Newark 2010

2»

Comments

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    tdawe said:
    tdawe said:
    10+ years later, and I'm still fascinated by how this show is considered and rated. That the quiet crowd/building affects how "good" the show was is such an interesting - and terribly subjective - metric to me. I'd take that setlist any day. Where it falls in that overall tour - especially after Hartford and Boston and before those 2 MSGs - doesn't do it any favors, either.
    Any way of considering and rating a rock concert is going to be “terribly subjective” my man. 
    Right, but putting such subjective weight on the subjectivity of the crowd that night will always be funny to me, especially in regards to this show. I don't know another show where the crowd is so intertwined to the overall negative perception of the show like this one.
    That’s because it was a total outlier in terms of the crowd energy. Eddie himself commented on it at the encore break (“You guys are quiet, but that’s okay, that’s just your way...”).
    100% agree.  Great set but towards to the bottom for me.  
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • tdawetdawe Posts: 2,089
    mcgruff10 said:
    tdawe said:
    tdawe said:
    10+ years later, and I'm still fascinated by how this show is considered and rated. That the quiet crowd/building affects how "good" the show was is such an interesting - and terribly subjective - metric to me. I'd take that setlist any day. Where it falls in that overall tour - especially after Hartford and Boston and before those 2 MSGs - doesn't do it any favors, either.
    Any way of considering and rating a rock concert is going to be “terribly subjective” my man. 
    Right, but putting such subjective weight on the subjectivity of the crowd that night will always be funny to me, especially in regards to this show. I don't know another show where the crowd is so intertwined to the overall negative perception of the show like this one.
    That’s because it was a total outlier in terms of the crowd energy. Eddie himself commented on it at the encore break (“You guys are quiet, but that’s okay, that’s just your way...”).
    Last time I saw this show discussed on here, I threw on the boot on the way home from work (ah, the good old days) and was rocking out so hard to Go that I missed my train stop and was almost late picking up my kids. The boot rules! But for me, my actual live experience of this show is at the bottom of my list, maybe second to last depending on how you count Central Park 2015. 
    Camden 2 2006, Newark 2010, Barclays 2 2013, Central Park 2015, MSG 2 2016, Wrigley 1 2016, Rome 2018, Prague 2018, Asbury Park 2021, EV & Earthlings NYC 1 2022, MSG 2022, Louisville 2022, Dublin 2024, MSG 1 2024, MSG 2 2024
  • tdawe said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tdawe said:
    tdawe said:
    Last time I saw this show discussed on here, I threw on the boot on the way home from work (ah, the good old days) and was rocking out so hard to Go that I missed my train stop and was almost late picking up my kids. The boot rules! But for me, my actual live experience of this show is at the bottom of my list, maybe second to last depending on how you count Central Park 2015. 
    That is a *perfect* way to contextualize/distill reactions - and my reaction to them - here; thank you.
    PJx69
    EVx11
    tdawe said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    tdawe said:
    tdawe said:
    This show, Hershey 03, Hartford 06 and Central Park are at the bottom of the barrel for me.  
    I felt like the crowd finally woke up during go.  
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,769
    on2legs said:
    I loved this show.  Had great fan club seats and the set list was awesome.  The crowd wasn't berserk but it also wasn’t dead in my section.  As long as people aren’t being drunk idiots I don’t think other fans really impact my enjoyment of a show.  
    All of this right here ^^^^ (especially the Bold.). 

When I'm asked about some of my BEST PJ shows I mention Newark 2010 in that group of shows . 

For me this was better than BOTH MSG shows.
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,769
    Honestly with all of this talk about the crowd which we know was a big talking point, we try not to address it. There is one point where you can tell from watching the YouTube clip that no one is engaging at all, but there are also points in the boot where you can tell Brett Eliason was able to elevate the crowd noise. And someone in this thread brought up if this set was played at MSG, well some of it was. Insignificance, You Are and Once were all played night 1 and that’s wondering if they did that because they wanted to see if those songs would get a better reaction in a different setting 
    And, maybe that's why some MSG shows are overrated?
  • Sobelberg8Sobelberg8 Posts: 971
    cutz said:
    Honestly with all of this talk about the crowd which we know was a big talking point, we try not to address it. There is one point where you can tell from watching the YouTube clip that no one is engaging at all, but there are also points in the boot where you can tell Brett Eliason was able to elevate the crowd noise. And someone in this thread brought up if this set was played at MSG, well some of it was. Insignificance, You Are and Once were all played night 1 and that’s wondering if they did that because they wanted to see if those songs would get a better reaction in a different setting 
    They are what they are. For every out of this world MSG show there is one that doesn’t click as much because people that go to MSG go to all of the east coast shows, MSG is always expected to be 100% different and that just isn’t the case. There are songs that are automatically always played there and then it’s sometimes a mixture of the rest of the tour. It happens sometimes
    Hi, I host a Pearl Jam Podcast. We go back to some of the classic shows in their history and break down the entire setlist front to back. From historic perspective, to performances, to setlist construction, to fan stories. We do our best to capture the magic that is their live act and help you relive those memories, or if you weren't there, maybe turn you on to a show you've never heard before.

Live On 4 Legs can be found on Apple Podcast, Spotify and any other major podcast platform. But please support our website and check out the episodes archived there. Oh, and the Concertpedia as well (for you Five Horizons and Two Feet Thick fans, we've picked up where they've left off)

http://liveon4legs.com
  • curmudgeonesscurmudgeoness Posts: 3,975
    tdawe said:
    tdawe said:

Yeah, I'm not normally one to judge a show based on the crowd, but this was a dead audience. The weather was terrible; my kids and I had taken the train into Newark and then trudged through the storm to the venue. We were soaked and I, at least, was chilled through.

I thought the set list was great, I thought the opener was very fitting for the day, and frankly I was just thrilled to be there, since we had been shut out of all of the other East Coast shows on that tour. But the crowd definitely had a "we need to get up early for work tomorrow" feel to it, and for the first/ only time at a show I've attended, that lack of engagement -- made an impact, I guess? I certainly gave it all I had (you can hear me scream at the opening notes of "In Hiding" on one of the videos out there, LOL), but I actually felt self-conscious about getting into the show, so many people around us seemed checked-out.
    All those who seek to destroy the liberties of a democratic nation ought to know that war is the surest and shortest means to accomplish it.
    cutz said:
    They are what they are. For every out of this world MSG show there is one that doesn’t click as much because people that go to MSG go to all of the east coast shows, MSG is always expected to be 100% different and that just isn’t the case. There are songs that are automatically always played there and then it’s sometimes a mixture of the rest of the tour. It happens sometimes
    I do agree with this.  People tend to think that msg shows will be the best ever each and every time.  We have had some all time greats (night 2 98, night one 03, night 2 10) but have definitely had some clunkers (08 shows).   It is just further proof that a great pj show can be found anywhere.  
  • TresentPenseTresentPense New York City Posts: 551
    Great show, I listen to this boot all the time. I had 10C seats on MM's side, which I NEVER get, and they were very close/low considering my number (192XXX). You could kind of tell the crowd was weak down low but since my immediate neighbors were all engaged you didn't notice the rest of the joint not pulling their weight as much. Still pissed the scratched 'No Way' that night, but got some other solid songs in the set that made the night memorable (Of The Girl opener, You Are, Brother, Alone). 

I will also always remember this night because of 1) the rain, 2) the $85 gypsy SUV I took to Manhattan after the show, and 3) going to STP @ Gramercy Theater straight from The Rock. STP didn't go on until around 11 (the show was only announced about 10 days prior) so by the time I got there I still managed to catch about half of it (better than nothing, and a hell of a double bill for the night).
    '98: 8/22
    '00: 8/23 8/24 8/25
    '03: 4/30 7/2 7/3 7/8 7/9 7/11
    '04: 10/1
    '06: 5/13 5/27 5/28 6/1 6/3
    '08: 6/24 6/25 6/27 6/28 7/1
    '09: 10/30 10/31
    '10: 5/15 5/18 5/20 5/21 6/25
    '11: 9/3 9/4
    '12: 9/2 9/22
    '13: 7/19 10/18 10/19 10/21 10/22 11/23 11/24
    '14: 10/19
    '15: 9/26
    '16: 4/8 4/9 4/11 4/28 4/29 5/1 5/2 8/5 8/7
    '17: RNRHOF 4/17
    '18: 9/2 9/4
    '21: 9/18
  • RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,465
    Wow seeing stp after is an amazing story. Give me more?

I took my niece and her boyfriend who were PJ rookies. I couldn’t get club seats so we got this VIP box directly across from the stage. Which looked great on paper but felt like a mile. 

I don’t even remember the weather since I didn’t drive but the rock is like 20 minutes from my house. By far the closest to me they have played so I had to be there. 

VIP was crappy wings and no beer but roped off. And beer dripped on the seats up front all night. The girls all hated it and I was able to ignore and enjoy the insane setlist. 

I remember walking in with my empty poster tube after calling to confirm I could bring it they were like no way. So I opened it pretended to push check it and was like dude it’s cardboard. They eventually let me in. Then I got the poster. Sorry. But hard sigh. 

A tough night from entry to seat disappointment. But so many rarities. So happy I was there. If I didn’t go I’d regret it like Eddie at the njpac in 08 when I had a wedding. They are divorced now. I still listen to the bootleg. That means I should have skipped it right? Lol no I shouldn’t have. 

I remember Ed subtly admonishing the crowd Mid song thruout which I could barely see or tell from upstairs. 

But the Tom waits thing was just Eddie being Eddie man. Amazing. He knew they would bruuuuuuuuce. It’s NJ. I hate when my hero admonishes me.  I was at Uniondale too in 03.  Brutal. But man. Angry Eddie is THE SHIT. Amazing bootleg now. 

Growing up I’d listen to my dads record and reel to reel. He had everything and I wished I had been around for van morrison at the filmore. Or zep at the 2shows at the garden on the same day. He was there and has not even a stub or shirt man. God rest his soul. Maybe that’s why I buy everything?

Anyway. PJ is our zep. This show was classic. And I’m proud I was there. It’s rock history. 

And it “sucked” because the rock sound was shit. It wasn’t even the crowds fault. Of my over 100 pj shows only Brendan bern arena ( also 30 minutes from my house)in 98 was worse sounding. I was much closer but it was a disaster. Tons of feedback , stoppages lol oof. And I’ve sat everywhere. 

Anyway classic show. Ed reallllly tries to make u into it and the sound makes it impossible. But man. The boot is the best. Eddie at 110% this night. 
  • PJINFLAPJINFLA Posts: 728

4/22/92 St. Petersburg, 8/23/92 Orlando, 3/29/94 St. Petersburg, 10/7/96 Ft. Lauderdale, 9/8/98 East Rutherford, 9/22/98 West Palm Beach, 9/23/98 West Palm Beach, 8/9/00 West Palm Beach, 8/10/00 West Palm Beach, 8/12/00 Tampa, 4/11/03 West Palm Beach, 4/13/03 Tampa, 6/2/03 Irvine, 6/3/03 Irvine, 9/28/04 Boston, 9/29/04 Boston, 9/1/05 George WA, 9/11/05 Kitchener, 9/12/05 London, 9/13/05 Hamilton, 10/03/05 Philadelphia, 5/16/06 Chicago, 5/17/06 Chicago, 6/23/06 Pittsburgh, 6/24/06 Cincinnati, 6/11/08, West Palm Beach, 6/12/08 Tampa, 6/19/08 Camden, 6/20/08 Camden, 8/23/09 Chicago, 8/24/09 Chicago, 10/27/09 Philadelphia, 10/28/09 Philadelphia, 10/30/09 Philadelphia, 10/31/09 Philadelphia, 5/18/10 New Jersey, 5/20/10 New York, 5/21/10 New York, 9/3/11 East Troy, 9/4/11 East Troy, 9/11/11 Toronto, 9/12/11 Toronto, 9/02/12 Philadelphia, 9/21/12 Pensacola, 7/19/13 Chicago, 10/18/13 Brooklyn, 10/19/13 Brooklyn, 11/23/13 LA, 10/24/13 LA, 11/16/13 Oklahoma City, 10/1/14 Cincinnati, 10/20/14 Milwaukee, 10/22/14 Denver, 4/8/16 Ft. Lauderdale, 4/9/16 Miami, 4/11/16 Tampa, 5/1/16 New York, 5/2/16 New York, 8/5/16 Boston, 8/7/16 Boston, 8/20/16 Chicago, 8/22/16 Chicago, 4/07/17 New York, 8/08/18 Seattle, 8/10/18 Seattle, 8/20/18 Chicago
    9/02/18 Boston, 9/04/18 Boston, 9/11/22 New York, 9/16/22 Nashville, 9/22/22 Denver, 8/31/23, St. Paul, 9/2/23 St. Paul, 9/18/23 Austin, 9/19/23 Austin