For those of you with back issues

It's way past time to replace our mattress; the fucker is almost 30 years old.

I have arthritis in my back that can get pretty severe, and have heard the pros and cons of firm vs. soft (not a euphemism).  We just want something simple - not adjustable - and good quality.

What say you?  Feel free to talk prices, too.  I figure it should be around $1,000 - $1,500, give or take.

Thank you in advance!

Comments

• dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    I lived with back pain every day until I bought a Saatva mattress (luxury firm). Pain free ever since, except for those nights when I get pushed to the edge of the bed by a seven-year-old who refuses to grow the fuck up and stay in his own room.
    I SAW PEARL JAM
  • tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,076
    I paid $3000 for a memory foam mattress and it was last years model at a discount.  It is worth every damn penny.

Do not purchase something cheap or lower grade.  Buy something that is great.

My partner and I sleep very well on our mattress.
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    dankind said:
    I lived with back pain every day until I bought a Saatva mattress (luxury firm). Pain free ever since, except for those nights when I get pushed to the edge of the bed by a seven-year-old who refuses to grow the fuck up and stay in his own room.
    Huh.  Thought that said Sativa at first ;)

I just looked it up; great reviews and seems reasonable.

Thank you, sir.

I paid $3000 for a memory foam mattress and it was last years model at a discount.  It is worth every damn penny.

Does it provide adequate support for your back?  The only memory foam item I use is a lumbar pillow.

Also, I sleep on my side, if that makes any difference.
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    dankind said:
    You shouldn't let ed243421 sleep over so much.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • deadendpdeadendp Posts: 10,434
    We have a standard pillow top mattress that is pillow top on both top and bottom. Handmade in Amish Country. Paid maybe $1100 for the set and it is wonderful. 
    2014: Cincinnati
    2016: Lexington and Wrigley 1
  • dankinddankind Posts: 20,834
    hedonist said:

Does it provide adequate support for your back?  The only memory foam item I use is a lumbar pillow.

I'm a side sleeper, too. Saatva, luxury firm, I'm telling you! I think Saatva even has a trial period, though maybe not so these days.

And memory foam is for assholes. The fact that Chris sleeps on memory foam only proves this point. And I think you'd agree that your lumbar region is also an asshole, yes? (I mean there a point when something like that moves beyond being a pain in the ass to being an asshole. When you're buying special pillows and devoting threads to it on a rock band's fan club forum, I think you've crossed that threshold.)

Point is you're not an asshole, are you, Jedi? 

I SAW PEARL JAM
  • ed243421ed243421 Posts: 7,653
    Poncier said:
    dankind said:
    You shouldn't let ed243421 sleep over so much.

The whole world will be different soon... - EV
    RED ROCKS 6-19-95
    AUGUSTA 9-26-96
    MANSFIELD 9-15-98
    BOSTON 9-29-04
    BOSTON 5-25-06
    MANSFIELD 6-30-08
    EV SOLO BOSTON 8-01-08
    BOSTON 5-17-10
    EV SOLO BOSTON 6-16-11
    PJ20 9-3-11
    PJ20 9-4-11
    WRIGLEY 7-19-13
    WORCESTER 10-15-13
    WORCESTER 10-16-13
    HARTFORD 10-25-13

• PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,651
    :lol:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • lastexitlondonlastexitlondon Posts: 13,493
    I love this  thread 
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

I'm a side sleeper, too. Saatva, luxury firm, I'm telling you! I think Saatva even has a trial period, though maybe not so these days.

And memory foam is for assholes. The fact that Chris sleeps on memory foam only proves this point. And I think you'd agree that your lumbar region is also an asshole, yes? (I mean there a point when something like that moves beyond being a pain in the ass to being an asshole. When you're buying special pillows and devoting threads to it on a rock band's fan club forum, I think you've crossed that threshold.)

I can be an asshole at times, but I'm not an asshole!  My lumbar, however, is a motherfucking asshole more often than not.

Saatva does have a 120-day trial period and personal setup.  I'm leaning this way more and more.

And yes, fellow sidesleeper, I am so beyond the threshold.  Good thing I just placed a dispensary order.  Gotta use those resources to their fullest.

Poncier, =)
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,686
    Several years ago I got the Serta Icomfort hybrid. It is a combo of springs and memory foam. I like a super firm mattress, so this was great. At the time I didn't want to go full memory foam since I heard they can get hot. I think the newer memory foam technology allows for some cooling now though. That Saatva looks great though. I will have to keep it in mind.
  • dankind said:
    hedonist said:

It warms the place where my heart used to be to see that again.

I would love to get a new bed I like but until I decide I want to sleep in a different bed than my wife I am stuck with back pain every single morning.  She doesnt like the sleep number idea.  Might end up getting two queens and lining them up next to another.
    I limp to the bathroom.
    Running has really helped but still....every damn morning, can hardly walk straight until I either stretch things out or get a hot shower.
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,290
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

This list might very well be the most accurate list on these forums. :rofl:

That said, I must agree with Tempo. Like you Hedo, I too have a longstanding issue with lower back pain. I am also a side sleeper. We finally got a memory foam about 5 years ago. Before Tempurpedic even offered (I think) a cooling model. I was very skeptical of going with a memory foam and especially with the Tempurpedic brand as I heard they were hot. 

5 years later, I have zero complaints. Maybe I should have opted for the adjustable base or gotten a California king size. But otherwise, bo complaints at all and the back is honestly better overall. 

"A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

This list might very well be the most accurate list on these forums. :rofl:

That said, I must agree with Tempo. Like you Hedo, I too have a longstanding issue with lower back pain. I am also a side sleeper. We finally got a memory foam about 5 years ago. Before Tempurpedic even offered (I think) a cooling model. I was very skeptical of going with a memory foam and especially with the Tempurpedic brand as I heard they were hot. 

5 years later, I have zero complaints. Maybe I should have opted for the adjustable base or gotten a California king size. But otherwise, bo complaints at all and the back is honestly better overall. 

Gah!  Way to throw a wrench into my Saatva plans =)

Did any of you try the mattresses (i.e., in the store) prior to purchasing?  I'm trying to avoid that part of the process.
  • darwinstheorydarwinstheory Posts: 6,290
    Well, the girlfriend laid on one of the floor models and was hooked. I took her word for it.
    "A smart monkey doesn't monkey around with another monkey's monkey" - Darwin's Theory
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,798
    Well the only back issues I've had are pinched nerves, two times in my life they have laid me up for 4+ days.  I thought at one point I was going to be in pain for the rest of my life.  I am terrible with mattress purchasing, the last one I bought was online and paid a shitload of money for it and to this day I can't get comfortable on it.  I highly suggest actually going to a mattress store and trying them out, the thought of in home trial times for mattresses that you can then return kind of grosses me out.  But who am I to speak, I bought one without ever laying on it. Good luck Hedo.
    The thing is, I'm not sure I want to test any mattresses right now in this COVID era!
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    I'm amazed at how much some folks spend on mattresses.  I've had some serious issues with my lower back from time to time.  The worst was back around 2003 when I got so bad I couldn't get out of bed days for yet being in bed was painful. Once I finally got moving, for a week or two I had to use a cane to walk.  We finally went to this place in Sacramento that has varying sizes and densities of foam mattresses.  The idea is, you find the size and density that meets your needs and then pick out a cover.  They build the mattress and you pick it up later.  Total cost was about $375.  That was good for about 15 years and we went back and did it again for about $425. It's doing great!   I actually still throw the old one down in the den if one of us is sick and needs a separate place to sleep.  It's still pretty comfy.  So we should be could for several more years. 
    “The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,428
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

So you're the list guy?
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • mickeyratmickeyrat Posts: 37,745
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

I would love to get a new bed I like but until I decide I want to sleep in a different bed than my wife I am stuck with back pain every single morning.  She doesnt like the sleep number idea.  Might end up getting two queens and lining them up next to another.
    I limp to the bathroom.
    Running has really helped but still....every damn morning, can hardly walk straight until I either stretch things out or get a hot shower.
    2 queens? wtf....
    _____________________________________SIGNATURE________________________________________________

Not today Sir, Probably not tomorrow.............................................. bayfront arena st. pete '94
    you're finally here and I'm a mess................................................... nationwide arena columbus '10
    memories like fingerprints are slowly raising.................................... first niagara center buffalo '13
    another man ..... moved by sleight of hand...................................... joe louis arena detroit '14
    brianlux said:
    I'm amazed at how much some folks spend on mattresses.  I've had some serious issues with my lower back from time to time.  The worst was back around 2003 when I got so bad I couldn't get out of bed days for yet being in bed was painful. Once I finally got moving, for a week or two I had to use a cane to walk.  We finally went to this place in Sacramento that has varying sizes and densities of foam mattresses.  The idea is, you find the size and density that meets your needs and then pick out a cover.  They build the mattress and you pick it up later.  Total cost was about $375.  That was good for about 15 years and we went back and did it again for about $425. It's doing great!   I actually still throw the old one down in the den if one of us is sick and needs a separate place to sleep.  It's still pretty comfy.  So we should be could for several more years. 
    We probably have something similar here but again, not inclined to do an in-person type of transaction with my health and COVID! The extra bucks will be worth it (and I’m still leaning toward Saatva).
  • mickeyrat said:
    dankind said:
    hedonist said:

I limp to the bathroom.
    2 queens? wtf....
    We sleep in a king now.  Love the space.  Neither of us are big people either.  :lol:
    The love he receives is the love that is saved
  • brianluxbrianlux Posts: 41,620
    edited July 2020
    hedonist said:
    brianlux said:
    We probably have something similar here but again, not inclined to do an in-person type of transaction with my health and COVID! The extra bucks will be worth it (and I’m still leaning toward Saatva).

Whatever you get, I hope it helps!

(P.S.  at first glance, I read "Saatva" as "Sativa!")

“The fear of death follows from the fear of life. A man [or woman] who lives fully is prepared to die at any time.”
    Variously credited to Mark Twain or Edward Abbey.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,417
    don't have much mattress info to add but have you tried sleeping with a pillow between your knees if you are a side sleeper? or below your knees if a back sleeper?  I have a herniated disk that flairs up every once in a while and  along with some physical therapy things pillow between the knees seems to help.
    pjh, I do use a pillow!  For support and to keep my thin-ass legs from knocking together.  I feel for you with the herniated disk - back pain BLOWS.  And it often radiates to other parts of the body.

Brian, see my above response to DK.  I actually think it'd make a pretty cat name (or Indica; Hybrid, not so much).
  • SmallestOceansSmallestOceans Posts: 13,542
    GlowGirl said:
    Several years ago I got the Serta Icomfort hybrid. It is a combo of springs and memory foam. I like a super firm mattress, so this was great. At the time I didn't want to go full memory foam since I heard they can get hot. I think the newer memory foam technology allows for some cooling now though. That Saatva looks great though. I will have to keep it in mind.
    Never go full memory foam
    Worcester1 13, Worcester2 13, Hartford 13, San Diego 13, Los Angeles1 13, Los Angeles2 13
    Trieste 14, Vienna 14, Gdynia 14, Leeds 14, Milton Keynes 14, Denver 14
    Central Park 15
    Fort Lauderdale 16, Miami 16, Tampa 16, Jacksonville 16, Greenville 16, Hampton 16, Columbia 16, Lexington 16, Philly1 16, Philly2 16, NYC1 16, NYC2 16, Quebec City 16, Ottawa 16, Toronto1 16, Toronto2 16, Fenway1 16, Fenway2 16, Wrigley1 16, Wrigley2 16

Memory foam is hot.
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07

this song is meant to be called i got shit,itshould be called i got shit tickets-hartford 06 -
  • oftenreadingoftenreading Posts: 12,844
    Memory foam is hot.
    In a good way? 
    my small self... like a book amongst the many on a shelf
    I find it too hot but i like the matress but my partner  doesnt. Says its too firm and causes pain for  her
    brixton 93
    astoria 06
    albany 06
    hartford 06
    reading 06
    barcelona 06
    paris 06
    wembley 07
    dusseldorf 07
    nijmegen 07