Question about selling tickets and "walking in together".

gotthebottlegotthebottle Posts: 2,642
edited February 2020 in The Porch
I know most of us are good fans, reliable, trustworthy toward other fans. But what will protect you when someone says they have extra ticket and they'll walk in with you ....do you pay up front, pay at venue? If you don't pay up front might they resell out from under you? If you pay up front what stops them from selling ticket again and again....this process such as it is has some concerns for me....any insight/thoughts?

Comments

• PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    I always have a hard time with this too. As a buyer I want to be protected and know the seller is not going to shaft me and leave me high and dry on the day of the show after I pay beforehand. As a seller I want to be protected that the buyer who says they will pay at the venue is actually going to show up and I am not going to have to eat the tickets if they do not. In the past we had to meet at the venue as it was to get tickets from the person that we were buying from so nothing has really changed there just this time they have to hold your hand into the venue. It really all depends on who you are buying from. If its here I would say a couple of posts only from the person would have me worried a bit. Maybe in that case I would split it where pay half now and half later. That way there is risk on both sides. If I did know that the person was reputable and they were the one selling I would let them call the shots. 
  • yeah. the half now/half later thing usually works. But they can take half and then still sell again since the ticks can't be taken off their phone....it's a concern all right
  • PearlJamFanLVPearlJamFanLV Posts: 43
    edited February 2020
    Funny you mention that.  I've been a member for years and have always used my tickets for myself, family, or friends.  Never sold any.   Always willing to help a fellow 10c member, especially one that got screwed with the new lottery system.
    Post edited by PearlJamFanLV on
  • Funny you mention that.  I've been a member for years and have always used my tickets for myself, family, or friends.  Never sold any.  But may have to sell 2 tickets to a show this time, not looking to rape anyone, but I've invested money for the last 20+ years on the 10c and would to finally reap something from it.  Always willing to help a fellow 10c member, especially one that got screwed with the new lottery system.
    check your PM!!
    Funny you mention that.  I've been a member for years and have always used my tickets for myself, family, or friends.  Never sold any.  But may have to sell 2 tickets to a show this time, not looking to rape anyone, but I've invested money for the last 20+ years on the 10c and would to finally reap something from it.  Always willing to help a fellow 10c member, especially one that got screwed with the new lottery system.
    Care to go a little more in depth with the bolded?
  • NewfieintheUSANewfieintheUSA Posts: 2,416
    edited February 2020
    PJNB said:
    Funny you mention that.  I've been a member for years and have always used my tickets for myself, family, or friends.  Never sold any.  But may have to sell 2 tickets to a show this time, not looking to rape anyone, but I've invested money for the last 20+ years on the 10c and would to finally reap something from it.  Always willing to help a fellow 10c member, especially one that got screwed with the new lottery system.
    Care to go a little more in depth with the bolded?
    @PearlJamFanLV, are you really implying that you want to make some money off of your extra tickets? 
    Post edited by NewfieintheUSA on
  • kasedougkasedoug Posts: 2,933
    If you are going to pay upfront, whether it be the whole cost or half now/half later, just be sure to always pay via goods & services so you are protected. If the seller asks you to cover the extra 3% so they get the whole cost, it's worth the extra little bit for the peace of mind.
  • kasedoug said:
    If you are going to pay upfront, whether it be the whole cost or half now/half later, just be sure to always pay via goods & services so you are protected. If the seller asks you to cover the extra 3% so they get the whole cost, it's worth the extra little bit for the peace of mind.
    Agree
    kasedoug said:
    Has this actually changed to protect you? In the past Paypal did not protect me when I needed them to when I went this method and got screwed out of tickets. They had no tracking number or anything to tie the sale to if memory serves me right. 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    I've never done the buy/sell with strangers thing but I thought they set up something this time, at least for fan club tickets, where the ticket is transferred to the buyer on their cell phone??? No?  That's why I don't do this, too much hassle.  
    edited February 2020
  • so there really is no guarantee except someone's word it seems..
  • so there really is no guarantee except someone's word it seems..
    Unfortunately yes. That's why trying to arrange via Fan to Fan may be best, unless you trust the person
    so there really is no guarantee except someone's word it seems..
    I think thats right and really there are scammers out there and people have already been duped on facebook groups that I have seen but I would feel very confident here. 

It really has not changed anything that much from the past. Now we just have to wait at the door with the person which is a pain instead of meeting at willcall or near the venue to exchange. 
  • PureandEasyPureandEasy Posts: 5,799
    well for actually having to walk in with the person, no, but there will be an option to transfer tickets per 10 club, available Feb 18.  I believe that would be the safe option.  
    well for actually having to walk in with the person, no, but there will be an option to transfer tickets per 10 club, available Feb 18.  I believe that would be the safe option.  
    This is true obviously and great for the seller but there still is something that I think we should still be able to do on these boards and that is help others out here first. Of course you could throw your pair up on the exchange and joe blow (who probably is a fantastic fan and very well could be from here) is going to grab it or you could make someones day here that is ISO and help them out. 

By the way things are getting locked in the Given to Fly section it would appear that even meeting up with people is not how they are seeing us make trades and sales on that forum anymore. Sad really since I have made plenty of friends here doing just that. 
  • kasedougkasedoug Posts: 2,933
    PJNB said:
    kasedoug said:
    Has this actually changed to protect you? In the past Paypal did not protect me when I needed them to when I went this method and got screwed out of tickets. They had no tracking number or anything to tie the sale to if memory serves me right. 
    I’m not sure how it would differ with a ticket/experience vs. a physical good, but I had to open a case against someone on this forum for a poster that I purchased that they lied to me multiple times about shipping and never produced a tracking number. After a month of waiting, I reached out to PayPal and they immediately escalated it for me since the seller wasn’t responding for weeks at a time and they ultimately closed it in my favor and refunded. Thankful that I paid goods & services, as I would not have had any recourse otherwise.

Only done it once for tickets, and thankfully the person came through.
    kasedoug said:
    PJNB said:
    kasedoug said:
    I’m not sure how it would differ with a ticket/experience vs. a physical good, but I had to open a case against someone on this forum for a poster that I purchased that they lied to me multiple times about shipping and never produced a tracking number. After a month of waiting, I reached out to PayPal and they immediately escalated it for me since the seller wasn’t responding for weeks at a time and they ultimately closed it in my favor and refunded. Thankful that I paid goods & services, as I would not have had any recourse otherwise.

Only done it once for tickets, and thankfully the person came through.
    Since tickets are a digital item they are not covered. If they were supposed to ship hard tickets to you then it would be. You would be just giving money away imo doing goods and services since you are not protected. 
  • The fan to fan exchange should address all these issues of buyers or sellers not being trustworthy.  The downside is not being able to select who you’re buying from or selling to, but then again if you have a particular buyer or seller in mind for a walk in together arrangement presumably you trust them or you’d just use the exchange.  Of course there may not be many tickets on the exchange for some shows, but the shortage of tickets isn’t due to exchange vs forum transaction type but rather the popularity itself.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • so all the ISO threads are pretty much a waste of time....
  • so all the ISO threads are pretty much a waste of time....
    I think so.  There’s a show or two I’d like to still buy for, but I’m not even bothering to check or post on the ISO.  Exchange, ticket drop, or bust.
    PJ: 2013: London (ON); Buffalo; 2014: Cincinnati; 2016: Sunrise, Miami, Toronto 1-2, Wrigley 2; 2018: London (UK) 1, Milan, Padova, Sea 2, Wrigley 1-2, Fenway 1-2; 2021: SHN, Ohana, Ohana Encore 1-2; 2022: LA 1-2, Phx, Oak 1-2, Fresno, Copenhagen, Hyde Park 1-2; Quebec, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto; MSG, Camden, Nashville, Louisville, St. Louis, OKC; 2023: St. Paul 1-2, Chicago 1-2; Fort Worth 2; Austin 1-2; 2024:  Vancouver 1-2, LV 1-2, LA 1-2, Napa, Barcelona 1-2

EV Solo: 2017 Louisville and Franklin, 2018 Ohana, 2019 Innings Fest, Berlin, Düsseldorf, Dublin and Ohana; 2021 Ohana Friday (from beach) and Saturday; 2022 Earthlings Newark; 2023 Innings Fest and Benoraya 1-2.

Gutted:  London 2 2018, Sacramento 2022, Noblesville 2023
  • LYackyLYacky Posts: 72
    It's kinda disappointing that you can't legally transfer your tiks through the Fan 2 Fan Exchange between someone of your own choosing. I mean seriously, if you have a friend or family member who wants to purchase your tik(s) from you at face value or, God forbid you want to gift someone with your tik you should be able to do so in the exchange without hassle or penalty. Tik holders should be able to trade their tiks with other tik holders if they want to switch seats etc. I mean really, what's the big deal there? Nobody is profiting from it and it's a private transaction between the two parties. 🤷‍♀️
  • LYacky said:
    It's kinda disappointing that you can't legally transfer your tiks through the Fan 2 Fan Exchange between someone of your own choosing. I mean seriously, if you have a friend or family member who wants to purchase your tik(s) from you at face value or, God forbid you want to gift someone with your tik you should be able to do so in the exchange without hassle or penalty. Tik holders should be able to trade their tiks with other tik holders if they want to switch seats etc. I mean really, what's the big deal there? Nobody is profiting from it and it's a private transaction between the two parties. 🤷‍♀️
    Well, because people could easily profit from it. If you can pick who to send the tickets to, you just made a scalper's life a whole lot easier for every show.
  • So... all the mechanism to prevent the big bad resellers from making a profit have also prevented the true fans from buying tickets to a show from someone with an extra who wants to sell it to them. I'm not convinced this is better....
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    So... all the mechanism to prevent the big bad resellers from making a profit have also prevented the true fans from buying tickets to a show from someone with an extra who wants to sell it to them. I'm not convinced this is better....
    It really hasn't prevented it.  I have a ticket buddy for Toronto that I have never met.  We are meeting in Toronto and she will give me the money for her ticket.  It's not that different from how it used to be.  Instead of selling my ticket buddy a hard ticket that I picked up from 10c willcall I am selling an extra digital ticket and we will walk in together.  
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    edited February 2020
    I have always asked someone buying from me to give me the money the day of the show and expected to pay then too.  That's why I was surprised when someone asked me to pay in advance for a pair of tickets in 2018.  A friend of mine vouched for the guy though and it went fine.  
    The only time someone didn't show up when they were going to buy my spare was in 2008.  I think they got confused about which Tweeter Center show I had a spare for that year.  I had a spare for Camden and they didn't show up.  I didn't have a spare for Mansfield as a friend was buying my 2nd ticket for that show.  I ended up selling my spare Camden ticket for half price.
    Post edited by Yefa on
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
    LYacky said:
    Well, because people could easily profit from it. If you can pick who to send the tickets to, you just made a scalper's life a whole lot easier for every show.
    I'm talking about a sale or a tik swap through the Fan 2 Fan Exchange so nobody can profit from it. You'd be selling that tik to your friend or family member through the exchange for the original tik price, nothing more. As for a direct tik swap (my seats for your seat or my date for your date) you'd literally be just transferring the tiks from one person to the other through the Fan 2 Fan system with no money exchanged. Anyways it's just a thought. 
    So... all the mechanism to prevent the big bad resellers from making a profit have also prevented the true fans from buying tickets to a show from someone with an extra who wants to sell it to them. I'm not convinced this is better....
    Once again you can still meet up at the venue like in the past. If they can not make the show they would in the past eat the cost of the tickets and 10club would help another fan out with them. Now if you can not make the show you get your money back.
    LYacky said:
    LYacky said:
    I'm talking about a sale or a tik swap through the Fan 2 Fan Exchange so nobody can profit from it. You'd be selling that tik to your friend or family member through the exchange for the original tik price, nothing more. As for a direct tik swap (my seats for your seat or my date for your date) you'd literally be just transferring the tiks from one person to the other through the Fan 2 Fan system with no money exchanged. Anyways it's just a thought. 
    There would still be side deals though forcing you to pay extra to get access to those tickets from scalpers. Of course being able to transfer to a family or friend would be great but it would be easily abused. Also would you not trust your family member with your TM account? I would. 
    PJNB said:
    LYacky said:
    LYacky said:
    There would still be side deals though forcing you to pay extra to get access to those tickets from scalpers. Of course being able to transfer to a family or friend would be great but it would be easily abused. Also would you not trust your family member with your TM account? I would. 
    Oh yeah for sure I would trust them but it's the whole issue of having to go that route. It'd just be a lot easier if there were a way to simply transfer them beforehand (again with no money exchanged) from one TM account to the other. Plus what if you just wanted to direct exchange tiks between 10C members for a better seat? Settle it beforehand and you wouldn't have to give a stranger access to your account. I suppose in the end no system TM, PJ or 10C comes up with will ever be perfect but I do appreciate all their efforts to combat scalpers and the dreaded bots. 
This discussion has been closed.