Anyone else hear River Cross on the Verizon Superbowl commercial? [Video]

124»

Comments

• Vedd HeddVedd Hedd Posts: 4,590
    At least one other time they partnered with Verizon.  I remember downloading bootleg snippets to my Verizon flip phone.  Did anyone get one of these gift bags in 2008?
    https://www.verizon.com/about/news/vzw/2008/06/pr2008-06-11
    Wow. I had completely forgotten about that. Remember when AT&T censored their lolla performance? I wonder if this was the result. 
    Turn this anger into
    Nuclear fission
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I absolutely love the pump organ. Very into the wildish.  I am genuinely excited for this album and tour.  
    This song sounds like it is going to be phenomenal and a great closer to a spectacular album.
    Absolutely with you both, super excited about it. Wasnt wild about DOTC, but its grown on me - but this one sounds brilliant right off the bat from that snippet

• Interesting to see that parts of the fanbase now have moved the goalposts all the way over to KISS to defend choices being made.
    "Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • igotid88igotid88 Posts: 27,790
    Interesting to see that parts of the fanbase now have moved the goalposts all the way over to KISS to defend choices being made.
    You're taking it too far with the they sold out. Ed gave Stand Up 2 Cancer "Rise." They're getting money for their foundation with this ad. Even the Target ad was to promote Backspacer. They made a deal with Target because they needed a large retailer. Rather Target than Wal-Mart.
    I miss igotid88
  • PapPap Posts: 28,775
    Reminded me of Indifference. What a great closer! :bow:
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024
  • igotid88 said:
    Interesting to see that parts of the fanbase now have moved the goalposts all the way over to KISS to defend choices being made.
    You're taking it too far with the they sold out. Ed gave Stand Up 2 Cancer "Rise." They're getting money for their foundation with this ad. Even the Target ad was to promote Backspacer. They made a deal with Target because they needed a large retailer. Rather Target than Wal-Mart.
    Stand Up To Cancer was conceived of in autumn 2007, by a group of women who had been affected by cancer and believe that by merging the recourse of the media and entertainment industries into a single operation they would be able to fight against this disease in a more profound way.

=/=

Verizon Communications Inc. (About this soundlisten (help·info)) (/vəˈraɪzən/ və-RY-zən) is an American multinational telecommunications conglomerate and a corporate component of the Dow Jones Industrial Average.

"Mostly I think that people react sensitively because they know you’ve got a point"
  • erocshiftyerocshifty Posts: 1,170
    I did my "jorb" and retweeted the ad. I wasn't particularly surprised when I heard this song in the commercial. I got more of a pleasant feeling. :) 
    "It's best to live in grace before you're forced to." EV- 10/09/2014 
  • I have no problem with how the band allows their art to be used. Just as a previous poster mentioned about Kiss, or the Black Keys for that matter. Its theirs, if they want it in a commercial, so be it. I'm not gunna hold them to the standards they had for themselves in 1995 anymore.
    This post is great, especially the bold part.  It's time to move on from the 90's, folks.
  • Didn’t know criticizing companies was only for the 90s.
  • Didn’t know criticizing companies was only for the 90s.
    Not what I said. Not what AKRounder said.
  • JimmyVJimmyV Posts: 19,128
    Faux outrage and finger wagging. 

"...I changed by not changing at all..."
  • Spiritual_ChaosSpiritual_Chaos Posts: 30,154
    edited February 2020
    I have no problem with how the band allows their art to be used. Just as a previous poster mentioned about Kiss, or the Black Keys for that matter. Its theirs, if they want it in a commercial, so be it. I'm not gunna hold them to the standards they had for themselves in 1995 anymore.
    This post is great, especially the bold part.  It's time to move on from the 90's, folks.
    And why does that move have to be backwards exactly? Other than it being a well-worn platitude thrown around here since I registered 15-something years ago.
    Post edited by Spiritual_Chaos on
    edited February 2020
    Didn’t know criticizing companies was only for the 90s.
    If Pearl Jam in the present needs to be  correct, then what they did, said and stood for yesterday need to be explained away somehow.

Hence, the birth of "it's not the 90s anymore"

And to preface, I have never said they need to stay 25 years old and longhaired "just because". Eddie shorthaired making a musicvideo in 2002 beats that.
  • I have no problem with how the band allows their art to be used. Just as a previous poster mentioned about Kiss, or the Black Keys for that matter. Its theirs, if they want it in a commercial, so be it. I'm not gunna hold them to the standards they had for themselves in 1995 anymore.
    And why does that move have to be backwards exactly? Other than it being a well-worn platitude thrown around here since I registered 15-something years ago.
    Their song is in a commercial, whoop-de-fucking-do.  How exactly is that moving backwards?

Again, read the part I bolded when I quoted AKR's post.  It's great advice.  If you think any of these guys haven't enjoyed creature comforts, made deals with corporations, held or paid to do private corp events, etc over the past 25 years, I've got some disappointing news for ya.
  • mvwmvw Posts: 1,687
    Reminds me a lot of Imagine. 
    I kind of felt that vibe too.  I’m anxious to hear the whole song.
  • mcgruff10mcgruff10 Posts: 28,397
    edited February 2020
    pdalowsky said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:
    I absolutely love the pump organ. Very into the wildish.  I am genuinely excited for this album and tour.  
    This song sounds like it is going to be phenomenal and a great closer to a spectacular album.
    Absolutely with you both, super excited about it. Wasnt wild about DOTC, but its grown on me - but this one sounds brilliant right off the bat from that snippet

@pdalowsky which shows are you doing this year?
    Post edited by mcgruff10 on
    I'll ride the wave where it takes me......
    edited February 2020
    I have no problem with how the band allows their art to be used. Just as a previous poster mentioned about Kiss, or the Black Keys for that matter. Its theirs, if they want it in a commercial, so be it. I'm not gunna hold them to the standards they had for themselves in 1995 anymore.
    Their song is in a commercial, whoop-de-fucking-do.  How exactly is that moving backwards?
    I will remember to respond to this in a more thought out fashion tomorrow, if my fever is down. Even if we will obviously not agree.

But yes, to me it is a "whop-de-fucking-do" and it is my belief, that is both telling and a bit sad that the fanbase as a whole has gone into a "whatever" mode regarding both this and also other things happening.

And again, if this is not clear - I have never said they should keep tickets at 25 dollars or that them working with Ticketmaster is unforgivable. I am not coming from that place.
  • drandodrando Posts: 70
    Kearn5y said:
    I like this little snipped more than the whole of Dance of the Clairvoyants

Fully agree.
  • Same people complaining that they're taking money from Verizon for their art that they created are the same people who won't actually purchase an album and pay for their art...
  • In 2020 I couldn't really care less where they make their money, just glad they're still a band.  I loved Ed's solo version of this song, and can't wait to hear the album version.  This album feels a lot more focussed than the last couple of efforts.
  • In 2020 I couldn't really care less where they make their money, just glad they're still a band.  I loved Ed's solo version of this song, and can't wait to hear the album version.  This album feels a lot more focussed than the last couple of efforts.
    100% agree, my dude
    2000- 9/1 Camden
    2003- 4/28 Philly, 7/5 Camden
    2005- 10/3 Philly
    2006- 5/27 Camden, 5/28 Camden, 6/3 East Rutherford
    2008- 6/19 Camden, 6/20 Camden
    2009- 10/29 Philly, 10/28 Philly, 10/30 Philly, 10/31 Philly
    2012- 9/2 Made In America
    2013- 10/21 Philly, 10/22 Philly
    2016- 4/28 Philly, 4/29 Philly
    Wishlist: Thumbing My Way, Black Red Yellow, Sleight of Hand
  • pdalowskypdalowsky Posts: 15,049
    mcgruff10 said:
    pdalowsky said:
    PJNB said:
    mcgruff10 said:

@pdalowsky which shows are you doing this year?
    only European ones Mike sadly, I would dearly love to get to the states too but finances wont permit. I'll be watching the setlists from afar though .....

For me its London, Berlin and Amsterdam so far
  • D-RodD-Rod Hamilton, Ontario Posts: 1,835
    mcgruff10 said:
    can't wait to hear this song live 
    1996.....Toronto
    2005.....Hamilton
    2011.....Toronto N1, Toronto N2, Hamilton
    2013.....London, Buffalo
    2014.....Detroit
    2016.....Toronto N1 Toronto N2, Boston  N1, Boston N2, Chicago N1
    2018.....Seattle N1, Seattle N2
    2022.....San Diego, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Phoenix, Oakland N1, Oakland N2, Quebec City, Ottawa, Hamilton, Toronto  
    2023.....Fort Worth N1, Fort Worth N2, Austin N1, Austin N2
    2024.....Las Vegas N1, Las Vegas N2, Los Angeles N1, Los Angeles N2, Boston N1, Boston N2
    2025.....????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????
    John Densmore speaking about about selling music to commercials:

https://youtu.be/_-b5Sj1H5k0

(also touching on Eddie Vedder singing with them)
  • PapPap Posts: 28,775
    Athens 2006 / Milton Keynes 2014 / London 1&2 2022 / Seattle 1&2 2024 / Dublin 2024 / Manchester 2024