I also have the Rearviewmirror 4LP set which I believe is quite rare these days.
    Post edited by Edved82 on
    "...though my problems are meaningless....that don't make them go away...."
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,502
    An original "Meet the Beatles" pressing, still sounds great.
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 7,783
    Nice thread op

Changes...

I love my verbal assault 'learn' test pressing.
    I got it from nyc as a kid. Didn't know what a tp was. But now I do.

My warped misfits evilive. Had it forever and recently had Doyle sign it.

Black Flag-loose nut

Septic Death-now that I have your attn-just love the jacket-pushead-he also is the lead screamer!

Manowar-battle hyms

• Options
    Also...
    My Maiden Japan.
    Won it on the boardwalk down the jersey shore. 
    I stuck a quater in a number. They spun the wheel and I won. 
    What a charmed life I've lived. The records are proof, they spark memories otherwise buried. Powerful stuff.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,751
    my next purchase.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    Good one^^^^
  • Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,385
    edited August 2020
    Most prized are the ones that were my Dad's. Aside from those....
    - OP of George Harrison All Things Must Pass 
    -OP of No Code
    -OP of Wildflowers
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,640
    edited August 2020
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    Love all things must pass. Picked that up for dirt cheap not too long ago. Has poster. 'Beware of Darkness'  deep stuff...and a good reminder.
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,655
    My original copy of Thriller that the garbage man had to take because I wore it out when I was 3. I may not have it now but it started my music obsession and I aptly said "garbage man took my Beat It!" 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,177
    Good topic.

I have a lot of valuable records and box sets. Pearl Jam Benny and Beatles mono box come to mind, among others, but my mother-in-law passed suddenly and unexpectedly about 4 years ago near Thanksgiving time. Unbeknownst to my wife and I, she had already purchased and wrapped Christmas gifts. We opened them at Christmas, as hard as it was. She ended up buying the Limited/numbered MOFI pressing of Weezer’s blue album for me. When I looked at the number on the back, it was the year she was born, 1954. Super freaky. That album is definitely the most cherished in my collection because of that.
  • Options
    deadendpdeadendp Northeast Ohio Posts: 10,434
    Good topic.

I have a lot of valuable records and box sets. Pearl Jam Benny and Beatles mono box come to mind, among others, but my mother-in-law passed suddenly and unexpectedly about 4 years ago near Thanksgiving time. Unbeknownst to my wife and I, she had already purchased and wrapped Christmas gifts. We opened them at Christmas, as hard as it was. She ended up buying the Limited/numbered MOFI pressing of Weezer’s blue album for me. When I looked at the number on the back, it was the year she was born, 1954. Super freaky. That album is definitely the most cherished in my collection because of that.
    That is a wonderful story to go with the surprise gift after death. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,709
    Good topic.

A very touching story.  I'm sorry to hear about your mom.

Great thread!

Though not the most expensive by any means, my most prized records is a copy of John Mayall and the Bluesbreakers, Crusade.    Back in my college days from 1969 to 1973, one of my very best friends, Jim B., and I each had our own copy of that record.  After sharing a house with him and a couple other guys, we eventually went separate ways.  Somehow, in the mix of things, our copies of that LP got switched.  I still have his copy on which he had neatly printed his name on the back top of the sleeve. 

A few years ago, I thought, "Hey, I should look up Jim."  I did a search on-line and found, much to my dismay, that he had died of cancer in (I believe it was) his early 50's.  So that little reminder of Jim is an irreplaceable treasure.

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    darthvedderdarthvedder Posts: 2,474

• Options
    Great thread guys! Love reading these. I only got into vinyl recently and have gone a little crazy with it (just don't tell my wife how much I spend), but my most prized is the first one I bought - Pearl Jam Live at Easy Street RSD Edition bought at Easy St Records when I randomly happened to walk past the store on a trip to Seattle last year (from the UK to visit family). It was such a fun experience made even better by being there with my 1 year old. The only annoying thing was I saw someone on here post a photo taken with Eddie in the store literally a week to the day later - if only I had delayed my trip! Anyway, nothing that special about the record itself but such great memories.
  • Options
    BIGDaddyWilBIGDaddyWil Michigan Posts: 3,032
    Tool - Aenima
    Pearl Jam - Benny
    Pearl Jam - Lost Dogs
    The Beatles - Mono Box Set
    Steely Dan - Aja
    Pine Knob Music Theatre - Jul 31, 1992 Crisler Arena - Mar 20, 1994
    Summerfest - Jul 09, 1995*Savage Hall - Sep 22, 1996The Palace of Auburn Hills-Aug 23, 1998 Breslin Center- Aug 18, 1998,The Palace of Auburn Hills-Oct 07, 2000 DTE Energy Theatre-Jun5,2003,DTE Energy Music Theatre - Jun 26, 2003Sports Arena - Oct 02, 2004 Van Andel Arena - May 19, 2006Palace of Auburn Hills-May 22, 2006 Quicken Loans Arena-May 09, 2010
    10-16-2014 Detroit
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,141
    Benny
    All the X-Mas Singles
    Almost Famous - Untitled - Soundtrack
    Tom Petty Wildflowers
    Live on Two Legs
    Lost Dogs
    Audioslave - Revelations
    AIC - Facelift on Tripod
    Soundgarden - Superunknown - Original orange press
    Smashing Pumpkins - Siamese Dream - Original orange press

Stuff I bought when I was younger, that is kind of rarer now.

• Options
    mickeyratmickeyrat up my ass, like Chadwick was up his Posts: 35,751
    bought a nm copy of og indy pressing of rise and fall of ziggy stardust today.....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
  • Options
    edited September 2020
    I live on the other side of the country from my parents.  4 or 5 yrs ago i was trying to find a clear copy of David Bowie’s Blackstar.   Barnes and Noble exclusive.  My local store held a copy for me and then sold it to an employee as i drove there.  I called another store, had a person try to find copies.  None in my state.  Then he said “yeah the only copy showing in our entire system is all the way at so and so.  So 2000 miles from you”(An hour from my parents!).

Called my dad.  My dad left work, drove an hour to a Barnes and Noble, and purchased the very last copy at any Barnes and Noble in America lol.

never selling that thing. My dad is the man.   
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617
    I live on the other side of the country from my parents.  4 or 5 yrs ago i was trying to find a clear copy of David Bowie’s Blackstar.   Barnes and Noble exclusive.  My local store held a copy for me and then sold it to an employee as i drove there.  I called another store, had a person try to find copies.  None in my state.  Then he said “yeah the only copy showing in our entire system is all the way at so and so.  So 2000 miles from you”(An hour from my parents!).

Called my dad.  My dad left work, drove an hour to a Barnes and Noble, and purchased the very last copy at any Barnes and Noble in America lol.

That is cool!

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    eeriepadaveeeriepadave West Chester, PA Posts: 40,862
    pjpjpaul said:
    My original copy of Thriller that the garbage man had to take because I wore it out when I was 3. I may not have it now but it started my music obsession and I aptly said "garbage man took my Beat It!" 

I still have mine. It's in bad shape though, scratches obviously and I colored the inside "booklet" with markers. I was 10 :lol:
    I also have Bruce Springsteen's Born in the USA (original copy, I think). That one is in better condtion

bf959b1f-9b77-457c-baf8-038776f33339_zps8a6a389d.jpg?t=1365722973
    8/28/98- Camden, NJ
    10/31/09- Philly
    5/21/10- NYC
    9/2/12- Philly, PA
    7/19/13- Wrigley
    10/19/13- Brooklyn, NY
    10/21/13- Philly, PA
    10/22/13- Philly, PA
    10/27/13- Baltimore, MD
    Tres Mts.- 3/23/11- Philly
    Eddie Vedder- 6/25/11- Philly
  • Options
    I've got every damn PJ record so pick any one of those but my most prized is a recent add on.

QOTSA Self Titled.
  • Options

That is cool!

Thanks!  He never even questioned why his 30 something year old kid was asking him to drive an hour to buy a record lol.  

I still havent forgiven my local Barnes and Noble.  An employee knew it was going for $400 and took the copy they had behind the counter with my name on it.  They basically told me that word for word. 
  • Options
    Zod said:
    Benny
    All the X-Mas Singles
    Tom Petty Wildflowers
    Live on Two Legs
    Lost Dogs
    Audioslave - Revelations
    AIC - Facelift on Tripod

Is wildflowers the OG or the reissue?
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    Zod said:
    Benny
    All the X-Mas Singles
    Tom Petty Wildflowers
    Live on Two Legs
    Lost Dogs
    Audioslave - Revelations
    AIC - Facelift on Tripod

Reissue is the superior one.  The original is digital.  I expect the new box coming to be analog like the 16.
  • Options
    mrussel1mrussel1 Posts: 28,629
    - pair of original US Exile on Main Street both NM
    - Coltrane Blue Train 45
    - Coltrane Blue Train SRX
    - Some Girls original Monarch (the only good version I’ve found)
    - Wildflowers reissue
  • Options
    ZodZod Posts: 10,141
    Zod said:
    Benny
    All the X-Mas Singles
    Tom Petty Wildflowers
    Live on Two Legs
    Lost Dogs
    Audioslave - Revelations
    AIC - Facelift on Tripod

OG.  One of the owners of a local record store sold it to me a number of years back.  Was superstoked when he called me about it.