EV and Jeff will be on Bill Simmons podcast

Comments

• BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,844
    edited March 2020
    It was nice to hear Eddie and Jeff speak at such length, especially after so many years of relative silence, but this interview was such a missed opportunity.  Here is Pearl Jam with a new album, their first in over six years, and there was minimal discussion of the content of this album.  (Look at the Variety piece with Josh Evans for contrast.)  What ideas were animating you when you wrote and recorded this album?  What were you trying to say with these songs?  Jeff, tell me about the songs you wrote for this album.  Why did he spend so much time discussing the 1990s?  This era has been documented in excruciating detail in various media.  The answer to the question is because that's the period when Simmons paid a lot of attention to Pearl Jam, and he sees everything through the filter of his own experience.  More than once, he either said or implied, "You peaked in the 1990s."  Who says that to a band here to talk about its exciting and long-anticipated new release?

How many times do you think Simmons has sat down with "Gigatron" (sic) since he was fortunate to get his hands on a copy of it long before its official release?  I mean, actually sat down with the music-- not as background-- reading the lyrics and thinking about the content of the songs, presumably knowing that he was going to have this almost unprecedented opportunity to converse with band members and formulating questions about this new material.  Pearl Jam (especially Ed) are famously reticent to delve into the meaning of particular songs, and that's their prerogative, but ask the questions and let them answer or not answer. 

When Simmons brought up the Great Woods show 1998 (one of two shows at that venue on consecutive nights that year) and then talked about how "super-nerdy" Pearl Jam websites agree that it was one of the greatest shows they ever played, it revealed his solipsism.

This was a nice conversation that I'm glad I was able to hear, but I would love to hear a skilled and knowledgeable interviewer with a broad understanding of contemporary popular music and the catalog of this band get this same opportunity to do an in-depth interview that's not equally about the interviewer.
    Post edited by BF25394 on
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • The_Giant_MidgetThe_Giant_Midget Los Angeles Posts: 536
    Sounded like Ed had some help locally recording the audio (plus Skype) and sent Simmons the file, wish Jeff did the same.

You can tell Bill is a big but casual fan, not like us. That being said he did a good mix of everything - the bands history, Seattle, covid19 changing the tour, the new album and sports. Of course we all wish there was more hardcore fan stuff but that was never going to happen.

Ed was pretty funny throughout and gave some great stories which was surprising, guess he’s better at this sort of thing than he realizes. Jeff you can tell likes his personal space and has no problem being fairly direct but his love of sports was awesome. I wish those guys would do more media related stuff.

overall I enjoyed it and hope it’s a sign of more things like this to come. 

Beacon '08
    Philly 2-4 '09
    Newark '10
    MSG 1+2 '10
    E.V. Beacon 1+2 '11
    Made in America Festival '12
    Worcester 1+2 '13
    Brooklyn 1+2 '13
    Global Citizens Festival '15
    MSG 1+2 '16
    Fenway Park 1+2 '16
    Ohana '17
    Home Shows 1+2 '18
    Ohana '18
    Ohana '19
    Sea Hear Now '21
    Ohana '21
    LA 1+2 '22
    Austin 1+2 '23
    Ohana '23
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,626
    Ed was hilarious.  My wife and i were legit cracking up at some of his comments/reactions
  • on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,338
    How about Jeff winning three Punt-Pass-Kick trophies!!  So many great stories revealed. 😀
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• SmellymanSmellyman Asia Posts: 4,516
    Sounded like Ed had some help locally recording the audio (plus Skype) and sent Simmons the file, wish Jeff did the same.

You can tell Bill is a big but casual fan, not like us. That being said he did a good mix of everything - the bands history, Seattle, covid19 changing the tour, the new album and sports. Of course we all wish there was more hardcore fan stuff but that was never going to happen.

Ed was pretty funny throughout and gave some great stories which was surprising, guess he’s better at this sort of thing than he realizes. Jeff you can tell likes his personal space and has no problem being fairly direct but his love of sports was awesome. I wish those guys would do more media related stuff.

overall I enjoyed it and hope it’s a sign of more things like this to come. 

I just watched a video on a PJ superfan who collects everything and has met and knows the band a bit.  (I guess many of you know him and he is here)

Anyway he said he met Eddie and Ed likes him, Mike likes him, Stone tolerates him, Matt is ambivalent and Jeff does not like him.  :)

Jeff not down with the stalkers and yes likes his privacy.

Cracked me up
  • se7v7ense7v7en Philadelphia, PA Posts: 316
    BF25394 said:
    It was nice to hear Eddie and Jeff speak at such length, especially after so many years of relative silence, but this interview was such a missed opportunity.  Here is Pearl Jam with a new album, their first in over six years, and there was minimal discussion of the content of this album.  (Look at the Variety piece with Josh Evans for contrast.)  What ideas were animating you when you wrote and recorded this album?  What were you trying to say with these songs?  Jeff, tell me about the songs you wrote for this album.  Why did he spend so much time discussing the 1990s?  This era has been documented in excruciating detail in various media.  The answer to the question is because that's the period when Simmons paid a lot of attention to Pearl Jam, and he sees everything through the filter of his own experience.  More than once, he either said or implied, "You peaked in the 1990s."  Who says that to a band here to talk about its exciting and long-anticipated new release?

How many times do you think Simmons has sat down with "Gigatron" (sic) since he was fortunate to get his hands on a copy of it long before its official release?  I mean, actually sat down with the music-- not as background-- reading the lyrics and thinking about the content of the songs, presumably knowing that he was going to have this almost unprecedented opportunity to converse with band members and formulating questions about this new material.  Pearl Jam (especially Ed) are famously reticent to delve into the meaning of particular songs, and that's their prerogative, but ask the questions and let them answer or not answer. 

When Simmons brought up the Great Woods show 1998 (one of two shows at that venue on consecutive nights that year) and then talked about how "super-nerdy" Pearl Jam websites agree that it was one of the greatest shows they ever played, it revealed his solipsism.

This was a nice conversation that I'm glad I was able to hear, but I would love to hear a skilled and knowledgeable interviewer with a broad understanding of contemporary popular music and the catalog of this band get this same opportunity to do an in-depth interview that's not equally about the interviewer.
    This sums it up what I wanted to say perfectly.
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,889
    BF25394 said:

That's just not who Simmons is. He doesn't have a musical background nor is he a reviewer. He probably put the album on while working and liked what he heard.  He's a sports/pop culture guy. It's not surprising he often went back to a time when Pearl Jam was at their most popular. I thought he did as good as job as capable mixing in some history, sports stuff, and talking about present day issues.  
  • dreamweaverdreamweaver New York Posts: 697
    Best interview I've ever heard with the band. Hilarious story of Rodman at the end. 
    Meadowlands, MSG 1, MSG 2 - '98
    Jones Beach NY 1 + 3 - '00
    MSG 1 + 2 - '03
    Boston Garden - '04
    Montreal - '05
    Boston Garden 1, Meadowlands 1 + 2 - '06
    Mansfield 1 - '08
    (EV solo) Boston 1 - '08
    Chicago 1 - '09
    MSG -'10
    Brooklyn 1+2 - '13
    Central Park - '15
    MSG - '16
    Fenway - '16
    Wrigley - '16
    (RRHOF) Brooklyn - '17
    Fenway - '18
    MSG - '22
    Definitely the best interview ive heard with PJ. Maybe ever.  
    I don’t know who John is but I love that Ed has a guy on standby to get him a beer when he needs it.  

• SVRDhand13SVRDhand13 NYC Posts: 25,702
    se7v7en said:
    BF25394 said:

This sums it up what I wanted to say perfectly.
    Less nba too! 
    severed hand thirteen

2006: Gorge 7/23 2008: Hartford 6/27 Beacon 7/1 2009: Spectrum 10/30-31
    2010: Newark 5/18 MSG 5/20-21 2011: PJ20 9/3-4 2012: Made In America 9/2
    2013: Brooklyn 10/18-19 Philly 10/21-22 Hartford 10/25 2014: ACL10/12
    2015: NYC 9/23 2016: Tampa 4/11 Philly 4/28-29 MSG 5/1-2 Fenway 8/5+8/7
    2017: RRHoF 4/7   2018: Fenway 9/2+9/4   2021: Sea Hear Now 9/18 
    2022: MSG 9/11  2024: MSG 9/3-4 Philly 9/7+9/9 Fenway 9/15+9/17

LOOKING FOR TIX TO MSG NIGHT 2
  • I loved the podcast.  It was so fun to just hear them talk casually.  Not sure if this has been said yet but...drink every time you hear Eddie's zippo light up.

Denver, Phoenix, Seattle, Seattle, Seattle, Denver, Council Bluffs, Fargo, St. Paul, Chicago, Seattle, Gorge, Denver, Denver, Portland, Gorge, Gorge, Seattle, Seattle, Vancouver, Portland, Vancouver, Seattle
  • drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,364
    Which buenos aires show was jeff mentioning for DTE? 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • PapPap Aspra Spitia, Greece Posts: 28,060
    edited March 2020
    Post edited by Pap on
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024 / London 2024
    on2legs said:
    I don’t know who John is but I love that Ed has a guy on standby to get him a beer when he needs it.  
    Ah. To be a rock icon
    Pap said:
    Thank you
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
    edited March 2020
    Ed likes Billie Eilish. Maybe that will convert some people on this forum... 

Great listen. Kind of awkward at times, but it was enjoyable and informative. He closed it by calling the album Gigatron lol. 
    Post edited by drakeheuer14 on
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • BF25394BF25394 Posts: 2,844
    edited March 2020
    I loved the podcast.  It was so fun to just hear them talk casually.  Not sure if this has been said yet but...drink every time you hear Eddie's zippo light up.

That would get you even more drunk than if you drank every time Gov. Andrew Cuomo says the word "ventilator."
    I gather speed from you fucking with me.
  • rentas78rentas78 Posts: 3
    Did anybody figure this out or comment on this?
    I loved the podcast.  It was so fun to just hear them talk casually.  Not sure if this has been said yet but...drink every time you hear Eddie's zippo light up.
    I have counted 6 times through minute 89. 
    edited March 2020
    rentas78 said:
    Did anybody figure this out or comment on this?
    Sorry. Now I see the YouTube link. Thanks. 
  • jh275312jh275312 Posts: 89
    It’s just really sad how much Ed chain smokes. 
  • PJammin'PJammin' Posts: 1,585
    jh275312 said:
    It’s just really sad how much Ed chain smokes. 
    Yep. It’s taken a toll on his voice too. If he keeps it up, he’ll end up looking like Sean Penn. 
    I died. I died and you just stood there. I died and you watched. I died and you walked by and said no. I'm dead.
  • mickcaseymickcasey Posts: 90
    Nothing about music in this interview.  It would have been nice to learn about the creative process.  We get that Bill Simmons likes basketball.  
    mickcasey said:
    Nothing about music in this interview.  It would have been nice to learn about the creative process.  We get that Bill Simmons likes basketball.  
    His nickname is “The Sports Guy”.  They knew what kind of conversation they were going to have. 
    mickcasey said:
    I agree... Bill has a one track mind and it always runs through basketball.  But to be fair... Ed rarely gives up much inside info. He was asked a couple of music/concert related questions that he flat out refused to provide an answer for.  Ed likes to talk about other bands and sports but he really doesn’t open the vault on his creative process too much.  I don’t think you can really blame that too much on Bill. 

To be fair, basketball is the greatest sport ever
    To be fair, basketball is the greatest sport ever
    True.  Although I love football and love going to baseball games.  

Everytime i see your avatar i think “America Runs on PJ!”