Opinions on the PJ collectible market

Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,271
Just  curious about peoples thoughts on the long term PJ collectibles market. Will it jump up when they start playing again? Will it crash when they stop for good? 
 Best time to buy, best time to sell? Questions like that.
UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13

Comments

• HollisBrownHollisBrown Posts: 4,325
    Buy low, sell high
    TRANSPLANTS SAVE LIVES
    www.UNOS.org
    Donate Organs and Save a Life
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Been a steady climb for years and years but in 10 or 20 yrs will it still exist?   Who knows.  

Their fanbase is getting into the perfect age group to keep this climbing.

• LoujoeLoujoe Posts: 9,032
    Sure in about 20 years no one will be paying 1000 for a kong or any poster. Maybe more like 100. 
    Those old shirts that I wore to death in the 90s seem to be selling for a lot now!
    Sell your pj stuff and invest in cabbage patch dolls or beanie babies.

• hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    The less relevant they become, the lower the value, as demand will plummet.  Most of us old fucks,  have what we have been seeking for years, as we are impatient.  Think how prices are  highest within 2 years  of a tour as everyone flips shit, buys what they missed.   Some stuff rises as no one is glipping it and a lot of people want it, but at some point people willing to pay 1200 for a Munk Pitt will dissapate.  Yes here and there some  will finally get the resources to get that grail, but not enough to drive a ever growing market price.  At some point sanity overcomes seller greed.
  • CopperTomCopperTom Posts: 3,013
    Like all bands, once it's over, the merch quickly spikes upward, then begins the long and permanent decline.
  • 1ThoughtKnown1ThoughtKnown Posts: 6,155
    Been a steady climb for years and years but in 10 or 20 yrs will it still exist?   Who knows.  

This^^^
  • TH113769TH113769 Posts: 439

This^^^
    I agree - it's a perfect demographic with a lot of disposable income for some.  I think stuff will continue to climb and it has for a lot of bands, not just PJ, as vinyl, posters and other music memorabilia continue to escalate (sports memorabilia is also freaking nuts right now). There is a mindset that you can't "lose money", so people are cool spending a grand on a poster and sticking it in a portfolio or hanging it knowing it can be sold if needed, often times a lot more than what was paid.  Like all markets, it will be interesting once there is some softness in the market as that could really drive down some prices on things fast.    
    92 - Phoenix; 93 - Mesa; 95 - Phoenix; 98 - Phoenix; 2000- Phoenix; 2003 - San Diego, Las Vegas, Phoenix; 2006 - Denver 1, Denver 2, Las Vegas, San Diego;  2009 - Chicago 1, Chicago 2, San Diego; 2013 - Phoenix, San Diego, LA 1, LA 2, Portland, Spokane, Calgary, Vancouver, Seattle; 2014 - Detroit, Moline, Milwaukee, Denver; 2016 - Ft Lauderdale, Miami, Tampa, Jacksonville, Wrigley 1 and 2; 2018 - Amsterdam 1&2, Pinkpop, London1, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Werchter, Barca, Missoula, Chicago 1&2, Boston 1&2.
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,452
    It’s not going anywhere but up for at least the next 10 years imo 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • BF89905BF89905 Posts: 1,408
    I think there's less people going after the stuff than five - ten years ago. However, some people going after this stuff are willing to pay a lot of money. 

I bought my first poster online from a fan in 2011 - under $100 and mainly did trades with fellow forum members. I stopped in 2016. I had about twenty. A friend helped me sell four of them online recently for an amount that back in 2011 would have knocked me over. I couldn't pass it up.

Enter family life and priorities change real quick. I still like a small number of the artwork prints, but unless the stuff is readily available, I won't be making time for it. It's a fad unlike the band's music for me, which will always be one of my first considerations when I turn on music.

Be well everyone

edited July 2020
    Im not sure if there’s less people.  It sure feels like more.  It looks like more. 

All of Munk One’s 2011 EV posters were available on his site for 20 minutes or more when they went on sale. AP’s.  Chicago black and white, Seattle Market, Minneapolis Native American.   Those would go in less than a second today.   I won’t even bring up Emek lol.  I dont know if Add to Cart exists on his site. Ive never seen it :lol:  

Even ugly posters from recent tour dates sell out in seconds today.  It’s nuts.  If it has PJ written on it everyone wants it 
    Post edited by cp3iverson on
  • Brane_of_JFKBrane_of_JFK Posts: 1,901
    BF89905 said:
    I think there's less people going after the stuff than five - ten years ago. However, some people going after this stuff are willing to pay a lot of money. 

I bought my first poster online from a fan in 2011 - under $100 and mainly did trades with fellow forum members. I stopped in 2016. I had about twenty. A friend helped me sell four of them online recently for an amount that back in 2011 would have knocked me over. I couldn't pass it up.

Enter family life and priorities change real quick. I still like a small number of the artwork prints, but unless the stuff is readily available, I won't be making time for it. It's a fad unlike the band's music for me, which will always be one of my first considerations when I turn on music.

Be well everyone

I'd respectfully 100% disagree. If anything it's the exact opposite, at least as far as posters go. There has been a huge influx of new poster collectors the last 5-7 years and there is definitely a larger demand than supply. That's not even taking into account posters from 96/98 that are only going to continue to rise because, as someone else already pointed out, the PJ collector demographic as a whole has much more disposable income than when these were released or even as recent as 10-15 years ago. A lot of those older posters were people's first/early shows, and people are willing to pay to get them - myself included ;)
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,836
    edited July 2020

Post edited by dankind on
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    Horse2345 said:
    Just  curious about peoples thoughts on the long term PJ collectibles market. Will it jump up when they start playing again? Will it crash when they stop for good? 
    Seriously, expect the unexpected. Be safe
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Horse2345Horse2345 Posts: 3,271
    densan said:
    Horse2345 said:
    Seriously, expect the unexpected. Be safe
    Lol, just like Big Brother
    UBC 92, Vancouver 93, Vancouver 98, Seattle 02, Vancouver 03, Vancouver 05, Gorge 06, Gorge 06,Seattle 09,Seattle 09, Vancouver09, Montreal 11, Toronto 11,Toronto 11, Vancouver 11,Vancouver 13, Seattle 13
  • bobhopebobhope Posts: 67
    I just pulled one of my poster flat files to show my son some of the hundreds of posters I have amassed, not having looked at (unframed) ones for years.  So it got my curiosity going, and I checked on ebay and here and espresso beans for the first time in forever.  I cant wait to tell my wife I was right!  I cant believe the prices people are paying.  2003s for hundreds?  98s in the thousands!  Insane but awesome.

• SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    bobhope said:
    I just pulled one of my poster flat files to show my son some of the hundreds of posters I have amassed, not having looked at (unframed) ones for years.  So it got my curiosity going, and I checked on ebay and here and espresso beans for the first time in forever.  I cant wait to tell my wife I was right!  I cant believe the prices people are paying.  2003s for hundreds?  98s in the thousands!  Insane but awesome.

Selling? 
  • bobhopebobhope Posts: 67
    I will get back to you.  I have to catalogue what the heck I even have and which ones spark joy and which ones don't, if any.  I would definitely do it here if I do - seems like everyone works together well

edited August 2020
    Ive been considering selling some grail type stuff.  Purchasing a vehicle soon and i could use the downpayment cash.  We’ll see.  
    Ive been considering selling some grail type stuff.  Purchasing a vehicle soon and i could use the downpayment cash.  We’ll see.  
    If you have an actual metal Yield sign or desktop basketball hoop, keep me in mind ;)
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    My own personal view on this, which I know is unique, is that we should collect these things and enjoy them for what they are. The resale market in the future is just irrelevant to me. I buy and collect because I love it, if I ever HAVE to sell it'll all be worth what it is, its just not a driving factor to me at all
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    I was thinking about this recently..

Long term - the older we get, more and more collectibles end up in the hands of the people that hunted and intend on keeping them. As that happens, fewer items are up for grabs, and demand/price spike.

However, tour time is always a short term boom/bust. People sell of some of their collection to fund a tour, while others seize the opportunity. 

Factor in the fact that we're not 18 and have (relatively speaking) a few bucks to spare...
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

pdalowsky said:
    My own personal view on this, which I know is unique, is that we should collect these things and enjoy them for what they are. The resale market in the future is just irrelevant to me. I buy and collect because I love it, if I ever HAVE to sell it'll all be worth what it is, its just not a driving factor to me at all
    I'm with you.  I possess no item simply because it's valuable or will be valuable.
  • inmytree1380inmytree1380 Posts: 155
    edited August 2020
    I don’t see the price of hard-to-find posters (98’s, Cracker Jack, Pittsburgh 2013) coming down for a long time. Pearl Jam’s fan base is getting older and some have disposable income to buy grails.  

I started collecting posters in 2000. Buying posters from the Yield and Binaural tours weren’t an issue. In 2001, I bought the Ames Pittsburgh ‘98 on eBay for $90. 

And, in 2011, I bought several signed Eddie Vedder Munk One posters from hits site and eBay for less than $140.

I really noticed a spike in poster collectors in 2013 with the Wrigley and Pittsburgh shows. The demand far outweighed the supply for those shows. And EV solo shows (which are smaller affairs with limited sales) withstanding, I don’t see too many PJ posters going for insane amounts going forward because of the increased supply (not counting AP and variants). For example, Emek’s poster for Philly 2016 is a masterpiece, but unsigned copies go for about $190 on eBay because the supply was more than tours of the past. If that poster had come out on an earlier tour, it would go for insane amounts because the supply would be less.
    Post edited by inmytree1380 on
    2000: Pittsburgh
    2003: Pittsburgh
    2004: Toledo
    2005: Pittsburgh
    2006: Cleveland, Pittsburgh
    2008: D.C.
    2009: Toronto, Philly IV
    2010: Cleveland
    2011: East Troy I & II
    2013: Pittsburgh, Buffalo, Baltimore
    2014: Austin I
    2016: Fort Lauderdale, Hampton, Philly II, Chicago II
    Yeah maybe it was Wrigley that started this current insanity. 
    Like i said, 2011 you had some legendary APs that took an hour to sell out on Munk’s site.  

It was crazy before for Emeks and some 98s, but everything took off in this last decade. 

I remember in 1998 it was common to trade cassette bootlegs for 98 posters.  Soccer jerseys, etc.  in 1998 i stood in a line of 10 people for a poster lol
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,216
    Yeah maybe it was Wrigley that started this current insanity. 
    Like i said, 2011 you had some legendary APs that took an hour to sell out on Munk’s site.  

It was crazy before for Emeks and some 98s, but everything took off in this last decade. 

I remember in 1998 it was common to trade cassette bootlegs for 98 posters.  Soccer jerseys, etc.  in 1998 i stood in a line of 10 people for a poster lol
    I like to torture myself and pull out the old newsletters where I could have ordered 2 of every 96 and 98 with a check and postage stamp
  • mookieblalockmookieblalock Posts: 3,243
    I got a Mansfield ‘98 AFTER the second night show because they were sold out of the soccer jersey I wanted. There was a huge stack of them left. I promptly got back to my college dorm that night and tacked it to the wall and threw it out 9 months later when I went home for the summer.
  • I got a Mansfield ‘98 AFTER the second night show because they were sold out of the soccer jersey I wanted. There was a huge stack of them left. I promptly got back to my college dorm that night and tacked it to the wall and threw it out 9 months later when I went home for the summer.
    That was me in nyc 96.  After I crowd surfed while holding it and got it covered in rain I tacked it to my wall. I’m amazed that some people had the smarts to keep them in such good condition back then
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.