For fans outside of NY, What’s with the hype about MSG.

Comments

• NYCPJNYCPJ Posts: 764
    edited February 2020
    KN219077 said:
    Never been to MSG, and I have no horse in this race, but I know other bands than just pj have this hype around MSG. Look at Phish, they can sell out a 4 night run instantly at the venue.  Personally, I’d rather see PJ at the Gorge than an arena. 
    Yep - lots of bands treat it as something special.  It was always a great venue for bands like the Stones and Zep, who each recorded live albums and films there.   The Who  and the Dead had many legendary multi-date runs at the Garden.   MSG goes back to the 1800s, but this is the third version, which has been around since 1968.  And any major touring band since that time has played there (Hendrix, the Doors, Blind Faith Pink Floyd, Cream,  Bowie, to name a few) .

Also, given the presence of the entertainment industry in NYC (and the fact that many artists live here), guest stars appearing on stage are frequent occurrences  (one of the most famous involved John Lennon's last live  concert performance, where he jumped onstage at an Elton John concert to play Whatever Gets you through the night, Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds and I saw her standing there). I was at a McCartney show la year or two ago and Springsteen joined him for the encores (I was sitting behind Gene Simmons!) Of course, recent Pearl Jam shows have included appearances by Sting, Robin Zander/Rick Nielsen from Cheap Trick and Ace Frehley.   Once again - -doesnt necessarily in itself make for a legendary show, but not necessarily a common occurrence in most other cities (yes, I am aware that special guests show up in other cities, particularly LA -- its just very common in NYC)

Not saying any of this means MSG shows are better or that smaller markets won't get amazing shows.  Its all subjective in any event.  But it is not as if MSG is solely being hyped by NYC residents on this forum-  there is 52 years of concert history to back it up.  Perhaps if more people think its overhyped or a dump, it will be easier for us to get tickets next time!

Post edited by NYCPJ on
    6/3/06 (East Rutherford 2)
    6/24/08 (MSG1)
    6/25/08 (MSG2)
    7/1/08 (Beacon Theater -NYC)
    10/30/09 (Philly3)
    5/18/10 (Newark, NJ)
    5/20/10 (MSG1)
    5/21/10 (MSG2)
    10/18/13 (Brooklyn 1)
    10/19/13 (Brooklyn 2)
    5/1/16 (MSG 1)
    5/2/16 (MSG 2)
    3/30/20 (MSG)
    9/3/24 I(MSG1)
    9/4/24 (MSG 2)
  • CROJAM95CROJAM95 Posts: 9,779
    ceska said:
    CROJAM95 said:
    Inferiority complex’s are funny.... NYC isn’t for everyone

just like butthole, Mississippi or some other place getting welfare from all us assholes here

Not sure what Mississippi getting "Welfare from all us assholes here" has to do with anything...considering MSG is getting plenty of its own welfare... ~ 40 million per year in fact. Corporate welfare in the USA is OK I suppose, but not for poor/rural people.

"Since 1982, Madison Square Garden has gotten a full property-tax exemption that saved the arena owners $54 million in 2015 alone. 

The state Legislature granted the break after the New York Rangers and New York Knicks threatened to move out of the arena.

The Legislature has considered over the years whether to cut the tax break or limit it, but it has never gained any traction. "

Our local sports writer used to calll MSG "The World's Most Ovverrated Arena."

Talkin NY.... I fuckin hate the MSG Ownership/management crooks
  • CROJAM95 said:
    ceska said:
    CROJAM95 said:

just like butthole, Mississippi or some other place getting welfare from all us assholes here

Not sure what Mississippi getting "Welfare from all us assholes here" has to do with anything...considering MSG is getting plenty of its own welfare... ~ 40 million per year in fact. Corporate welfare in the USA is OK I suppose, but not for poor/rural people.

"Since 1982, Madison Square Garden has gotten a full property-tax exemption that saved the arena owners $54 million in 2015 alone. 

The state Legislature granted the break after the New York Rangers and New York Knicks threatened to move out of the arena.

The Legislature has considered over the years whether to cut the tax break or limit it, but it has never gained any traction. "

The Knicks are always a mess of their own creation
    Reading 2004
    Albany 2006 Camden 2006 E. Rutherford 2, 2006 Inglewood 2006,
    Chicago 2007
    Camden 2008 MSG 2008 MSG 2008 Hartford 2008.
    Seattle 2009 Seattle 2009 Philadelphia 2009,Philadelphia 2009 Philadelphia 2009
    Hartford 2010 MSG 2010 MSG 2010
    Toronto 2011,Toronto 2011
    Wrigley Field 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Brooklyn 2013 Philadelphia 2, 2013
    Philadelphia 1, 2016 Philadelphia 2 2016 New York 2016 New York 2016 Fenway 1, 2016
    Fenway 2, 2018
    MSG 2022
    St. Paul, 1, St. Paul 2 2023
    MSG 2024, MSG 2024
    Philadelphia 2024
    "I play good, hard-nosed basketball.
    Things happen in the game. Nothing you
    can do. I don't go and say,
    "I'm gonna beat this guy up."
  • stickmanstickman Posts: 1,008
    I assume he’s joking ! 
  • JW269453 said:
    KN219077 said:
    Never been to MSG, and I have no horse in this race, but I know other bands than just pj have this hype around MSG. Look at Phish, they can sell out a 4 night run instantly at the venue.  Personally, I’d rather see PJ at the Gorge than an arena. 
    Let’s be honest, Phish selling out 4 nights just shows how many people enjoy “recreational” drug use. 
    Really?
    Phish sold out 13 nights at the Garden in Summer 2017 and didn't repeat any songs.  Phish shows are two sets (hour-hour and a half each set and an encore).  They played 237 songs over the run.
    Phish's sober group on Facebook has over 60,000 members.  Pearl Jam's is basically inactive.
    Just saying.
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    JW269453 said:
    KN219077 said:
    Let’s be honest, Phish selling out 4 nights just shows how many people enjoy “recreational” drug use. 
    That’s a very uneducated statement. That would be like someone else saying that the only reason PJ can sell out msg is people wanting to relive the 90’s. Phish is constantly pushing forward and really works hard to make stuff interesting for their fanbase. 
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,269
    It was simply a stab at humor. When a band or it’s fans carry a very specific stigma it isn’t uncommon for it to be brought up. Not intended as a dig at them or their fans, arguing on the internet isn’t my style.
  • JW269453 said:
    It was simply a stab at humor. When a band or it’s fans carry a very specific stigma it isn’t uncommon for it to be brought up. Not intended as a dig at them or their fans, arguing on the internet isn’t my style.
    Are you going to OKC?
    I'm heading up from Dallas.

I figured you were joking but had to throw my two cents in.  Plus, just thinking about the Bakers Dozen brings back amazing memories and gets me excited to head back to MSG, this time for my first PJ show there.  I'm very lucky to have always had friends or family to stay with.  Otherwise I'd never be able to afford it.

I think I've taken about a dozen trips (flights) to see Phish at MSG from Dallas.  
    Dallas 2013 
    Wrigley 2016 Night 1
    Wrigley 2016 Night 2
    MSG 2020
    OKC 2020

• YefaYefa Posts: 1,133
    You see me empty, Sir, do not pause and inquire, simply assume and refill.
    - Al Swearengen

http://www.cantstoptheserenity.com
  • KN219077KN219077 Posts: 1,071
    JW269453 said:
    It’s all good, I’m not even a big fan of Phish. I just respect what they’ built outside of the mainstream channels that bands usually take.  
  • MR242791MR242791 Brooklyn NY Posts: 669
    edited February 2020
    mcgruff10 said:
    MR242791 said:
    NYC is overrated
    How so?  What about nyc disappointed you?
    I've been living here all my life.  over forty years.  it's dirty, overcrowded, overpriced and half the real new yorkers are gone.  and i don't even recognize the skyline anymore with all the ridiculous new sky rises.  
    Post edited by MR242791 on
    38 concerts and counting
    "I know I was born and I know that I'll die, the in between is mine"
  • New York - got the ways and means
  • EB218946EB218946 Posts: 3,924
    Let’s do something positive today and help someone in need.  
  • Living in Baltimore I've seen a handful of bands there.
    Other than the obvious list of unlimited tourist attractions in NYC, I find it pretty overrated.
    No doubt aside from putting a feather in your concert cap saying you saw someone there it's pretty "Yawns"
    2013 Baltimore
    2016 Philly1 
    2016 Fenway2
    2016 Wrigley 2
    2016 Temple of the Dog MSG
    2016 Temple of the Dog Seattle2
    2017 Soundgarden Detroit   RIP Chris Cornell
    2018 Seattle1
    2018 Seattle2
    2019 Chris Cornell Tribute LA
    2024 Baltimore 

• I've lived in NY most of of my life. NYC is about 1.5hrs away. I've seen a LOT of shows there. That said, the PJ shows I've seen there were decidedly mediocre. It's a historic venue, absofuckinglutely. But I'd take PJ in Boston ANY day over MSG. And if I had the money to see the band in other parts of the country I'd go to Phoenix or somewhere else. That's why this is the 1st tour in 20 years I didn't even put in for. 
  • OK fine I'll answer. Every single show they've played there has been legendary. It has nothing to do with the state of the building or how new it is or how much of a dump it might be. There's a reason everyone and their damn friends wants tix to see them at MSG. The band gives everything on that stage and the audience gives everything back. 
    Wrong. Those 2008 shows were duds. There’s a handful of amazing shows they’ve done at MSG but I’ve seen just as good or better in Philly and Boston. 

Absolutely agree. I went to both those shoes, Hartford, and both MA shows that tour. Hartford was ABSOLUTELY the best and the MSG shows were the worst of the bunch
  • ComeToTXComeToTX Posts: 7,760
    I remember being really excited to see them on the east coast because those shows were supposed to be so much better. They’re not. They’re great because it’s Pearl Jam but I haven’t noticed any huge difference in shows in any part of the country. 
    This show, another show, a show here and a show there.
  • densandensan Posts: 563
    edited February 2020

I think Morison stated best even though they were not specifically playing at msg. Something like the West coast has all the beauty, but the East coast has the grooviest people. They are different in a very cool way.  Something special about their passion for the music. 

Post edited by densan on
    Be different & make a difference. Decency & kindness @ a grassroots level works.
  • Lerxst1992Lerxst1992 Posts: 6,532
    mcgruff10 said:
    It’s NYC. It is what people always hear about with huge bands. We love NYC and usually make a trip out of it. 
    I saw night 2 in 2016. Wish I would have been there for night 1. This was the moment I committed to seeing both shows at a city moving forward. 

Sting and cheap trick was cool, but personally I would rather have a deep set list than a number of old rockers/cover songs being played. Nothingman, Leatherman, Better man was pretty awesome, though. 
    Also, we sat next to two people who never stood up the entire show. It was ten club seats. Pretentious guy and girl. They also got up and left in the middle of the first encore. All I could think was how bad some people would have wanted those seats. 

It was a great night. But to say MSG sounds any better, it just doesn’t. Plus the $30 vodka drinks is cool? Nah.
    $30 vodka drinks?!?!

My name is Vod, Vod Kanockers.
  • PJNBPJNB Posts: 13,429
    Show of the tour calling it now! 
    jimcsot said:
    When you can play the Garden, you have arrived. My favorite place to see shows. PJ 98 was their arrival. Garden shows get reviewed as well and bands usually bring it
    I disagree ‘98 was their arrival. I was a senior in HS in ‘91 and they were already buzzing on the east coast. However, come ‘94 they were really breaking into the mainstream, as were so many other Seattle bands. I saw PJ for the first time April 6, 94 in Springfield, MA. Very aggressive show. Eddie was not jumping all around the stage. He was still and intense. IDK, it’s hard to replicate that moment in time for me. It felt like there was a Gen X revolution taking place in the moment.

They played MTV Unplugged in Prime Time back when there were only 30 or so cable channels in March 1992 IIRC. How is that not arriving?
    ceska said:
    CROJAM95 said:

The World’s Most Rat Infested Arena

plus the rags play there, disgusting.
    CROJAM95 said:
    ceska said:
    CROJAM95 said:

Dolan is truly a jerk and a silver spoon.

and states like NY are called Donor States because we get about 75 cents back on every dollar of federal taxes while smaller southern states get about $1.20 back.

https://www.governing.com/week-in-finance/gov-taxpayers-10-states-give-more-feds-than-get-back.html
  • They obviously realize how special it is. I’m sure they could have gotten any 15 dates they wanted in Brooklyn, yet instead of returning to crappy Barclays without a soul, they decided to thread a needle and pick the only single date MSG isn’t busy to do a single show.  

It’s real and it’s fantastic. 

(No, I’m not saying they would have played 15 shows). 
    Sorry. The world doesn't work the way you tell it to.
  • cp3iversoncp3iverson Posts: 8,680
    I just like historic arenas.  Great shows in there. 

94 Boston Garden
    98 MSG
    03 Spectrum

all insane crowds.   The acoustics aren't necessarily  better but the crowds are noticeably louder in those buildings. 
  • Get_RightGet_Right Posts: 12,810
    MSG used to have the worst sound until the renovation which was 2013 I think? It is MUCH better now.
  • Iconic. Enough said. That goes for the city, the venue, and the band. Those three things alone make a trip to NYC to see PJ at MSG well worth one's while.
  • FiveBelowFiveBelow Posts: 1,269
    JW269453 said:
    Are you going to OKC?
    I'm heading up from Dallas.

I figured you were joking but had to throw my two cents in.  Plus, just thinking about the Bakers Dozen brings back amazing memories and gets me excited to head back to MSG, this time for my first PJ show there.  I'm very lucky to have always had friends or family to stay with.  Otherwise I'd never be able to afford it.

I think I've taken about a dozen trips (flights) to see Phish at MSG from Dallas.  
    That’s some serious dedication. Got 1 in the pit for OKC which seems to be what most people ended up with on here. Gonna hit Denver too and hope for at least 1 Texas show in the Fall. Maybe a 20 year Lubbock reunion...one can dream!
  • MG79478MG79478 Posts: 1,665
    If MSG is so overhyped, why the hell does everyone from around the damn world try to get tix to all the shows, making it nearly impossible for locals to see their favorite band at their hometown arena? Asking for a friend.
    I've seen PJ at MSG at least 3 times. I can say without a doubt it is probably the last place I ever want to see them again.  It's a pain to get to and from, the arena itself is nothing special, and the only thing I want to do in NYC is get out as quickly as I can.
  • rummyrummy Posts: 4,436
    MG79478 said:
    If MSG is so overhyped, why the hell does everyone from around the damn world try to get tix to all the shows, making it nearly impossible for locals to see their favorite band at their hometown arena? Asking for a friend.
    I've seen PJ at MSG at least 3 times. I can say without a doubt it is probably the last place I ever want to see them again.  It's a pain to get to and from, the arena itself is nothing special, and the only thing I want to do in NYC is get out as quickly as I can.
    https://media1.tenor.com/images/a3fa29c9bbcb508570483505468425fc/tenor.gif?itemid=3722565