Official "Retrograde" video

Comments

• EarlWelshEarlWelsh Posts: 1,118
    People listen to or even care about what is on the radio?
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,782
    I see that Buckle Up got some radio play in Michigan and Wisconsin on Triple A radio
    I miss igotid88
    Dance of the Clairvoyants — great song on its own but also one that generates buzz.  Smart first choice in hind site.  

Superblood Wolfmoon— not sure why it was a single

Quick Escape — best rock song on the album.  Would've also worked well as the first single. 

Retrograde — i personally love the song.  Hearing the ending on the radio is so cool.  
    I was going to ask if they kept the last part of the song for terrestrial radio
    I miss igotid88
  • BrainofBGABrainofBGA Posts: 4,162
    Strange they didn’t mention this in the newsletter!? 
    Melbourne #1 '98
    Melbourne #2 '03
    Melbourne #3 '03
    Melbourne #1 '06
    Melbourne #3 '06
    Melbourne '09
    Melbourne '14
  • THEBIBLEISTENTHEBIBLEISTEN Posts: 1,871
    Why? Are they purposely trying to not sell a lot of albums?

Seven O'clock and Quick Escape. Bang. Done. Those are your singles. Retrograde is an okay song but not one of the better ones on the album.

I really question the marketing of Gigaton.
    What is wrong with you? 
  • mcdevittpbmcdevittpb Posts: 219
    The only suspect song on the album is Buckle Up. IMHO. Still wondering wtf happened to Of The Earth. 
  • The JugglerThe Juggler Posts: 48,527
    Why? Are they purposely trying to not sell a lot of albums?

Seven O'clock and Quick Escape. Bang. Done. Those are your singles. Retrograde is an okay song but not one of the better ones on the album.

I really question the marketing of Gigaton.
    What is wrong with you? 
    I either got stung by a bee or bit by a spider on my left thumb last week playing golf and it still hurts. Other than that I am fine. How did you know?
    www.myspace.com
  • Tim SimmonsTim Simmons Posts: 7,699
    EarlWelsh said:
    I've always thought that was a weird aspect of this place. The band is still massive, why do they need validation from a "hit". Who cares at this point?

edited May 2020
    EarlWelsh said:
    I've always thought that was a weird aspect of this place. The band is still massive, why do they need validation from a "hit". Who cares at this point?

Well, Tim, it's one aspect of the band's success that people have been interested in for almost three decades now, you tomato-stewed hound dog.
    www.myspace.com
  • JT167846JT167846 Posts: 897
    Plus the indignation that their favourite track hasn't been released as a single over others. The fact that everyone's bitching about so many of the tracks not being put out ahead of the ones that already have been released so far is an indication of how consistent the album is. Want to hear it on radio? Shit, stick a CD in or hook your phone/iPod up to the speakers and you can hear whichever song you like without ads and cock DJs. Fucken magic.
    Stars are suns to other people.

Wellington 1998
    London 2007
    Brisbane 2009
    Stockholm 2012
    Amsterdam 1 & 2 2014
    EV Dublin 2017
    Milan 2018
    Padova 2018
    Boston 2 2018
    JT167846 said:
    Plus the indignation that their favourite track hasn't been released as a single over others. The fact that everyone's bitching about so many of the tracks not being put out ahead of the ones that already have been released so far is an indication of how consistent the album is. Want to hear it on radio? Shit, stick a CD in or hook your phone/iPod up to the speakers and you can hear whichever song you like without ads and cock DJs. Fucken magic.
    Yeah, no. I haven't listened to terrestrial radio in about a decade. It's not about wanting to hear it on the radio. It's about wanting your band to continue to be successful and potentially draw in new fans. 
    www.myspace.com
    JT167846 said:
    Yeah, no. I haven't listened to terrestrial radio in about a decade. It's not about wanting to hear it on the radio. It's about wanting your band to continue to be successful and potentially draw in new fans. 
    Yea I don't get "fans" not wanting PJ to get radio play or not caring. 
    I miss igotid88
  • EilianEilian Posts: 276
    Seems an obvious choice to me. Most interesting guitar part and the strongest chorus on the album.
  • tschavtschav Posts: 2,835
    Eilian said:
    Seems an obvious choice to me. Most interesting guitar part and the strongest chorus on the album.
    And closest to a softer "Sirens" type song that they can use to pull casual fans into the new album.
    Guarantee we'll be hearing Retrograde on lots of tv dramas... well... once they start filming shows again. 
    edited May 2020
    EarlWelsh said:

Well, Tim, it's one aspect of the band's success that people have been interested in for almost three decades now, you tomato-stewed hound dog.
    Its nice that the fans have been interested in radio hits while the band hasn't cared about them since 1992. Also they genuinly haven't made a real impact on radio since what? Last Kiss 20 years ago?

Post edited by Tim Simmons on
    igotid88 said:
    JT167846 said:
    Why? Why not just enjoy the band for what it does instead of it getting more popular? Why does a band need to be popular? They still play the biggest venues in most markets. They are still as big as you can get after being together for 30 years. I would argue they are still massively popular. 

In fact, Hank Azaria asked on Twitter today who is the most popular American band (if the Beatles/Stones and Zep are debated as the most popular UK band). PJ was trending because of peoples responses. They are still huge. They don't need a radio hit. Also, radio is not a viable medium anymore outside of your taxi/uber.

I'm just saying, be confident in your fandom. Stop looking for validation. Just enjoy the ride.

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,251
    Love it!  Can’t wait. Retrograde last 90 seconds is the best part of a brilliant album!
    igotid88 said:
    JT167846 said:
    Why? Why not just enjoy the band for what it does instead of it getting more popular? Why does a band need to be popular? They still play the biggest venues in most markets. They are still as big as you can get after being together for 30 years. I would argue they are still massively popular. 

In fact, Hank Azaria asked on Twitter today who is the most popular American band (if the Beatles/Stones and Zep are debated as the most popular UK band). PJ was trending because of peoples responses. They are still huge. They don't need a radio hit. Also, radio is not a viable medium anymore outside of your taxi/uber.

Because you like to see your fav band succeed. Just like you want your favorite team win games. 
    I miss igotid88
  • I'm ready for the video!  My wife and I figured Retrograde would be the next (and perhaps final) single from the album due to its marketability.  Furthermore, several songs on the album are about six minutes long, which effectively excludes them from consideration.  This album seems destined for a handful of spurts when it comes to sales.  The first occurred when the album was released.  The second will happen as people physically venture back into record stores.  There will be another when Gigaton is nominated for a Grammy early next year.  Of course, there will also be several more sales spurts for the three or four legs of the tour throughout the United States.  It seems like this album will eventually go gold, because it's simply too damn good not to sell the equivalent of 500,000 copies in the United States -- even if it takes a decade or more.    
    edited May 2020
    I'm ready for the video!  My wife and I figured Retrograde would be the next (and perhaps final) single from the album due to its marketability.  Furthermore, several songs on the album are about six minutes long, which effectively excludes them from consideration.  This album seems destined for a handful of spurts when it comes to sales.  The first occurred when the album was released.  The second will happen as people physically venture back into record stores.  There will be another when Gigaton is nominated for a Grammy early next year.  Of course, there will also be several more sales spurts for the three or four legs of the tour throughout the United States.  It seems like this album will eventually go gold, because it's simply too damn good not to sell the equivalent of 500,000 copies in the United States -- even if it takes a decade or more.    
    They don't have a good track record with the Grammys. An Album of the Year will certainly be a surprise. Not since Vitalogy. At least a performance on there will help. Hopefully they play SNL or one of the late night shows

They can do one of the past concert streams like Metallica and Genesis are doing for example.
    Post edited by igotid88 on
    I miss igotid88
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JT167846 said:

Because you like to see your fav band succeed. 
    That is true. I do hope PJ gets to be successful one day.
  • TJ25487TJ25487 Posts: 1,475
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JT167846 said:

And I thought it was just about having something to argue about on a fanclub web site! Who knew? 
    I do love hearing PJ on the radio though as it usually surprises me. The DJ on one Vegas rock station was kind of condescending when introducing SBWM the other day. Said something like "these guys are still around?" I wanted to spit at the radio. 
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JT167846 said:

You don't get it. I know they're successful. 
    I miss igotid88
  • pledgeagrievancepledgeagrievance Posts: 2,842
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JT167846 said:

Because you like to see your fav band succeed. Just like you want your favorite team win games. 
    Music isn’t a competition. It’s art 
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    igotid88 said:
    JT167846 said:

You don't get it. I know they're successful. 
    I do. I'm just saying history shows, unless you have a cheeseball song in a cheeseball Michael Bay movie, its next to impossible to get a hit song for a band thats been together for 25+ years and a good 20 past your commercial peak. PJ fans don't need to get hung up on whats the next single, how many YouTube views, or chart rankings. Enjoy that the band is still massive doing what they want, basically out of the public eye. Its clear the've barely cared about commercial success, so fans can chill a bit about it too.

• Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,136
    The snippet does not look promising.

Quick Escape should have gotten a "real" video.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • byrn3535byrn3535 Posts: 127
    edited May 2020
    EarlWelsh said:

I'm in agreement here. The area I live in has a garbage rock station and I have yet to hear any new Pearl Jam on it. 
    Byrn, (bye - earn)
    "I wanna live my life with the volume full"