Options

Should Pearl Jam presell tour posters online?

Comments

• Options
    myoung321myoung321 Posts: 2,855
    edited March 2020
    RE658041 said:
    And thanks myoung321 for showing photos. It's interesting to see.
    No problem and thank you!...   BTW- There's a bunch of these PJ fan images in an article I did a few years back over at Artist Waves ...    
    <code>&nbsp;&nbsp;
    Post edited by myoung321 on
    "The heart and mind are the true lens of the camera." - Yusuf Karsh

• Options
    craigraethercraigraether Posts: 1,243
    edited March 2020
    Sell online, but you should be able to buy the poster and shirt for the shows that you win in 10c lottery at the time you enter and win - that way you have to have gone to the said show. Since 10c is only 20-40% of the arena. Posters and shirts for everyone else at the venue. I dont want to cart that stuff around..esp in the GA..
  • Options
    Peasant TentsPeasant Tents UK Posts: 836
    It would be great if we can pre order posters, event shits and stickers & pins!
  • Options
    lexicondevillexicondevil Bay Area Posts: 1,942
    I really hope they decide to finally let us buy posters and shirts from the shows online. I just can't justify standing in a line for hours to buy a poster and shirt. This would also cut down on some of the flipping and help get the stuff into the hands of fans who want a keepsake from the show. The ONLY thing I can see preventing this is the venue objecting, as they do take a cut from onsite sales.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    1992- Lollapalooza, Irvine, California
    Nothing since then. I suck.
    2016- Fenway Park, Boston - Both glorious nights
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Options
    Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,179
    The same fans that shout down anyone pointing out tickets are way below market value and that’s the only possible way it can be done for every ticket, have no issue with a band that goes out of its way to drive up the market value of its merchandise.
  • Options
    on2legson2legs Standing in the Jersey rain… Posts: 14,490
    I really hope they decide to finally let us buy posters and shirts from the shows online. I just can't justify standing in a line for hours to buy a poster and shirt. This would also cut down on some of the flipping and help get the stuff into the hands of fans who want a keepsake from the show. The ONLY thing I can see preventing this is the venue objecting, as they do take a cut from onsite sales.
    What about the artists?

i thought the artist supplies the art for the show posters free of charge to the band and then gets paid from the proceeds when they do their AP release after the show.  

If everyone gets a poster online before the shows who is going to pay for an AP?   I’m sure some artists will still sell out but a lot of artists might not be able to do that if there isn’t a demand.  
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,407
    on2legs said:
    What about the artists?

i thought the artist supplies the art for the show posters free of charge to the band and then gets paid from the proceeds when they do their AP release after the show.  

If everyone gets a poster online before the shows who is going to pay for an AP?   I’m sure some artists will still sell out but a lot of artists might not be able to do that if there isn’t a demand.  
    The not so awesome art AP’s don’t sell in the current model anyways. The cream will always rise..
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    What about the artists?

The not so awesome art AP’s don’t sell in the current model anyways. The cream will always rise..
    Yeah... no argument there.  Just mentioning that lessening the poster demand interferes with the artist’s paycheck. 
    1996: Randall's Island 2  1998: East Rutherford | MSG 1 & 2  2000: Cincinnati | Columbus | Jones Beach 1, 2, & 3 | Boston 1 | Camden 1 & 2 2003: Philadelphia | Uniondale | MSG 1 & 2 | Holmdel  2005: Atlantic City 1  2006: Camden 1 | East Rutherford 1 & 2 2008: Camden 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Newark (EV)  2009: Philadelphia 1, 2 & 4  2010: Newark | MSG 1 & 2  2011: Toronto 1  2013: Wrigley Field | Brooklyn 2 | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore  2015: Central Park  2016: Philadelphia 1 & 2 | MSG 1 & 2 | Fenway Park 2 | MSG (TOTD)  2017: Brooklyn (RnR HOF)  2020: MSG | Asbury Park  2021: Asbury Park  2022: MSG | Camden | Nashville  2024: MSG 1 & 2 (#50) | Philadelphia 1 & 2 | Baltimore

• Options
    mfc2006mfc2006 HTOWN Posts: 37,389
    I think I was able to preorder my Portland 2013 poster. I may be mistaken though...I could be thinking of ACL 2009.
    I LOVE MUSIC.
    www.cluthelee.com
    www.cluthe.com
  • Options
    SHZASHZA St. Louis, MO USA Posts: 3,420
    They do drop the posters online for 10c members
  • Options
    RobbyD462RobbyD462 Victoria BC Posts: 4,785
    RE658041 said:
    I can waste 15 minutes in poster line. No problem.
    If only it was 15 minutes instead of hours to wait.
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/21/9 -Vancouver,B.C-Rogers Arena-12/4/13 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/6/24
    -Seattle,Wash-Key Arena-9/22/9 -Pemberton,B.C-7/17/16
    -Vancouver,B.C-GM Place -9/25/9 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/8/18
    -Vancouver,B.C-Pacific Coliseum-9/25/11 -Seattle,Wash-Safeco Field-8/10/18
    -Misoula,MT-Adams Field House-9/30/12 -Vancouver,BC-Rogers Arena-5/4/24

• Options
    edited March 2020
    on2legs said:
    What about the artists?

Exactly... Artist Prints and Special Editions will always be sold directly from the artists. I'm sure this is part of the arrangement between band and artist. That shouldn't change.. but  the normal Show Edition print pre-sale to Ten Club lottery ticket winners for the show/s they won would be pretty cool.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    The same fans that shout down anyone pointing out tickets are way below market value and that’s the only possible way it can be done for every ticket, have no issue with a band that goes out of its way to drive up the market value of its merchandise.
    I'd have to read through the posts again, but pretty sure no one has mentioned poster or merch prices or money spent in this thread... just time spent in those merch lines.
    Post edited by myoung321 on

• Options
    VeddernarianVeddernarian Posts: 1,922
    Maybe have a limited edition tied to my ticket purchase.  I.e., my ticket identification or some other proof I was there and then I could order shirt/poster/program.  Why?  I just hate the burden of carrying it around, holding it, protecting it for the duration of the concert.  Pain in the ass.
    Up here so high I start to shake, Up here so high the sky I scrape, I've no fear but for falling down, So look out below I am falling now, Falling down,...not staying down, Could’ve held me up, rather tear me down, Drown in the river
  • Options
    Maybe have a limited edition tied to my ticket purchase.  I.e., my ticket identification or some other proof I was there and then I could order shirt/poster/program.  Why?  I just hate the burden of carrying it around, holding it, protecting it for the duration of the concert.  Pain in the ass.
    no kidding... nothing worse than having to worry about a poster during the show. Most of the time they hand you a poster and a tube.
    Now its up to you to find a place to roll it and get it into the tube before it gets screwed up.

• Options
    Red MosqitoRed Mosqito Posts: 1,239
    on2legs said:
    What about the artists?

You are living in a fantasy world if you think the artist make all those posters for free. I'm sure they're getting compensated somehow as I haven't met too many artist that said "sure, let me do a whole bunch of these posters for you for free because your Pearl Jam and it'll be good for my exposure as an artist." 
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    Yeah, if you HAPPEN to be online within the first fifteen minutes or less, for the popular posters. C'mon.
    1991- Hollywood Palladium, California with Temple of the Dog, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains -RIP Magazine Show Oct. 6th
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Options
    drakeheuer14drakeheuer14 Posts: 4,407
    on2legs said:
    What about the artists?

You are living in a fantasy world if you think the artist make all those posters for free. I'm sure they're getting compensated somehow as I haven't met too many artist that said "sure, let me do a whole bunch of these posters for you for free because your Pearl Jam and it'll be good for my exposure as an artist." 
    It’s the real world. 
    Pittsburgh 2013
    Cincinnati 2014
    Greenville 2016
    (Raleigh 2016)
    Columbia 2016
  • Options
    on2legs said:
    What about the artists?

Yeah... you’re the one in the fantasy world.  But don’t take my word for it.  You can take Brad Klausen’s word for it right here in this forum. 

You can read the whole thread here... lots of good info and posts from Brad about how the poster sales work In the real world.  ;)

https://community.pearljam.com/discussion/comment/6743771#Comment_6743771

• Options
    Staney12Staney12 Posts: 43
    Standing in line for the whole day  just to learn that they have sold out is REALLY frustrating.

I’d definitely prefer to be able to buy a poster in advance even if it means paying for it without seeing it first..
  • Options
    mpedonempedone 540xxx - Manchester, NH Posts: 1,895
    myoung321 said:
    RE658041 said:
    I can waste 15 minutes in poster line. No problem.
    I see your location is Sweden, from my personal experience the merch lines in Europe are nothing like the big US shows... were talking several hours, not minutes.

Trieste 2014 a few hours before show time - basically no line 

--------------------------------
    Now compare that to 2016 Ft Lauderdale - 6 hours before doors open

Below... Wrigley 16... people on the left are not going into stadium.. they are in merch line..   

Denver 14 - 4 hours before doors open - line wrapped around arena.

The merch lines are mercurial - in Tampa, we got to the arena just before doors opened, waited a few minutes in the "line" at the merch truck, bought a couple of shirts and the poster, and went inside, where we bought a tube. I don't know if that line was hours long before the stand opened - it was my first PJ show in 10 years, and my 10C membership had lapsed. I did read on here after the fact that the poster wasn't super well-received (and, admittedly, not as nice as the Ft Lauderdale).
    Honestly, I don't mind waiting in line for a bit. I prefer lines to the amorphous blob that forms around in-venue merch stands. Honestly, I don't stress about it too much.
    "I'm a lucky man, to count on both hands the [shows I've done]. Some folks just have one, others they got none..."

Hartford 10.02.96 | Mansfield 2 09.16.98 | Mansfield 1 08.29.00 | Mansfield 1 07.02.03 | Mansfield 3 07.11.03 | Boston 2 05.25.06 | Tampa 04.11.16 | Fenway 1 08.05.16 | Fenway 2 08.07.16 | Fenway 1 09.02.18 | Fenway 2 09.04.18 | Baltimore 03.28.20 | Hamilton 09.06.22 | Toronto 09.08.22 | Nashville 09.16.22 | St Louis 09.18.22

"He made the deal with the devil, we get to play with him.
    He goes to hell, of course. We're going to heaven."
  • Options
    hihobibohihobibo Tampa, FL Posts: 1,063
    edocon said:
    It probably makes more business sense to sell posters at the venue since you might buy a t-shirt or some other items after having waited in line. 
    But shirt people are also holding up the line sizing the shirts, when the people around them are missing out on posters. They know their rabid customers. If they had a separate line for each item (hats, posters, shirts, stickers), the 10 Club fans would hit every line. 
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    Yeah, if you HAPPEN to be online within the first fifteen minutes or less, for the popular posters. C'mon.
    It's not like they're dropping unexpectedly at 3 a.m. or something. It's a very predictable time of day and you just have to pay attention. C'mon 
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    SHZA said:
    It's not like they're dropping unexpectedly at 3 a.m. or something. It's a very predictable time of day and you just have to pay attention. C'mon 
    Sure. Thanks for the great advice. Pay attention. I will try to do that. It's not like a have a job or anything, or that they go within minutes, or the fact that they actually don't tell people when they are going to be dropping. You are brilliant. Everyone make sure to follow this genius advice the next time something insanely rare is randomly put online for thousands to try and snag. "You just have to pay attention." :open_mouth:
    2022- Oakland Night 2
    2024 Sacramento, CA
  • Options
    Merkin BallerMerkin Baller Posts: 10,556
    edited March 2020
    "The band should do this thing that would benefit me greatly, regardless of whether or not it's a good business decision. Sure, there will be less profit for them, as this it will only add to their expense & overhead, but it's what I want, so they should do it."
  • Options
    LukinFanLukinFan Florida Posts: 29,019
    Chris Stapleton sold his online the day of the show for fan club members, and then also sold then for the same price inside the venue. 
    www.RLMcDaniel.com

1996: Ft Lauderdale
    1998: Birmingham
    2000: Charlotte, Tampa
    2003: Tampa, Atlanta, Phoenix
    2004: Kissimmee
    2008: West Palm Beach, Bonnaroo, Columbia
    2010: MSG2
    2012: Music Midtown
    2014: Memphis
    2016: Ft. Lauderdale, Miami, Jacksonville, JazzFest
    2018: Wrigley 1, Fenway 1
    2022: Nashville
    2023: Ft. Worth II
  • Options
    SHZA said:
    SHZA said:
    Sure. Thanks for the great advice. Pay attention. I will try to do that. It's not like a have a job or anything, or that they go within minutes, or the fact that they actually don't tell people when they are going to be dropping. You are brilliant. Everyone make sure to follow this genius advice the next time something insanely rare is randomly put online for thousands to try and snag. "You just have to pay attention." :open_mouth:
    Let's just complain and wish for something that will never happen instead of actually trying. Even better advice.
  • Options
    coachkeczcoachkecz Posts: 27
    We don't need to come up with the ultimate solution. I'll trust the band to work with the artists, the fulfillment team, the venues, etc,; they're all competent professionals. I'll just join the chorus of folks saying "Hi, we love the posters but would appreciate you all putting some additional thought into how to improve the process, particularly as it relates to the day-of-show/in-show experience. Thank you!"
  • Options
    KN219077KN219077 Montana Posts: 910
    edited March 2020
    LukinFan said:
    Chris Stapleton sold his online the day of the show for fan club members, and then also sold then for the same price inside the venue. 

Yeah, I don’t know, it just doesn’t seem right to offer actual benefits to your fan club members.
  • Options
    CantKeepmedownCantKeepmedown Portland, Maine Posts: 2,930
    SHZA said:
    SHZA said:
    I mean, he could've said it differently, but the 2016 poster drops were pretty much daily and around the same time each morning.  And if not, Santos usually let us know not to waste our time.  So, yeah, if you're in a job that won't allow you to monitor the board for a half hour time frame, then it sucks. But the 10C did a pretty good job of making it consistent.