Options

Fan Club woes - is there a point any more?

Comments

• Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,064
    Wish they would do away with GA.If the point is to have newer fans get to be closer, lottery in a couple newer fans per row for the first 20 rows on the floor but don't have the whole pit be a lottery, give seniority to get in GA.

I have been a member since 1998. The peak of value for me was 2008 to 2012, I got great seats all the time especially outdoor amphiteatures. Since then seat locations have been getting steadily worse and have generally had no luck getting GAs.  Not cool. I get locked out of GAs and then I'm pushed way back farther in the lower sections than I was 12 years ago. My Fenway tickets on the field were terrible.

Still, is it worth having a membership? Of course it is. Generally (other than Fenway type situations) 10C gets the best tickets, very difficult to get decent tickets through public sales or secondary market.

Selfishly I'm with you, but at this point they clearly dig having a GA section up front. Maybe they like the energy better? Maybe they wanted to democratize things more without abandoning seniority entirely? Maybe they can sell more tickets? Maybe they like driving the demand?

I'm just glad seniority really meant something in my heyday. It was a good run for 15 years or so of incredible seats. Ten Club is still a great value and if it ever isn't I'll just drop it and not sweat it too much.
  • Options
    BentleyspopBentleyspop Craft Beer Brewery, Colorado Posts: 10,542
    edited August 2020
    So far he have membership equals...

1 Panda Express order 
    Or
    2 Chipotle burritos

I look at it as 3 4pks of really good local craft IPAs

Anyone else?
  • Options
    pjl44pjl44 Posts: 8,064

1 Panda Express order 
    Or
    2 Chipotle burritos

Anyone else?
    I must be drinkin' fancy because I can only squeeze 2 4pks out of that
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,132
    Still enjoy the fan club. 10CLUB tickets for me have been great, Jacksonville GA was such an great experience! Super happy when it is concert time with access to tickets.

Good seats at Wrigley and Fenway. Happy with my Gigaton seats (someday next year hopefully!).

Love the band and the music. Would love to have my vinyl now, but it will come eventually. 
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,425

1 Panda Express order 
    Or
    2 Chipotle burritos

Anyone else?
    I believe someone mentioned 3 months of Netflix as well. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    IN BEFORE 

"So, leave.! And I will jump up a spot with my membership number" 

IN BEFORE 

"blah blah market economy. Bla Bla Vote with you wallet"
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • Options
    F Me In The BrainF Me In The Brain this knows everybody from other commets Posts: 30,617

1 Panda Express order 
    Or
    2 Chipotle burritos

Anyone else?
    https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/282280/things-i-spent-40-on-or-how-i-learned-to-stop-worrying-and-love-the-ten-club/p4

The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • Options
    Maybe I'll just pay the annual membership for him this year. 
  • Options
    PJNBPJNB Posts: 12,754
    The amount of tickets the fanclub got from the spring tour alone should tell you that it is worth the $20 alone to stay out of the public sale headache. Good membership number or not it is still worth it imo. I mean I just went to Subway with my wife and 3 kids and spent $50 for one meal. I am pretty surprised people are even talking about the value of this. 
  • Options
    1STmammal2wearPants1STmammal2wearPants Worcester, MA Posts: 2,836
    edited August 2020
    JimmyV said:
    $20 a year for the ticket lottery, message board, any exclusive merch and whatever else gets thrown in. I'm fine with that price for what I get.
    This. The seats since 2003 when I signed up for 10c have been worth the price of admission alone - been blessed to see them in GA in my hometown of Worcester, on the field multiple times at Fenway, 10th row dead center in random lottery, 3rd row for EV, etc....and I've been in the 10c 12 years less than some of the OGs.

I'm also amazed they had a $20 membership for years that included the vinyl. Always been worth the value for me. They've hooked up the fans.
    2003 Mansfield III 
    2004 Boston I 
    2006 Boston I 
    2008 Bonnaroo, Hartford, Mansfield I 
    2010 Hartford 
    2013 Worcester I, Worcester II, Hartford 
    2016 Bonnaroo, Boston I, Boston II 
    2018 Boston I, Boston II 
    2021 Sea.Hear.Now
    2022 Camden
    2024 Boston I, Boston II
  • Options
    CarryTheZeroCarryTheZero Posts: 2,132
    PJNB said:
    The amount of tickets the fanclub got from the spring tour alone should tell you that it is worth the $20 alone to stay out of the public sale headache. Good membership number or not it is still worth it imo. I mean I just went to Subway with my wife and 3 kids and spent $50 for one meal. I am pretty surprised people are even talking about the value of this. 
    Agreed! What has happened to the price of fast food! It’s insane.

My $40 analog is well worth it. I enjoy the shirts and loved being on field at Fenway.  My sports buddy is always jealous. I mean we got to touch the Green Monster, walk the warning track, circle around the diamond, and oh yeah, a 30+ song show. Love being a fan of the band.
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,166
    on2legs said:

1 Panda Express order 
    Or
    2 Chipotle burritos

Anyone else?
    The price of a cocktail in Las Vegas. An uber ride

Seems the complaints are all along the lines of "it's not as valuable as it used to be." But there's no reasonable argument that there's so little value that it's not worth a couple of chipotle burritos or craft beers. 

• Options
    Damn now I am hungry again!
  • Options
    SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    $20??

Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

• Options
    West Coast DreamgirlWest Coast Dreamgirl Posts: 1,819
    edited August 2020
    on2legs said:

1 Panda Express order 
    Or
    2 Chipotle burritos

Anyone else?
    I'm with the Netflix comment, Panda Express sounds groovy. We dont have them in Europe.
    Post edited by West Coast Dreamgirl on
  • Options
    100 Pacer100 Pacer Toronto, ON Posts: 8,512
    PJNB said:
    ^^^this.
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • Options
    RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,193
    on2legs said:

1 Panda Express order 
    Or
    2 Chipotle burritos

Anyone else?
    I'm with the Netflix comment, Panda Express sounds groovy. We dont have them in Europe.
    I’m not disparaging the delightful cuisine of the Panda Express, but I think Europe can get on just fine without it.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    But that’s 50 Canadian dollars, so not sure everyone will understand your point. I do. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• Options
    JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,427
    I have been a member since 1994.......if I amortize the total I have paid in memberships dues by the number of great seats I've been lucky enough to receive, it is the deal of the century!
  • Options
    PJNB said:
    But that’s 50 Canadian dollars, so not sure everyone will understand your point. I do. 
     Ok Ok I spent $36 at Subway lol. 
  • Options
    Long RedLong Red NY Posts: 185
    I let my membership lapse in 2009 and only re-upped this year. I'm glad to be back. Don't really need any gifts.
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding redundant, we just spent $44 at Firehouse Subs for a meal for my wife, our three kids, and myself. Once again, that's more money than any type of Pearl Jam Ten Club membership. 
  • Options
    At the risk of sounding redundant, we just spent $44 at Firehouse Subs for a meal for my wife, our three kids, and myself. Once again, that's more money than any type of Pearl Jam Ten Club membership. 
    Ugh 3 kids is tough. Rough night over here. 2hrs in and still 3 kids up! 
  • Options
    1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    edited August 2020
    It’s worth it to me for the following reasons:

- Vault Vinyl
    - GA tickets

- the cloth masks 😂

Post edited by 1ThoughtKnown on
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,389
    I’m happy with what I get (and will get eventually). 

Also, keep GA. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,771
    edited August 2020
    It is a shame they couldn't have kept the analog at $40 and taken $10 off the vault.

OR...

Since they can do the vault every year with no issue, make the previous single (2019 for example) two songs from the vault released in mid-2020.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • Options
    HughFreakingDillonHughFreakingDillon Winnipeg Posts: 35,831
    edited August 2020
    Zod said:
    The way I feel about it now, is if you have a membership that goes back to maybe the Binaural/Riot Act Tours or older, you probably want to keep renewing, to have better seat location when the band does tour.   If you signed since that time, how much seniority do you really get?  I've been in the club since 98 and it never felt like I gained seniority before GA became a thing.   Old Timers are probably better off keeping their memberships so that if they don't score GA tickets they still get decent seat location.  If your a newer member you could probably get away with wading in and out of memberships.  Rumours usually start going strong before a tour gets officially announced.  All you need to do is sign up when the rumour dates are somewhere you want to go.  I've done that in other bands fan clubs.   Metallica, U2, AC/DC, etc.   Sign up to get fan tix, don't renew kind of thing.   You often get access to great tickets for not much of a premium price.

I would also say if you don't live in a big city that PJ frequents, and you loathe travelling, that maybe you don't need to keep a membership going.   PJ (prior to Covid19) seems to play similar places, so most people need to travel to see them.  If you don't like to travel, it might not be worth $20/yr waiting from them to play your hometown, that they never play.

I feel it's worth $20/yr to me.  I know I don't see them every year, but I usually manage to check out shows every 2 or 3 years.  10c has hooked me up with many tickets over the years.  It seems like a small price to pay for decent tickets when PJ plays.

i live in winnipeg.

played sunfest in gimli in 1993
    next show was 12 years later in 2005
    next show was 6 years later in 2011. 
    next show is at least 10 years later and counting. 

that's it. people who live in the eastern US and the big 3 canadian cities (toronto, vancouver, montreal-all light years away from me), south america, and europe, have it made when it comes to shows. 

i originally joined for the single and deep mags (when you used to get 2 a year), and the excitement they MAY announce a local show, or something close to me. 

i've gotten to know some here over the years, which is part of the reason i stay. i was disappointed when the single was discontinued, but at least it will stop the annual "where's the single?" threads. lol. 

i've let my membership lapse several times since my initial join in 2005, because it really doesn't matter, seniority wise. but i stick around. 

if it's not worth it to you, it's not worth it to you. for me, it's roughly $6 canadian a month to be able to post and have access to exclusive stuff and talk smack. when i leave, i find i miss it after a while. 

if it's all about the ticket access to you (OP) and you don't live somewhere they frequent, that's understandable. but it's really not expensive at all for what you currently get. 
    Post edited by HughFreakingDillon on
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    It’s worth it to me for the following reasons:

- Vault Vinyl
    - GA tickets

- the cloth masks 😂

my wife saw the email confirmation and said "you paid HOW MUCH for pearl jam masks???". who cares. lol
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    It is a shame they couldn't have kept the analog at $40 and taken $10 off the vault.

OR...

Since they can do the vault every year with no issue, make the previous single (2019 for example) two songs from the vault released in mid-2020.
    get rid of the shirts. make the only member item a vault vinyl of your choice from that year, you pay the shipping. 
    Flight Risk out NOW!

www.headstonesband.com

• Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,425

OR...

get rid of the shirts. make the only member item a vault vinyl of your choice from that year, you pay the shipping. 
    Are you posting from that truck stop bathroom?
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore