Options

Pearl Jam 2020 postponed posters

Comments

• Options
    RS65573RS65573 Posts: 2,391
    you want some blood in the water, lol from a business perspective.
  • Options
    Hey everyone.... I am having my sale on Wednesday at 8 AM Pacific... will be sending out an email tonight, but am still unable to get my facebook page to allow me in, so there most likely will be no post there

I do have a question for you all though..... I wanted to wait for my sale and see what artists were charging because I have been uncertain what is a fair price to charge for these. 

I see the conversation happening in this thread talking about what artists should charge, and am curious to know what you all think is a fair price. 

I have 200 of each, of Nashville and Phoenix.... normally, as most of you are aware, I charge between $60-65...then I watch other artists charge $100... so for the bigger shows, the baseball stadium shows, I figure I can up my prices a little.... but it's a conflict... I want to keep things in the somewhat affordable range, and don't want to price gouge, but then I don't want to leave money on the table either...especially given I have been out of work like many others for the past 5 months and most likely for the rest of the year at least.... so I want to make sure I do right by you all but also take care of myself due to the uncertainty of my profession as a poster artist during a time of no concerts

so I figure I would just ask you all...... I was thinking $85.....what are your thoughts? 

Brad...your art is amazing. I have more than a few and they are some of my favorites. And artist should be able to charge whatever he wants for his art. My contrary thought is that we're are still talking about a concert poster. I'd vote $75 myself. But then Id also like to see you have more to sell in your A/P editions.
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    philobeddoephilobeddoe Kennessee Posts: 192
    Hey everyone.... I am having my sale on Wednesday at 8 AM Pacific... will be sending out an email tonight, but am still unable to get my facebook page to allow me in, so there most likely will be no post there

I do have a question for you all though..... I wanted to wait for my sale and see what artists were charging because I have been uncertain what is a fair price to charge for these. 

I see the conversation happening in this thread talking about what artists should charge, and am curious to know what you all think is a fair price. 

I have 200 of each, of Nashville and Phoenix.... normally, as most of you are aware, I charge between $60-65...then I watch other artists charge $100... so for the bigger shows, the baseball stadium shows, I figure I can up my prices a little.... but it's a conflict... I want to keep things in the somewhat affordable range, and don't want to price gouge, but then I don't want to leave money on the table either...especially given I have been out of work like many others for the past 5 months and most likely for the rest of the year at least.... so I want to make sure I do right by you all but also take care of myself due to the uncertainty of my profession as a poster artist during a time of no concerts

so I figure I would just ask you all...... I was thinking $85.....what are your thoughts? 

I'll take it!
  • Options
    RS65573 said:
    you want some blood in the water, lol from a business perspective.
    for sure... it's a difficult line to find, each poster is different depending on the design and the show.... but you don't want to leave money on the table or posters in the flat files.... you want them all to leave and go to good homes yet not under value things 
  • Options
    JBob87JBob87 Posts: 443

Much respect for asking. In my personal opinion I would rather as much money go to you as possible. $85-100 is totally reasonable.

I hear the other argument about fans/collectors not being able to get them at lower prices...I'm not un-sympathtic to that. Again in my opinion the difference of $20-40 on a let's be real...completely discretionary purchase for fans should not outweigh your ability to earn as much for your work as possible. 

• Options
    405OK405OK Posts: 100

You’re not price gouging at $100 per
    2013 - OKC
    2014 -Tulsa
    2016 - Chicago 1
    2018 - Seattle 1 & 2
    2021 - Ohana I Ohana Encore 1 & 2 
    2022 - Louisville I OKC
    2023 - Ft. Worth 1 & 2 I Austin 1 & 2
  • Options
    Ill buy regardless, your right, its a +$20 discretionary spend. But we all hope over time our things are coveted and valued by others, and I think a lower starting price, gets that necessary pop in the initial sale, which fuels the need later. (OMG you all hold 10 right?!?!?!) And south america was the only problem with those posters. Which i have and like very much. 
  • Options
    CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 2,990
    If I was @bradklausen , I would charge, at minimum, $100 for an AP.  $200 if I knew it was terrific.  It eliminates the people who are buying for the hell of it and it likely trims flipper's profit margin.  I have no problem when my money goes to artists.  I never want my money going to flippers.
  • Options
    CopperTom said:
    If I was @bradklausen , I would charge, at minimum, $100 for an AP.  $200 if I knew it was terrific.  It eliminates the people who are buying for the hell of it and it likely trims flipper's profit margin.  I have no problem when my money goes to artists.  I never want my money going to flippers.

I agree with you philosophically. Flippers are a really low form of life. But $200 is a LOT of money for a concert poster...
    Raleigh, NC., 8/31/98, Charlotte, NC., 8/4/00, Greensboro, NC., 8/6/00, Mountain View, CA., 10/31/00, Raleigh, NC., 4/15/03, Charlotte, NC., 4/16/03, Mountain View, CA., 10/25/03, Asheville, NC., 10/6/04, Philadelphia, PA., 10/3/05, Washington D.C, 5/30/06, Virginia Beach, VA., 6/17/07, Philadelphia, PA., 10/28/09, Charlottesville, VA., 10/29/13, Charlotte, NC., 10/30/13, Memphis, TN., 10/14/14, Greenville, SC., 4/16/16, Hampton, VA., 4/19/16, Raleigh, NC., 4/20/16, Columbia, SC., 4/21/16, Boston, MA., 8/5/16, Boston 9/2/18 & 9/4/18., Nashville, TN., 4/2/20., Nashville, TN., 9/16/22.

EV Solo - Washington, D.C., 8/17/08, Atlanta, GA., 6/24/09, Orlando, FL., 11/27/12.
  • Options
    $200 id be out, and market would be bad. IMO
  • Options
    HesCalledDyerHesCalledDyer Maryland Posts: 16,424

$85 is good for the consumer in that it keeps the total cost with shipping around $100.  With your print run, it also puts you inline with the total sales figure that Ames made in their sale today.  But you're also an OG PJ artist, highly renowned & appreciated by PJ fans, and accessible to us. These things have value in the full customer experience, so you might still be leaving money on the table.  You wouldn't be gouging anyone at $100.
  • Options
    bradklausenbradklausen Posts: 415
    edited August 2020

Brad...your art is amazing. I have more than a few and they are some of my favorites. And artist should be able to charge whatever he wants for his art. My contrary thought is that we're are still talking about a concert poster. I'd vote $75 myself. But then Id also like to see you have more to sell in your A/P editions.
    It is one of the things I always liked about concert posters...it was always affordable art.... loved going to a show and being able to get a poster for $25-35..... I always wanted to try and stick to that mentality.... but that was when I started 16 years ago, and things have changed in the poster world since then... and there's that fun hidden tax we all deal with called inflation and cost of living goes up over time.... a ticket to the movies go from being a nickel (back in my day, "we would wear an onion on our belts, which was the style at the time") to being $15 

• Options
    BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,353
    frisbiec said:

Don't discount your craft. I would say the customer service you provide, along with your art, make $100 a completely reasonable starting point for an AP. 
    $100 is certainly fair. This is your livelihood, and you know the resellers will fetch more than that in minutes. Don't leave money on the table - you've earned every penny of it. Have a nice and healthy week.
  • Options
    Most art is bought and assumed to go up in value over time. If you start at a high price with no ability to resell/profit in 5 years, you'll not do as well. Thats been proved in PJ posters over and over.
  • Options

$85 is good for the consumer in that it keeps the total cost with shipping around $100.  With your print run, it also puts you inline with the total sales figure that Ames made in their sale today.  But you're also an OG PJ artist, highly renowned & appreciated by PJ fans, and accessible to us. These things have value in the full customer experience, so you might still be leaving money on the table.  You wouldn't be gouging anyone at $100.
    the shipping cost seems to go up every year as well.... for tubes anyway... always somewhat amazed at how much shipping a tube domestically is costing now....around $14-17.... that is how much is usually costs to ship to canada, so I am at the mercy of what the USPS determines for pricing on that 
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,164
  • Options
    pjpjpaulpjpjpaul Posts: 1,660

the shipping cost seems to go up every year as well.... for tubes anyway... always somewhat amazed at how much shipping a tube domestically is costing now....around $14-17.... that is how much is usually costs to ship to canada, so I am at the mercy of what the USPS determines for pricing on that 
    Are there any variants or are they just signed and numbered? Thanks Brad. 
    Virginia Beach 2000
    DC 2003
    DC 2004 (VFC)
    DC 2006
    Pittsburgh 2006
    Bonnaroo 2008
    Virginia Beach 2008
    DC 2008
    Philly (Spectrum) 10/31/2009
    DC 2010 (Jiffy Lube Live)
    PJ 20 night 1
    PJ 20 night 2
    Phoenix 2013
    LA 1 2013
    Memphis 2014
    Jacksonville 2016
    Greenville 2016
    Hampton 2016
    Columbia 2016
    Fenway 1 2016
    Fenway 2 2016
    Wrigley 1 2018
    Wrigley 2 2018
    Fenway 1 2018
    Fenway 2 2018
    Sea Hear Now 2021
    Nashville 2022
    Louisville 2022
  • Options
    pjpjpaul said:

no variants... I think only Ames get variants... which makes sense... 
  • Options
    KS80184KS80184 Posts: 388
    pjpjpaul said:

no variants... I think only Ames get variants... which makes sense... 
    Why would Ames get the only variants??

• Options

It is one of the things I always liked about concert posters...it was always affordable art.... loved going to a show and being able to get a poster for $25-35..... I always wanted to try and stick to that mentality.... but that was when I started 16 years ago, and things have changed in the poster world since then... and there's that fun hidden tax we all deal with called inflation and cost of living goes up over time.... a ticket to the movies go from being a nickel (back in my day, "we would wear an onion on our belts, which was the style at the time") to being $15 

I completely understand. You absolutely have a right to make money on the deal and enough money to survive/thrive in your life. I hope I can get one of your A/Ps on Wednesday. It is a STUNNING piece of are...the colors are amazing. How amazing would it look on foil....? ;)

• Options
    PSUS2HPSUS2H USA Posts: 2,049
    Glad yall had another chance to grab the STL print!
    Pittsburgh, PA September 28, 2005 || Washington, DC June 22, 2008 || Barstow, VA May 13, 2010 || Seattle, WA  August 10, 2018 || Dana Point, CA September 29, 2018 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 28, 2019 (EV) || Dana Point, CA September 25, 2021 (EV) || Dana Point, CA October 1, 2021 || Dana Point, CA October 2, 2021 
  • Options
  • Options
    EddieshometownEddieshometown Evanston, IL Posts: 974
    edited August 2020
    Thanks for the head's up!  I just got STL.  It was the supposed to be the show I was going to attend.  Now even the Cubs don't dare go to STL :)
    6/26/98 & 6/27/98 - Alpine Valley, 10/9/00 - Allstate Arena - Rosemont, IL 6/18/2003 - United Center, 5/16/2006 - United Center,
    5/17/2006 - United Center (7th row center, caught Eddie's pick), 6/29/2006 - Summerfest with Tom Petty,
    8/24/2009 - United Center, 7/19/2013 - Wrigley Field, 10/3/2014 - St Louis, 10/17/2014 - Moline (GA), 10/20/2014 - Milwaukee,
    5/14/2015 - Pete Townshend/EV, 8/20/16 & 8/22/16 Wrigley Field Part 2&3, 8/18/18 & 8/20/18 Wrigley Parts 4 & 5, 9/18/2022 - St Louis
  • Options
    NoCode416NoCode416 Posts: 416

Please charge more! I suspect it would increase my chances of getting your Nashville print and not having to think about ebay.  Cheers and thanks.  Oh - I saw a guy at the grocery store recently wearing a tshirt of your 2006 DC print.
  • Options
    JedJed New York City Posts: 1,164
    I'm shocked St. Louis sold out in 15 minutes. Didn't they print enough to sell to an arena?
  • Options
    KS80184KS80184 Posts: 388
    demetrios said:

So much for the multiple thousands available theory...

Thanks @demetrios for the head's up in this thread.  Helped me snag one.
  • Options
    Jed said:
    I'm shocked St. Louis sold out in 15 minutes. Didn't they print enough to sell to an arena?
    That's what I assumed too.