Why is there never enough merch?

Why is it everything that PJ produces seems to come short supplied?  You have to stand in line an hour before the show to get a Poster pay out the wazoo on eBay.  The plaid crossover shoe they did with Vans, out of stock before I had a chance back in the day.  The vinyl bundle.  It seems to me all they are doing is feeding a secondary market.  Now I fully admit I'm not on top of these things but if you're always selling out why not updating your estimates?  Yeah scarcity is value but damn there's value in making sure your fans aren't pissed off after standing in line forever and watching the last poster get sold before the opener has even taken the stage.

Comments

• tempo_n_groovetempo_n_groove Posts: 40,141
    21bottles said:
    Why is it everything that PJ produces seems to come short supplied?  You have to stand in line an hour before the show to get a Poster pay out the wazoo on eBay.  The plaid crossover shoe they did with Vans, out of stock before I had a chance back in the day.  The vinyl bundle.  It seems to me all they are doing is feeding a secondary market.  Now I fully admit I'm not on top of these things but if you're always selling out why not updating your estimates?  Yeah scarcity is value but damn there's value in making sure your fans aren't pissed off after standing in line forever and watching the last poster get sold before the opener has even taken the stage.
    You apparently weren't at any of the home shows?  Only venue that was in short supply of anything was Missoula.

They have ramped up production on EVERYTHING and "limited" doesn't mean what it used to considering the backpacks still in the shop were labeled "limited" when they first debuted.

If the backpacks had a better color scheme they would have sold out though, I will say that.
  • hrd2imgnhrd2imgn Posts: 4,895
    supply never meets demand as far as memorabilia, or you sit on inventory and lose money-  slap "limited" or "variant on it and you can charge 10x more too, as you just created artificial demand

However, if you make something people want, you can make a lot of it.
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,117
    edited March 2020
    more music less merch ( but more picks)
    Post edited by elwayvedder on
    more music less merch
    More Picks?
  • elwayvedderelwayvedder Posts: 9,117
    More Picks?
    fixed

More Picks?
    fixed

TY sir.
  • SHZASHZA Posts: 3,895
    Flippers 
  • BentleyspopBentleyspop Posts: 10,676
    SHZA said:
    Flippers 

• pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,053
    the vinyl bundle is in stock
  • 21bottles21bottles Posts: 27
    pdalowsky said:
    the vinyl bundle is in stock
    @pdalowsky I meant they at one point had a boxed set of all their releases on vinyl.  didn't make that clear did i?
    @tempo_n_groove no, i live in west virginia and unless i can get there in under 6 hours or so in a car it's not gonna happen

@hrd2imgn you're not going to convince me that someone who charges $35 bucks for a tshirt is going to lose money on overstock

• Don't get into sneaker collecting then.  Quickstrikes, etc, it's a whole new game.  I had no idea what I was getting into when I suddenly found myself getting a raffle ticket at skate shops for a one in 4000 chance at even buying pair.  The best part is that if you buy something, for every $20 you spend, you get another 1/4000 of a chance!  People were seriously spending $200 to get 10 more chances.  seriously blew my mind.
    I'm like an opening band for your mom.
    Overstock is more complicated than production cost.  Overstock costs money to store & inventory.  The longer you sit on it, the more it is costs.  I know that cost is mitigated in many ways, but is still cost.  The profit comes, butbthe longer it takes the less that is.
    hrd2imgn said:
    Overstock is more complicated than production cost.  Overstock costs money to store & inventory.  The longer you sit on it, the more it is costs.  I know that cost is mitigated in many ways, but is still cost.  The profit comes, butbthe longer it takes the less that is.
    Right, I worked for a company that sold wood working tools so believe me we have some hard to move inventory but again something tells me this whole organization is not changing tax brackets becaues they have to sit on some posters for a couple years.  But anyway, really i'm just being whiny.  have a good one.
    Don't get into sneaker collecting then.  Quickstrikes, etc, it's a whole new game.  I had no idea what I was getting into when I suddenly found myself getting a raffle ticket at skate shops for a one in 4000 chance at even buying pair.  The best part is that if you buy something, for every $20 you spend, you get another 1/4000 of a chance!  People were seriously spending $200 to get 10 more chances.  seriously blew my mind.
    All ruled by bots now.
  • Don't get into sneaker collecting then.  Quickstrikes, etc, it's a whole new game.  I had no idea what I was getting into when I suddenly found myself getting a raffle ticket at skate shops for a one in 4000 chance at even buying pair.  The best part is that if you buy something, for every $20 you spend, you get another 1/4000 of a chance!  People were seriously spending $200 to get 10 more chances.  seriously blew my mind.
    All ruled by bots now.
    Yeah, a lot of the online raffles for sure, locals are backdoored as well.  Sad shit but hype is real in any merch nowadays
    Don't get into sneaker collecting then.  Quickstrikes, etc, it's a whole new game.  I had no idea what I was getting into when I suddenly found myself getting a raffle ticket at skate shops for a one in 4000 chance at even buying pair.  The best part is that if you buy something, for every $20 you spend, you get another 1/4000 of a chance!  People were seriously spending $200 to get 10 more chances.  seriously blew my mind.
    All ruled by bots now.
    Yeah, a lot of the online raffles for sure, locals are backdoored as well.  Sad shit but hype is real in any merch nowadays
    There is zero dollars to make in kicks now.  Nike made sure to run the presses on them.  Unless it's a NikeLab limited run then it's just not worth it.  And yes, I have entered many a 21Lab raffles and have successfully failed at every attempt, lol.
    All ruled by bots now.
    There is zero dollars to make in kicks now.  Nike made sure to run the presses on them.  Unless it's a NikeLab limited run then it's just not worth it.  And yes, I have entered many a 21Lab raffles and have successfully failed at every attempt, lol.
    That Travis Scott dunk SB that came out last month was the end for me.  Fucking 1000 for a pair of sneakers I thought looked cool.  No thanks, I’ll stay away from that game now!
  • PJammer4lifePJammer4life Los Angeles Posts: 2,645
    I actually won last month the Jordan Off-White V on SNKRS. Was shocked.
    Bridge Benefit 1994, San Francisco 1995, San Diego 1995 1 & 2, Missoula 1998, Los Angeles 2000, San Diego 2000, Eddie Vedder/Beck 2/26/2002, Santa Barbara 2003, Irvine 2003, San Diego 2003, Vancouver 2005, Gorge 2005, San Diego 2006, Los Angeles 2006 1 & 2, Santa Barbara 2006, Eddie Vedder 4/10/08, Eddie Vedder 4/12/08, Eddie Vedder 4/15/08, 7/12/2008, SF 8/28/09, LA 9/30/09, LA 10/1/09, LA 10/06/09, LA 10/07/09, San Diego 10/09/09, Eddie Vedder 7/6/2011, Eddie Vedder 7/8/2011, PJ20 9/3/2011, PJ20 9/4/2011, Vancouver 9/25/2011, San Diego 11/21/13, LA 11/24/13, Ohana 9/25/21, Ohana 9/26/21, Ohana 10/1/21, EV 2/17/22, LA Forum 5/6/22, LA Forum 5/7/22, EV 10/1/22, EV 9/30/23
  • I actually won last month the Jordan Off-White V on SNKRS. Was shocked.
    Nice! Yeah I’ve gotten lucky a few times with the app.  The rest of the online raffles are a joke.  A got up to about 15 pairs and realized it’s just another money pit lol. Deleted snkrs so I stop
  • hihobibohihobibo Posts: 1,087
    By PJ creating a limited supply of their items, it has created an impulse buy mentality. Fans realize they cannot think too long about a Psst... post, because if they do, they will not have the opportunity to buy. So people click and buy in hopes that what they just bought becomes a collectible in the future. (Some fans, however, make that future a few hours, days or weeks, while others wait years to resell their collectibles.)

Even the pre-sale items are limited, which you'd assume a presale would entail producing enough product to meet the demand of all the presale requests. But as we saw with the Unplugged album, if you don't buy it within that 15 minute window, you miss out.

• PP193448PP193448 Here Posts: 4,281
    hihobibo said:
    By PJ creating a limited supply of their items, it has created an impulse buy mentality. Fans realize they cannot think too long about a Psst... post, because if they do, they will not have the opportunity to buy. So people click and buy in hopes that what they just bought becomes a collectible in the future. (Some fans, however, make that future a few hours, days or weeks, while others wait years to resell their collectibles.)

Even the pre-sale items are limited, which you'd assume a presale would entail producing enough product to meet the demand of all the presale requests. But as we saw with the Unplugged album, if you don't buy it within that 15 minute window, you miss out.

Yep.  And a lot of people get psst off with not scoring the “limited” items... see what I did there??  
    2006 Clev,Pitt; 2008 NY MSGx2; 2010 Columbus; 2012 Missoula; 2013 Phoenix,Vancouver,Seattle; 2014 Cincy; 2016 Lex, Wrigley 1&2; 2018 Wrigley 1&2; 2022 Louisville
    Buy buy buy before its gone....do it...press the button...just charge it...you toatally need it.....my precious