Eagles, Pearl Jam, Guns N’ Roses Among Groups Receiving PPP Loans for Postponed Tours

Comments

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    It's a loan, not a grant.  They will be paying their employees now with that money, then will be paying it back when (hopefully) the tours start back up.  I have no problem with this. 

I DO have a problem with companies that use this money, and then fire or layoff people. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • WhatYouTaughtMeWhatYouTaughtMe Posts: 4,957
    PJINFLA said:
    Curious if the crew was paid by the band in 2019 when there was no tour?
    Why would they be? I imagine the roadies and crew have other jobs or other bands that they work for when PJ isn't touring. 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,675
    edited July 2020
    Vedd Hedd said:
    It's a loan, not a grant.  They will be paying their employees now with that money, then will be paying it back when (hopefully) the tours start back up.  I have no problem with this. 

I DO have a problem with companies that use this money, and then fire or layoff people. 
    No. They don't have to pay it back if they meet the guidelines of how they use the funds, its a forgivable loan.
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    Poncier said:
    Vedd Hedd said:

No. They don't have to pay it back if they meet the guidelines of how they use the funds, its a forgivable loan.
    Ah, thats correct.   They will have to pay it back if (for some reason) they dont use it for the intended purpose, I think.  

Either way, I am ok with this.  Its going to the crew. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,305
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:
    How does a Canadian band get to stick their mitts in the cookie jar?
    We have a program where our government will subsidize 75% of a persons wages if the employer keeps them employed.

Not a Liberal fan but man Trudeau has helped us out during this. 
  • WesCWesC Posts: 92
    Terrible look fellas.  Wonder what old Ed would have said about this 25 years ago?  It seems everyday lately some weird shit happens in this world that makes me ask my wife, "did you put acid in my coffee this morning?"
    This was today's
    6/30/06 Milwaukee 8/23/09 Chicago 05/03/10 Kansas City 09/03/11 Alpine Valley 09/04/11 Alpine Valley 11/16/13 Oklahoma City
    11/19/13 Phoenix 11/29/13 Portland 10/03/14 St. Louis 10/17/14 Moline 10/19/14 St. Paul 04/26/16 Lexington 08/07/16 Boston
    08/22/16 Chicago 08/08/18 Seattle 08/10/18 Seattle 08/13/18 Missoula 08/18/18 Chicago
  • pjl44pjl44 Posts: 9,176
    WesC said:
    Terrible look fellas.  Wonder what old Ed would have said about this 25 years ago?  It seems everyday lately some weird shit happens in this world that makes me ask my wife, "did you put acid in my coffee this morning?"
    This was today's
    You think in 1995 Ed would have had an opinion on federal payroll loans during a global pandemic?
    pjl44 said:
    WesC said:
    This was today's
    You think in 1995 Ed would have had an opinion on federal payroll loans during a global pandemic?
    No
    6/30/06 Milwaukee 8/23/09 Chicago 05/03/10 Kansas City 09/03/11 Alpine Valley 09/04/11 Alpine Valley 11/16/13 Oklahoma City
    11/19/13 Phoenix 11/29/13 Portland 10/03/14 St. Louis 10/17/14 Moline 10/19/14 St. Paul 04/26/16 Lexington 08/07/16 Boston
    08/22/16 Chicago 08/08/18 Seattle 08/10/18 Seattle 08/13/18 Missoula 08/18/18 Chicago
  • elvistheking44elvistheking44 Posts: 4,367
    WesC said:
    This was today's
    The money was for small business, Pearl Jam is a small business with employees. What should they have done?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,782
    WesC said:
    This was today's
    They have employees. They are technically a small business
    I miss igotid88
    WesC said:
    This was today's
    The money was for small business, Pearl Jam is a small business with employees. What should they have done
    I fully understand how it works.  The breakdown, the 75% spent on payroll to get the whole thing forgiven, the keeping it and it turns into a 1% loan on a 2 year note.  And yes, PJ is a small business and they are 100% entitled to apply for and receive the money to pay their employees or contracted help.  

My original post said it was a bad look.  That's all.  I think it is. It's like hearing Kanye West's Yeezy brand received over a million.  A week after he was bragging about his wife becoming a billionaire.  It's a bad look.
    That's all & just my opinion.

• pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    WesC said:
    WesC said:
    This was today's
    The money was for small business, Pearl Jam is a small business with employees. What should they have done
    I fully understand how it works.  The breakdown, the 75% spent on payroll to get the whole thing forgiven, the keeping it and it turns into a 1% loan on a 2 year note.  And yes, PJ is a small business and they are 100% entitled to apply for and receive the money to pay their employees or contracted help.  

My original post said it was a bad look.  That's all.  I think it is. It's like hearing Kanye West's Yeezy brand received over a million.  A week after he was bragging about his wife becoming a billionaire.  It's a bad look.
    That's all & just my opinion.

What is the good option for the band to keep their employees paid during this nonsense in your opinion? I know it looks bad at first but the bottom line is their employees are not rich rockstars and Pearl Jam the business did what it thought was best for the well being of their employees. I see it as nothing but a good thing. But I do respect your opinion and was wondering what their other solution should have been. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Thierry HenryThierry Henry Posts: 2,654
    edited July 2020
    Post deleted. Please see the Posting Guidelines
    Post edited by Sea on
    Dublin '96, '00, '06, '10
    Lisbon '06 (x2)
    Katowice '07
    London '07 '09 (x2), '10
    MSG NY '08 (x2)
    Manchester '09 '12
    Belfast '10
    PJ20 Alpine '11 (x2)
    Leeds '14
  • demetriosdemetrios Posts: 91,305
    edited July 2020
    Post deleted
    Post edited by Sea on
  • hedonisthedonist Posts: 24,524
    If you wanna bitch, then bitch about the Church of Scientology getting a loan. 
    Yeah!
  • pearljammr78pearljammr78 Posts: 1,613
    How about any faith based organization getting a loan or tax free status. Let’s give tax breaks to doctors and those doing proven science the tax breaks. Last time I looked, my faith in Santa Claus doesn’t get me shit. 
    Peace,Love and Pearl Jam.
  • Josh10376Josh10376 Posts: 76
    This feels icky.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,127
    This feels like responsible business management. They got their road crew paid this year when all shows are postponed, and they got their warehouse crew paid for the lean months when everything was closed. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
    Man, people will take any opportunity to crowbar in their pet grievances.

On topic, with the current state of the music industry I don't know how you begrudge any entity (including huge touring bands) taking advantage of any relief they qualify for. Live music is likely one of the last things that comes back in any recognizable form. Cut these people all the slack.
  • AmishGuy91AmishGuy91 Posts: 831
    Yeah it's a horrible look.  Just like when the Lakers took the loan, but they repaid it back.  
  • NSLNSL Posts: 293
    I have friends that work for some of the bands on the list.  It's been very helpful for them.

It seems like a bad look reading it in a post but it's perfectly logical since these bands are also a business.  
    2004-10-06 - Asheville, NC
    2013-10-30 - Charlotte, NC
    2016-04-16 - Greenville, SC
    2016-04-20 - Raleigh, NC
    2016-04-21 - Columbia, SC
    2016-05-01 - New York, NY
    2022-09-16 - Nashville, TN
    2022-09-17 - Louisville, KY
    2023-09-10 - Noblesville, IN
    2023-09-13 - Fort Worth, TX
    2023-09-15 - Fort Worth, TX
    2024-08-26 - Noblesville, IN
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,524
    pjl44 said:

On topic, with the current state of the music industry I don't know how you begrudge any entity (including huge touring bands) taking advantage of any relief they qualify for. Live music is likely one of the last things that comes back in any recognizable form. Cut these people all the slack.

I think the argument is, "Do people with Net Worth's varying between 75m and 100m really need to use to government funds to float the boat?".

Our governments are going knee deep in debt trying to keep everything afloat.   You would hope, to reduce it's scope, it would go to the people/entities that need it most.  Not people/entities with fairly large cash reserves. 

I understand why they did it, and I think it's great they're looking after their employees.  I do them see them being a little different than the average small business that might be just getting buy, or only make a little money to bank.

I do think it's great they're looking after their employees.  In all fairness they probably pay a shittonne of tax.   What they got is probably a fraction of what they contribute.   Meh.
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

I think the argument is, "Do people with Net Worth's varying between 75m and 100m really need to use to government funds to float the boat?".

Our governments are going knee deep in debt trying to keep everything afloat.   You would hope, to reduce it's scope, it would go to the people/entities that need it most.  Not people/entities with fairly large cash reserves. 

I understand why they did it, and I think it's great they're looking after their employees.  I do them see them being a little different than the average small business that might be just getting buy, or only make a little money to bank.

I do think it's great they're looking after their employees.  In all fairness they probably pay a shittonne of tax.   What they got is probably a fraction of what they contribute.   Meh.
    I don't know. I can't pretend to know anyone's financial situation. I assume they're all rolling in it, but that doesn't mean they're liquid enough to keep payroll going. With the state of the music industry, it feels shitty to wag my finger at someone for how they're keeping their crew whole. If they're eligible for a program like this, they should absolutely take advantage of it. 
  • 100 Pacer100 Pacer Posts: 8,901
    JimmyV said:
    This feels like responsible business management. They got their road crew paid this year when all shows are postponed, and they got their warehouse crew paid for the lean months when everything was closed. 
    Exactly. People speculating on the band’s specific finances or decisions or net worth is amusing. It has nothing to do with their overhead - the tour insurance policy doesn’t cover a pandemic so when everything is cancelled someone has to cover the costs. 
    To quote the 10C from Newsletter #8: "Please understand we have a lot of members and it is very hard to please everybody. If you are one of those unhappy people...please call 1-900-IDN-TCAR."

"Me knowing the truth, I can not concur."

1996: Toronto - 1998: Chicago, Montreal, Barrie - 2000: Montreal, Toronto - 2002: Seattle X2 (Key Arena) - 2003: Cleveland, Buffalo, Toronto, Montreal, Seattle (Benaroya Hall) - 2004: Reading, Toledo, Grand Rapids - 2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Montreal, Ottawa, Toronto, Quebec City - 2006: Toronto X2, Albany, Hartford, Grand Rapids, Cleveland - 2007: Chicago (Vic Theatre) - 2008: NYC X2, Hartford, Mansfield X2 - 2009: Toronto, Chicago X2, Seattle X2, Philadelphia X4 - 2010: Columbus, Noblesville, Cleveland, Buffalo, Hartford - 2011: Montreal, Toronto X2, Ottawa, Hamilton - 2012: Missoula - 2013: London, Chicago, Buffalo, Hartford - 2014: Detroit, Moline - 2015: NYC (Global Citizen Festival) - 2016: Greenville, Toronto X2, Chicago 1 - 2017: Brooklyn (RRHOF Induction) - 2018: Chicago 1, Boston 1 - 2022: Fresno, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto, NYC, Camden - 2023: St. Paul X2, Austin X2 - 2024: Vancouver X2, Portland, Sacramento, Missoula, Noblesville, Philadelphia X2, Baltimore
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,524
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

I don't know. I can't pretend to know anyone's financial situation. I assume they're all rolling in it, but that doesn't mean they're liquid enough to keep payroll going. With the state of the music industry, it feels shitty to wag my finger at someone for how they're keeping their crew whole. If they're eligible for a program like this, they should absolutely take advantage of it. 
    definitely.  I was trying to flush out the opposite argument because it seemed like some people didn't quite understand why other people took issue with it.

I think both sides of the argument have merit :)
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

definitely.  I was trying to flush out the opposite argument because it seemed like some people didn't quite understand why other people took issue with it.

I think both sides of the argument have merit :)
    I get the impulse. There's a bit of a reap-what-you-sow element to it. I saw Bad Religion a few years ago and at one point Greg asked the audience "are there any rich people here tonight?" Some guy yelled "yeah, on the stage." I think about that often.
  • Gern BlanstenGern Blansten Posts: 19,503
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

The max loan per employee is $20,833 ($100K / 12 x 2.5) since the maximum compensation that goes into the loan calculation is $100K/year.  

So a large PPP loan reflects the number of employees involved.  

It does seem odd given that maybe some of these businesses would have opted to pay their employees anyway.
    Remember the Thomas Nine !! (10/02/2018)

1998: Noblesville; 2003: Noblesville; 2009: EV Nashville, Chicago, Chicago
    2010: St Louis, Columbus, Noblesville; 2011: EV Chicago, East Troy, East Troy
    2013: London ON, Wrigley; 2014: Cincy, St Louis, Moline (NO CODE)
    2016: Lexington, Wrigley #1; 2018: Wrigley, Wrigley, Boston, Boston
    2020: Oakland, Oakland:  2021: EV Ohana, Ohana, Ohana, Ohana
    2022: Oakland, Oakland, Nashville, Louisville; 2023: Chicago, Chicago, Noblesville
    2024: Noblesville, Wrigley, Wrigley, Ohana, Ohana
  • JOEJOEJOEJOEJOEJOE Posts: 10,483
    Zod said:
    pjl44 said:

The max loan per employee is $20,833 ($100K / 12 x 2.5) since the maximum compensation that goes into the loan calculation is $100K/year.  

So a large PPP loan reflects the number of employees involved.  

It does seem odd given that maybe some of these businesses would have opted to pay their employees anyway.
     $20,833 ($100K / 12 x 2.5) 

I've applied for so many loans for clients so that equation will forever be instilled in my brain!
  • bobby dazzlersbobby dazzlers Posts: 2,017
    Why you done know bitchin'?!
    That I no longer give a fuck
    Who is wrong and who’s right