When Pearl Jam concerts resume will all floor seating be reserved with six feet between each seat?

2»

Comments

• on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,946
    And I’m sure people sitting up in the nosebleeds won’t be trying to filter down into all the empty seats up front.  Sounds like a logistical nightmare.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,711
    I do wonder if this means only outdoor shows for the foreseeable future. Obviously not right now, but maybe in a year. It may be the only way large groups could conceivably get together for a show if there is no vaccine and you don't want to create a sealed environment for cases to spread. 

• jerparker20jerparker20 Posts: 2,466
    Zod said:
    kst said:
    RiotZact said:
    I don’t think this is possible. That would cut the audience in 1/5 considering how close together seats are. How would they decide which 4/5 of people would get refunded and not get to go to the concert they’ve been desperately waiting for? 
    I’m not saying people would go for it, or that the economics would work, but if they wanted to proceed they could announce new shows to be sold at 20% of venue capacity using a lottery system and maybe a maximum of two tickets per member for that part of the tour.  The existing shows already sold at normal venue usage would be rescheduled to a post vaccine date and everyone keeps their tickets for those.

lol.  20% probably doesn't even cover the overhead of doing the show.   Venue Rental & Operations, Promoters Cut, Security,  Band's Crew, etc...  How much of a cut would a band most likely see from doing a regular show?  50 to 75% of the gate?

As a fan would I want to see shows 20% full?   A big part of the experience is the crowd.  It wouldn't be the same in a mostly empty venue :(
    Some insight I got from a former concert promoter...
    75% of available tickets for a venue need to be sold at a minimum to break even. Anything less is a loss. 
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    Zod said:
    kst said:
    RiotZact said:
    I don’t think this is possible. That would cut the audience in 1/5 considering how close together seats are. How would they decide which 4/5 of people would get refunded and not get to go to the concert they’ve been desperately waiting for? 
    I’m not saying people would go for it, or that the economics would work, but if they wanted to proceed they could announce new shows to be sold at 20% of venue capacity using a lottery system and maybe a maximum of two tickets per member for that part of the tour.  The existing shows already sold at normal venue usage would be rescheduled to a post vaccine date and everyone keeps their tickets for those.

lol.  20% probably doesn't even cover the overhead of doing the show.   Venue Rental & Operations, Promoters Cut, Security,  Band's Crew, etc...  How much of a cut would a band most likely see from doing a regular show?  50 to 75% of the gate?

As a fan would I want to see shows 20% full?   A big part of the experience is the crowd.  It wouldn't be the same in a mostly empty venue :(
    75% of available tickets for a venue need to be sold at a minimum to break even. Anything less is a loss. 
    For the band to break even? Meaning they're playing for free? 
  • PoncierPoncier Posts: 16,674
    Drdeal said:
    They could open with Half Full.  Just sayin....
    :clap:
    This weekend we rock Portland
  • RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,907
    Obviously normal conditions are preferable.  Goes without saying.  But until there’s a vaccine or a cure, that’s not an option.  The options are to wait indefinitely, or to find a way for reduced capacity to work.  Waiting is fine for now, but in a year or two if the disease is still out there without a proper treatment, a reduced capacity show will look pretty good to me.  Laugh out loud as much as you want.  
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
    SHZA said:
    Zod said:
    kst said:
    RiotZact said:

For the band to break even? Meaning they're playing for free? 
    Should have clarified that’s for the promoter. Most artists generally receive a flat fee to show (plus merch sales) unless their contact stipulates otherwise (PJ being one). Still find a promoter that is going to be willing to put up money knowing they can only sell 20 - 50% of a venue’s capacity. The only way it would happen would be to increase ticket prices by a significant amount that would price out the majority of people.
  • Lost In OhioLost In Ohio Posts: 6,828
    Here's the thing.

Say there's a large event...a music festival, some sports team, a concert, etc. If an outbreak gets traced to that event, just think of the lawyers.

This is a band that throws people out for being too rough.

That's how serious they take safety and health.
    Presidential Advice from President-Elect Mike McCready: "Are you getting something out of this all encompassing trip?"
  • ZodZod Posts: 10,524
    Zod said:
    kst said:
    RiotZact said:

I think that might be for the promoter, because the promoter needs to pay the band their guarantee, and most likely profits from the surplus.

• ZodZod Posts: 10,524
    kst said:
    Obviously normal conditions are preferable.  Goes without saying.  But until there’s a vaccine or a cure, that’s not an option.  The options are to wait indefinitely, or to find a way for reduced capacity to work.  Waiting is fine for now, but in a year or two if the disease is still out there without a proper treatment, a reduced capacity show will look pretty good to me.  Laugh out loud as much as you want.  

If we're 2 years in without a vaccine, I think we'll have bigger problems than trying to go to concerts.    The thing will have either spread, or lockdowns will have made us all broke by then :(
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,347
    edited May 2020
    PJ was first to postbone. Maybe they’ll be first to restart and do it in a safe way to set an example. Only other thing than a mask that may be required is a waiver for each ticket holder to agree that the venue, artist and all involved with hosting the event can not be held liable if they get sick due to an outbreak that is traced back to the concert. 
    Post edited by CO278952 on
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
  • cutzcutz Posts: 11,769
    Science will tell us when they'll  be able to have normal seating concerts again.
  • eddieceddiec Posts: 3,859
    If masks had to be worn they would have to stop alcohol and food sales. All those $10-$15 a beer sales...gone. No way would it be financially viable. 
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    eddiec said:
    If masks had to be worn they would have to stop alcohol and food sales. All those $10-$15 a beer sales...gone. No way would it be financially viable. 
    They’d figure out something to fill the void. 
    SHZA said:
    eddiec said:

Might solve the problem?!?
  • CO278952CO278952 Posts: 1,347
    edited May 2020
    (5) 30 minute sets where 1/5 of the crowd is rotated in every thirty minutes To maintain social distance. The band just repeats the same 6 songs over and over so none of the fans get angry they missed any songs played that night. Epic 
    4.17.94 Paramount 9.28.96 Randall's Island 8.25.00 Jones Beach 4.28.03 Spectrum 7.5.03 Camden 7.6.03 Camden 07.08.03 MSG 07.09.03 MSG 7.12.03 Hershey 7.14.03 Holmdel 6.12.08 Tampa 10.19.13 Brooklyn 4.11.16 Tampa 5.1.16 MSG 5.2.16 MSG 8.7.16 Fenway 9.2.18 Fenway 9.4.18 Fenway 9.11.22 MSG 9.16.22 Nashville 9.18.23 Austin 9.19.23 Austin 9.3.24 MSG 9.4.24 MSG Fenway 9.15.24 Fenway 9.17.24
  • patkelly12patkelly12 Posts: 361
    SHZA said:
    eddiec said:

Might solve the problem?!?

This is incredible.
  • ryanphishesryanphishes Posts: 586
    They're doing drive in concerts here in Texas at the Ballpark the Rangers used to play in (I think).

I don't know how well that will work for all groups, keeping people in cars, not congregating, dancing, etc depending on the band.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• RatherStarvedRatherStarved Posts: 4,907

PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023