Options

Riots/Looting/Violence and general post-George Floyd madness

Comments

• Options
    dankinddankind I am not your foot. Posts: 20,827
    I've never lived in a city that didn't like cops, and I've lived in two of the most liberal cities on the East Coast. This just seems like another choose-a-side issue that they've got folks taking the bait on.

Just walking to work, I always see cops on the corner dressed and armed as though they're in a damn war zone. No riots or other unrest really at the time. 

I can also confirm that the public schools in both of these cities are beyond awful.

There's what's real, and there's what's propagandized. I would say and never the twain shall meet, but....
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    mcgruff10mcgruff10 New Jersey Posts: 27,954
    Unreal:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/driver-pulled-truck-beaten-black-144628849.html

Driver Pulled from Truck, Beaten by Black Lives Matter Crowd in Portland Speaks Out

Adam Haner, the driver who was dragged from his pick-up truck and beaten by rioters in Portland last week, is questioning the motives of protestors, saying “they’re exhibiting the same behavior that they’re trying to stop.”

Haner’s comments came during a Saturday appearance on Fox News’ “Watters World” during which he explained that he and his girlfriend, Tammie Martin, had been attempting to aid a woman they saw being robbed when the attack occurred. His good deed left him with black eyes, head lacerations and injuries to his ribs and legs last Sunday.

A crowd of Black Lives Matter and Antifia rioters surrounded Haner’s truck around 10:30 p.m. after he crashed into a light pole at Southwest Broadway and Taylor Street. At least one individual punched him as he sat inside before he was pulled out of the vehicle and attacked.

“I warned everyone to get out of my way when I did start my truck,” Haner said. “I’d been down there long enough. They knew when my truck started, to get out of the way. I was down there for a lengthy amount of time. I managed not to hurt anyone while I was down there, but myself, evidently. I can’t say the same for them.”

Haner called out Democratic mayor Ted Wheeler, who has given into protestors’ demands to defund the police, for the police’s slow response time. He said it took 10 minutes for help to arrive, “kind of a long response time for my issue down there.”

Police had deployed a large law enforcement response and encountered “a hostile crowd,” at the scene, the department said earlier.

Haner then took aim at the rioters, saying, “I thought that’s what they were down there trying to fight, was this kind of behavior toward them, but they’re exhibiting the same behavior that they’re trying to stop.”

He was attacked by a mob of rioters, but the man who allegedly delivered a final crushing kick to Haner, 25-year-old Marquise Love, was arrested Friday and charged with felonious assault, riot participation, and coercion. A video appears to show Love punching Haner several times before kicking his head from behind, knocking him out and causing his head to bleed after it hit the street.

Haner’s attack is the latest in a series of violent demonstrations that have plagued the city and led to the deployment of federal agents — who have since been withdrawn — following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody earlier this summer.

I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    Unreal:
    https://www.yahoo.com/news/driver-pulled-truck-beaten-black-144628849.html

Driver Pulled from Truck, Beaten by Black Lives Matter Crowd in Portland Speaks Out

Adam Haner, the driver who was dragged from his pick-up truck and beaten by rioters in Portland last week, is questioning the motives of protestors, saying “they’re exhibiting the same behavior that they’re trying to stop.”

Haner’s comments came during a Saturday appearance on Fox News’ “Watters World” during which he explained that he and his girlfriend, Tammie Martin, had been attempting to aid a woman they saw being robbed when the attack occurred. His good deed left him with black eyes, head lacerations and injuries to his ribs and legs last Sunday.

A crowd of Black Lives Matter and Antifia rioters surrounded Haner’s truck around 10:30 p.m. after he crashed into a light pole at Southwest Broadway and Taylor Street. At least one individual punched him as he sat inside before he was pulled out of the vehicle and attacked.

“I warned everyone to get out of my way when I did start my truck,” Haner said. “I’d been down there long enough. They knew when my truck started, to get out of the way. I was down there for a lengthy amount of time. I managed not to hurt anyone while I was down there, but myself, evidently. I can’t say the same for them.”

Haner called out Democratic mayor Ted Wheeler, who has given into protestors’ demands to defund the police, for the police’s slow response time. He said it took 10 minutes for help to arrive, “kind of a long response time for my issue down there.”

Police had deployed a large law enforcement response and encountered “a hostile crowd,” at the scene, the department said earlier.

Haner then took aim at the rioters, saying, “I thought that’s what they were down there trying to fight, was this kind of behavior toward them, but they’re exhibiting the same behavior that they’re trying to stop.”

He was attacked by a mob of rioters, but the man who allegedly delivered a final crushing kick to Haner, 25-year-old Marquise Love, was arrested Friday and charged with felonious assault, riot participation, and coercion. A video appears to show Love punching Haner several times before kicking his head from behind, knocking him out and causing his head to bleed after it hit the street.

Haner’s attack is the latest in a series of violent demonstrations that have plagued the city and led to the deployment of federal agents — who have since been withdrawn — following the death of George Floyd in Minneapolis police custody earlier this summer.

Click and then read the link in the section you bolded. 

It sounds like one of the programs he defunded had already been labeled a failure for years, including by the community and two commissioners, and was already earmarked for a slash. The other program was transit cops, who basically enforce fares. The commissioner had also already recommended it for cuts. 

Oh no! 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    bbiggsbbiggs Posts: 6,932
    ^ Beating up innocent, elderly business owners while destructing cities is all part of the process for necessary change.  Didn’t you know? 

In case this needs to be said, yes, I’m being sarcastic. 
  • Options
    dignindignin Posts: 9,303
    bbiggs said:
    ^ Beating up innocent, elderly business owners while destructing cities is all part of the process for necessary change.  Didn’t you know? 

You're not going to find anyone here who thinks that okay, so why the strawman?
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    edited August 2020
    cutz said:
    Fucking deplorable asshats, hope they get assaulted in a similar manner when they are 70.  At least there were a few good people there to help him.
    Post edited by PJPOWER on
  • Options
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:

Looting, burning buildings and destructing is condoned and rationalized all the time here.  
  • Options
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:

Looting, burning buildings and destructing is condoned and rationalized all the time here.  
    I missed the ones about beating up 70 year olds. Maybe point me to those ones, the ones you were making reference too.
  • Options
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:

I missed the ones about beating up 70 year olds. Maybe point me to those ones, the ones you were making reference too.
    Well, maybe if you read my comment, you'd understand that I didn't say anything about "finding anyone here who thinks that's okay."  The point is that if necessary change is the objective, looting, burning, destructing and beating is not the way to accomplish it.  They all go hand in hand these days.

• Options
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:

Well, maybe if you read my comment, you'd understand that I didn't say anything about "finding anyone here who thinks that's okay."  The point is that if necessary change is the objective, looting, burning, destructing and beating is not the way to accomplish it.  They all go hand in hand these days.

Maybe some people can understand but not condone the looting and destruction of property but not the assault on an elderly man (like you have obviously implied as a cheap shot). The two don't have to go hand in hand.  
  • Options
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:

Maybe some people can understand but not condone the looting and destruction of property but not the assault on an elderly man (like you have obviously implied as a cheap shot). The two don't have to go hand in hand.  
    Cheap shot? Kind of like the old man getting sucker punched? I’ve seen a lot of condoning and rationalizing (different from simply understanding) here. Although I can’t understand it either.  When I want to get a positive point across I wouldn’t think burning and stealing is the way to accomplish that. We obviously don’t see eye to eye and that’s okay. I won’t change your point of view and you won’t change mine. 
  • Options
    PJPOWERPJPOWER In Yo Face Posts: 6,499
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:

I, for one, think that anyone that condones looting, destruction of property, or assaulting innocents is an asshat deplorable.
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:

You’re wasting your time. Someone already posted something to the effect of vandals are usually the same people as assaulters. 

As a former vandal who ran with a whole crew of vandals, we never assaulted anyone. We were assaulted by the cops a few times, though, some of us more than others. Some of us still. 

Edit: I should note that as a former vandal, I do not condone vandalism. And as someone who might have shoplifted and burgled more than a few times, I certainly don’t condone looting either. I wouldn’t have come back and added this part if the audience seemed less dense on this matter. But we must remain divided on these issues that we (for the most part) agree on, it seems. 
    Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • Options
    dankind said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:
    dignin said:
    bbiggs said:

You’re wasting your time. Someone already posted something to the effect of vandals are usually the same people as assaulters. 

As a former vandal who ran with a whole crew of vandals, we never assaulted anyone. We were assaulted by the cops a few times, though, some of us more than others. Some of us still. 
    I wasn’t that someone that posted that though. But I would agree that it is wasting time to make me think looters and vandals are good guys just because they don’t beat people. 
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    I'm very particular about what I see as "vandalism".  Ugly graffiti on public places or unwanted on private property, I see as vandalism. 
    But was the scuttling of half the Iceland whaling fleet "vandalism" or environmental protection?

Sea Shepherd UK - Iceland Becomes Rogue Whaling Nation Again

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Ledbetterman10Ledbetterman10 Posts: 16,751
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
    http://wegotshit.blogspot.com
  • Options
    nicknyr15nicknyr15 Posts: 7,872
    Mostly peaceful 
  • Options
    Glorified KCGlorified KC KCMO Native Posts: 2,510
    Change the system and you won’t see the looting.  Same shit different year, wait now it’s a different month.  Then what, different week?  Stop shooting and/or killing unarmed black men.  #blacklivesmatter
    I wish I was a sacrifice, but somehow still lived on.
  • Options
    mace1229mace1229 Posts: 9,040
    Change the system and you won’t see the looting.  Same shit different year, wait now it’s a different month.  Then what, different week?  Stop shooting and/or killing unarmed black men.  #blacklivesmatter
    Yes, the dealership owner and furniture store owner should all stop killing people.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Yes, the dealership owner and furniture store owner should all stop killing people.
    Looting is a by-product of a systemic problem.  So what in the hell is anyone in this thread going to do about looting?  Bring attention to it?  Right.  That will stop it.

The change needs to keep the root cause from happening.  It’s tragic innocent people are affected by looters with bad intentions.  The looters don’t show up without a reason to protest.  Try getting upset at the system and looking for another solution toward senseless violence of police on black lives.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    Looting is a by-product of a systemic problem.  So what in the hell is anyone in this thread going to do about looting?  Bring attention to it?  Right.  That will stop it.

The change needs to keep the root cause from happening.  It’s tragic innocent people are affected by looters with bad intentions.  The looters don’t show up without a reason to protest.  Try getting upset at the system and looking for another solution toward senseless violence of police on black lives.
    It’s a shame that people are looting, rioting, burning down buildings and beating people unconscious under the guise of a protest.
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

And what exactly are you doing change that system?Bringing attention to it? Right. That will change it. 
    2000: Camden 1, 2003: Philly, State College, Camden 1, MSG 2, Hershey, 2004: Reading, 2005: Philly, 2006: Camden 1, 2, East Rutherford 1, 2007: Lollapalooza, 2008: Camden 1, Washington D.C., MSG 1, 2, 2009: Philly 1, 2, 3, 4, 2010: Bristol, MSG 2, 2011: PJ20 1, 2, 2012: Made In America, 2013: Brooklyn 2, Philly 2, 2014: Denver, 2015: Global Citizen Festival, 2016: Philly 2, Fenway 1, 2018: Fenway 1, 2, 2021: Sea. Hear. Now. 2022: Camden

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

It’s a shame that people are looting, rioting, burning down buildings and beating people unconscious under the guise of a protest.
    I don’t disagree, but why call it out?  What difference does it make?
  • Options
    edited August 2020
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

So we’re supposed to be silent on things we disagree with?

And I called it out (or responded to others that did) because it came across as if you condone that behavior by saying “change the system and you won’t see looting.” But it looks I was wrong in thinking that.

But definitely call it out, the violent protestors and rioters are worse than the system they are pretending to protest.
    Post edited by mace1229 on
  • Options
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:
    mace1229 said:

So we’re supposed to be silent on things we disagree with?

And I called it out (or responded to others that did) because it came across as if you condone that behavior by saying “change the system and you won’t see looting.” But it looks like you don’t now.

But definitely call it out, the violent protestors and rioters are worse than the system they are pretending to protest.
    I don’t condone looting, but if not for the system they wouldn’t be compelled to protest or riot.  My first interest is the end of people being approached differently based on the way they look.  More often than not, those issues have festered for decades and even centuries to the point where they boil over and more innocent people are victimized.  I don’t want to see any victims, but in my opinion the system is the issue because it hasn’t changed much since I can remember the LA riots in 1992.  Asking questions in your city about what can be looked at differently so your town doesn’t become another Kenosha, Minneapolis, Ferguson, Baltimore, Los Angeles is what I believe needs to be called out.  

Me bringing to light the devastation of innocent people and business just dwells on the aftermath of the cause.  It detracts from the reason why we are ending up in this situation time and again.  I don’t want to see any of it anymore.  
  • Options
    mace1229 said:

And what exactly are you doing change that system?Bringing attention to it? Right. That will change it. 
    Yeah I do.  I ask questions and try to put pressure on my city to take a look in the mirror. I live 40 miles north of Kenosha, WI and have been glued to the local news the last three nights.  I don’t want the city I live in to be in flames because of the unwarranted violence on black men from police.  I don’t want to see people I know who own small businesses and restaurants in my neighborhood victimized.  Me bitching at rioters isn’t going to prevent my town from getting looted.  My pressure on my justice system to do what it can to prevent senseless violence on black men is what stands a better chance to make a difference.
  • Options
    brianluxbrianlux Moving through All Kinds of Terrain. Posts: 40,792
    The violence, looting, burning can be explained (as some have done here very well).  So in some ways, I get it.  But I sure as hell can't support it.  Targeting people who are not directly and personally responsible for the problems of racism makes zero sense.  I have to look at both sides of it.  I've been reading about shit getting burned to the ground since the 60's.  Has it stopped racism?  Obviously not.  Has it fucked up the lives of people who are just working hard to make a living?  Obviously so. 

I would say to anyone supporting the notion of burning building and businesses as a way to stop racism, they might want to look at both sides.  What has it gained?  NOTHING.

And what if it was your building, your business?  Your years of hard work?  And that's what owning a business is- damn hard work.  Most small business owners work long hours and never really leave the job.  It's what you do.  Sure, some business owners are shysters, rip off artist, maybe blatant racists.  But most are not.  Most are good, hard working, independent people. 

I've been a small-time small business owner for 14 years and even at my level- it's hard work! My wife has been a small business owner for 36 years.  It's hard work.  And we don't live in a McMansion or have disgruntled employees or rip people off.  I personally know several small business owners.  They all fucking work hard.  They're good people.  Yes, the anger is understandable, but the vast majority of these people don't deserve the wrath that is visited upon them. 

Don't use racism as an excuse to fuck up innocent people.  Just don't do it.  More people need to take that energy and work to make change in constructive ways.  Start a fire?  Easy.  BFD.  Pretty much anyone with some gas and a match can do that.  But to make constructive change through strong effort and creativity?  That takes hard work.  DO the HARD work.

LIsten to John.  He knows.  HARD WORK!

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Options
    Shit is out of control. One of the rioters was shot in the head in Kenosha last night:

And there was a madman with an assault-style weapon shooting people. Not sure if it’s the same guy that shot the guy in the first video. But he shoots  two people at short range in this video:

Graphic:
    https://twitter.com/stillgray/status/1298507433975799809?s=21

Just complete and utter fucking chaos. 

Pearl Jam bootlegs:
This discussion has been closed.