After Some Time to Take In and Digest Gigaton, Where Does it Rank For You?

Comments

• PJALKPJALK Posts: 83
    Ten
    No code
    Vs
    Vitology
    Gigaton

• mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    Hmmmmmmm.   I am thinking:
    first five
    gigaton
    self titled
    backspacer
    binaural
    lb
    riot act
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    Nitro said:
    I don't think anything they put out will ever overtake their first 13 years of music for me.   Those albums, ten to binaural, are woven into my life; the most influential part of my adult life.  From the time I was 19 until I was 32.  Riot Act was a huge disappointment for me when it was released, although I appreciate it now, their 3 albums after RA never hit me like every album before did.   I've kind of accepted it for what it is.   I think there's some good music on this album and I feel like there was more of an effort put into it than the previous three.  I would rank this one right behind Riot Act right now but I think that's only because there are at least two songs I consider 'classics' on RA; it's hard to predict songs that will stand the test of time on a new album.   All just my opinion and everyone is different.    

1.  Ten, VS, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield
    2. Binaural
    3. Riot Act  
    4. Gigaton
    5. Avocado
    6. Lighting Bolt, Backspacer        

I agree with almost all of this. 
    In my opinion it's the best since Binaural, so would have it like:
    1.  Ten, VS, Vitalogy, No Code, Yield
    2. Binaural
    3. Gigaton 
    4. Riot Act
    5. Lightning Bolt, Backspacer, Avocado
    I can agree with this.   Close enough. 
  • ST66483ST66483 Posts: 756
    Binaural
    Avocado
    Yield
    No Code
    Riot Act
    Vs
    Gigaton (could move up over time)
    Vitalogy
    Lightning Bolt
    Ten
     Backspacer 

My list has changed a lot over time and expect it to do so in the future.  Interesting to see everyone’s lists.

• Will see if this lasts, but I'd say Who Ever Said is my favorite song since Of the Girl. Love the effort put in all tracks. 7 o'clock is superb. Most fun I had listening to an album since Yield. 

Montreal 98, 00, 03, 05, 11
    Toronto 03, 06, 11
    Ottawa 05, 11
    Quebec 05; Saratoga 00; Boston 04; Toledo 04
    Albany 06; Honolulu 06; Hartford 08
    Costa Rica 11
    London (Ont.), Hartford 13
    Quebec, Fenway 1 + 2 16; London 18
    EV Montreal (2), Berkeley II, Albany, Boston, London (UK)

• The singles have been Stellar. Very happy with the album. I really can’t rank it, it’s like ranking my kids. 
  • AR288142AR288142 Posts: 20
    Love the new album. "Alright" and "Seven O'Clock" are so great back-to-back. 
    Anyway, here's my list: 
    1) Pearl Jam
    2) Ten
    3) Riot Act 
    4) Gigaton
    5) Binaural
    6) Yield
    7) Vs.
    8) Vitalogy
    9) No Code
    10) Backspacer
    11) Lightning Bolt

I should note that on my list, there is almost no daylight between entries 1-10. 
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,070
    vaggar99 said:
    RobZ said:
    Definitely not a "masterpiece" or a "triumph" as some have described.  Bottom three....
    I feel like the band killed the momentum of the album in a couple places.  "Never Destination" and "Comes then Goes" could have been left off and the album as a whole would have been better.
    Umm, no. Two of my favorites on the back half
  • ICDragonsICDragons Posts: 39
    Every time I listen to a PJ album I forget how much I love each one for what it is. Every one has its own particular feeling. A texture. 

I definitely am happy about Gigaton. It’s so refreshing to hear. I really like the whole album with River Cross being my least favorite.  

It took forever but I’m proud of their achievement. Definitely doesn’t sound like they’re just phoning it in.

• vaggar99vaggar99 Posts: 3,427
    edited April 2020
    empty
  • goldrushgoldrush Posts: 7,478
    It’s still too early to rank it, I think. I do like it more than some of their other records, but I can never really pick a PJ album to put in first or last place.

I have a playlist on my phone that plays on random when I’m driving. It’s a mix of artists, usually just one or two songs each. I’ve added every Gigaton song to the playlist, which is something I’ve never done with an album before. I think it’s a great album, and the songs also work really well when they pop up randomly.
    “Do not postpone happiness”
    (Jeff Tweedy, Sydney 2007)

“Put yer good money on the sunrise”
    (Tim Rogers)
  • Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    edited April 2020
    Fuck it. I’ll give it a go as of now even though I know it will change over time.

No Code
    Yield
    Vitalogy 
    VS
    Binaural 
    Ten 
    Gigaton
    Riot Act
    Pearl Jam
    Lightning Bolt
    Backspacer

I love them all. Says so much about the strength of their catalog. In fact the only reason I have Backspacer last is it’s so short. It’s like an EP. And had a couple weaker tracks for me. Still a great record though. 
    Post edited by Abe Froman on
  • TheGossmanTheGossman Posts: 1,120
    At the bottom with Lightning Bolt. 
    9/4/98, 8/4/00, 12/8/02, 12/9/02, 4/15/03, 4/16/03, 4/19/03, 4/25/03, 4/26/03, 4/28/03, 4/29/03, 4/30/03, 7/8/03, 7/9/03, 9/28/04, 9/29/04, 10/6/04, 9/1/05, 9/2/05, 5/16/06, 5/17/06, 5/27/06, 5/28/06, 5/30/06, 6/1/06, 6/3/06, 8/5/07, 6/11/08, 6/12/08, 6/14/08, 6/16/08, 6/24/08, 6/25/08
  • JBob87JBob87 Posts: 457
    Bottom bucket with LB and Backspacer.

Hate to say it but Ed’s structure and writing is the weak link. Way too much rambling, convoluted writing, and filling musical spaces that don’t need to be filled.
  • static111static111 Posts: 4,889
    1-8 varies depending on the day month year
    9 Lightning Bolt
    10 Backspacer
    11 Gigaton
    Scio me nihil scire

There are no kings inside the gates of eden
  • Wow, this is very hard, every album has it's own beauty and greatness! 
    Will change over and over but I have given it a go! I have never been a big fan of Vs..  i think this new record is a brilliant return to full form and I love it.
    1. Vitalogy
    2. Yield
    3. No Code
    4. Ten                               
    5.. S/T
    6.. Binaural
    7. Gigaton
    8. Riot Act
    9. Vs
    10. Lightning Bolt
    11. Backspacer
  • mshnaydermshnayder Posts: 106
    I can't wrap my head around people who have Ten outside their top 3 let alone those who have it in their bottom 3. I know music is subjective but that's just objectively wrong and feels like a hipster take. 
  • Niko80Niko80 Posts: 1,589
    edited April 2020
    Gigaton has its moments. I feel the album is quite interesting 1-8. Then it completely loses its momentum and never picks up again. QE, DotC, Seven O`Clock and Alright are all songs I like. I find QE to be fantastic!
    I haven't posted here in ages, but been lurking. Read a comment saying Of the Earth should have been on here. I agree. it would have provided a nice pickup in the finale, maybe between Retrograde and River Cross. Might have made the album a tad long though. 

VS
    Ten
    Vitalogy
    Yield
    No Code
    Binaural 
    PJ
    Gigaton
    Riot Act
    Backspacer
    Lightning Bolt
    Post edited by Niko80 on
    I will swallow poison
  • tbergstbergs Posts: 9,574
    edited April 2020
    Ranking is always difficult and especially with a new album. When No Code, Binaural and RIot Act all came out, they easily went to the bottom of the pile. I was really excited about Yield when it came out just because of that 4 song opening, but I feel it fell flat in the second half besides In Hiding and ATY. Over the years, I have come to really love No Code and Binaural. No Code is perfect except for Mankind and Binaural only slightly falters overall. I really enjoy Evacuation on the album, especially the lyrics and ultimately, it's the lyrics that bring albums to the top for me. This is why my top 3 albums have been No Code, Binaural and Vitalogy for so long. The music of Ten and Vs cannot be topped, but I don't feel that lyrics resonate as much for me. They're anthems that rock live because they are fun to sing along with. Only Release and Indifference really hit me hard on those albums.

No Code and Binaural are both albums I can get lost in just listening to the lyrics and riding the musical highs and lows throughout that make them so powerful. Vitalogy was the turning point in my opinion and showed how deep they could get with their sound. I think Riot Act has aged much better than most and I appreciate it a lot more than I did at the time. With that said, none of their best music is really well suited for pumping up a large stadium sized crowd, but they are powerful songs that tear at your heart and mind all in one. Don't get me wrong, I love shouting along to DTE, Evenflow and Alive, but they are a surface level emotion experience for me that don't compare to the depths of Immortality, Sleight of Hand, Parting Ways, Present Tense, In My Tree and Off He Goes.

Okay, enough rambling on. Here is my attempt.

No Code/Binaural
    Vitalogy
    Vs/Ten
    Gigaton
    Yield
    Riot Act
    Pearl Jam/Backspacer
    Lightning Bolt
    Post edited by tbergs on
    It's a hopeless situation...
  • mr bunglemr bungle Posts: 1,333

9.Gigiton

10.Riot Act

11. Lightning Bolt

• Abe FromanAbe Froman Posts: 5,252
    mshnayder said:
    I can't wrap my head around people who have Ten outside their top 3 let alone those who have it in their bottom 3. I know music is subjective but that's just objectively wrong and feels like a hipster take. 
    Why?  It’s not my favorite record. Pretty simple.  Does it hold a special place because it was what started it all for me?  Absolutely!  But I like 5 albums more than Ten. Personally they got better musically and became more creative. I loved VS, Vitalogy, No Code and Yield more than Ten pretty much right away. And over time it happened with Binaural for me too. 
  • 1. Yield
    2. Ten
    3. Pearl Jam
    4. Vitalogy
    5. Vs
    6. No Code
    7. Gigaton
    8. Binaural
    9. Riot Act
    10. Lightning Bolt
    11. Backspacer

I would like to apologize to Binaural and Riot Act though.

I have a hard time believing so many people are ranking this above Riot Act. 
  • BennyLaRueBennyLaRue Posts: 751
    Still just below Wunderbar for me
  • pjsycopjsyco Posts: 646
    This is a great album and keeps getting better. I put it ahead of LB and Backspacer and it’s still climbing. This thing is easily an A . Very impressed with this. 
    I agree. I can’t quit listening to this album. Ed is going to have one hell of a time remembering the lyrics on this one. Great fucking album. 
  • GibsonGibson Posts: 2,634
    95 all time.
    1998: Barrie  2000: Toronto  2005: Kitchener, London, Hamilton, Toronto  2006: Toronto 1&2, Paris, Milan, Torino, Pistoia  2009: Calgary, Vancouver  2011: Canada  2013: London, Wrigley, Philly 1&2  2014: St. Louis, ACL 1, Detroit  2016: Lexington, Quebec, Ottawa, Toronto 1&2, Fenway 1&2, Wrigley 1&2  2017: EV - Louisville  2018: London 1&2, Milan, Padova, Rome, Prague, Krakow, Berlin, Wrigley 1&2, Fenway 1&2  2020: Toronto, Ottawa, Hamilton  2021: London 1&2  2022: Hamilton, Toronto  2023: Chicago 1&2, Noblesville  2024: Seattle 1&2, Noblesville, Wrigley 1&2

• PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    My copy of Gigaton wouldn't play, so I have yet to experience it other than You Tube, can't really make a decision until I get another copy of the CD.  

• iOnlyownMymindiOnlyownMymind Posts: 2,739
    KN219077 said:
    I'm in the same boat.  I really don't get it either!
    KN219077 said:
    I'm in the same boat.  I really don't get it either!
    I think the album is very good, don’t get me wrong. Probably my favorite album I’ve heard by any band in the lst five years. I just don’t think it really rivals riot act or binaural 
  • Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    edited April 2020
    Man, this is such a fun question to ask but one of the most difficult to always answer. It becomes even more difficult when you have a new release that's solid from beginning to end like Gigaton is. So for those who really love the new album, I'm sure you struggle just like I do on where to rank this album simply because it's so new. Ranking it too high on your list just seems disrespectful to the other classic albums in their catalog, but ranking it near or at the bottom of the list doesn't feel right either given how amazing this album is. 

For my rankings, I like to factor in how well each album has held up over time, second, how often am I inclined to listen to the album in it's entirety and finally the overall number of quality songs on the album. With that said, here are my rankings:

1. Yield - For me, I fell in love with this album on the first listen. Maybe it was due to the stuff going on in my life during that time, but this album just speaks to me on so many levels. 
    2. No Code - I'll admit, I didn't get this album for quite some time beyond the rockers. I had to grow up and experience some life before this eventually resonated with me. 
    3. Vitalogy - The only album from the "early years" that has a timeless feel to it imo. To this day, I can still listen to that album from beginning to end without skipping a single track. 
    4. Gigaton - Outside of Yield, no other album of theirs has captured me from the very first listen like this one has. Maybe as was the case with Yield, it was the timing and events taking place in our world that made me instantly love it. 
    5. Binaural - I know I'll get shit for ranking Gigaton ahead of Binaural but it is what it is. A great album from beginning to end that was another slow burner for me.
    6. Vs. -  Loved it when it first came out and there are still plenty of good tunes to spin from this one, but I rarely find myself going back and listening to it now. Sound wise it feels a little dated, but maybe that's just because I'm getting old. :lol:  
    7.  Pearl Jam (Avocado) - This album was music to my ears after Riot Act as I felt the band got back to that vibe they had during the Yield years. Marker in the Sand, I feel, is one of the most underrated songs in their catalog. 
    8. Lightning Bolt - Depending on the day Avocado & LB could probably switch spots here. This album holds a special place with me as its the first one my oldest daughter really got into and she loves the title track. 
    9. Ten - What, the holy grail behind Avocado & LB??? Don't get me wrong, I love the album, it's what got me into them in the first place. But if Vs. feels dated to me then you know I feel the same about this one. When I go back to listen now, it gives me more of a nostalgic feel than anything else. 
    10. Backspacer - This album gets such a bad rap, and I'm perpetuating it by ranking it 10th myself, but I think it's better than most people give it credit. 
    11. Riot Act - Give me some Green Disease, Get Right or I Am Mine any day of the week, but overall this album just feels like the band was tired and uninspired when they recorded it when you compare it to their other efforts. 

That was actually harder than I thought but I feel this is very accurate ranking (for me anyway). 

Post edited by Red Mosqito on