Eagles, Pearl Jam, Guns N’ Roses Among Groups Receiving PPP Loans for Postponed Tours

124»

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,944
    Some bands have a viable career with a new singer... Genesis, Van Halen and Journey come to mind.  Other bands... not so much. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• drummer1drummer1 Posts: 314
    on2legs said:
    Some bands have a viable career with a new singer... Genesis, Van Halen and Journey come to mind.  Other bands... not so much. 
    Good point, the result is subjective for sure. 
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.3.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.4.11
  • GlowGirlGlowGirl New York, NY Posts: 10,695
    drummer1 said:
    drummer1 said:
    Okay but why are Eagles still playing out? I mean. Don’t get me wrong. Eagles were my first rock and roll obsession when I was a young girl and I love them dearly but, wow, Glenn Frey isn’t even around and it was basically his band. It’s a little passé if you ask me. And that’s coming from a fan. 

Just my opinion. 

Glad that they’re doing what they can to support their crew though. Same with all these bands. It shows how much they truly do care for the guys and gals that move them from town to town. 
    There's a long history of bands continuing to tour after founding members, lead singers, etc have died or quit.

Dead
    AIC
    ACDC
    The Who
    The Rolling Stones
    Sublime
    Steely Dan
    Just to name a few

As long as people are willing to spend they'll continue to tour.
    you’re so right. There’s nothing wrong with that, really, if people still enjoy hearing the songs. I just wonder if they’ve crossed a line and become a caricature? I actually saw them on one of their farewell tours when Glenn was still alive and there wasn’t a lot of feeling in the show. It was staged and lifeless which is not how I expected Eagles to perform. I wonder if they’re in it for the wrong reasons at this point? 

Don’t get me wrong, though, I’m glad the songs are still being put into the universe. I play their albums all the time because of the spirit they hold and the ties they have to a really cool and important time in the history of music!!!

My question is, regardless of the band, if you lose or change a member, isn’t that a different band?? 

I know that isn’t what this thread was for. I just love a good Eagles discussion 😂 And, again, I’m so glad they’re supporting their crew in this way. 
    I guess that depends. Our very own band here has had a multitude of drummers come and go.

• pjhawkspjhawks Posts: 12,423
    drummer1 said:
    drummer1 said:
    Okay but why are Eagles still playing out? I mean. Don’t get me wrong. Eagles were my first rock and roll obsession when I was a young girl and I love them dearly but, wow, Glenn Frey isn’t even around and it was basically his band. It’s a little passé if you ask me. And that’s coming from a fan. 

Just my opinion. 

Glad that they’re doing what they can to support their crew though. Same with all these bands. It shows how much they truly do care for the guys and gals that move them from town to town. 
    There's a long history of bands continuing to tour after founding members, lead singers, etc have died or quit.

Dead
    AIC
    ACDC
    The Who
    The Rolling Stones
    Sublime
    Steely Dan
    Just to name a few

you’re so right. There’s nothing wrong with that, really, if people still enjoy hearing the songs. I just wonder if they’ve crossed a line and become a caricature? I actually saw them on one of their farewell tours when Glenn was still alive and there wasn’t a lot of feeling in the show. It was staged and lifeless which is not how I expected Eagles to perform. I wonder if they’re in it for the wrong reasons at this point? 

Don’t get me wrong, though, I’m glad the songs are still being put into the universe. I play their albums all the time because of the spirit they hold and the ties they have to a really cool and important time in the history of music!!!

My question is, regardless of the band, if you lose or change a member, isn’t that a different band?? 

I know that isn’t what this thread was for. I just love a good Eagles discussion 😂 And, again, I’m so glad they’re supporting their crew in this way. 
    ESPN just had an Eagles show from 2018 on. I watched about 15 minutes of it. it was horrible. just low key boring shit.  I like their songs, but to me not a live act. and sure as shit not a live act without Frey.  But good for them for taking care of their crew. it's the right thing to do
  • drummer1drummer1 Posts: 314
    GlowGirl said:
    drummer1 said:
    drummer1 said:

Just my opinion. 

Dead
    AIC
    ACDC
    The Who
    The Rolling Stones
    Sublime
    Steely Dan
    Just to name a few

I guess that depends. Our very own band here has had a multitude of drummers come and go.

Holy cow, friend, you just blew my mind. Thanks for making this point!! 
    COLUMBUS, OH 5.6.10
    CLEVELAND, OH 5.9.10
    E.V. DETROIT, MI 6.26.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.3.11
    PJ20 ALPINE VALLEY, WI 9.4.11